Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

In what way are those two not just really good pals?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Julet Esqu posted:

Because the author is so deep into loveless nerddom that they can't even figure out how the start of a romantic relationship normally goes.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Maybe Reddick believes in traditional courtship, the type that builds up to a firm handshake on the wedding night.

Julet Esqu posted:

I can only hope that that is the expression Dez makes when she's realizing her friends are assholes.

Isn't it great that Bernice immediately jumps to the assumption that psychological problems are behind Tiffany's weight gain? I mean, the "freshman fifteen" is a thing, and you'd think a RA would know about it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

So am I just a little slow on this, or is all the evidence we've seen of Tiffany's weight gain so far just that she opened the door wearing sweatpants and a sweatshirt? I couldn't even figure out what the big shock was supposed to be at first, since I'd expect college freshmen to wear those kinds of clothes all the time if they're just chilling out in their room.

Tracksuit

You're not going to understand the punchline.

But I do, fortunately. The lead actor of Oldboy, Choi Min-sik, was also in a historical film called Strokes of Fire that came out near to the same time. They have a vaguely similar premise- basically everything you see here. Not much else aside from that and the lead actor though. Very much a you need to know the context joke.

Mother From Another Country

...Whereas this one almost makes more sense if you take the last panel outside of the context entirely.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You know you want to read a long scientific article on the use of sound effects in FOOB today.

quote:

Household sounds in their infinite variety are well represented, and are among Johnston's most original sound creations:

Example: John is shown brushing his teeth. Since he is a dentist, he naturally takes this activity very seriously. "SKRRBBLE SKOOSHLE SK..RBLL SKK.." "RINSKKKKKKKLL GRRABLE SLP SLP SLPP GRE.. SKOOSH RINSE" The sounds of his efforts pervade the background of two panels. (GLW, p.39)
Example: Toilets acting up and being treated with a plumber's friend give Johnston a chance to showcase one of her most evocative sounds: "KERFLOOMA GUSH!"
Example: Variation on a theme: "FLOOMA GUSH! FLOOMA GUSH! SKAPLOOSH SKRIT SKRIT SKRIT"
Wouldn't blame anyone for thinking it was about Don Martin.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Indolent Bastard posted:

The New Britain Rock Cats. Because of loving course it is.

I thought it was a character from Top Cat, because Gilchrist is exactly the kind of person who'd put that in.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

did he design that character too

ugh, yeah research shows he did

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Pastry of the Year posted:

Come on, Gilchrists.

I'm willing to bet that the reason these aren't bad is that they were directly copying old Bushmiller gags the whole time. It is probably what they were told to do. Why they needed both brothers to do this I can't say.
Why does he appear surprised that his young daughter doesn't want him to die?

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave, written and illustrated by Vargo's very best friend Will Henry

So, Will Henry actually contacted me on Twitter today and offered to send me an advance copy of the upcoming Wallace the Brave book as a thank-you for all the times I've promoted the strip on social media. I graciously accepted, and then we talked about kayaking. I'll take a picture when it gets here.
That's really cool!

F Minus

Mark Trail

Well you certainly wouldn't have wanted to prepare for this moment by having the meat you are going to throw at him all ready to go.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Tomorrow: A shot rings out and the Phantom falls!

Pooch Cafe

People telling me their dreams is something I find very annoying, so I really liked this one.

Oh you had a dream? It was weird and hard to follow but meaningful to you? How fascinating!

Rex Morgan MD

Is this pregnancy a surprise? I think they were hinting around that she wanted to have a kid but didn't think she could with the old guy.

Apartment 3-G

This might be a good one.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Is this pregnancy a surprise? I think they were hinting around that she wanted to have a kid but didn't think she could with the old guy.

This might be a good one.

Who got her pregnant? I thought the limo driver was going to be the one. Anyway, blondie in panel 2 has a fivehead.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Having formerly been a cottage person, that Adirondack chair print joke hits home

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Holy poo poo, I forgot all about Ham Shears! That was a dang good strip...at first. Then it sort of lost focus and felt like they didn't really know where to take the strip.

Also, Gilchrist made TOP CAT? Holy poo poo

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Johnny Aztec posted:

Also, Gilchrist made TOP CAT? Holy poo poo
He absolutely did not.

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Nice.

Lynn mentions this a couple of times in her notes somewhere...

Ah:

Lynn posted:

"Kafloompa- gush, kafloompa-gush" is my all time favorite sound effect. Coming up with words that suggest things like the screaming of brakes or the rumbling of thunder has been a sort of "art form" with cartoonists often claiming ownership. I was once accused of swiping Don Martin's (Mad Magazine) sound effects. I think the noises I came up with were "ka-thwanggg" or "ga-fwappp" or something like that. Perhaps these words were similar to Don's - but I hadn't stolen them! In the English language, there are only so many ways to spell the sound of a cream pie hitting the side of a head or a mouthful of cold peas being spat onto a plate.

Years ago, I saw an article about Rice Crispies and how "snap, crackle and pop" was written in other languages. Some of the examples were: "knisper, knasper, knusper", "rix, rax, rox," and "piff, paff, poff" none of which I thought were as descriptive as the English. So, cartoonists will continue to come up with written sound effects as long as there are images that require them and if anyone should choose to incorporate "kafloompa-gush" into their art, I will consider it, with humility and gratitude, to be a genuine compliment.

Lynn posted:

One of the things I love to do is sound effects. Trying to come up with the phonetic spelling for the sound a head makes as it hits a pillow, for example, is so much fun. ("FWUMPP" would do it). I think the sound effect I am most proud of is the sound of a toilet plunger. It goes: "Ka_FLOOMP-a-GUSH." Sometimes you have to decide whether to repeat a letter as in "FWAPPPP!" One "P" just won’t do it. A smack with a wet towel, for example has to sting. This requires several P’s.

If you are a fan of Mad magazine, you’ll remember the wonderful comic art of Don Martin. His sound effects were fabulous. I think he coined "Fwoooommmm!," and "Ka-chingggg!" One of the weirdest letters I ever received was from Don Martin’s wife accusing me of stealing her husband’s sound effects. I didn’t think I had. The sounds I wrote all came from my head. Then again, can you really lay claim to a cartoon sound? WHHHHOOOOO!!! I sure hope not!

Mea Culpa fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 21, 2017

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (February 4-5, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (February 5, 1996)

Garfield Classic (February 4-5, 1986)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
'Aw yeah, I get to bust out some Carson material for this strip!'

Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Oh, I get it now. I didn't make the connection because A: I forgot all about Ham Shears, and B: Any BBQ place worth a drat has a cannibal pig ready to serve up their brethren as their logo. Like, all of them. It might have been where the joke for Ham Shears came from.

BC forgets the difference between amphibian and reptile

Baldo

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Wizard of Id

Comrade Nate

Baby Blues

Curtis

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2003 Spiderman

Oops, missed a strip from the last week.

The Amazing Kala

Nancy

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Dez, meanwhile, is revealing herself to be the only one here who acts like a person. I wonder how the Evanses are planning to ruin her.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

...and parental example.

Mandrake

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Julet Esqu posted:

Dez, meanwhile, is revealing herself to be the only one here who acts like a person. I wonder how the Evanses are planning to ruin her.

"Maybe Tiffany just needs a deep-dicking by 10-15 guys." -- Luann.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ringo knows what the deal is, except he missed that Bernice exists, who should be kicked out of her psychology major for attempting to diagnose someone and come up with a treatment plan without talking to them and as a first-to-second year student.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Julet Esqu posted:

Are we supposed to agree with Bernice's diagnosis here or do the Evanses have enough wherewithal to present her as a dumbshit high school student who's taken a handful of intro to psychology 101 where the first thing the teacher told the class was if you're here because you like judging people get the gently caress out

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

based on their biology 101 lab I don't think accurate portrayal of college proceedings is the endgame here

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Are we supposed to agree with Bernice's diagnosis here or do the Evanses have enough wherewithal to present her as a dumbshit high school student who's taken a handful of intro to psychology 101 where the first thing the teacher told the class was if you're here because you like judging people get the gently caress out

The smart money is on agree with St Bernice but knowing this dumbass strip they'll do a sharp cut to Knute for some reason and we'll never hear about it again.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

God Luann is the worst. Bernice is a close second. "Hmm, this person I know put on a few pounds. Obviously they need serious therapy."

My Lovely Horse posted:

based on their biology 101 lab I don't think accurate portrayal of college proceedings is the endgame here
What happened in their Bio class? I know their art class is complete bullshit, but I don't remember any of the other classes being shown.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Nobody is commenting on how fast Tiffany apparently gained the weight? Especially on a college freshman budget. I mean, Ramen is high in salt, but it doesn't pack on the pounds.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

God Luann is the worst. Bernice is a close second. "Hmm, this person I know put on a few pounds. Obviously they need serious therapy."

What happened in their Bio class? I know their art class is complete bullshit, but I don't remember any of the other classes being shown.

They had to dissect a frog like they were in high school

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

Nobody is commenting on how fast Tiffany apparently gained the weight? Especially on a college freshman budget. I mean, Ramen is high in salt, but it doesn't pack on the pounds.

Dining hall buffet.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
She's teen pregnant obviously and it's Piro's

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Were handed random chemicals to mix and told to weigh the result.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Their participation in the methlab operation being unwilling won't help them at trial.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aleph Null posted:

"Freshman 15" is a thing for a reason.

And, as Luann pointed out, her father is paying for everything, so her budget probably isn't limited to ramen.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Dez hit the nail on the head. She became a goon over the summer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would ask Lurker Tiffany to reveal herself, but given how many people in this thread poo poo on Luann as a person, there's at least a few choices who it may be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bushmiller reference?

• Locked thread