Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

furthermore, how come they can say that word but when I say it I'm "racist" and "scaring other library patrons"

Yeah there's no difference between throwingg racist curse words at blacks and wanting to make a cool fantasy Chinese faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder if we can make a fantasy Turkish fantasy faction or is that also verboten? Where is the geographical line where it's forbidden to portray?

Neathervile
Jan 1, 2004

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://clips.twitch.tv/TawdryBetterPlumageDoritosChip

Just in case anyone missed the bell on today's stream. :allears:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

furthermore, how come they can say that word but when I say it I'm "racist" and "scaring other library patrons"

We can have sneaky hashashin fighting alongside Djinn without denigrating middle eastern people. We can have terra cotta soldiers fighting alongside kung-fu monks without erasing the humanity of chinese people

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Mans posted:

Yeah there's no difference between throwingg racist curse words at blacks and wanting to make a cool fantasy Chinese faction.

I feel this should be pretty obvious but I guess I will spell it out explicitly

the point is that the context in which you do something matters and that therefore "they made albion, the land where it always rains and you didn't complain then!!!" is not a good answer to

rockopete posted:

I honestly hope we don't get Cathay or Ind. Making a faction out of another color of humans in any fantasy setting, combined with GW's method of making armies out of outlandish stereotypes, sounds like a very hard thing to pull off without veering into cringe territory.

imo it is entirely possible to make a cool fantasy chinese/indian/arabic faction, but the existing stuff for those GW factions is... not a good start

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
reading through it now but it seems some what ok

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Redi9cZJ5iR2pCd1BxaElBR2s/view
sure it isn't GW fantasy but then again, what is

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I get where the fear comes from, Western media doesn't have the best track record on depicting Eastern cultures in a respectable light, but I get the feeling CA wouldn't cock it all up. They seem like a decent bunch.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

every time you're thinking of doing one of these, you can just, like, not do one instead. try it out!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

no one here is a dad tho

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
:vince:

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

every time you're thinking of doing one of these, you can just, like, not do one instead. try it out!
You are a massive bore and, as someone who is actually part Chinese (and black, and white), I sincerely wish you'd stop acting perpetually offended for others' sakes.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I just want to see Cathay's crazier poo poo that was mentioned in the lore. Living Jade statues? Terracotta monstrosities? They could do a LOT with that poo poo.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Mordja posted:

:vince:

You are a massive bore and, as someone who is actually part Chinese (and black, and white), I sincerely wish you'd stop acting perpetually offended for others' sakes.

if you think pontus memes are interesting I don't really care what you find boring tbh

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i like the pontus meme

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I mean I doubt you're going to have some swede get all salty about his culture being reduced to a bunch of pantsless guys riding giant hairy elephants with werewolves and one eyed rape monsters backing them up.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

china loved loving kung fu panda of all things i dont think they would be offended by a cool fantasy chinese army. romance of the three kingdoms stuff is super popular and if stuff like dynasty warriors and the monkey tv series didnt cause a racist furore i doubt cathay in warhammer would. except among white nerds

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
If you think about it it it's actually raceist to not include the Cathay and the Nipponese.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

if you think pontus memes are interesting I don't really care what you find boring tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OblXvO_aH8s

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

I mean I doubt you're going to have some swede get all salty about his culture being reduced to a bunch of pantsless guys riding giant hairy elephants with werewolves and one eyed rape monsters backing them up.
Scandinavians are proud of their heritage as barbaric, pantsless marauders. :norway: :sweden: :denmark:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Safety Factor posted:

Scandinavians are proud of their heritage as barbaric, pantsless marauders. :norway: :sweden: :denmark:

Oh, so Sigvald is historically accurate then?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

imo it is entirely possible to make a cool fantasy chinese/indian/arabic faction, but the existing stuff for those GW factions is... not a good start

Pretty much this. I have faith in CA, given their background with actual history, but Warhammer was never meant to be a sober or accurate portrayal--which is why it appeals to me!--and I have less faith in the ability of GW to be as witty and familiar with Middle Eastern, Indian, and East Asian cultures as they are with European ones. I could be wrong, but that's my fear.

And I'm not accusing anyone of racism. The word I used was 'cringe.'

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i mean theres a big difference between 80s gw and CA today. theyve changed every faction theyve put in the game in small ways, and made norsca more or less out of scraps

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

rockopete posted:

Pretty much this. I have faith in CA, given their background with actual history, but Warhammer was never meant to be a sober or accurate portrayal--which is why it appeals to me!--and I have less faith in the ability of GW to be as witty and familiar with Middle Eastern, Indian, and East Asian cultures as they are with European ones. I could be wrong, but that's my fear.

Thing is I hope that CA works their magic on those factions the same way they made Norsca actually interesting, and hey if we're shooting for a best case scenario it'd be nice for CA to actually hire Chinese and Indian unit designers and writers. I doubt that'll actually happen but we can dream.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

rockopete posted:

You're still a massive loving idiot and never say poo poo pretending you know anything about Egyptian history or culture again.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'm the boob kings

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Goons are angry beings at heart, i suspect they make good khornate daemons!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

420 Gank Mid posted:

You're still a massive loving idiot and never say poo poo pretending you know anything about Egyptian history or culture again.

i mean he's totally right, ancient egypt was completely cleared of all people and the people who live there now were shipped in from ??? for some reason. what a dumbass that guy is.

also araby is literally the arab name for arabia

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Gejnor posted:

Goons are angry beings at heart, i suspect they make good khornate daemons!

I was leaning towards Nurgle, just because of the fat and general lack of hygiene...

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

420 Gank Mid posted:

Are you ok?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Kainser posted:

Are you ok?

Americans putting on their pith helmets and pretending to know poo poo about my country gets old real fast. It reminds me of those racist conspiracy theories about how people in Africa were too stupid to build sphinxes or pyramids so aliens musta done it.

e:Also death to any white person who calls themself an 'Egyptologist"

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 21, 2017

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
*puts BEST PHARAOH mug away*

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You probably shouldn't be touching Ahmoser's mug.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

420 Gank Mid posted:

Americans putting on their pith helmets and pretending to know poo poo about my country gets old real fast. It reminds me of those racist conspiracy theories about how people in Africa were too stupid to build sphinxes or pyramids so aliens musta done it.

e:Also death to any white person who calls themself an 'Egyptologist"

How do you feel about having Settra the imperishable as your immortal head of state?

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Dude is a bloodsucker regarding taxation. This is much better than the alternate candidates who are bloodsuckers regarding... well, blood.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

unwantedplatypus posted:

How do you feel about having Settra the imperishable as your immortal head of state?

Mubarak stuck around almost as long

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

You've been pontus-bombed in two wildly different threads by two different individuals with comics that were tailor made to poo poo on your arguments, so of course you think that.

You can have cool factions with cultural flair and mythology thrown in without it being dumb poo poo, guys. Yeah, the GW "official" stuff is dumb stereotypes but CA has already proven they're better than GW at handling their IP in ever conceivable way. If Ind or Cathay somehow ever became a thing they'd be fine and probably super cool. There's no reason to rehash this argument.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I can't decide if I want to play murder elves, dinosaurs squared, floofy elves, or Frankenstein rats first. Please help, goons. Which are the least culturally sensitive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I mean making the Aztecs lizard people is probably offensive to someone

• Locked thread