Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I've had/seen way too many games like that recently, the influx of returning players seems to have brought back a good many tryhards that really can't handle a game going sour.

What gets me is that often it's not even that much of a tilt against their chances, they're bad chances but could be overturned, but because they're not crushing it from the outright they scoop and you're stuck there blueballed out of some Ham slam.

Edit: It gives me bad flashbacks to playing MtG Commander. More often than not, all it takes is one good counter/killspell/boardwipe/whatever and chances are that player's packing up 'coz you cockblocked them from an easy win.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

This was my Carcharadons vs his Sisters plus Roboute. He scouts his repressors full of meltas up, I pop one with a charging dread and wipe a couple 5-woman sisters squads and most of a Crusader squad. He takes long-distance miltimelta shots at my centurions, whiffs, vaporizes my dreadnought with the meltas, wipes a squad of scouts, Celestine charges my terminators and whiffs, and he quits at the bottom of 1 saying he can't possibly win so why bother.

He's been saying sisters suck since 8th stated, he claimed this was him trying to see if Roubute could salvage them. One turn of one game in which Roboute did nothing apparent,y was enough to show him he couldn't. A lot of "I don't know why I play dice games" and belaboring every roll that came up below average while ignoring the ones above average (like making a couple 6+ lascannon saves with a rhino).

To clarify, I have no problems whatsoeevr with scooping out of a game that is a real forgone conclusion. But if you're gonna quit on turn 1 becuase you took the slightly worse end of a trade, just do me a favor and tell me beforehand, we'll roll off on random.org to see who wins and save me the trouble of showing up.

It's just a couple bad rolls. If you lose fast you'll have time for a 2nd game.

I've played sisters once this edition, and yeah, Celestine is a beast. Sucks that he just quit on you like that. Is he a normal opponent of yours?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Zuul the Cat posted:

It's just a couple bad rolls. If you lose fast you'll have time for a 2nd game.

I've played sisters once this edition, and yeah, Celestine is a beast. Sucks that he just quit on you like that. Is he a normal opponent of yours?

We're regulars at the same store on the same night, but due to vagaries of what games we each play I don't actually play him that often.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

JoshTheStampede posted:

We're regulars at the same store on the same night, but due to vagaries of what games we each play I don't actually play him that often.

I hate to make assumptions but, by any chance is he a Warmahordes player. 'coz that'd explain a lot.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
At least now you know not to play him again. I play a lot at my local GW, and sometimes randoms ask to play a game with me. I have a handful of people I won't play with again because they're bad opponents. One dude took an hour to set up (his Space Marine army, of everything), another played a guard army and was super weird the entire time. Wouldn't make eye contact, wouldn't really answer any questions I had. When i complemented his army (a really rad converted beastmen army) he stopped mid roll, made eye contact for like 5 seconds then just muttered thanks like I just told him I boned his mom.

You never know who to turn down games against until you try!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Zuul the Cat posted:

When i complemented his army (a really rad converted beastmen army) he stopped mid roll, made eye contact for like 5 seconds then just muttered thanks like I just told him I boned his mom.

Well, gently caress. Feel like someone in this thread has some explaining to do.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
But did you bone his mum

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

The Bee posted:

Well, gently caress. Feel like someone in this thread has some explaining to do.

I'll get the popping corn.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Tabled the local grey Knights player when a couple of hundred points down compared to him, gently caress yeah!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JoshTheStampede posted:

This was my Carcharadons vs his Sisters plus Roboute. He scouts his repressors full of meltas up, I pop one with a charging dread and wipe a couple 5-woman sisters squads and most of a Crusader squad. He takes long-distance miltimelta shots at my centurions, whiffs, vaporizes my dreadnought with the meltas, wipes a squad of scouts, Celestine charges my terminators and whiffs, and he quits at the bottom of 1 saying he can't possibly win so why bother.

He's been saying sisters suck since 8th stated, he claimed this was him trying to see if Roubute could salvage them. One turn of one game in which Roboute did nothing apparent,y was enough to show him he couldn't. A lot of "I don't know why I play dice games" and belaboring every roll that came up below average while ignoring the ones above average (like making a couple 6+ lascannon saves with a rhino).

To clarify, I have no problems whatsoeevr with scooping out of a game that is a real forgone conclusion. But if you're gonna quit on turn 1 becuase you took the slightly worse end of a trade, just do me a favor and tell me beforehand, we'll roll off on random.org to see who wins and save me the trouble of showing up.

Lol I despise people like this

'My army which is extremely good is actually bad and I'm going to complain about it from deployment onwards'

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

a cock shaped fruit posted:

But did you bone his mum

Obviously.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx

First time in years I'm actually tempted to buy a new box rather than wait for eBay!

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I've been thinking about a new 40k in 40 minutes format.

Battle forged, patrol detachment, 25 power levels (or 500 points), no models with more than 10 wounds.

Can any of the tournament players here think of a way to gently caress this up and make it unfun? I'm cautious that a one sentence game format could get abused, but can you fully plan for people who want to suck the fun out of everything?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally have a minimum squad of Kabalites! A wholly, completely illegal squad of Kabalites!

Pirates here to steal your poo poo!

Bases are from Micro Art Studios. I had the notion of doing what they did and put traffic lines and poo poo on but I got intimidated :ohdear:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Thundercloud posted:

Battle forged, patrol detachment, 25 power levels (or 500 points), no models with more than 10 wounds.

Can any of the tournament players here think of a way to gently caress this up and make it unfun? I'm cautious that a one sentence game format could get abused, but can you fully plan for people who want to suck the fun out of everything?

Only the usual suspects like guilliman and celestine, since guillimans 9 wounds and celestine rules lawyers it by having 7+2+2.

Though granted it would definitely be a quick game.

E: really just add the no named characters stipulation.

Artum fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 21, 2017

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Thundercloud posted:

Controversial, but what about no named characters?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
God dammit.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Thanks for the comments all - I really want to keep the Bolter casing the same as the armour, it's probably my favourite thing (going for very 'less is more') but agree some chapter/squad markings would definitely create more interest.

As I plan to play them as an RG successor, in a total "Cawl ignored Gulliman and used the traitor legion gene seed anyway, these are totally NOT ALPHA LEGION, HONEST." story, keen to try and slyly use their heraldry in some way, avoiding the actual Hydra itself. Thinking the XX symbol and the A, but avoid any reference to the Lernean.

Might go to silver shoulder trims, just to match their scheme in layout, if not colour.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Artum posted:

Only the usual suspects like guilliman and celestine, since guillimans 9 wounds and celestine rules lawyers it by having 7+2+2.

Though granted it would definitely be a quick game.

E: really just add the no named characters stipulation.

Guilliman is a lord of war so you couldnt fit him in a patrol detachment if you tried. Fair about celestine though.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Shockeh posted:

Thanks for the comments all - I really want to keep the Bolter casing the same as the armour, it's probably my favourite thing (going for very 'less is more') but agree some chapter/squad markings would definitely create more interest.

As I plan to play them as an RG successor, in a total "Cawl ignored Gulliman and used the traitor legion gene seed anyway, these are totally NOT ALPHA LEGION, HONEST." story, keen to try and slyly use their heraldry in some way, avoiding the actual Hydra itself. Thinking the XX symbol and the A, but avoid any reference to the Lernean.

Might go to silver shoulder trims, just to match their scheme in layout, if not colour.

drat I was thinking Raptors because of the color scheme.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Thundercloud posted:

Seems like as good of a chance as any to plug the Renegade Open Combat Patrol format. It's 400 points instead of 500, but the game has been thoroughly playtested and the army building restrictions I've put in place seem to work exceptionally well.

Combat Patrol

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Tried a bit of speed painting to see if I could beat my Blood Raven record from a few years ago.

According to my old picture timestamp this was the guy from Oct 2013:

He took 2hrs

This is this morning's effort, (being stuck at home waiting for a delivery is not fun).

Started at 9am, finished at 11:20am-ish so about 2hrs 20m, but I did base him this time.

Lessons learned, even thinned a lot, Mephiston Red covers smoothly in one coat over grey. Purple shades red nicer and more subtly than brown, orange highlights are still too bright and even after lots of coats of thinned bone, the shoulder pads look like poop.

Tune in in Oct 2021 for a Mk XII Marine.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Let's say, at 37 years old, I decided to be a massive dork about it - How would you paint the Punisher skull reliably onto a shoulder pad?

(Don't say Iron Warrior decals, I'm not even touching those loving things.)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Shockeh posted:

Let's say, at 37 years old, I decided to be a massive dork about it - How would you paint the Punisher skull reliably onto a shoulder pad?

(Don't say Iron Warrior decals, I'm not even touching those loving things.)

Practice the symbol a lot with a paintbrush before you try it on the model. Block out the main shape with a light grey, then cut in to it with the black. Final highlights with white.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Shockeh posted:

I'm not sure I'd do silver on the trim. The silver you have is nice but it is pretty much the same brightness as the armor and won't pop at all.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
I apparently can't use decals for crap

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Microset and Microsol helps.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ijyt posted:

Microset and Microsol helps.

Microset and Microsol are amazing. Microset in particular.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Felime posted:

I'm not sure I'd do silver on the trim. The silver you have is nice but it is pretty much the same brightness as the armor and won't pop at all.

I actively don't want it to. I've done enough high contrast schemes over the years, I want visual interest without going to far outside of colour.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Shockeh posted:

I actively don't want it to. I've done enough high contrast schemes over the years, I want visual interest without going to far outside of colour.

Doesn't need to be high contrast. The metallic is just almost exactly the same value as the armor(and very similar in tone as well. Maybe the same nice cool white you have on the eagles might work.

E: And I think the usual mini painting techniques really lend themselves to high contrast, as opposed to some of the glazed pastel toned marines and DKK someone brought up fairly recently.

Felime fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 21, 2017

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Went up against Night Lords last night. That Leadership debuff is loving rough especially when Raptors jump in.

Highlights of the game include my Rhino exploding and taking out half of the enemy models, and once again Orbital Bombardment utterly failing me (3 cp for 1 mortal wound is a real kick in the pants).

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I'm gonna be putting decals on my Primaris Raven Guard very soon, and I just bought some Micro Sol and Micro Set. How do I use them correctly?

I seem to remember that I put Micro Set on first, then add the decal, then use Micro Sol. Do I need to use 'Arcoat (gloss varnish) to smooth out the area before for the decal like I would normally?

Here's what I'm thinking:
1. 'Ardcoat the decal area.
2. Add Micro Set (do I let it dry?)
3. Add the decal.
4. Add Microl Sol when everything is dry (or still wet?)
5. Use more 'Ardcoat to seal it in.

Is anyone familiar with this stuff?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It has been a few years but as I recall:

Gloss.
Apply transfer.
Brush Set on.
Reapply Set if needed.
Gloss again.

Only use Sol if you're having real problems, as it is significantly stronger.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Only use Sol if you need the decal to apply to a curved or textured surface. Ideal for marine shoulder pads.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The Sex Cannon posted:

I'm gonna be putting decals on my Primaris Raven Guard very soon, and I just bought some Micro Sol and Micro Set. How do I use them correctly?

I seem to remember that I put Micro Set on first, then add the decal, then use Micro Sol. Do I need to use 'Arcoat (gloss varnish) to smooth out the area before for the decal like I would normally?

Here's what I'm thinking:
2. Add Micro Set (do I let it dry?)
3. Add the decal.
4. Add Microl Sol when everything is dry (or still wet?)

Is anyone familiar with this stuff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGY593JeZfQ

2. Add Micro Set (do I let it dry?) No, keep it wet
3. Add the decal.
4. Add Microl Sol when everything is dry (or still wet?) Dry. You may need/want to apply Sol more than once until the decal looks right and has conformed to the shape of the model.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I like to apply some microset just before the microsol if its being particularly troublesome but pretty much what Indolent Bastard said. Be careful when adjusting the decal, it's OK with microset but microsol is a lot stronger so it'll be a lot weaker.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Last time spamming this, promise to do a squad now:
Many thanks for feedback, tried to add a bit more visual noise - Lenses in a big teal contrast hit, some freehand (there's more on the right leg) same teal used for the purity seals.

E: God phone photos make you notice how clumsy things look, up close.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 21, 2017

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Looks way better with a bit more going on. I think you've got it to exactly the right spot now.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It has been a few years but as I recall:

Gloss.
Apply transfer.
Brush Set on.
Reapply Set if needed.
Gloss again.

Only use Sol if you're having real problems, as it is significantly stronger.

Serotonin posted:

Only use Sol if you need the decal to apply to a curved or textured surface. Ideal for marine shoulder pads.

Indolent Bastard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGY593JeZfQ

2. Add Micro Set (do I let it dry?) No, keep it wet
3. Add the decal.
4. Add Microl Sol when everything is dry (or still wet?) Dry. You may need/want to apply Sol more than once until the decal looks right and has conformed to the shape of the model.

This is a huge help. Thanks, guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

So I have the book from Dark Imperium, but I'm not sure what other book I need for my space barbies now - Index Imperium I or the Space Marines Codex? If it matters, I'm doing a Raven Guard successor chapter.