Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
It's been ages since I last played this game, but Pearl is still as perfect and precious as I remember her :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Her design is really adorable.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Let's be real here. Without actual freakin' magic, how is a naive chump like Phoenix even going to stand up to the Japanifornian prosecutory monolith getting serious?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

Let's be real here. Without actual freakin' magic, how is a naive chump like Phoenix even going to stand up to the Japanifornian prosecutory monolith getting serious?

Same way he did last time: Bluffing and parrots.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Let's not forget the precedent of Judge Oooka, who may or may not have resolved the cases before him by getting testimony from such witnesses as a tree and a Buddha statue.

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
Oh you're gonna have to elaborate, there.
:allears:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Judge Oooka was a real person in Japan, although I don't expect that many of the stories about him are true. The two I mentioned above involved murders that took place with no human witnesses, but the police had a suspect in one murder that had taken place on a cliff in the shade of a lone tree. The judge ordered that the tree be brought before him to offer its testimony, and the suspect held in custody until it arrived. The suspect had asked several times to be released while the tree was fetched, because it would be difficult to cut down, and due to the angle of its growth, would fall into the river below and have to be floated downstream for retrieval days later, etc., until he realized that he'd given a thorough description of a crime scene that he'd claimed never to have seen in his life.

Another murder took place in the sight of a Buddha statue (it might have been Jizou, a protective god... he turns up in a lot of these stories as well). The judge convened the lineup of suspects in a building near the statue but out of sight of it, then asked each suspect, one by one, to go outside, place his hands on the statue, and swear to it that he hadn't committed the murder. He then checked all of their palms. Most of their hands were covered in dust that had collected on the statue, but one man's hands were clean, and he confessed. That one rather relies on the religious beliefs of the time and place, but a Jizou statue features in another story that I was reminded of while searching for more information. A merchant had just bought a roll of very rare cloth when his cart was stolen. Judge Oooka rounded up everyone who was in the market at the time, superficially questioned them, then decided to have a Jizou statue from the marketplace arrested for failing to protect the merchant from the theft. The statue was tied up in ropes and brought into court, provoking laughter from all present. The judge then held everyone in contempt of court and demanded a scrap of cloth in payment. When the merchant recognized one of the scraps as the cloth he'd purchased, the thief was caught red-handed. (Well, green-handed, since that was the color of the cloth.)

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
That was really cool. Thanks for sharing!

Of course, Judge Ooka was Japanese, and this series takes place in Japanafornia...

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

Phoenix is 7-0 now. He's beaten Paine twice, Edgeworth three times, and von Karma twice (first in acquitting Edgeworth of the death of Robert Hammond, and second in acquitting Edgeworth of the death of Gregory Edgeworth, both on the same day). He's brought down the Chief of Police and destroyed Manfred von Karma. He's already the boogeyman of the prosecutor's office.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Zerbin7 posted:

That was really cool. Thanks for sharing!

Of course, Judge Ooka was Japanese, and this series takes place in Japanafornia...

To be fair, these out of the box incrimination acts sound very much in line with the proceedings of the Japanafornian criminal court.

Slicedor27
Jul 20, 2017

Charlett posted:

I absolutely loved the first Phoenix Wright game, but by the time I got the first one, it was so hard to find the second or third that I never got around to checking it out. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this game gets better than what we have now. At least Maggey's cute.

(Also could it be that the baseball glove that looks like a bunch of bananas are not actually bananas but a baseball glove!? Mein gott.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 2: Reunion, and Turnabout
Investigation, Day 1 (Part 5)

: Hello again. We seem to be seeing a lot of each other today.

: W-What!? NO! (How old do you think I am!?)

Ini was hiding something before, so...

: I want to ask you about the victim, Dr. Grey.
: I, like, totally don't know him.

: Aaack! What is that!?
: ...?

: You can see the "lock" on that person's heart.
: Huh, what...?
: This is the power of the Magatama. Only you can see these "Psyche-Locks", Mr. Nick.
: (Psyche-Locks, huh...)
: The more someone wants to hide their secret, the more locks you will see. If it's only one, I think you can easily unlock it.
: "Unlock"...? But how?

: (I have no idea what she's talking about, but... Guess I'll give it a try.)
: You must be careful, though, Mr. Nick. If you make a mistake, it will hurt you.
: If you don't think you have the proof you need, you must have the courage to stop.

: (Well, I've got to start somewhere. Let's give this Psyche-Lock thing a try.)

Now, we need to present the Magatama.

: Ini Miney. I believe you do know who Dr. Grey is!
: I told you! Like, how many times do I, like, have to repeat myself? If you're, like, so totally sure, then where's, like, your proof?
: While it may be possible that you never actually met Dr. Grey in person, I do believe you might have at least, indirectly known of him.
: Like, what do you mean, like, "indirectly"...?
: (I should try to show that the possibility existed, for now...)

At this point, we can select from evidence. If we select an incorrect piece of evidence, nothing progresses and our legal HP bar goes down. It is impossible to lose the game while in an investigation phase, but the HP bar carries over to the trial phase - so if we use it up here, we screw up our chances at trial. However, when a Psyche-Lock is fully defeated, we regain half our max bar. At the moment, we don't actually have any evidence that can prove Ini and Grey were connected - so we can't break the lock yet. Better to come back later when we can show her something unquestionable.

: (I don't think I have enough evidence yet... I should investigate and gather some more clues before I try again...)

And so we exit the Psyche-Lock, returning the area to normal. We'll make our way back to the Meditation Room, now...

: Hey, it's you, pal! So you're going to be her lawyer, I bet.
: Yes.
: Oh... I really for bad for you, pal. Just this once, I wish I could be on your side.
: Detective Gumshoe...
: Yeah, but I shouldn't be saying that kind of stuff to you.
: Hey! You're a cute kid.
: ...
: Ha ha ha. I'm not scary. Honest!
: (Wow, I never knew Gumshoe liked kids...)
: H-Hey! I know! I'll show you something cool!
: How's this? It's a real, genuine pistol...
: D-Detective Gumshoe!! What are you doing showing her something that dangerous!
: Oh, sorry...

: What about Maya and the charges against her?
: I don't think you can win, pal. If you're talking about proof, we've got a few pieces.
: You've got proof...?
: Yeah, pal. That puffy-haired photographer's going to testify tomorrow.

: Huh?
: Remember!? I took some pictures at the murder scene inside!

: ...Besides, you must've realized by now, pal.
: There's no way anyone other than Maya Fay could've done it.
: (...!)
: (What am I supposed to say to Pearls now...?)

: About Dr. Grey...
: The victim wasn't super famous, but people still knew who he was.
: His face was all over those tabloid shows last year.
: Yeah, I know.
: I was looking through some newspapers from last year, and...
: ... Huh? I could've sworn I had... I cut an article out, but I guess I must've lost it...
: (He's searching through his pockets... And boy, are those big...)
: Hmm... It looked really interesting, too.
: Hey, do you have a copy, pal?
: (A copy of that article...? I think Dr. Grey might have brought a copy to the office when he came by...)

: About Maya's trial tomorrow...
: I've got two pieces of news for you, pal.
: Two?
: Yeah. "Bad news" and "even worse news."
: So which do you want to hear first?
: ...I don't really care... It doesn't change the fact that I'm not going to like it.
: Alright, pal. Well, the prosecutor for the trial is Prosecutor von Karma.
: WHAT!? Von Karma!?

: (He never lost a case in the 40 years of his career, and he raised a fearsome disciple. The horrible aftertaste of the evil he force-fed me is something I'll never forget.)

: But didn't Von Karma stand trial and...
: That's where the other piece of bad news comes in... The Von Karma you're facing tomorrow is actually his successor...
: Successor...?

: So, um... Who is this "successor" to Von Karma?
: Literally, pal, it's Prosecutor von Karma's kid. His kid became a prosecutor real young... like 13, and hasn't lost a trial since.
: That's what they call a "prodigy," pal.
: Hmm... Kid, huh... ... W-W-Wait a sec! Th-Th-Thirteen!? The kid became a prosecutor at the age of THIRTEEN!? I mean, a prodigy like that... I would have heard something about...
: Oh, no, no. The kid was born and raised in Germany, pal.
: That country's got a lot of stuff and is a great place to develop a person's talents.
: (Germany, huh? That's probably why I've never heard of this person. Ugh... Still, all it takes is someone mentioning the name "Von Karma",)

: (That person is already gone...)

That's all we'll be learning from Gumshoe...and this area in general. We need to stop back in the office.

: Phew. It feels like I've been gone forever. But it's only been one day... (Oh, that's right!) Where's that newspaper Dr. Grey brought the other day...?

: (This is the only thing he left behind that's going to be of any help...)

Now, let's look around.

: There is a giant building just outside the window. It's the Gatewater Hotel, a high-class, luxury hotel. Until recently, it had been a normal, business-class hotel.

: Charley. A quite decorative plant. It's a memento of my boss, Mia... who passed away. The rest of the room may be in shambles, but I always manage to care for this little fella.

: A poster of the TV action hero, the Steel Samurai. Maya stuck it up here right before she left. I wouldn't say that the Steel Samurai and an attorney's office are a good match, but Maya threatened to curse me with some magic spell... so I guess it can stay.

: It's my desk. I keep it neat for those rare occasions when I actually have a client in the office.

: Difficult-looking legal books stand in a formidable row. They mock me. ...Actually, I've neglected them for so long, a layer of dust has started to form. One of these days, I should try to build up the courage to read one... Maybe.

Okay, back to Kurain.

We present Gumshoe with the newspaper.

: Hey! It's that news story! The one about the malpractice suit!
: Fourteen patients died and it caused a huge stink.
: Yeah, but that's not all, pal. Things only got worse after that.
: You mean the car accident the nurse died in?

: I brought my own clipping with me today.
: Here, pal, this is for you.
: Alright. Thanks.

Sorry about the present button being there - I forgot to get a normal picture of this one. Whoops! However, you may note that it has some very handy information. Back to the Side Room!

And let's get back to Ini Miney. As a note, topics that produce a psyche-lock get a cute little psyche-lock symbol on them when selected from the list. I'll try and get a better shot of that next chance I get - I clicked through too fast this time.

: Ini Miney. I believe you do know who Dr. Grey is!
: I told you! Like, how many times do I, like, have to repeat myself? If you're, like, so totally sure, then where's, like, your proof?
: While it may be possible that you never actually met Dr. Grey in person, I do believe you might have at least, indirectly known of him.
: Like, what do you mean, like, "indirectly"...?
: (I should try to show that the possibility existed, for now...)

: Like, what is it? ... A story about an accident?
: Please read the victim's name.
: Um... "Mimi Miney"...
: "Miney" is a pretty rare last name, wouldn't you say? Ms. Mimi Miney wouldn't happen to be a relative of yours, would she?
: ...! So you noticed. Sh-She was my older sister.
: I'm sorry about your loss... Your sister... Was she a nurse... Perhaps at Dr. Grey's surgical clinic?
: ...!
: Grey Surgical Clinic... I don't think I need to tell you that the clinic was run by the victim, Dr. Turner Grey. Which is how you knew of Dr. Grey; you knew him through your sister!

If we had lost any of our lifebar, this would automatically refill it, up to an amount equal to, roughly, half our total bar. This is the only way to refill the bar mid-case, and works no matter how you lost the bar. That's handy, since the bar carries over across the entire trial now. We can also now get the straight answer from Ini.

: Please, tell me all you know about Dr. Grey.

: She was, like, a nurse at Dr. Grey's clinic.
: (That's what I thought...)

: I heard that, like, Dr. Grey was really tough on people. Like, a total slave driver. My sis was, like, always coming home totally wiped out 'cause she was overworked.
: Wiped out? So is that why she fell asleep at the wheel?
: That guy, like, drove my sis so hard, so, like, that's why the accident happened.
: The one where 14 patients died from malpractice?
: Yeah, like, I think that was the doctor's fault, too.

: And that pushed her to her death.
: Oh... I'm sorry...
: So, like, are we done? I've, like, already told my story to, like, everyone...
: Do you understand now, Mr. Nick? This is how a Psyche-Lock works.
: ...Well, I don't plan to pry into people's hearts unless I absolutely need to...
: The lock this time was pretty easy, but... you might meet people who aren't as willing to give in later on. If you don't have enough proof, be careful and know when to stop trying.

Now, there's not much else to see in Kurain.

: Mr. Nick.
: Hmm? What's wrong?

: R-Really? Wow, that's, um, pretty amazing...
: You are going to meet with Mystic Maya... aren't you?
: Please tell her
: I said hi.

Pearl leaves.

: Hey, wait! (She ran off... Again. Well, I know Ini's secret now, but... I still don't have any idea how I'm going to save Maya. I don't even know if I should go in there with a smile or a straight face... *sigh*)

We'll figure it out, I'm sure.

: (Wham I supposed to do!? I'm almost out of time! Can I really do anything? Can I really save her...?)
: Sorry to keep you waiting.
: (Huh? Must be Maya...)
: It's been a long time, hasn't it, Phoenix?
: ...! (That voice...)

: Even without me being here, it looks like you've learned to stand on your own.

: (But... whenever I'm in trouble, she comes to help, just like this.)

: ...!
: A lawyer is someone who smiles no matter how bad it gets, and especially when it's bad.
: Mia...
: You can't smile at the end if you haven't been smiling the whole way there. In any case, the face you're making now is no face to show a client, Phoenix.
: B-But!
: So, tell me all about it. I'm going to guess that my sister is in a lot of trouble again...

: (Mia closed her eyes, deep in thought, while she listened...)

: Mia... What am I supposed to do?
: ... It's pretty clear what a good lawyer does in this situation.
: A-And that is!? Tell me, please!
: Believe in your convictions.
: And fight for the complete acquittal of your client.

Now, presenting! First, the badge.

: *chuckle* Wow, this badge brings back a lot of memories, doesn't it...?
: I would love to stand with you at the defense table one more time.
: (Mia...)

The key.

: Ahh, the key... It's literally, the key to understanding everything that's happened in this case.
: This key?
: Phoenix, listen. Right now, that key is sitting in your hand.
: However, it shouldn't be. ... It contradicts the "facts".
: (What does she mean...?)
: I'm certain this key will be the piece of evidence that makes your case tomorrow.

Maya.

: when I'm in her body like this... But I can tell. She's very lonely and sad.
: Take good care of her, will you, Phoenix?
: I-I will...

Pearl.

: I left Kurain Village a long time ago.
: She probably doesn't remember a thing about me by now...

Morgan.

: When I left Kurain, I left Maya in my aunt's care. And now something like this happens...

Mia herself has appeared in our list, too.

: That's right. I'm already dead. But I feel very grateful to have been born a Fey...
: so I can talk with you like this...

Now, some questions.

: You think Maya's not guilty!? How can you be so sure!?
: I know she is. And I'll give you a hint as to why.
: Y-Yes?
: Mediums can't have dreams.
: Can't have "dreams"...?
: From what you told me, it sounds like Maya was having a dream while channeling.
: Yeah... She said she dreamt that she had died and had been buried in the ground.
: But that is impossible. You've heard it from her, I'm sure. When a medium channels, her own spirit disappears. Which means that it's impossible for her to dream during that time.
: ...! Then... What does this mean!?
: I think it's safe to bet that Maya was set-up.
: A set-up!?
: It's up to you to blow the lid on this case tomorrow and show how she was set-up.

: How am I supposed to prove her innocence when I have nothing to go on!?
: If you're looking for a clue, it's already in your hands.
: I-It is!?
: Just as it sounds, Phoenix, you already hold the "key".
: (R-Really...?)
: Come on, show me the "key" to this case.
: (The "key", huh? Alright, I'll show it to her; the "key" I hold.)

Except that we already did, so it just continues.

: ... You already know everything you need to know. You know what the "key" to this case is... That is enough...
: But... But! How can I win tomorrow without knowing who the real murderer is!? Who... Who could have...?

: (but the day was going to end with a turn for the surprising...)

: M-Mia!? Wh-What...!?
: What's wrong?
: (That's right. Only I can see the Psyche-Locks...)

: (But for this to be something that she would hide under lock and key from even me... What in the world is going on!?)

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 21, 2017

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I used to groan when the psyche-locks came out. But now, I can really appreciate how this persuasion mechanism adds an nice dimension to the usual gameplay.

I wanna buy Gumshoe a drink after work.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Oh goody, we get to meet my favorite character in the entire franchise soon!

That's not a spoiler, I'm talking Von Karma's kid.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Ah, Von Karma. With him being brought up, I'd like to talk a bit about the tonal difference between the first two games.

The first game had high stakes quickly. The second culprit had the justice system in his pocket, and came very close to winning in spite of his general incompetence (Mia's ghost was the one to defeat him by threatening to release the dirt she was killed over to the press to blackmail him). The fourth case's final villain was Von Karma, an ultimate prosecutor whose schemes lasted 15 years. But upon winning this case, Phoenix completed what he'd set out to accomplish by becoming a lawyer in the first place. Happy end, right?

But what comes next? Rise from the Ashes showed two answers to that question. On the one hand, it raised the stakes one last time by making the Chief of Police the main villain, with the Chief Prosecutor being dragged down with him. But on the other hand, Phoenix had been left shiftless with neither a goal nor Maya to keep him going - where before he complained over a lack of clients, at that point he'd all but closed down the office and only helped Ema because of a certain resemblance. And Edgeworth wasn't exactly satisfied with the way things were going either.

Case 1 of this game makes the court an unfamiliar place to Phoenix, with a new hostile atmosphere. Even apart from the amnesia, Phoenix is having nightmares about not being a proper lawyer anymore. And this case puts Maya at stake again, with a new Von Karma as the opposition. It's not as big as previous cases, but it's sure personal enough.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I'm gonna catch a lot of flak for this, but I'm such a sucker for the Phoenix/Mia beyond the grave love affair. It's so sad how clearly into eachother they were, but never had a chance to do anything about it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

RickVoid posted:

I'm gonna catch a lot of flak for this, but I'm such a sucker for the Phoenix/Mia beyond the grave love affair. It's so sad how clearly into eachother they were, but never had a chance to do anything about it.
Yeah, too bad they can only talk when one of Mia's relatives is channeling her. Kind of a damper.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

As long as you're not a creep about it, I don't mind shipping much. I mean, Pearl does it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I literally never read Mia and Phoenix that way. Or Maya and Phoenix for that matter. But this isn't really the time or place for that.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
So the "key" to the entire mystery is the key to the Channeling Chamber we got fro Pearl, according to Mia, because it's something Phoenix shouldn't have... Before the ritual, Maya took the key in with her to lock the door, but it turned up in Pearl's possession somehow, meaning... meaning what? That Pearl was slipped the key by Maya, or found it dropped somewhere after the fact? Or is that key still on Maya's person, and there are two keys to the Chamber?

If the latter, that certainly lends credence to the "set-up" theory... other than the fact that nobody's actually seen Maya do any of the stuff we accuse her of, of course, but then, we haven't seen Lotta's pictures...

So there's another Von Karma... if the kid has as strong a personality as the dad, this should be interesting. And apparently the Magatama can be used to persuade people to talk, rather than straight up read their minds... well, that's a little better than just telepathy, which would feel too game breaking. And skeevy for a lawyer to have.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

hopeandjoy posted:

I literally never read Mia and Phoenix that way. Or Maya and Phoenix for that matter. But this isn't really the time or place for that.

if the tiniest of babies canonically ships it, we humble man and womanchildren can do so as well

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

resurgam40 posted:

So the "key" to the entire mystery is the key to the Channeling Chamber we got fro Pearl, according to Mia, because it's something Phoenix shouldn't have... Before the ritual, Maya took the key in with her to lock the door, but it turned up in Pearl's possession somehow, meaning... meaning what?

Pearl did it, case closed. Two guilty charges, one for murder and one for shipping despite the thread's rules not to be creepy.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The only true ship is Phoenix/stepladder. Sorry, but I don't make the rules.

Edit: followed closely by Phoenix/attorney badge. He just wants to show everybody his badge...

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 21, 2017

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

Or Maya and Phoenix for that matter. But this isn't really the time or place for that.

I mean, I've always thought that Maya at the very least seems to see it that way. Pearl didn't get that idea from nowhere.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I really like the Psyche Lock mechanic. It's a nice way for the game to signal to the player "hey, they're hiding something!", and also the mechanic will be the catalyst for two of the best scenes in the game series.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

resurgam40 posted:

So the "key" to the entire mystery is the key to the Channeling Chamber we got fro Pearl, according to Mia, because it's something Phoenix shouldn't have... Before the ritual, Maya took the key in with her to lock the door, but it turned up in Pearl's possession somehow, meaning... meaning what? That Pearl was slipped the key by Maya, or found it dropped somewhere after the fact? Or is that key still on Maya's person, and there are two keys to the Chamber?

If the latter, that certainly lends credence to the "set-up" theory... other than the fact that nobody's actually seen Maya do any of the stuff we accuse her of, of course, but then, we haven't seen Lotta's pictures...

So there's another Von Karma... if the kid has as strong a personality as the dad, this should be interesting. And apparently the Magatama can be used to persuade people to talk, rather than straight up read their minds... well, that's a little better than just telepathy, which would feel too game breaking. And skeevy for a lawyer to have.

I checked the previous updates to be sure, and it's mentioned that the key is one-of-a-kind. If this was a set-up, then I'm guessing Maya had to have been knocked out and carried out of the room where she dropped the key somewhere.

Speculation, I see two possibilities here. Possibility A: the killer was already in the room before the channeling happened. They then knocked out Maya and Dr. Grey somehow (otherwise they'd shout about the intruder). The culprit then killed Dr. Grey, stole Maya's clothes and hid her behind the screen, pretended they were Maya, and was let out by Morgan where they dropped the key while going somewhere to change their clothes (that box in the side room, maybe?).

Possibility B: There's a secret passage into the room that the killer used to sneak in. They then knocked out Maya and Dr. Grey somehow, and used the secret passage to carry Maya elsewhere, and Maya dropped the key while being carried. The killer steals Maya's clothes, sneaks back in, kills Dr. Grey, allows themselves to be caught as "Maya", and then used the secret passage to sneak out once Morgan sends Phoenix and Lotta away.

Other than the possibility of a secret passage, my main question is how the killer could have knocked out both Maya and Dr. Grey without them raising any alarm.

Unless more characters in this case are introduced, the killer has to be Ini with Morgan as her accomplice/mastermind. Ini's motivation is the death of her older sister, but she's too airheaded to come up with a plan on her own. Morgan I can see being crafty to come up with this plan, and her shooing away Phoenix and Lotta when they barged in the room earlier was very suspicious. I'm guessing she wants Maya out of the way so she can set herself and Pearl as the next Masters of the clan.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mors Rattus posted:

: A poster of the TV action hero, the Steel Samurai. Maya stuck it up here rtight before she left. I wouldn't say that the Steel Samurai and an attorney's office are a good match, but Maya threatened to curse me with some magic spell... so I guess it can stay.
Typo?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't mind the magatama mechanic because you're not magically forcing them to reveal their secrets. The only thing you're magically doing is seeing that they have a secret. Everything else is just you confronting them with evidence that they're lying.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fixed, thanks.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Just for those interested, in Germany you have to do a minimum mandatory time of 6 years before you qualify to be a lawyer (4 years at university and 2 years afterwards in kind of an internship). This basically means von Karma's child skipped school entirely save maybe a single year or two at the most. The child would still be among the fastest to finish that particular career tree if you doubled the age of it starting to be a lawyer.

CVE fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 21, 2017

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Nepotism at its finest.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

At this point, we can select from evidence. If we select an incorrect piece of evidence, nothing progresses and our legal HP bar goes down. It is impossible to lose the game while in an investigation phase, but the HP bar carries over to the trial phase - so if we use it all up here, even one mistake can cost us the trial.

It's impossible for your health to start that low at trial, because at a minimum you'll have the half bar from finishing the last Psyche Lock.

Mors Rattus posted:

: ... Huh? I could've sworn I had... I cut an artical out, but I guess I must've lost it...

Typo.

LordNagash posted:

I mean, I've always thought that Maya at the very least seems to see it that way. Pearl didn't get that idea from nowhere.

Pearl has been raised in a sheltered, highly matriarchal society all her life. Romance may the only reason she can think of for a woman to spend as much time with a man as Maya spent with Phoenix.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

whitehelm posted:

It's impossible for your health to start that low at trial, because at a minimum you'll have the half bar from finishing the last Psyche Lock.

You are correct! For some reason that didn't occur to me as I wrote that.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

whitehelm posted:

Typo.

Pearl has been raised in a sheltered, highly matriarchal society all her life. Romance may the only reason she can think of for a woman to spend as much time with a man as Maya spent with Phoenix.

This, but also Phoenix and Maya always had a big brother-little sister dynamic to me. Probably because my own older brother is Phoenix's age and their interactions, especially in the first game, remind me of the two of us. Very close, prone to teasing, sometimes with intense emotions, and also very platonic.

...I also just really enjoy male-female friendships because I get sick of automatic romances in media tbh.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

...Was I the only one who shipped Maya with Edgeworth? I'm seriously wondering about this.

I don't even know why, I just like their dynamic and their interactions.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

hopeandjoy posted:

...I also just really enjoy male-female friendships because I get sick of automatic romances in media tbh.
:yeah:

For as much as the fandom loves shipping everything with a pulse(and occassional things with no pulse), the games actually do a good job of keeping main character relations 99% platonic.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

hopeandjoy posted:

This. So much this. The only thing I can do when I see yet another cliched first-girl-wins romance in a video game is roll my eyes and pretend it doesn't exist. Which is one reason why I enjoy Atlus games so much, because they generally do one of three things: reduce all "romance" in the game to easily ignored subtext or one or two missable lines of dialogue (both Devil Survivor games, SMT IV); let you choose the main character's romance, including both "platonic" and "harem" options (Persona 3-5), or simply just plain omit a romance altogether (Nocturne, Strange Journey). It's just refreshing to see a video game (or any form of media, really) ditch the tired old subplot where the protagonist and the first female character you see on-screen eventually fall into bed together. I feel it's the most clear sign that people haven't quite figured out how to write video game plots just yet. The biggest draw of video games over the more traditional storytelling of novels, theater, and TV/movies is the interactivity - the ability to allow each individual player to affect the outcome, and yet so few developers actually do that aside from allowing the player to lose. Writing romances for multiple characters (and an option for none) seems like the easiest way to actually create that illusion of interactivity, but only a few developers seem to have come to that realization; most write a game's plot, including the mandatory romance, the same way they would a TV show or a movie.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

hopeandjoy posted:

This, but also Phoenix and Maya always had a big brother-little sister dynamic to me. Probably because my own older brother is Phoenix's age and their interactions, especially in the first game, remind me of the two of us. Very close, prone to teasing, sometimes with intense emotions, and also very platonic.

:yeah:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I think that even with full anime prodigy rules in effect and the nepotism bonus, von Karma the Younger should have been aged up 4 or 5 years. Even at five years older, von Karma the Younger would be a year younger than Phoenix with six years' experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Like it or hate it, the trope of unrealistic prodigy characters is not going away.