Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
anime trump body pillows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
http://infernalmonkey.com/2017/01/16/punyo-in-the-chinpo/

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
well that link is extremely unsafe for work

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

Extremely glad I chose to switch to mobile for that. Just had a feeling, ya know.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
whhy would you have that on hand

even ironically

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Alan Smithee posted:

whhy would you have that on hand

even ironically

<insert Bajaj plunger story here>

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

ALFbrot posted:

Yeah, that was a dick move by caberham :mad:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I thought there was a forum rule to tag NSFW links but apparently not.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

extravadanza posted:

Extremely glad I chose to switch to mobile for that. Just had a feeling, ya know.

it's a caberham link dude

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Everything in this country seems so well run. Like, it's as if people looked at a problem, then planned a solution, and then...just, did what they planned. It's astounding.

That said, the bikes on the sidewalk situation is nuts. Like, no one has been a dick about it on either side, but it seems like they should be on the street or something?

Anyway, things seem pretty dope here from a visitors' perspective. Thanks for all the dope recs

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

unfortunately the "planned a solution" part needs the endorsement of the right old men, otherwise it goes nowhere

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

unbutthurtable posted:

Everything in this country seems so well run. Like, it's as if people looked at a problem, then planned a solution, and then...just, did what they planned. It's astounding.

That said, the bikes on the sidewalk situation is nuts. Like, no one has been a dick about it on either side, but it seems like they should be on the street or something?

Anyway, things seem pretty dope here from a visitors' perspective. Thanks for all the dope recs

It seems so on the surface, but there's downsides. I will say it makes for an extremely easy and nice place to live for the most part.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

unbutthurtable posted:

Apparently it used to be fully legal to ride on sidewalks but now, nobody except young, old and those with small kids are allowed to ride there. But the rules aren't enforced so everyone just does it anyway.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah it varies by town and neighborhood. My town has some sidewalks with designated bike lanes, and some streets with bike lanes.
If the sidewalk has space, use it.
If the sidewalk is full of people, ride on the street​.
If the street is full of cars in the bike lane then do whatever seems safest.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

The Great Autismo! posted:

it's a caberham link dude

Yeah, don't invite cabe to group chats if you value their SFW-ness

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Interesting.

Oh, and thanks thread for the advice about buying sumo tickets a couple months ago. I went yesterday and it might honestly end up being the highlight of the trip.

Is that stadium used for anything else during the year or is it just sumo every six months, by the way?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

DiscoJ posted:

Apparently it used to be fully legal to ride on sidewalks but now, nobody except young, old and those with small kids are allowed to ride there. But the rules aren't enforced so everyone just does it anyway.

The laws are a confused hodgepodge at best and as you said rules aren't enforced. I see cops riding on the sidewalk and riding on the road against traffic on a weekly basis.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Someone in the LAN posted the link and people in chat linked it.

It wasn't me :ohdear:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

unbutthurtable posted:

Also I guess once some important dude said "I hate trash cans" so they never put any anywhere again.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Is it still basically impossible to find drinking fountains anywhere?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

CrazySalamander posted:

Is it still basically impossible to find drinking fountains anywhere?

They are not uncommon in parks, particularly those with baseball diamonds.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Magna Kaser posted:

Also I guess once some important dude said "I hate trash cans" so they never put any anywhere again.

Urban legend goes they used terrorism as an excuse to tear them out and not have to pay for ppl to empty them anymore.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Same way there's a shitload of street lights that are still off from the energy saving measures after all the nuclear plants went offline after the 2011 earthquake.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Except that the terrorism was the 1994 sarin attacks, and the whole trashcan situation has bee dire ever since.

Just be happy that all of the stations have bathrooms, unlike BART, which for similar reasons closed down every restroom in the city for "terrorism" cough cough homeless in bathrooms.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Actually, yeah, the garbage can thing has also been a huge annoyance.

But the subway, especially after I grabbed a Suica card, is great. Coming from NYC, the stations are astoundingly clean.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

New parks usually have water fountains (+ low taps for doggos) and new public bathrooms usually have changing tables and ostomate sinks (o≧▽゜)o

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Any Tokyo goons want to grab food and/or a bunch of beer Sunday or Monday night? I'm staying in Shinjuku, but I don't mind heading wherever rad poo poo is.

I can put together a reciprocal goonmeet in NYC one day, if interested.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Pretty sure I can do Sunday.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

unbutthurtable posted:

Any Tokyo goons want to grab food and/or a bunch of beer Sunday or Monday night? I'm staying in Shinjuku, but I don't mind heading wherever rad poo poo is.

I can put together a reciprocal goonmeet in NYC one day, if interested.

I could do Sunday probably. Torikizoku would be great!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm down.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Cool, so tomorrow night it is.

When/where is good? That place posted looks good to me, but it seems like a chain so I don't know which location.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The one in hyakunincho is closest to me, but I'm fine with any of them.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Stringent posted:

That's about a 10-15 minute walk North of Shinjuku station, right? (Just making sure I don't end up at the wrong one) If so, rad with me.

When's good for goons?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Stringent posted:

Lol I've walked past this one for the last 3 days

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Japan emergency: what's the katakana for "extra pork cutlet" such as I might have to select at a Go Go Curry ordering machine?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Go to Cocoichi you loving savage

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

LimburgLimbo posted:

Go to Cocoichi you loving savage

Is it really better? I love Go Go Curry in NYC, but the sauce is 1000% better here and I want to savor it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah, go to cocoichi. They have English menus as well.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Orrrrr, if you like good curry:
Moyan Curry - 歌舞伎町1-12-5, チェリービル - http://4sq.com/26iQNFg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Oh, so when's good for tomorrow? Like 6 or 7pm?

I'll check out cocoichi before I leave for sure