Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Naked Bear posted:

I've never been summoned for jury duty. I think I'd actually enjoy it. :(

I got jury duty for a month once on a massive wrongful death lawsuit against Chrysler. It was pretty interesting/rewarding except for the whole not being paid part, although I was 18-19 and wasn't severely impacted by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

mlmp08 posted:

said no cop ever, unless it was a gun.

well if it was a gun, it was an assault weapon

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

DoktorLoken posted:

I got jury duty for a month once on a massive wrongful death lawsuit against Chrysler. It was pretty interesting/rewarding except for the whole not being paid part, although I was 18-19 and wasn't severely impacted by it.

Whatever the payout, it wasn't enough. That company deserves the fate it's avoided several times over.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59c23f23e4b0f22c4a8dce68?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Deescalation, what is it?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
If the one idiot had followed some form of escalation of force to begin with then there wouldn't have been anything to deescalate.

e: Yes, I'm well aware that I'm making that comment from the comfort of my armchair. I can sympathize with the stresses involved, I know it's never that simple, etc. There's no excuse for being a stupid, trigger-happy gently caress, though.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 21, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Hard to tell without context, but I'm not really siding with the cop here either

Also don't click play because the kid gets shot a few times on camera and dies.

https://twitter.com/Cali_Funk1/status/911268573170999296

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

what the gently caress

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

https://twitter.com/OCHAWKNEWS/status/911286918536560640

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I can't quite identify what he had in his hand..

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

DoktorLoken posted:

I can't quite identify what he had in his hand..

i havent watched it but based on comments it was a pistol mag

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Probably a pistol mag but I don't know how that cop had his belt set up. Or why they were fighting in the first place.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
EVERY other thing aside,

I get why 1 round becomes 10 rounds when there's a perceived threat.

Dude looked fine right up until his body realized it was dead.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Victor Vermis posted:

EVERY other thing aside,

I get why 1 round becomes 10 rounds when there's a perceived threat.

Dude looked fine right up until his body realized it was dead.

Dealing with someone non-compliant (for whatever reason), radio on the ground, the individual grabs something off his belt which could be mace, and then he can't draw his gun.

This particular instance is one where the fear is real. The purpose of mace is to incapacitate, and potential for the cop being incapacitated and then killed or severely injured is there.

Whether or not the situation was handled correctly leading up to this point however is yet to be seen.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Holy gently caress

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

kupachek posted:

Dealing with someone non-compliant (for whatever reason), radio on the ground, the individual grabs something off his belt which could be mace, and then he can't draw his gun.

This particular instance is one where the fear is real. The purpose of mace is to incapacitate, and potential for the cop being incapacitated and then killed or severely injured is there.

Whether or not the situation was handled correctly leading up to this point however is yet to be seen.

If that's justification, why are cops engaging people alone?

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.
I'm not saying it's justified, just that the fear is real in that situation.

As for why they are engaging them alone, do you really think the profession attracts the best and the brightest who make smart choices all the time?

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

kupachek posted:

As for why they are engaging them alone, do you really think the profession attracts the best and the brightest who make smart choices all the time?

But enough about agency administration.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

This is GiP. We all know the answer to that one.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If that's justification, why are cops engaging people alone?

In a lot of police departments, you can chalk that up to low manning. Agencies, especially smaller ones, can barely send one officer to calls, much less two.

My city has a population of 70,000, with maybe 10 officers patrolling at any given time. We have at most one officer to a district, and some officers have to cover two districts. Whenever possible, the officers from the bordering districts will respond to calls so that two or three cops are available on-scene, but sometimes that's not possible. If the bordering district officers are busy, one cop will need to handle the situation.

Manning is so low that reservists are allowed to patrol on their own and respond to calls.

It's all about budget. Years ago, my department offered competitive pay, annual bonuses for degree holders, and stipends to attend college.

During the recession, back in maybe 2009, pay stagnated and the educational bonuses were cancelled. Now we can't retain officers. 60% of my department has less than 3 years of experience. They train and qualify with my department, then laterally transfer to other agencies with better pay and benefits. A cop with three years on the job clears $1600 a month after taxes. Small wonder they jump ship.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
My local sheriff's office is open Tuesdays. We don't have a city PD, despite a population of about 20,000.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
imagine if 100+ "good guys with guns" are at a concert.

if you're a psycho, you wouldn't even need a drum mag. just fire a few rounds into the sky and let them murder eachother for you.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

imagine if 100+ "good guys with guns" are at a concert.

if you're a psycho, you wouldn't even need a drum mag. just fire a few rounds into the sky and let them murder eachother for you.

If there were anything I'd blame the media for about gun perception, it's the idea that you'd be John McClane if you had a gun in that situation.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
One of these days the domestic terrorist is going to be a chemist and that's a conversation post-mortem that I don't think the country is ready for.

We're nice and solid in our blame guns viewpoints while still faithfully ignoring the cause of social isolation and extremism

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

M_Gargantua posted:

One of these days the domestic terrorist is going to be a chemist and that's a conversation post-mortem that I don't think the country is ready for.

We're nice and solid in our blame guns viewpoints while still faithfully ignoring the cause of social isolation and extremism

Oklahoma City.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Do we know if the shooter was wearing the glove to make him fire on auto?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPWuyP5AwTk

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Smiling Jack posted:

Oklahoma City.

Nah, not a chemist. The poo poo you can mix up gets real nasty when you have someone who can actually produce their own reagents or just get/steal them at their college chemistry building. Explosives are very simple and modestly effective, but imagine Walter White making a nerve agent, or any simple toxin.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

M_Gargantua posted:

Nah, not a chemist. The poo poo you can mix up gets real nasty when you have someone who can actually produce their own reagents or just get/steal them at their college chemistry building. Explosives are very simple and modestly effective, but imagine Walter White making a nerve agent, or any simple toxin.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_subway_sarin_attack

Bluntly, not as effective as shooting / ramming attakcs.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Smiling Jack posted:

Oklahoma City.

Anfo doesn't take a genius.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/danmericacnn/status/914878987628896256

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Smiling Jack posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_subway_sarin_attack

Bluntly, not as effective as shooting / ramming attakcs.

If you half-rear end the dispersion of your chemical weapons, yeah. Hopefully people with nerve gas and bad intentions will be so incompetent in the future.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
So carrying over from the proper gunchat thread.

Guns were invented and perfected for killing people. The second amendment protects your right to be armed such that you can kill people in extreme situations. Hunting is an added benefit to owning a gun and while a luxury in most parts of the country is occasionally a necessity for survival and good for survival planning for the more rural areas.

Now owning rifles for hunting is pretty easy to justify, solid bolt action rifle, even something new and tactical has the same capability. If youre poor enough to occasionally need to hunt to eat then owning 10 different rifles is idiotic.

Shotguns are great for bird hunting and self defense.

Handguns are excellent for self defense because unlike a rifle its practical to actually have it on you all the time.

So where does the need for magazine fed shotguns and semi-auto rifles come in? That comes back to the original point, which is for warfare. Heres where constitutional law comes in because yes on paper the second amendment was written for warfare, but its 2017 an :lol: if you think youre going to be part of the insurgency against enemy invaders. If you want to argue that the second amendment covers modern war then youre also arguing for civilian ownership of anti-aircraft and anti-tank weaponry.

chitoryu12 posted:

What method do you have for banning and confiscating millions of firearms in a cost-effective manner to (in the absolute best case scenario) reduce homicide by 5%?

And that is absolute best case scenario, as in 100% of all weapons you ban actually get confiscated and every single crime that will be committed with them isn't committed with something else.

The thing about this line, especially in the line after vegas, is that youre saying that "50 or 60 lives dont matter" The shooter not having semi-automatic weaponry would have guaranteed reduced casualties by a very large amount. Just like how him not having easy access to a belt fed weapon likely prevented this from being even worse. Your same line of reasoning that claims that regulation is already enough hinges on the fact that the existing regulation has not reduced gun deaths at all, and qed the right to own gun X also means I should be able to own machine gun Y.

Yes evil people are going to evil, but putting up some barrier to entry would help, even if its only a few lives.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

chitoryu12 posted:

He wanted to get rid of semi-automatic rifles, specifically. Didn't say a word about anything else, just putting semi-autos on the NFA.

About 2% of gun deaths and less than 1% of gun injuries are committed with rifles like AR-15s. He's proposing something that, in an absolute best case scenario where everything went perfectly and every single homicide or injury committed with rifles went away instantly, would cause a decrease of 2%.

And it wouldn't have even stopped the Vegas shooter, since the weapons were bought legally over a period of multiple years with a large amount of disposable income. He's proposing a decision based on knee-jerk fear, not anything that would actually help.

It would stop future tragedies like this and sandy hook. If there are no legal means to acquire them then you have much higher risk of getting caught before going nuts on some kids. You'll never stop crime, knives and guns will always play a part in violence, you can mitigate the possibility for someone to unload 500 rounds on a crowd.

The only reason to not confiscate them all is all the people like us who want to keep them because they're ours and they're fun

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

:lol: if you think youre going to be part of the insurgency against enemy invaders
Real quick: that's not why the second amendment exists. It exists as a check on your own government, should that need ever arise. All other benefits of an armed populace are secondary to this purpose. Our own country's birth through violent revolution should be proof enough of this need; there are plenty of other examples of governments turning on their own (disarmed) people in the twentieth century alone. Additionally, if you believe that people with rifles are powerless against a military with armor and aircraft, you need only look at the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan; tell me again that people with rifles are combat ineffective against a modern military.

If you would like to understand the context in which the second amendment was proposed and written, please read David Vandercoy's paper: The History of the Second Amendmend (pdf link). I strongly recommend that everyone take a few minutes out of their day to read this, regardless of whether they are supportive of or critical of the second amendment. Knowledge is power, yo.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Naked Bear posted:

Real quick: that's not why the second amendment exists. It exists as a check on your own government, should that need ever arise. All other benefits of an armed populace are secondary to this purpose. Our own country's birth through violent revolution should be proof enough of this need; there are plenty of other examples of governments turning on their own (disarmed) people in the twentieth century alone. Additionally, if you believe that people with rifles are powerless against a military with armor and aircraft, you need only look at the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan; tell me again that people with rifles are combat ineffective against a modern military.

If you would like to understand the context in which the second amendment was proposed and written, please read David Vandercoy's paper: The History of the Second Amendmend (pdf link). I strongly recommend that everyone take a few minutes out of their day to read this, regardless of whether they are supportive of or critical of the second amendment. Knowledge is power, yo.

Iraq and Afghanistan don't exist as stable states where armed insurgents have any chance of meaningfully ejecting American power. They might have the chance at killing their own opposition political leaders but they are ants under the boot.

Serving as a defense against our own government is equally a lost cause and equally effective if armed with hunting rifles or machine guns.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also there are absolutely such things as belt-fed uppers and more reliable high cap mags than the surefire pancakes the shooter used.

Dude, not to poo poo on you but if you seriously wanted to confiscate any semiautomatic firearm, my only question is "how many people are you willing to have die in the process?"

That's literally the moment all those Bundy Ranch types are waiting for.

Putting semiautomatic weapons on the NFA wouldn't have stopped Vegas (and is also ignorant, just less so).

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
So the solution you put forward can be summarized as "live with mass shootings just like we live with natural disaster deaths"

Banning semi autos also eliminates belt fed uppers.

Banning bump fire and other gimmicks would be the tinyest start

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

M_Gargantua posted:

So the solution you put forward can be summarized as "live with mass shootings just like we live with natural disaster deaths"

Banning semi autos also eliminates belt fed uppers.

Banning bump fire and other gimmicks would be the tinyest start

If you want to live in a free and democratic society then sometimes crazy assholes are going to go through every bullshit hoop you put in front of them in order to carry out whatever batshit murder plan they have.

Look at Anders Breivik. Dude spent years going through the process of legally getting weapons and then executed a plan no one knew about.

You want to solve gun crime? Work on solving poverty, on destigmatizing mental illness, and talk to your goddamned neighbors every week.

Banning poo poo is an ignorant, knee-jerk reaction with no actual thought put into the actual process. It's wishful thinking at its worst, because it's the sort of obvious stepping stone to full confiscation out there.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
We can do all that in parallel. Fixing society is a difficult thing.

But what does that have to do with people needing to own deadly weapons that are particularly good at killing people? Yes maybe we can finally knee jerk into banning them, but why was there a need for civilian ownership in the first place.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

M_Gargantua posted:

We can do all that in parallel. Fixing society is a difficult thing.

But what does that have to do with people needing to own deadly weapons that are particularly good at killing people? Yes maybe we can finally knee jerk into banning them, but why was there a need for civilian ownership in the first place.

Because technology advances and the AR platform is the perfect jack-of-all-trades rifle. Also, the 2A doesn't limit itself to "some weapons" (which is how you find gun owners that feel the entire NFA is unconstitutional).

Honestly dude I hate to say it but I'm glad people like you don't get to quickly affect national policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Bring back the old assault weapon ban and ban handguns too. Then hike up the penalties for ownership without registration.

• Locked thread