Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

shame on an IGA posted:

Cole you heart's in the right place but what they need, in every disaster, is hard cash money to buy the same goods at wholesale prices from a giant warehouse where they're already packed in bulk and close to shipping infrastructure.

Individual retail goods donations are both an inefficient use of your money and often actively harmful by diverting logistics resources from where they're most needed.

I unfortunately didn't make the rules on this. I wanted to accept cash in addition to hygiene items and was overruled. I'm doing what I can with the guidelines I was stuck with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Wouldn't sovereign immunity apply to acts committed while in office even after the President leaves office?

No, but bootstrapping state/federal and state/state sovereign immunity might be an interesting (though probably unfruitful) way to argue for expanded Presidential immunity. (Mostly because a former president is no longer the/a unitary executive)
The jurisprudence surrounding post impeachment criminal proceedings as a general matter as well as Ford's pardon of Nixon after he resigned makes it pretty clear that expectation is that presidents can be criminally charged after they've left office.
Nixon v. Fitzgerald is a supreme court case that says the President is immune from _civil_ lawsuits for actions taken while President and not in violation of clearly established law. Criminal liability was _not_ immunized.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Remember that equifax website to see if your data was compromised? Well in not very shocking turn of events

https://twitter.com/gizmodo/status/910617971764101121

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol get wreked idiot

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Remember that equifax website to see if your data was compromised? Well in not very shocking turn of events

what the loving poo poo

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm so glad my identity got stolen because of OPM and there's already a 7-year fraud alert on my credit reports. Because I haven't done poo poo about the Equifax thing.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vasudus posted:

I'm so glad my identity got stolen because of OPM and there's already a 7-year fraud alert on my credit reports. Because I haven't done poo poo about the Equifax thing.

:same:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha.

That's all I've got. That's my response.

I mean... goddamn.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Ken Burns Vietnam is real good. I just real bad that we'll never have the tapes of Bush/Obama/Trump/(Pence) talking to people like LBJ and McNamera.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

So who has the best Always Sunny in Philadelphia banner for this? Cause at this point it's about the level of sophistication I'd expect from those two.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol get wreked idiot

As you can clearly see he already did :eng101:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Well gently caress.

Another earthquake, this one about 200 miles from Japan

http://www.newsweek.com/earthquake-hits-japan-fukushima-668502

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
maybe the sun has like 4 billion years left but it seems like earth is at that age where all the health problems from chain smoking, boozing, and eating nothing but fast food for all of your adult years starts to pop up (your 40s?)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Syrian Lannister posted:

Well gently caress.

Another earthquake, this one about 200 miles from Japan

http://www.newsweek.com/earthquake-hits-japan-fukushima-668502

zeroing HAARP for when we rock the norks

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

maybe the sun has like 4 billion years left but it seems like earth is at that age where all the health problems from chain smoking, boozing, and eating nothing but fast food for all of your adult years starts to pop up (your 40s?)

It's us, humanity. We're all earth's bad habits.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mr. Mambold posted:

It's us, humanity. We're all earth's bad habits.

I always imagine it like Earth has herpes and all the other planets are all, "oh god get away I don't want to catch anything from you" but Mars is thinking "Eh, been awhile. I'm desperate"

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

bird food bathtub posted:

I always imagine it like Earth has herpes and all the other planets are all, "oh god get away I don't want to catch anything from you" but Mars is thinking "Eh, been awhile. I'm desperate"

Herpes Zoroaster. We're a weird species.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Good luck on the job search, Tim.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojOxXFJakSE

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i watched that episode when it aired and didnt think anything was going on.

lawrence is my homeboy though

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yeah I'm on his side. If you're doing a live TV show and your earpiece is hosed, in addition to control room problems, then add some rear end in a top hat hammering during the show, it's pretty reasonable to start cussing.

Still funny as hell. Bonus points for having a no-strings apology.

https://twitter.com/Lawrence/status/910646063522041856

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah live tv is stressful enough.

dude owns.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I dunno, I've always thought he's kind of obnoxious. I like Maddow though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i just get a laugh with how obnoxious he is, thats why i like it.

lately with maddow ive been fast forwarding her interviews. her russia stuff tonight was pretty insane though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i hatewatch morning joe a lot more than i should to be honest

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I saw a hilarious mashup with hammertime earlier but can't remember what thread I saw it in.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

I saw a hilarious mashup with hammertime earlier but can't remember what thread I saw it in.

https://twitter.com/ryanmiddleton/status/910634422734659584

https://twitter.com/DavidRutz/status/910631632507428866

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Don't we have a Carrier/Sub that is on some non operational rotation that we could park off of San Juan and at least give them some power generation while they are rebuilding the power grid?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Flikken posted:

Don't we have a Carrier/Sub that is on some non operational rotation that we could park off of San Juan and at least give them some power generation while they are rebuilding the power grid?

I don't think generation is the main issue.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Flikken posted:

Generators would be much more useful in this situation.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

its been a day since I last heard about my mom and dad. My brother, his wife and godson are OK.

but puerto rico is turbo hosed.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If nothing else, this will speed up any projects to bury power lines!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
We have poo poo headed over there, right? Helicopters and relief ships or whatever?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ElMaligno posted:

its been a day since I last heard about my mom and dad. My brother, his wife and godson are OK.

but puerto rico is turbo hosed.

Hey man, I know this is a poo poo time for you but hopefully your parents are just away from a means of communication. You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers dude. Hope you make contact soon. Stay positive!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Believe I saw some stuff about them activating some of the ROS stuff to head there. Not sure what the Mercy is up to, I think she is the Atlantic one and will probably be headed there if she is not doing anything.

There are a limited number of 24 hour ROS ships and with the sequester extended activations are tough so if MSC doesnt have poo poo floating around its going to take money and Marad.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

They pre positioned the Fairfax rescue group there and I think the joint NYPD/FDNY/EMS group is heading there as well, (they hurt got back from Harvey/Irma) but that's a drop in the bucket.

Edit: both groups are part of the thirty odd national FEMA search and rescue groups

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

lightpole posted:

Believe I saw some stuff about them activating some of the ROS stuff to head there. Not sure what the Mercy is up to, I think she is the Atlantic one and will probably be headed there if she is not doing anything.

There are a limited number of 24 hour ROS ships and with the sequester extended activations are tough so if MSC doesnt have poo poo floating around its going to take money and Marad.

OSI has apparently been doing turbo activations so I'm sure something is getting broken out.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
PR was flirting with insolvency. I don't know how they'll recover with weeks long business shutdown.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Maybe they could take all that money slated to make a wall...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

joat mon posted:

Nixon v. Fitzgerald is a supreme court case that says the President is immune from _civil_ lawsuits for actions taken while President and not in violation of clearly established law. Criminal liability was _not_ immunized.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking of. I feel pretty dumb now for not remembering Ford's pardon, which pretty obviously means that ex-Presidents can face criminal charges.

• Locked thread