Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i really want wiggins to become a star and not just some lovely demar derozan clone. maybe no canadians can be good at basketball till the raptors admit we the north is a lovely slogan for morons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Ghost Dog posted:

i really want wiggins to become a star and not just some lovely demar derozan clone. maybe no canadians can be good at basketball till the raptors admit we the north is a lovely slogan for morons

RJ Barrett is a beast.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Ghost Dog posted:

Tristan Thompson

checkmate idiot :smugdog:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ghost Dog posted:

Wiggins is hitting 3's at a respectable clip so he's already on track to become more than a lovely Derozan clone.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Wiggins also loves the poo poo out of his dog, Cassie.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tristan Thompson is canadian

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Tae posted:

:thejoke:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

While sticker shock is definitely at play here somewhat, I think the bigger issue is that most people dont see him as a max player.

euphronius posted:

Not only a max but a designated rookie max.

I guess Kat will be their other one .

A max is not the same as a rookie max, and the designated rookie is only an extra year, not any more money. I don't know why you'd think a bunch of teams wouldn't offer Wiggins a rookie max the second he hit RFA anyway. He's a legit scorer in the NBA and still only 22.

As for why they are doing it now, it's showing loyalty to a player who they really want to keep as part of their core. We were just bitching about how GMs like to jettison guys they didn't select, so it's nice Thibs doubling down despite that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

And extra year is enormous and they can go up to 30% .

Be interesting to see if Wiggins deal allows it to go up to 30%.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Calling black people canadians is not cool.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Tristan Thompson

checkmate idiot :smugdog:

the last series he was in he was bad so hes literally unplayable sorry

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Is everyone really forgetting Steve Nash is Canuckian?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is everyone really forgetting Steve Nash is Canuckian?

No false MVP's allowed.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

xbilkis posted:

So the realistic worst case scenario without an extension is that he:

-signs a max deal as an RFA with a player option after the third year
-is good enough that the Timberwolves want to retain him at market value when that contract is up
-but he leaves for another team anyway, despite the Timberwolves being able to offer him the most money

The downside to signing him right now is that Andrew Wiggins still might not be very good and you are guaranteeing him 30 million a year for five years

Surely the worst case scenario for no extension is that Wiggins continues next year as he is currently - a mildly inefficient 20 ppg scorer who plays no defense and is a bad synergy fit with Butler and Towns. Minny gets outbid in FA and are happy to let him go, only for him to blossom into an all-star on another team.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

What do you mean it can go up to 30? He doesn't qualify for the Rose rule. If you mean the 5th year is 30% of the cap, that's just what the standard raises would be and the cap is likely going to be quite a bit higher in 6 years when that would applicable.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

I have just listened to the Dunc'd On podcast season preview for the Bucks and am re-hyped for watching Giannis again soon. He was unbelievably fun last year to watch and if he improves again this year then holy moly watch out league.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
5 weeks till the season start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqQ6V_7G0Jk

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

euphronius posted:

If he qualifies for the 30% raise in the final years from the designated rookie exception then he will have earned every penny of his max deal what in the hell are you talking about.

He would have made a goddamn All NBA team or won a goddamn MVP.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I'm pretty sure the cap is going to dip temporarily. Espn et al can not afford more of those TV deals atm

Edit: maybe become stagnant. It's too early to tell but the easy TV money train seems to be evaporating

Time fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 21, 2017

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Time posted:

I'm pretty sure the cap is going to dip temporarily. Espn et al can not afford more of those TV deals atm

I mean they're locked in until 2024-25

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
[quote="“morestuff”" post="“476620617”"]
I mean they’re locked in until 2024-25
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm just thinking out loud separate from the Wiggins convo and more generally about where sports revenue is going to come from in the next decade

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Time posted:

Yeah, I'm just thinking out loud separate from the Wiggins convo and more generally about where sports revenue is going to come from in the next decade

We're way too far out to guess what it's gonna look like in 2025. The Great Streaming Service Wars are just beginning

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lockback posted:

What do you mean it can go up to 30? He doesn't qualify for the Rose rule. If you mean the 5th year is 30% of the cap, that's just what the standard raises would be and the cap is likely going to be quite a bit higher in 6 years when that would applicable.

He could still qualify in his 4th year for 5/30% (the Rose rule) *

That's why I said I wonder if that will be in his contract . It was in ADs contract iirc

------
*For example, if this is the 2018 offseason, then a player meets the performance criteria if he accomplishes any of the following:

Named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team in 2017-18
Named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team in both 2015-16 and 2016-17
Named the Defensive Player of the Year in 2017-18
Named the Defensive Player of the Year in both 2015-16 and 2016-17

Named the NBA Most Valuable Player in 2015-16, 2016-17 or 2017-18

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q23

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Time posted:

Unless you are being very literal when you use the term TV, then no the money train is not going away anytime soon. Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, Google et al will absolutley be in the mix for NBA rights when they come up for auction next time around.

Facebook entered the bidding for the Indian Premier League (cricket) but were outbid by Star (a Murdoch TV company), there are tons of rumours swirling around that Amazon and Facebook are going to enter the English Premier League (soccer) tv rights that are coming up for tender shortly. Amazon already won the NFL Thursday night games package. The NFL mobile rights deal expires at the end of the season and there will be a bloodbath over who wins that (Verizon paid $1bn for four years last time).

The old fashioned model - buy rights, get viewers, sell advertising based on viewers - is dying, yes. But the new model - buy rights, get viewers, exploit viewers by driving them directly to your other content/products - is just beginning to be explored.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So there are three rookie scale max extensions :

1. 4 years / 25% cap first year
2. 5/25%*
3. 5/30%*!

All get 8% annual raises .

All I was saying is that Many of us probably don't think Wiggins is worth the 4/25% max let alone a 5 year max which is apparently on the table

I hope my point is clear now. I apologize for any confusion.

* must be designated by team
! Must meet Rose Rule criteria

euphronius fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 21, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

wiggins is a weird player who I legitimately is trapped in a bizarro world of being both Overrated and Underrated at the same time

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

wiggins is a weird player who I legitimately is trapped in a bizarro world of being both Overrated and Underrated at the same time

I always think of this as the Kevin Martin zone

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

euphronius posted:

He could still qualify in his 4th year for 5/30% (the Rose rule) *

That's why I said I wonder if that will be in his contract . It was in ADs contract iirc

------
*For example, if this is the 2018 offseason, then a player meets the performance criteria if he accomplishes any of the following:

Named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team in 2017-18
Named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team in both 2015-16 and 2016-17
Named the Defensive Player of the Year in 2017-18
Named the Defensive Player of the Year in both 2015-16 and 2016-17

Named the NBA Most Valuable Player in 2015-16, 2016-17 or 2017-18

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q23

yeah. and if he becomes an all NBA player barring injuries(and even then) he is worth that goddamn max.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dexo posted:

yeah. and if he becomes an all NBA player barring injuries(and even then) he is worth that goddamn max.

Certainly

Never said he wouldn't be?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

morestuff posted:

I always think of this as the Kevin Martin zone

This is extremely fitting

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
[quote="“tanglewood1420”" post="“476621085”"]
Unless you are being very literal when you use the term TV, then no the money train is not going away anytime soon. Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, Google et al will absolutley be in the mix for NBA rights when they come up for auction next time around.

Facebook entered the bidding for the Indian Premier League (cricket) but were outbid by Star (a Murdoch TV company), there are tons of rumours swirling around that Amazon and Facebook are going to enter the English Premier League (soccer) tv rights that are coming up for tender shortly. Amazon already won the NFL Thursday night games package. The NFL mobile rights deal expires at the end of the season and there will be a bloodbath over who wins that (Verizon paid $1bn for four years last time).

The old fashioned model - buy rights, get viewers, sell advertising based on viewers - is dying, yes. But the new model - buy rights, get viewers, exploit viewers by driving them directly to your other content/products - is just beginning to be explored.
[/quote]

The rules are incredibly different for the NFL than for the other NA sports. It may as well be another industry. Same for soccer and especially the premiere league.

I know as of last year there was some posturing among the MLB and NBA internally about a decline in media rights revenue but it could have been motivated by different things (tax implications, union negotiations, internal product offerings). It's way too early for sure but it's being prepared for.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

The Lakers got an ad on their jerseys

https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/910915673668202496

I'm surprised. I thought they'd be one of the few teams who avoided that.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the nfl is the most insanely dumb league about how to view their product. do they still send cease and desist letters for loving twitter gifs. im imagining a jowly old dude wheezing out dust about how them dang twooters are stealing our product

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Time posted:

The rules are incredibly different for the NFL than for the other NA sports. It may as well be another industry. Same for soccer and especially the premiere league.

I know as of last year there was some posturing among the MLB and NBA internally about a decline in media rights revenue but it could have been motivated by different things (tax implications, union negotiations, internal product offerings). It's way too early for sure but it's being prepared for.

It's sad how much better MLB is positioned for the post-network world because they got their streaming product right while the NBA is married to Turner's garbage product

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

morestuff posted:

It's sad how much better MLB is positioned for the post-network world because they got their streaming product right while the NBA is married to Turner's garbage product

Everyone should license the MLB product. It's so dang good it makes me wish I could stand watching baseball

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

WHO WANTS TO GO TO KINGS ACADEMY
https://twitter.com/SacramentoKings/status/910913414633070593

quote:

In his role with Sacramento, Duncan is responsible for implementation of the Kings Academy program, a developmental, player-centric curriculum aligning multi-faceted organizational philosophies and ideals to help athletes mature into well-rounded professionals. Under Duncan’s oversight, Kings Academy will augment on-court progress with access to practical material and experiences that help balance on-court priorities and personal responsibilities with opportunities to become impactful contributors in the community.

isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs

Space Camp fuckup posted:

The Lakers got an ad on their jerseys

https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/910915673668202496

I'm surprised. I thought they'd be one of the few teams who avoided that.

Compared to the other team owners, the Buss family does rely on the team as their main source income. At least the ad is very subtle compared to the others.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Is there any point to NBA developmental academies? It gives you an edge to signing the kid in club soccer, but if there's any kind of draft it seem pointless

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

That corporate new speak word vomit is kings.txt now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

i'm surprised the Lakers didn't put BBB as their jersey ads (i'm not actually surprised)

• Locked thread