Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Push El Burrito posted:

I've been reading old Fantastic Four and man, Kirby swerved from odd to great.

I always loved that everyone's eyes were huge with big lashes when Kirby drew them.

It does seem around the Galactus story they started really letting him loose though and good god.

And his Silver Surfer will always be just my favorite thing.

The guy always looked like he was about to murder you or fall off his board. Not much in between. Basically what I'm saying is Jack Kirby was a good artist who drew people oddly sometimes. And this Johnny Storm/Crystal relationship seemed forced at first but it worked out in the end.

Marvel Unlimited is awesome but there's some gaps. I was trying to read X-Men and suddenly it jumped from issue like 60 to 94. Well there were some changes around that point...

It's not that he was "let loose" it's that he wasn't forced to draw every single Marvel comic every month. I used to think early Kirby work was just bad - then I realized that he was drawing upwards of 6 or 7 22-page books a month along with co-plotting, and designing/drawing most of the covers and logos, and art director duties. Once he was able to pare it down to FF, Thor, and some cover work he was finally able to use his full creativity and talent.

Some of those early Kirby Marvels are rough to look at. I know he's a god and he did some of the most amazing graphic work every created in the mid to late 60s, but some of that early stuff is... not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GPTribefan posted:

Kirby
not great.

i'll kill you

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Maximus is obviously truly mad about fashion.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

GPTribefan posted:

It's not that he was "let loose" it's that he wasn't forced to draw every single Marvel comic every month. I used to think early Kirby work was just bad - then I realized that he was drawing upwards of 6 or 7 22-page books a month along with co-plotting, and designing/drawing most of the covers and logos, and art director duties. Once he was able to pare it down to FF, Thor, and some cover work he was finally able to use his full creativity and talent.

Some of those early Kirby Marvels are rough to look at. I know he's a god and he did some of the most amazing graphic work every created in the mid to late 60s, but some of that early stuff is... not great.

And supposedly Stan was just letting him do what he wanted, and wasn't dictating as much.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Green dude looking directly into the camera with a big sad frown is me.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Untold Tales of Spider-Man was really good man

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

purple death ray posted:

The confusingly titled prose anthology book "The Untold Tales of Spider-Man" had some great stories, too.

http://notblogx.blogspot.ca/search/label/untold%20tales%20of%20spider-man

"The Stalking of John Doe" is the one that stuck with me the most.

quote:

Peter Parker is admitted as John Doe to the psychiatric ward, hallucinating violently after being poisoned by Kraven the Hunter. Delirious, Peter latches on to Dr. Gwendolyn Harris, whose name and face remind him of Gwen. When Kraven enters the hospital, Dr. Harris trusts Peter enough to accept his request for gauzes to cover his face. He confronts Kraven, and when Kraven threatens Dr. Harris (after she futilely tries to sedate him), Peter finds the inner strength to break out of Kraven’s grip and take the fight outside

The sense of dread throughout the story is great as the reader knows Kraven is on the way, but it also sells the terror of Spider-Man himself as the doctor and attendants struggle to restrain him. I can clearly remember the image of the two big hospital guys laying into him with their best punches to his gut and Peter not even noticing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

purple death ray posted:

I loving loved that book when it was coming out. Early Spider-man was the first stuff I ever read (thank you, library), and I was really confused by the multi-part crossovers in the modern comics. And here comes a book that's just more of the old stuff, without feeling like a bunch of retreads!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I really really loved the first appearance of Cosmic Spider-Man. That was such a good costume

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Kurt Busiek loving rules. I'd love for him to replace Slott as the ASM writer.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Rhyno posted:

Spider-man Chapter One. It's possibly the hated Spider-man book ever.

Norman Osborn and the Sandman are related because they have the same hair.

I know.

I KNOW

The best part is how a long stretch of issues end in cliffhangers, only to pick up in media res in Spidey's next adventure, and have a flashback to how he got out of the cliffhanger. Like, issue ends with Spidey at Dr. Doom's mercy, next issue starts with Spidey rowing a web-boat through the Everglades looking for the Lizard, reminiscing about how he won that fight with Dr. Doom.

Byrne thinks this is staying true to the intent and spirit of the Lee/Ditko originals.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And people thought I was nuts for hating Byrne so much.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

And people thought I was nuts for hating Byrne so much.

He totally destroyed the Scarlett Witch/Vision relationship :(

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

You Am I posted:

He totally destroyed the Scarlett Witch/Vision relationship :(

Also I liked Sandman as the Thing's drinking buddy who was trying to turn over a new leaf, and Byrne couldn't even have him backslide or something. It had to be a Vince McMahon-esque evil trick, a plot to fool the heroes to do... something.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lightning Lord posted:

Also I liked Sandman as the Thing's drinking buddy who was trying to turn over a new leaf, and Byrne couldn't even have him backslide or something. It had to be a Vince McMahon-esque evil trick, a plot to fool the heroes to do... something.

I was told of some story - but have yet to track it down - that came out not long after Byrne pulled that bullshit that detailed how The Wizard had hit Sandman with a brain-scrambling ray or something and convinced him that his attempts at reforming were just an evil plot, because The Wizard missed his old buddy from the Frightful Four and wanted his friend back.

I really hope that story actually does exist because it gives Sandman's heel turn some actual dramatic heft.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I was told of some story - but have yet to track it down - that came out not long after Byrne pulled that bullshit that detailed how The Wizard had hit Sandman with a brain-scrambling ray or something and convinced him that his attempts at reforming were just an evil plot, because The Wizard missed his old buddy from the Frightful Four and wanted his friend back.

I really hope that story actually does exist because it gives Sandman's heel turn some actual dramatic heft.

That story does exist. eter Parker: Spider-Man #12 by Tom Brevoort.
This article has a rundown of the character's history and bad guy/good guy status.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This is that "as good as it gets" poo poo.

Spider-Man Annual #1, an all time classic Spider-Man issue and the highlight of the first few years of the Marvel age.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Yeah wow Ditko at the height of his powers makes your muscles tense in sympathy.

To this day, when I happen to flex my hands and fingers in an unusual way, for whatever reason, I always think "oh, Ditko would love this."

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

That is some good rear end poo poo. And so clean! Obviously hatching and linework have their place (see Mike Grell, Jim Starlin) but it got out of control at some point (Liefeld, Lee)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was reading the making webcomic thread the other day and they've got that Tom and Jerry line of action cartoon showing how to emphasize action with curves that accentuate the action for dramatic effect. With the possible exception of the Sandman fight (he uses the punching arc to similar effect though) Ditko follows it to a T.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Doc Ock been hitting the gym.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kraven's nerve punches are always suspiciously punches to the rear end...

Wish those recolours didn't need to use gradients so much. It's hard not to love the Electro page the most for its flat purple background.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jordan7hm posted:

I was reading the making webcomic thread the other day and they've got that Tom and Jerry line of action cartoon showing how to emphasize action with curves that accentuate the action for dramatic effect. With the possible exception of the Sandman fight (he uses the punching arc to similar effect though) Ditko follows it to a T.

It even makes sense to kind of break it for Sandman since, you know, he's a dude made out of sand, of course he'd break normal rules of posture and such.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

Kraven's nerve punches are always suspiciously punches to the rear end...

I love this panel is his debut issue:

Describing his smashing nerve punch and how it works in the time it takes to throw it is a superpower in itself. :D

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I like that Spidey is still really affected by the nerve punch even though he avoided getting hit where Kraven meant to hit him. That seems kind of crucial with a nerve punch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kraven still hits really hard. It's a smashing nerve punch.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't know how to find it but there's one panel of Kirby's Captain America where he's punching a guy and he's bent way backwards in his follow-through and it looks basically like that one example of Tom winding up with the newspaper except even more extreme because he's bent so far that he's looking behind him. Cap's whole body makes one, clean, spine-snapping arc.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Lurdiak posted:

Kraven still hits really hard. It's a smashing nerve punch.

your whole body has nerves, hes just trying to punch you really hard and calls it a nerve punch so it sounds more impressive

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

he calls it that cause it takes a lot of nerve to punch someone

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
he actually hasnt been training boxing for very long so he's still nervous about his form

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Lobok posted:

I don't know how to find it but there's one panel of Kirby's Captain America where he's punching a guy and he's bent way backwards in his follow-through and it looks basically like that one example of Tom winding up with the newspaper except even more extreme because he's bent so far that he's looking behind him. Cap's whole body makes one, clean, spine-snapping arc.

Is that the infamous panel with Cap saying "only one of us will be getting out of here alive... and it won't be ME!!!" mistake? I remember seeing it in all its glory in that Marvel No-Prize book they made in the early 80's

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Jordan7hm posted:

I recall How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way having a similar couple of pages.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GPTribefan posted:

Is that the infamous panel with Cap saying "only one of us will be getting out of here alive... and it won't be ME!!!" mistake? I remember seeing it in all its glory in that Marvel No-Prize book they made in the early 80's

Could have sworn it was Kirby, and the mirror image of that, but either way it's still the same pose.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

I love this panel is his debut issue:

Describing his smashing nerve punch and how it works in the time it takes to throw it is a superpower in itself. :D

Jesus H Christ, that anatomy.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Lobok posted:

Could have sworn it was Kirby, and the mirror image of that, but either way it's still the same pose.

That was indeed Kirby from Tales of Suspense.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

https://twitter.com/tyrannojones/status/913391701242163202

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Dear Batman:

Please get in the Batmobile.

Thank you

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Dear Batman:

Thank you

He knows what happens when he does that.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Dick Trauma posted:

Dear Batman:

Thank you

He's Bat-riding the Whip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I made it through the mid 80s - mid 90s of Fantastic Four comics. After the birth of Valeria there's a couple nice little stories at #55 (Reed and Sue send Johnny and Ben out to get some new tech, but a Skrull steals the Fantasticar. After a battle it turns out the Skrull is really Hank Pym with an image inducer and they just wanted to get those two out of the house so they could have a peaceful anniversary.) and #56 (about Ben's backstory, his faith, and why he lets the Yancy Street gang get away with all the stuff they do). The reason I'm posting it here is for the great Stuart Immonen art.

I'm in love with the faces.