Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MaxxBot posted:

Nicehash numbers back to not being total poo poo, gonna get guac tomorrow!

:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Just realized coincards does apple store giftcards. Videogames paying for my phones now :aaaaa:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Surprise Giraffe posted:

What are 980tis like in nicehash? Vs say 1060s

round about what a 1070 does, but not as efficiently.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Risky Bisquick posted:

Just realized coincards does apple store giftcards. Videogames paying for my phones now :aaaaa:

Cant wait to rub this in my moms face!!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
too late, i already rubbed it in your mom's face.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

shiet

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005
Dunno if this has popped up on anyone's radar, but one of the large :filez: sites put a javascript Monero miner that will max out your CPU on all threads if you visit it. As if there wasn't enough evidence that cryptocoins are black hat as hell. Wonder if we'll start seeing redirects that would snag more unawares.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

inkwell posted:

Dunno if this has popped up on anyone's radar, but one of the large :filez: sites put a javascript Monero miner that will max out your CPU on all threads if you visit it. As if there wasn't enough evidence that cryptocoins are black hat as hell. Wonder if we'll start seeing redirects that would snag more unawares.

Which one?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Pirate Bay

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
LMAO javascript monero miner, web 3.0

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Risky Bisquick posted:

LMAO javascript monero miner, web 3.0

probably pays better then some ads, and less annoying then auto play video.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Oof I hope that doesn't take off. I heard about that, but I had no idea it was being considered by site owners as a form of revenue rather than some particularly nasty ad

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
They have already had some flash games, and even cracked stuff to have miners in it, also code that steals your bitcoins from wallets. :bitcoin:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Axe-man posted:

They have already had some flash games, and even cracked stuff to have miners in it, also code that steals your bitcoins from wallets. :bitcoin:

Yeah but to me those required some sort of dumb action on the user's part. You could consider visiting TPB as a "dumb action" however, the fact its not just part of some nefarious bottom of the barrel ad company rather than the company themselves looking for legitimate revenue is what's troubling to me. Oh well, at least it has clear effects on your system and easily detectable

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine TPB has issues with collecting ad revenue, so I can see why they'd do it.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
If the site is upfront about it, I'd always prefer a bit of mining > invasive tracking ads. Or if on a slower device, pair it with an option to pay with coins.

Sooner or later we have to break the idea that the web is free, so I'd choose this over ads.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Nybble posted:

If the site is upfront about it, I'd always prefer a bit of mining > invasive tracking ads. Or if on a slower device, pair it with an option to pay with coins.

Sooner or later we have to break the idea that the web is free, so I'd choose this over ads.

Enjoy your mining then. For the rest of us, uBlock Origin is already on the case. "So mostly this is a demonstration about how Ads do not work any more. At all. Ever again."

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Im not overly concerned for TPB to do it because theyre shady enough as it is. Im just concerned itll catch on with legitimate but shadier ad companies and spread to real websites. Like the people who put out TOP 10 NIP SLIPS JACK NICHOLSON EDITION

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I have to imagine sites that aren't making global news being chased around the world by IP law enforcement won't have to resort to this.

I switched away from uBlock Origin to AdGuard a few months ago. I wonder if their lists block it (though you can optionally add EasyList, I prefer their own filtering.)

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Hey guys I OCd my two gpus finally and it really boosted my numbers you should look into it

(I think some math is off)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dude you are gonna be so rich.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Craptacular! posted:

I have to imagine sites that aren't making global news being chased around the world by IP law enforcement won't have to resort to this.

The link I posted was the perfectly normal webcomic Scandinavia And The World.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

1gnoirents posted:

Hey guys I OCd my two gpus finally and it really boosted my numbers you should look into it

(I think some math is off)

That's just future value

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

aw lame turns out they were wrong :mad:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nybble posted:

Yeah I too am mostly fine with destroying the environment so long as I don't have to occasionally see an ad

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah I too am mostly fine with destroying the environment so long as I don't have to occasionally see an ad

It's not like flash ads have zero processing cost, a few animated banners can easily max out a cheap cpu. And we are talking TPB where every link fires off a half dozen pop-under windows filled flashy visuals and potential malware payloads, 5 mins of CPU time (a couple of watts at best) is an agreeable trade.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How about websites shouldn't be able to run background code that maximizes my CPU, drains my battery (on laptop), and continuously phones home (I presume a JavaScript miner needs to phone somewhere) just because I decided to click on a link?

Sure the Pirate Bay is a website that serves up pirated software and movies and poo poo but that doesn't make it "ok" for them to abuse my computer. There are legitimate avenues of visiting TPB without intention of using their services, like "I heard people talking about TPB so I googled it and clicked on the first link, and then I left the tab open while I answer a call and now I've come back 5 hours later and my laptop battery is dead why is it dead and why does my laptop smell like burnt sulfur and lead?"

Besides today it's TPB but as soon as they can show that running shitware on tens of thousands of browsers to mine shitcoins produces even 1 fake virtual penny of profit then now all of your shittier advertising networks are going to use shitminers in addition to their current suite of lovely ads. Do you guys seriously think that an ad exec is going to ever say "let's give our users a choice of either seeing ads or mining shitcoins for us" because spoiler alert that will never ever happen. More like "show them ads and also make them mine shitcoins for us, and let's hire a guy to take the fall in case we get caught while we're at it."

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Boris Galerkin posted:

How about websites shouldn't be able to run background code that maximizes my CPU, drains my battery (on laptop), and continuously phones home (I presume a JavaScript miner needs to phone somewhere) just because I decided to click on a link?

Sure the Pirate Bay is a website that serves up pirated software and movies and poo poo but that doesn't make it "ok" for them to abuse my computer. There are legitimate avenues of visiting TPB without intention of using their services, like "I heard people talking about TPB so I googled it and clicked on the first link, and then I left the tab open while I answer a call and now I've come back 5 hours later and my laptop battery is dead why is it dead and why does my laptop smell like burnt sulfur and lead?"

Besides today it's TPB but as soon as they can show that running shitware on tens of thousands of browsers to mine shitcoins produces even 1 fake virtual penny of profit then now all of your shittier advertising networks are going to use shitminers in addition to their current suite of lovely ads. Do you guys seriously think that an ad exec is going to ever say "let's give our users a choice of either seeing ads or mining shitcoins for us" because spoiler alert that will never ever happen. More like "show them ads and also make them mine shitcoins for us, and let's hire a guy to take the fall in case we get caught while we're at it."

If you aren't running adblockers on every platform you use, you are doing it wrong.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gym Leader Barack posted:

It's not like flash ads have zero processing cost, a few animated banners can easily max out a cheap cpu. And we are talking TPB where every link fires off a half dozen pop-under windows filled flashy visuals and potential malware payloads, 5 mins of CPU time (a couple of watts at best) is an agreeable trade.

relative to mining, ads may as well have zero processing cost

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Good news though, uBlock Origin has "drop that poo poo" as a default rule for all the JS miners that people have seen in the wild so far.

So really it'll only affect people still running ancient adblockers because laziness or none at all because stupidity.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
uBlock Origin is just loading the same EasyList and associated lists that most other blockers do, it's strength was always RAM optimization and faster page loads.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The real concern is video streaming sites. they're the only pages people really leave open for hours at a time.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe a side effect will be Youtube and Twitch getting better video players so they can waste more cycles for themselves instead of on the video player.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I bought a b-stock 1080, so I will have a 1080/1070/1050ti in my stable until I pawn off this 1050ti. Buying videocards for crypto/gaming is bad right :razz:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
This mining bubble has been surprisingly resilient, at this rate I'm gonna pay off all of my dumb computer purchases going back to like 2011.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Sell your ZEC immediatelyyyyyyyyy huge price increase

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
wtf, I got home, and my miner didn't shut off when I sat down. Turns out Windows defender won't let me use nicehashminerlagacy.exe anymore. Says it is Trojan:win32/Vagger!rfn . My guess would be that some unscrupulous characters are installing nicehash into people's systems and mining coins. Anyone else seen this?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/threats/malware-encyclopedia-description?Name=Trojan:Win32/Vagger!rfn

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Jago posted:

wtf, I got home, and my miner didn't shut off when I sat down. Turns out Windows defender won't let me use nicehashminerlagacy.exe anymore. Says it is Trojan:win32/Vagger!rfn . My guess would be that some unscrupulous characters are installing nicehash into people's systems and mining coins. Anyone else seen this?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/threats/malware-encyclopedia-description?Name=Trojan:Win32/Vagger!rfn

You can probably whitelist it somehow.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Of course! Now's the time to mine if windows is knocking this poo poo down on people, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

You have to whitelist it in defender. I also had to reinstall it afterwards iirc. I went back to 2.0 pretty much immediately because of that I dont want to babysit that since I look at the machine maybe once a week these days. If 2.0 just included all the legacy miner settings theyd get a lot more adoption im not sure why they dont

• Locked thread