Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ohvee posted:

Got my 32gig Pixel XL to replace my 32gig 6P that was having the same sudden shutdown issue everyone else seems to have. I just wish that they set up the return shipping as overnight or 1-day... sucks to have a $800+ hold on your account while it makes its way across the country.
When they replaced my wife's last week, the hold was removed as soon as FedEx scanned the package, long before it made it back to google. I hope that will happen with mine too, but I'm still waiting for them to send my replacement. They seem to be slammed with returns right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

greasyhands posted:

Got a pixel 128gb through online chat. They must really have a huge problem with these 6p's. guess they are trying to placate the masses and avoid a lawsuit. It has been a huge pain in the rear end using this buggy phone for the last 2 years, but I guess this is a pretty decent consolation prize.

I had to contact them three loving times to get a Pixel. They didn't want to give me one. They know there are major loving issues but they were still running me through the ringer on a replacement. I finally jumped through enough hoops for them to send me a Pixel XL. Should be on the way tonight or tomorrow. I'm still on my original 6P because why gently caress with a replacement that's going to have the same issues? The absolute biggest issue for me was the random reboots while charging overnight making my loving alarm not go off.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Articles are starting to pop up about people getting replacement Pixels for their 6Ps (one showed up in my feed earlier today,) so I imagine things are getting a bit more stringent now as word gets around and supplies dwindle.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

maltesh posted:

Articles are starting to pop up about people getting replacement Pixels for their 6Ps (one showed up in my feed earlier today,) so I imagine things are getting a bit more stringent now as word gets around and supplies dwindle.

I straight up told them I wanted a Pixel as well. This will probably keep me with project fi a little longer. I was going to go with Verizon or Tmobile once I get out to Colorado.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

maltesh posted:

Yea I sat on hold for an hour last night. When all was said and done, took an hour and a half, but they are sending me a 128gb pixel xl.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
The Pixel has the hardware to support all the major US carriers, but there would be any reason why my wife's Verizon Pixel wouldn't be eligible for Fi? I'm considering adding her to my existing Fi plan and want to make sure there's no special gotcha to consider beforehand.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I don't think there is.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Dyscrasia posted:

I'm in the same boat, 6p on fi with July update. Just today, I suddenly got the August update. Still no 8.0.

Yeah, I got the August update but still no Oreo. :mad:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm glad my phone isn't completely broken since the replacement that was ordered Friday still hasn't shipped.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

maltesh posted:

They actually aren't doing the replacement anymore. It's probably due to those articles.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I thought it was they weren't doing replacements on out-of-warranty devices. Oh well, my 6p is chugging along for now.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

I thought it was they weren't doing replacements on out-of-warranty devices. Oh well, my 6p is chugging along for now.

For about a week or so, anyone who bought a 6P from Fi or the Google Store got a free replacement Pixel XL if they had battery issues (even if you were out-of-warranty)...but as soon as the blogs caught on, they pretty much ruined it for everyone.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

For about a week or so, anyone who bought a 6P from Fi or the Google Store got a free replacement Pixel XL if they had battery issues (even if you were out-of-warranty)...but as soon as the blogs caught on, they pretty much ruined it for everyone.

I got one during that time (64GB 6P ==> 128GB Pixel XL), but it still hasn't shipped yet and the original estimate was for delivery before yesterday. Hopefully it still comes through. I was thinking I'd finally give up on Android after many, many years, to get an iPhone this year. If the Pixel actually arrives, I guess I can hold off another year!

*edit*
I got an email that it shipped today :cool:

iluvpr0n fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 20, 2017

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

iluvpr0n posted:

I got one during that time (64GB 6P ==> 128GB Pixel XL), but it still hasn't shipped yet and the original estimate was for delivery before yesterday. Hopefully it still comes through. I was thinking I'd finally give up on Android after many, many years, to get an iPhone this year. If the Pixel actually arrives, I guess I can hold off another year!

I was pretty much in the exact same position. Tired of Android and ready to make the switch to an iPhone. I received my 6p-replacement Pixel XL last week and am pretty impressed so far. I'm not sure if it's enough to keep me from making the switch in a year, but we'll see. The unlimited full size picture storage is a pretty nice perk with the Pixels.

I'm so thankful to this thread for being ahead of the curve on the 6p replacements. Getting a free flagship phone after being off warranty by a mile on my previous phone is tough to beat.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'm thinking I should probably jump on this before it's too late. I got my 6P replaced with another 6P out of warranty about two months ago. Does the replacement have its own warranty period or am I out of luck?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

iluvpr0n posted:

Get ahold of customer support. Mine was supposed to be here today but hadn't shipped yet. They're looking into it. I expected them to tell me they'd have one to me tomorrow but they said it might be 24-48 hours before they know what's going on.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

Chaotic Flame posted:

I'm thinking I should probably jump on this before it's too late. I got my 6P replaced with another 6P out of warranty about two months ago. Does the replacement have its own warranty period or am I out of luck?

Same here. First 6P has battery issues. Had it replaced by Google not too long ago with another 6P while I was out of warranty. That replacement phone legitimately has the battery issue too, but when I contacted Google yesterday they told me sorry, go talk to huawei, we can't help you.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Just got an email, they're adding the upcoming Android One Moto X^4 to Fi. $399, plus a discount if you trade in a Nexus device.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

Just got an email, they're adding the upcoming Android One Moto X^4 to Fi. $399, plus a discount if you trade in a Nexus device.

quote:

Google points out that if you own a select Nexus device and want to trade it in for a new device, it will offer up to $165, and if you do so by October 5, it’ll add an extra $50 Fi credit.
Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/check-ebooks-local-libraries-google-search-801906/

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What do we know about this phone so far? Worthwhile upgrade from a 5X?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just threw my Nexus 5X into their trade-in thing to get an estimate: $115 (uncracked screen, working power button), plus the $50 bonus.

Means that after taxes, I'd be paying $275.

Specs-wise, per ArsTechnica:

quote:

Beyond the software, this is the same Moto X4 that was unveiled over the summer. We’re still looking at a 5.2-inch, 1080p display, a good-enough (but mid-tier) Snapdragon 630 chip, a 3,000mAh battery, and a dual rear camera that includes 12- and 8-megapixel sensors. This is all wrapped up in the typical Moto design, with its prominent bezels and flat fingerprint sensor.

So, a non-replaceable battery, no wireless charging (Nexus 5X doesn't have that either, though), no rear fingerprint reader (it's positioned in the front).

On the flip side, it's got quick charge 2.0 (from 0-60% in 15 minutes, supposedly), and a little more of everything than the Nexus 5X: slightly bigger battery (3000 mAh vs. 2700 mAh), an extra gig of RAM (3 GB vs. 2 GB), the processor seems to be a marginal but significant improvement over the 5X, and the screens are pretty much the same (5.2", 1080p).

I'll let someone else weigh in on the cameras, because I know nothing about them.

I'm Google's bitch, so the ability to break that $275 out into ~$12 a month is going to get me to get it. It's been about two years since my first 5X.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Welp

Guess there's a lot of trade-ins jumping on that.

GlobalHero06
Jan 31, 2006
not a local hero
I'm thinking about doing the trade it with my 5X on Google Fi. I'm not sure. I'm perfectly happy with the 5x right now, I'm not a heavy user. But I'm worried about the boot loop issues in the future, although I haven't had a problem with it yet.

What % of Nexus 5xs eventually have problems? I bought it 1.5 years ago, how long will Google warranty it for? If it craps out in 6 or 8 months...will I be screwed and end up paying full price for a new phone?

I'd much rather just keep the 5x if not for fear of it boot looping or whatever.

edit: checking LG site it seems the manufacturer warranty is 1 year...so I guess it's already out of warranty. Are they still honoring it because of the hardware issues?

If mine hasn't boot looped in a year and half of ownership...is it safe to say it probably never will?

GlobalHero06 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 21, 2017

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GlobalHero06 posted:

I'm thinking about doing the trade it with my 5X on Google Fi. I'm not sure. I'm perfectly happy with the 5x right now, I'm not a heavy user. But I'm worried about the boot loop issues in the future, although I haven't had a problem with it yet.

What % of Nexus 5xs eventually have problems? I bought it 1.5 years ago, how long will Google warranty it for? If it craps out in 6 or 8 months...will I be screwed and end up paying full price for a new phone?

I'd much rather just keep the 5x if not for fear of it boot looping or whatever.

edit: checking LG site it seems the manufacturer warranty is 1 year...so I guess it's already out of warranty. Are they still honoring it because of the hardware issues?

If mine hasn't boot looped in a year and half of ownership...is it safe to say it probably never will?

I made it about a year and a half.

My second one is now shutting off at 15% power, and occasionally not detecting it's SIM card.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Mine also went after slightly more than a year. Google replaced it, but there's no guarantee they will still do so in the future. If you're going to stay on Fi and plan on keeping your phone for a long time, I'd swap it out ASAP.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
My 5X after having it for a while recently started to bootloop. Got it replaced and Support told me 90 days warranty.

I just did the trade in for the Moto. $50 Fi credit, $115 for the phone trade-in. Too good of an offer, and I can't risk having my phone bootloop again.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Is there a trade in option for people who still need to actively use their phone day to day? I'd love to jump on the new phone since I have a 5x.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

flatluigi posted:

Is there a trade in option for people who still need to actively use their phone day to day? I'd love to jump on the new phone since I have a 5x.

You have 30 days to ship, so even if you did the trade in today, you still have like a week after getting the new one in mid-october to ship your old one. Unless I misread something and just made myself phoneless for a month.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

Dagon posted:

Unless I misread something and just made myself phoneless for a month.

You're right. It even says on their site "Upon receiving your new device, you have 30 days to send the Nexus device".

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Is there a difference between this Android One X4 and the generally available X4? Other than Google led updates?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I have a Pixel with a perfectly fine (at the moment) 5X gathering dust. I'm still tempted to do the trade-in so I'll have a really good spare.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
My wife is on a new 5x after her old one bootlooped at 18months, very tempted to get her to do this trade-in. The SD card slot might be enough to get her to do it (she's very reluctant to upgrade in general)

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is the Snapdragon 630 in the X4 going to feel slower than the 808 in the 5X? I guess it really doesn't matter, I'm in the same boat as azurite so I should probably just trade the thing in. I'm still curious about the difference in CPU performance, though, since I've had it in my head that the 6xx series is kinda crummy compared to anything 8xx.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anybody else notice anything slightly wonky when in group text threads with non-Fi members? Apparently my texts were quite delayed in a thread just started today, but texting each individual in the group was no prob. :iiam:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

IAmKale posted:

Is the Snapdragon 630 in the X4 going to feel slower than the 808 in the 5X? I guess it really doesn't matter, I'm in the same boat as azurite so I should probably just trade the thing in. I'm still curious about the difference in CPU performance, though, since I've had it in my head that the 6xx series is kinda crummy compared to anything 8xx.

It's a bit hard to find information, but it looks like the Moto X4 s a 2.2 Ghz 8-core vs. the Nexus 5X's 1.8 Ghz 6-core. It can handle 1333 Mhz RAM versus the 5X's 933 Mhz (I have no idea what the clock speed on the RAM in the X4 is).

Overall, because the processor in the X4 is brand new versus the two-year old one in the 5X (and it's got an extra 1GB of RAM), it looks like you're going to see a significant but marginal improvement.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

Johnny Truant posted:

Anybody else notice anything slightly wonky when in group text threads with non-Fi members? Apparently my texts were quite delayed in a thread just started today, but texting each individual in the group was no prob. :iiam:

What app are you using?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tailored Sauce posted:

What app are you using?

Just Messages.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I chatted online with Fi today about my replacement 6p's reboot issue and they're sending me a Pixel XL 32 gb (same as my 6p) replacement. So they must have some of those available still. Maybe it was because the replacement still was under warranty.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah, I might need to make the change here too to the Moto x4 from the 5x. I got the phone in December 2015, and got it replaced twice with a refurb due to bootloop in (April 2017 and August 2017)
I don't really want to roll the dice if that issue comes up again and they don't fix it. Would probably rather pay $275 for that peace of mind. I'm thinking that I may as well finance the phone too, even though I could just pay for it up front. At 0% interest, seems like there's no downside (and there don't appear to be early payment penalties or anything)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

Johnny Truant posted:

Just Messages.

I've had this happen and went from using Messenger to Signal. Made it better but ultimately ended up using Hangouts. Sometimes texting via Fi is delayed depending on the carrier you're connected to. I know in the past people had to force their phones to use t-mobile in order to get texting working again.