Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
For all the bitching I do about my boss. I like my job. And the bitching about my boss is only about his expertise. Bbut he gets me raises and stands up for me against other managers.
So he's pretty ok. I only wish he knew more,
I also like the people in the office.
Everybody always tries to find some reason to bring in snacks/cakes to the office.
Today's reason: We got paid early so someone bought cake.

edit: Sorry for the lame page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

myron cope posted:

So today we had a security training exercise thing, and it was fine, but the main thing that tripped me up was something I had never even really considered: we can validate that our backups "work" no problem, and we do fairly often. But we have no real way to validate that the data itself is good in the first place.

The exercise basically said we got hit with some ransomware, and once we were reasonably sure we had the infection solved we would restore the file shares. But we don't really have a way to verify that the data hasn't been encrypted, or probably worse, altered. (He gave the example of a hospital. They'd probably rather lose medical records entirely than have blood types get changed on records) The guy running the exercise threw out the idea that maybe we could look at how many files got changed in a particular time period. If the number of changes is way higher than normal, maybe something else is going on.

I feel kinda dumb for never even considering that. Until now it has always been a binary "did the backup work" type question. Maybe that's not a super big concern, but we didn't have a good answer when he asked how we could be sure we were restoring good data

It is a technically a big concern but one that gets overlooked or doesn't make the budget. There is software like Varonis designed to provide insight into data integrity.

Edit: job talk. I had low cubes once. It was awful. At my current place we had a shared office for engineering but we hired a guy who is super loud on conference calls so I packed up and moved to my high wall cube.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

We're a small company but we're growing at a painful rate. Up until this year we could afford to be IT cowboys, but things are getting too crazy to not have some sort of structure in place. I'm not a manager, but my manager is a decent enough guy to be open to good info, so I'm looking for some procedures I could bring to his attention. And I'm talking anything that could possibly be related to IT, from organizational structure, to project management, to documentation, to all the specific technical stuff. We do mostly enterprise networking, sometimes as an ISP and other times managing LANs and CoLos for our clients, and we're in charge of a /20 public subnet. VoIP is also a major part of the business.

I know this sounds like "tell me how to IT," but this is a company founded by a guy who never held an IT job, so he has nothing to go off of, and is somewhat of an emotional child. The saving grace is that the managers under him tend to be smart and decent people who can convince him to do things right or implement procedures independent of his input.

I'd love to read a book about this poo poo that isn't a seminar on how to reach your peak business potential through your inner tiger or whatever the hell. Can anyone point me to some resources that could help?

Zapf Dingbat fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 21, 2017

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My friend have you heard the word of ITIL?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe the Phoenix Project?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Trash Trick posted:

i love my job in QA at a large enterprise corporation. i wanna do it for the next 30 yrs.
I can appreciate the sarcasm dripping off of this post, because my company is a large enterprise corporation, and we poo poo on QA all day every day. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

devmd01 posted:

Yea, brother/sister, I too have recently gained the word and wisdom of ITIL :catholic:. It's a great way to help your company get itself organized, so long as you remember it's a framework and not absolute dogma. Don't be afraid to pick-and-mix some of it, so long as you know why you're discarding stuff that doesn't apply to your work environment.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

devmd01 posted:

Punkbob posted:

Maybe the Phoenix Project?

Thank you. This seems big-picture enough to start with.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Oh boy somebody just used the term "internal customer" and I had a PTSD flashback of my last job.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My boss sent me this on duties for the new IT person he wants to hire.

Good loving luck.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

GreenNight posted:

Good loving luck.

That kinda seems like it should be two well-paid positions. Maybe 3?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GreenNight posted:

Good loving luck.

I would assume this ideal person would be expensive as gently caress, if he/she exists at all.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

That kinda seems like it should be two well-paid positions. Maybe 3?

I told him this is a job list for 3 people.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

kensei posted:

Oh god what have I done

:classiclol:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

GreenNight posted:

Good loving luck.

And he wants to hire them for $60k/yr.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

GreenNight posted:

I told him this is a job list for 3 people.

Oh poo poo, I missed SharePoint on that list. At LEAST 3 then, depending on how your sharepoint is.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Vargatron posted:

Oh boy somebody just used the term "internal customer" and I had a PTSD flashback of my last job.
Yeah I think internal customer is really just short hand for "we're going to do anything that's asked of us by anyone, enjoy your workload"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
RPG experience is a fun one. Does anyone under the age of 50 know that language?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

When our RPG programmer retired last year we hired a replacement. She's 57!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I don't follow, are people not making role playing games anymore or something?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I can appreciate the sarcasm dripping off of this post, because my company is a large enterprise corporation, and we poo poo on QA all day every day. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I was entirely serious!!! There's no shortage of lovely devs here and it gives me a great sense of satisfaction catchin big stuff before it makes it to prod.

We def get poo poo on but I don't give a heck!

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Trash Trick posted:

I was entirely serious!!! There's no shortage of lovely devs here and it gives me a great sense of satisfaction catchin big stuff before it makes it to prod.

You're one of those very odd QA people who actually likes being in QA.

Like a bug finding unicorn.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Trash Trick posted:

You weird weird boy, come work with me, I like making GBS threads on people's floors.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You weird weird boy, come work with me, I like making GBS threads on people's floors.

Wait, now I'm confused. Did we decide if this is a euphemism or not?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Internet Explorer posted:

Wait, now I'm confused. Did we decide if this is a euphemism or not?

Depends who posted it. We've been flipping back and forth.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I had to poo poo in the woods the other week, but I've never poo poo on anyone's floor. My dog did eat some poo poo and then puke it up on my floor once. If he figures out Excel he'll be qualified to be a Project Manager!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Symantec
Endpoint
Protection

I cannot imagine a more garbage product could be created by mortal human hands.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Symantec
Endpoint
Protection

I cannot imagine a more garbage product could be created by mortal human hands.

Sure. Symantec Backup Exec.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Zapf Dingbat posted:

We're a small company but we're growing at a painful rate. Up until this year we could afford to be IT cowboys, but things are getting too crazy to not have some sort of structure in place. I'm not a manager, but my manager is a decent enough guy to be open to good info, so I'm looking for some procedures I could bring to his attention. And I'm talking anything that could possibly be related to IT, from organizational structure, to project management, to documentation, to all the specific technical stuff. We do mostly enterprise networking, sometimes as an ISP and other times managing LANs and CoLos for our clients, and we're in charge of a /20 public subnet. VoIP is also a major part of the business.

I know this sounds like "tell me how to IT," but this is a company founded by a guy who never held an IT job, so he has nothing to go off of, and is somewhat of an emotional child. The saving grace is that the managers under him tend to be smart and decent people who can convince him to do things right or implement procedures independent of his input.

I'd love to read a book about this poo poo that isn't a seminar on how to reach your peak business potential through your inner tiger or whatever the hell. Can anyone point me to some resources that could help?

Limoncelli's The Practice of System And Network Administration was updated this year and is pretty good primer and survey.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Jeoh posted:

Beat me to it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jeoh posted:

Hahaha, fine fine, but thankfully I don't have to deal with that.

Like why is just getting this poo poo INSTALLED and connecting such a shitshow? Trying to automate deployment to our Macs. First we put the config file in the right place, then we run the pkg. Still shits itself. So much hatred, and no one in our company seems to know how it SHOULD work or what the prereqs are.

It's coming down to "oh just have your team walk around with the installer on a thumb drive to all the machines." Yeah, go gently caress your hat.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

GreenNight posted:

Good loving luck.

You will pay a six figure salary for an ERP administrator itself, not to mention the other poo poo he wants.

"Backup to the Junior Programmer" is a straight up red flag.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

We've had a hallway shitter for a couple years. They still haven't caught them. They've been spacing their making GBS threads heists out in random intervals.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Jeoh posted:

Here's someone that never had to use Retrospect.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Virigoth posted:

We've had a hallway shitter for a couple years. They still haven't caught them. They've been spacing their making GBS threads heists out in random intervals.

loving WHAT

How is that a thing that happens more than once? And if this mystery shitter hates the job so much why doesn't he find somewhere else to work instead of making GBS threads on the floor?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone please confirm for me that the IPC$ share in Windows is used when doing WinRM activities? I'm all but confirming this for myself because when I do computer management and point it to a remote machine, under Shared Folders --> Open Files, I see my own account listed as opening "\srvsvc". And if you attempt to Stop Sharing IPC$ it indicates that it's required by the Server service.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Judge Schnoopy posted:

loving WHAT

How is that a thing that happens more than once? And if this mystery shitter hates the job so much why doesn't he find somewhere else to work instead of making GBS threads on the floor?

Devs are weird. We had an intern that nobody thought to tell to wear shoes everyday so he never wore shoes. Anywhere. Like the bathroom.

This is why I'm so happy to work 50% at home or greater right now.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

loving WHAT

http://www.kktv.com/content/news/Mad-Pooper-wanted-by-Springs-Police-444969443.html

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've had to work with both a mystery toilet seat shitter as well as someone that would leave what appeared to be a massive explosion of nose crunchies on the bathroom mirror. Every morning one of us would find the mirror covered in spray of partially bloody snot bits and even after three years we never figured out what goddamn creep was doing it, or what exactly they were doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

Hahaha, fine fine, but thankfully I don't have to deal with that.

Like why is just getting this poo poo INSTALLED and connecting such a shitshow? Trying to automate deployment to our Macs. First we put the config file in the right place, then we run the pkg. Still shits itself. So much hatred, and no one in our company seems to know how it SHOULD work or what the prereqs are.

It's coming down to "oh just have your team walk around with the installer on a thumb drive to all the machines." Yeah, go gently caress your hat.

The automated deployment/upgrade for Windows got pretty solid in the more recent versions, but the Mac stuff all feels like an afterthought.