Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yeah, if you go into the actual settings app it shows as still on, but disconnected. presumably if you switch it off in there it's actually off, but who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i mean, i get what they're trying to do here, that is "disconnect my lovely third party accessories but keep my watch working" so maybe it shouldn't say "disconnected from watch" when it isn't

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

THC posted:

i mean, i get what they're trying to do here, that is "disconnect my lovely third party accessories but keep my watch working" so maybe it shouldn't say "disconnected from watch" when it isn't

"Active" "Passive" "Off"?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
iOS 11 is super good on the SE.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ios 11 is a hideous mismash of styles with questionable ui choices, but it does run just fine on the iphone se

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

iOS 11 is super good on the SE.

the file browser is still there so nah.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
runs fine on the 5s/air 2 too but grinds to a complete halt during background app updates, which confirms my theory that things will soon return to normal

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

to whomever asked how it runs on the 6, the answer is: not really noticeably slower than 10 but probably the buggiest ios release since i updated to 8.0 on my 5s. phone has locked up at least a couple of times running the GM for the past week or so, a few springboard crashes, doesn't acknowledge bluetooth headphones have disconnected in the ui, overcast in the background is hosed

shiny new ipad pro 10.5 is pretty much bug free tho, so prob just comes from this being an older phone with like 1 dev dedicated to it

i mostly like the design changes - the ui is more readable than it was and there's some whimsy in a few of the animations which is redolent of pre-flattening apple software design, w/o being too grating (that new system keypad is loving horrible though). i even like the app store, at the very least more than i like the design they seem to have settled on with apple music. can only assume that all the effort went into those snazzy animations for the featured apps with searching still being the shitshow it's always been, right?

the new notification centre being something that behaves exactly like the lockscreen while not being the lockscreen is pretty strange. probably makes more sense in your lizard brain if you're using the notchphone. i'm theoretically ok with the loving bold titling as well but it's clearly been shoehorned in to so many apps that were clearly not designed for it at all.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

IOS 11 takes over my car audio and won't give it back over bluetooth. So I can't listen to the radio and have my phone connected at the same time. It sucks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
isn't this still beta or has a gm dropped?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
eh honestly i haven’t come across any benefits so far and a couple minor things i don’t really care for. i normally open phone with touchid but if i swipe open a notification put in the code but now you gotta push an extra button and wait extra sec for code. feels slower now :/ i’ll get used to it and it’ll soon be normal but i was content with how it was

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
[quote="“echinopsis”" post="“476597283”"]
eh honestly i haven’t come across any benefits so far and a couple minor things i don’t really care for.
[/quote]

same like for instance this

I know I'm in messages iOS why do you have to waste screen space telling me this

however I do like how it will show a tiny version of the screenshot when taking one so you can tap into it and edit it quickly, that's p nice 👍

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Linguica posted:

ah, of course

just checked and this is true oh my god why

coke
Jul 12, 2009

My Linux Rig posted:

same like for instance this

I know I'm in messages iOS why do you have to waste screen space telling me this

however I do like how it will show a tiny version of the screenshot when taking one so you can tap into it and edit it quickly, that's p nice 👍
because they are catering to the dumbest motherfuckers eg. the so so stupid fake wifi toggle button in control center for people ":qq: i forgot to turn on my wifey so now i have no more data :qq: "

"this is a thing that doesn't really do what it meant to do"

you go outside, click on turning off the wifi button because it has a noticeable drain on battery life if you leave it on, or if you just dont want it to hop on the random 'xfinity'/'attwifi' that will present you a loving authentication page while you are doing something else

when you get to another place with wifi, you slide up the control center and sees the wifi is still on?? what if you press it again??? what the gently caress would it do then?

does it actually turn off wifi if you press it again?
did the button malfunctioned when you pressed the first time and you actually had to press twice for it to be *~truly off~*??

who the gently caress knows

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

isn't this still beta or has a gm dropped?

it dropped to the beta channels last week and to the public yesterday

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

coke posted:

because they are catering to the dumbest motherfuckers eg. the so so stupid fake wifi toggle button in control center for people ":qq: i forgot to turn on my wifey so now i have no more data :qq: "

you go outside, click on turning off the wifi button because it has a noticeable drain on battery life if you leave it on, or if you just dont want it to hop on the random 'xfinity'/'attwifi' that will present you a loving authentication page while you are doing something else

when you get to another place with wifi, you slide up the control center and sees the wifi is still on?? what if you press it again??? what the gently caress would it do then?

did the button malfunctioned when you pressed the first time and you actually had to press twice for it to be *~truly off~*??

yeah this is actually smart. wifi is still on, it's just disconnected you from your wifi at that location and won't reconnect until either your location changes significantly, you toggle it back on, or you manually rejoin the network (or 5am the next day). effectively solving the 'forgot to turn wifi back on and used up all my data' problem. if you want it fully and completely turned off you just go into settings and turn it off

it's just overanalytical busybodies who write for the verge and wear studded bracelets who are upset by it

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
my phone just told me I have a new Memory and it collected a bunch of pictures from a concert I went to in march

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

also if you get those wifu prompts a lot stop joining free wifi, forget all free wifis you've joined previously, and use your drat cellular data like god intended

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Soldier of Fortran posted:

that is ok, that screen has been worthless for a long time

this, however, is loving garbage. why the gently caress can I see exactly one featured item?

e: """app culture"""

wasn’t the app store update supposed to improve app discoverability? :psyduck:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Endless Mike posted:

it dropped to the beta channels last week and to the public yesterday

guess i'll wait a few weeks for the first round of bug patches to update.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Ios 11 is working great on my iphone 7+, and will continue to work great on my iphone 8+ when it gets here friday. Thanks Tim!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

lmao

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
ios 11 has sent my 6s battery life to poo poo thanks timb

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Blinkz0rz posted:

ios 11 has sent my 6s battery life to poo poo thanks timb

ios 10 did this too while the on device machine learning stuff chewed through everything so I assume it’s more of the same in 11

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
[quote="“THC”" post="“476601187”"]
yeah this is actually smart. wifi is still on, it’s just disconnected you from your wifi at that location and won’t reconnect until either your location changes significantly, you toggle it back on, or you manually rejoin the network (or 5am the next day). effectively solving the ‘forgot to turn wifi back on and used up all my data’ problem. if you want it fully and completely turned off you just go into settings and turn it off

it’s just overanalytical busybodies who write for the verge and wear studded bracelets who are upset by it
[/quote]

maybe it’s a good function but it works differently to the old wifi button in control centre and its clearly deceptive because everyone thinks it means “turn wifi off” (and visibly acts like a toggle, and looks like the old “turn off wifi” and every other turn off wifi button) and instead it just disconnects from current network

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

echinopsis posted:

maybe it’s a good function but it works differently to the old wifi button in control centre and its clearly deceptive because everyone thinks it means “turn wifi off” (and visibly acts like a toggle, and looks like the old “turn off wifi” and every other turn off wifi button) and instead it just disconnects from current network

this confusion could have been avoided if apple was more open

i think tims attemt to crack down on leaks just results in stuff like this because while you might to get 2000 coders in california to keep a pretty boring secret away from the public you'll never manage to get 500,000 techno-coolies in asia to keep from leaking out pictures of the hardware they've been frantically cranking out for you

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

coke posted:

wi-fi doesnt have any effect on battery life this is not 2008 anymore. apple assumes you want it on all the time because theres literally no reason not to. same with bluetooth. good change 👍🏻

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well tbf sometimes a wifi connection is hosed and so u want to force mobile so the function works well

but u have to be a special brand of retard to not realise why people are confused when u toggle the wifi button to find out it didn’t turn
off wifi

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

echinopsis posted:

well tbf sometimes a wifi connection is hosed and so u want to force mobile so the function works well

thats exactly what the toggle does now it disconnects you from the lovely network youre on without turning it off forever you leading brand of retard

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:rolleyes:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
lol

https://twitter.com/_inside/status/910706353802551296

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

name brand retards. discount morons.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

It's nice to see that no matter how stupid Apple is, someone on the internet will still step up to earnestly defend them

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I had to resort to google to figure out how to reconnect my AirPods after updating. It really would not have occurred to me to long-press/3D Touch the music icon on the control center to bring up more options.

In fact, it’s not really explained anywhere on the device itself.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

3D Touch was the first real 'wait what' design misstep for me; hey Apple you know 'discoverability' isn't meant to be an exciting treasure hunt game ya dig

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I had to resort to google to figure out how to reconnect my AirPods after updating. It really would not have occurred to me to long-press/3D Touch the music icon on the control center to bring up more options.

In fact, it’s not really explained anywhere on the device itself.
It’s not explained, no, but you don’t have to long press anything. You just tap the arcs in the upper right hand corner of the music control to select the audio output device.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

3D Touch was the first real 'wait what' design misstep for me; hey Apple you know 'discoverability' isn't meant to be an exciting treasure hunt game ya dig

lmao, just try to figure out what the cloud icons in iTunes mean, without googling it, when you're trying to figure out why your music isn't synced with iTunes match.

I biked all around france and all the signs are pictographs since there's people from all over europe traveling around there, and all of the meanings were easily decipherable. i look at 1/2 the icons in any given app/program and I have no loving clue what they're supposed to be.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
the new apple tv also appears to gently caress up upscaling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYL7ifFBw5c

they've also always sucked at imax formats and end up pan & scan'ing them, but that's old hat

[blockquote]I was really expecting — hoping! — this thing would blow me away.

But the new Apple TV doesn’t support Atmos. And it doesn’t support YouTube in 4K HDR. And it doesn’t have Disney or Marvel movies in 4K HDR. And it makes some 1080p content look less than great.[/blockquote]

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/21/16341876/new-apple-tv-4k-review-2017

ufarn fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

wow what the fucvk

• Locked thread