Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Shine on, Colored Pencils Lady. If you wanna spend a ton of money on supplies because it makes you feel more authentic, that's cool.

I was a hard-core artfag in high school. One of our core members was this rich girl who always had the most expensive materials, but didn't have much ability. The rest of us were scholarship kids and would look upon her gloopy canvases with despair. "Three whole tubes of Golden went into that painting of what appears to be a melting fairy with trisomy 21." "FFFFFFFFFF--"

look at all these noobs trying to learn to draw manga and not using Pigma Micron pens, lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

LentThem posted:

look at all these noobs trying to learn to draw manga and not using Pigma Micron pens, lmfao

I'm sorry, if this is a reference, I'm not familiar. I have no idea how this connects to what I said at all.

WarpedNaba posted:

Maybe she was planning to market it as a postmodern work? That might be how her folks got rich - selling gloss portraits of a brick on a plate.

I believe she now owns a ballet studio? Or something like that. Probably Pilates; basics with cash to burn always start Pilates studios. (Source: I have a Pilates mom.)

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
I just saw this comment YouTube and thought I'd share:

Chinese "grey area" logic:
Two plus two equals one more than three and one less than five OR a number that is a bit higher than one and a lot lower than ten.

It shoud help out a lot of people who are yet to understand the dragon.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

angel opportunity posted:

check out this response, bearing in mind the picture she posted in the OP:

Response by her to someone else, as the student becomes the master after a fortnight?

Or a response to her from an "Artiste" expert, in which case bear in mind that it's not Fable Castell, it's Faber-Castell, and I nearly actually mentioned them in my earlier post as cheap but plentiful, and yes their coloured pencils do somehow manage to both pencil and to colour, fancy that!

Look if this discussion was about brushes, sure, there is a huge range of quality (though that quality doesn't stop you learning how to paint) but coloured pencils?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

It's a she, and the posts were made few a few days ago (she posts very often). I'm guessing she's between 30-40 years old from the posts I've read of hers

So sad, so leftover. Post 26 girl :(

Where to buy Fubar Costell in the China?

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
What in the world is going on here?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I bought Liquitex acrylics off Taobao that were actually Liquitex, as far as I can tell. Not that it's a very upmarket brand, but I know people who work for Golden and I know darn well there isn't likely to be actual Golden acrylics available on Taobao.

I did buy those knockoff Copic markers they sold at Miniso and they weren't colorfast, but otherwise were fine for my occasional-hobby level of art production.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bajaj, what's been happening?

Seen any bobs?

What new delicious things have you eaten (not including lasagne)?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
RIP the dream. Taqu, the sex-doll sharing app, suspended already.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/09/sex-doll-sharing-service-taqu-suspended-after-angering-chinese-communist-party/

Vapor Moon fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 20, 2017

chinese hair cave
Aug 23, 2017

by Cyrano4747

drat

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Steakandchips posted:

Bajaj, what's been happening?

Seen any bobs?

What new delicious things have you eaten (not including lasagne)?
Not much. I got a reverse osmosis filter for house. I rode my bike around in the terrifying traffic. Went to the gym. Other than playing with a street puppy, I didn't have anything exciting going on this week. In a couple weeks I'll get on a train and go see Chaoshan Girl and hear about her endless diarrhea.

I didn't even eat anywhere interesting this week besides at my friend's restaurant and snack counter (endless milk sweets and gulab jamuns, though). I plan to go out on Saturday and try some delights. Some of my friends got all strict and don't eat onions or garlic anymore, and my other friend works too much, so I have to go alone for early-evening eats. I have made it my mission to try all the frankie places around. Last week I had an amazing Franklin that somehow reminded me of Taco Bell so much. If anyone is familiar with the Cheesy Bean and Rice burrito with the cheesy cilantro sauce, it was similar to that but.. Indian.
I had a grilled cheese sandwich that was the driest breaded thing I have ever eaten. It was legitimately a chore to eat but I paid for it and had to finish it. I don't even remember what was in it besides slime.

A bunch of monkeys died when they grabbed live wires to swing, promptly turning into smoked simians. It blew out the power in the neighborhood. LOL.

Navratri starts tomorrow, which means garba in Gujarat. Nine days of dancing and spinning in circles in the purposely gaudiest and ugliest clothes to blown-out drum beats and women going "AhhhhhhHHhhHHH."

I'll probably go to one night of it, but even the cost of passes to the big arena for "spectating" are most likely sold out. 20 thousand people dancing in unison at once.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bajaj posted:

A bunch of monkeys died when they grabbed live wires to swing, promptly turning into smoked simians. It blew out the power in the neighborhood. LOL.

I don't know why but like 90% of the electrocution videos I run across on the internet are always india. India seems to just be a very electrically unsafe place. Tons of people grabbing onto the overhead lines above train tracks, moving scaffolds or metal poles under high voltage lines, digging into underground cables. I try to avoid death videos but almost every time I've seen death its been indian electrocution.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
http://www.mitbbs.com/bbsdoc/Returnee.html

lol I found a subforum for "returnees" meaning people who went to Wai Guo and came back to China.

First thread title:

美国相对中国自由,但美国的亚裔自由度不如黑裔拉丁

America may have more freedom than China, but Americans of Asian descent have less freedom than blacks or latinos

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

From same guy:

美国某些景区公园没有手机信号,不如中国

"America has a lot of national parks with no cell phone reception, not as good as China."

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
man just those two posts are so gloriously lacking in self awareness

it's beautiful

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh hey that article I wanted to post was on my mobile...
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/...VJqav%3Famp%3D1

It's nothing new, but I gotta admit that when it comes to SE-Asia I rely on my buddies more, so stuff like this is interesting

lol I found a subforum for "returnees" meaning people who went to Wai Guo and came back to China.

First thread title:

美国相对中国自由,但美国的亚裔自由度不如黑裔拉丁

America may have more freedom than China, but Americans of Asian descent have less freedom than blacks or latinos
please do the needful and bring more

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

First thread title:

美国相对中国自由,但美国的亚裔自由度不如黑裔拉丁

rofl

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Oh hey that article I wanted to post was on my mobile...
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/...VJqav%3Famp%3D1
it's brilliant that they talk about zheng he in that article as a parallel for their modern day activity because zheng he was the one who hosed everything up so bad he brought an end to 'grand' dynastic rule in chinese history

what's even funnier is that the article writer clearly knows this as he explicitly says "there's some lessons for the ccp in the unvarnished version of that tale" but he's too much of a pussy to point out how loving stupid the rope trick is. zheng he did exactly the same poo poo of 'selling' on credit to people who couldn't pay while taking little in return (like the goddamn giraffe), with the idea that when they defaulted on their loans they'd just take everything of value, and this would somehow work out in the end.

anyone who thinks this is an actual route to broad ownership and power has a little catching up to do regarding 2008.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Some of the BBS posts are like...funny enough to read if you speak Chinese, but not funny enough to warrant me spending 20 minutes translating.

I read one that was like "Want to lose face? Go abroad!" And it had a whole paragraph about spitting on the street. It sounds funny but that is me cherrypicking the funniest aspects of it into a summary. My wife is in labor but I'll keep "laboring" for you guys and finding funny threads

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
AO gonna be a dad!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

"America has a lot of national parks with no cell phone reception, not as good as China."

oh my god lol

*looks over the vast expanse of the Grand Canyon, one of the most inspiring pieces of natural beauty in the known universe*

If only... I could be using Wechat right now...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grand Fromage posted:

oh my god lol

*looks over the vast expanse of the Grand Canyon, one of the most inspiring pieces of natural beauty in the known universe*

If only... I could be using Wechat right now...

You're not there to personally enjoy it, you're there to take selfies and quickly put them online and brag on wechat to your friends back home.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Some of the BBS posts are like...funny enough to read if you speak Chinese, but not funny enough to warrant me spending 20 minutes translating.

I read one that was like "Want to lose face? Go abroad!" And it had a whole paragraph about spitting on the street. It sounds funny but that is me cherrypicking the funniest aspects of it into a summary. My wife is in labor but I'll keep "laboring" for you guys and finding funny threads

when my wife was in labor I was stuck in the waiting room reading Bill Simmons book The Big Book of Basketball

I actually wasn't really reading it I was more staring at it and contemplating the idea that I had created a new mini universe that had never existed before

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Baronjutter posted:

You're not there to personally enjoy it, you're there to take selfies and quickly put them online and brag on wechat to your friends back home.

Grand Canyon very famous you see...

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Baronjutter posted:

To be fair, that's exactly what happens with westerners too, save for using facebook or whatever instead.

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Extraordinary Gung fu!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Bajaj posted:

Other than playing with a street puppy

Enjoy your rabies.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I wonder what they consider to be "freedom" in America? or how blacks and Latinos are more free? The usual discrimination I hear foreign Chinese bring up about America is that some college they want to go to has a cap on the number of Chinese they will admit, or a story about an Asian person getting robbed after opening a corner store in a lovely neighborhood...

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

nickmeister posted:

I wonder what they consider to be "freedom" in America? or how blacks and Latinos are more free? The usual discrimination I hear foreign Chinese bring up about America is that some college they want to go to has a cap on the number of Chinese they will admit, or a story about an Asian person getting robbed after opening a corner store in a lovely neighborhood...

Blacks and latinos get their own racial groups for public statistics and demographics; the Noble Han is ignominiously lumped in with the Muslim Browns, Jungle Asians, and Dirty Smelly Indians

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

VideoTapir posted:

Enjoy your dog babies.
Fixed.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

nickmeister posted:

I'm not popular with white chicks and I didn't get into Harvard; my life is literally worse than living in a ghetto stuck at the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
Park says they're bringing in 'penguins from South Pole,' visitors arrive to find inflatable toys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24a-DR_BOs4&t=5s

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I missed Haier's departure. He will be missed.
https://imgur.com/LGn2SEb

edit: Somebody embed this video in these dumb gay dead forums.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

UltraRed posted:

I missed Haier's departure. He will be missed.
https://imgur.com/LGn2SEb

edit: Somebody embed this video in these dumb gay dead forums.

You should probably read the pages you skipped.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Rip haire.

How are the dead remembered in China? Or India I guess

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My favorite remember the dead thing is burning money for the deceased to have in the next life, which already sounds like youre trying to send money to someone in ghost jail, but thats loving expensive so everyone burns fake money which just seems insulting.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BONGHITZ posted:

Rip haire.

How are the dead remembered in China? Or India I guess

India: Floated down the Ganges river to join the "how the gently caress is anyone still alive" level of water pollution.

China: The CCP orders people not to die to save Face.

Barudak posted:

My favorite remember the dead thing is burning money for the deceased to have in the next life, which already sounds like youre trying to send money to someone in ghost jail, but thats loving expensive so everyone burns fake money which just seems insulting.

You can't spend real money in hell due to what I expect to be infinite inflation and why the gently caress would you burn real money you could use yourself or burn down a real house or car to send to the deceased.

Burning poo poo is fun and I would like to think that sending things to make them more comfortable in the afterlife is cool even if there is no such thing.

oohhboy fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 21, 2017

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Barudak posted:

And since burning paper copies of things is accepted as just as good, people now burn paper Ferraris and iPhones so their ancestors can have the latest things, which is cool as heck

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

haven't been paying attention to dumb groups in a while but I just saw this one

"Hey guys anyone know about southwest petroleum university"

Chinese reply: Southwest Petroleum University ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Barudak posted:

Yeah, they love burning the stuff in Taiwan. I tried to learn more about the specifics, but no one seemed to have in depth knowledge about. Especially the young people, whose pride for their culture would turn to discomfort as they realized they couldn't actually explain it and knew very little about it themselves.

Pirate Radar posted:

And since burning paper copies of things is accepted as just as good, people now burn paper Ferraris and iPhones so their ancestors can have the latest things, which is cool as heck

That sounds very mainland.

• Locked thread