Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So I can look at them. Who cares why?

Is it possible or no?

I mean, you can look at them in your iCloud photo library too.

Your best bet would be to just use Google Photos though and clear that space off your phone, I can't imagine installing updates is a whole lot of fun when you have 8800 photos on your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
One minor new annoyance (to me at least) is that adjusting ringer volume with buttons within the sounds menu actually plays the ring sound now. Makes sense logically but I liked being able to turn up the volume without it actually making a noise.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

illcendiary posted:

I liked being able to turn up the volume without it actually making a noise.

so just use the volume buttons? even with mute off, when no audio is playing, volume up/down changes ringer without previewing your ring

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So I can look at them. Who cares why?

Is it possible or no?
Assuming you’re using iCloud Photo Library, go to Settings / Photos and switch Optimize Storage to Download and Keep Originals. Then plug it in and wait.

What xzzy said.

nmk
Aug 3, 2009
I need to sync my bookmarks between safari on my iPhone and chrome on a windows laptop. Is there a way to do this easily without installing iCloud control panel? (IT won't let me install iCloud on the work laptop).

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Pivo posted:

so just use the volume buttons? even with mute off, when no audio is playing, volume up/down changes ringer without previewing your ring

Unless you have "Change with Buttons" turned off in Settings > Sounds > Ringer and Alerts.

I leave my phone on vibrate 99% of the time, and anytime I turn the ringer on it's because I really want to be alerted to a call so I just leave the ringer set to max volume. For me, it's nice to know the volume buttons only affect system volume and never ringer volume.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

I think we've reached peak iPhone supply. A gold 8+ that wasn't supposed to arrive until the end of the month is being delivered to my home tomorrow.

Unlike peak oil, peak iPhone means there will no longer be shortages* because no one cares anymore and Johnny Ives is trying desperately hard to slit his own wrists with the far too rounded corners of the latest iPhone**.

*does not include iPhone X

**should have used a SE

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Unless you have "Change with Buttons" turned off in Settings > Sounds > Ringer and Alerts.

wow, that's a thing? did Apple turn that off by default at some point? Volume = Ringer has been true for me for as long as I've had an iPhone :O In fact I remember it was a big complaint people had, they'd turn down their volume and were annoyed it turned down their ringer.

Well, anyhow... I guess if you flip that switch ...

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krispy Kareem posted:

I think we've reached peak iPhone supply. A gold 8+ that wasn't supposed to arrive until the end of the month is being delivered to my home tomorrow.

Yeah, my 64GB Space Grey 8 said Sept 30th-Oct 10 when I ordered it from T-Mobile (which was fine) but it's coming tomorrow instead. I think that everyone anticipated more demand for the 8 than they got. Guess that's what happens when you put out a device that's an iteration (albeit a good iteration) alongside the announcement of a real game changer!

Me, I just wanted to go back to iOS. My LG V20's battery and performance went to poo poo almost overnight, and I realized I'm never gonna get regular updates on it (and I don't want to get back into the rooting/flashing scene). Out of curiosity, I dug out my wife's three-year-old iPhone 6, put iOS 11 on it, and it was running smoother and nearly as fast as my top-of-the line, year old V20 ever did. Which was kinda the death knell for any thoughts that Android was better for me than iOS.

As for why the 8: the wireless charging and True Tone, plus the $300 in bill credits T-Mobile is giving me for the old 6 I'm using in the interim, was enough for me to go for the it compared over the 6S or 7. Bill credits aren't great (compared to a straight discount) but by the time the 8's paid off the third generation iPhone X will be coming out, and that'll be a nice upgrade.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 21, 2017

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

Unlike peak oil, peak iPhone means there will no longer be shortages* because no one cares anymore and Johnny Ives is trying desperately hard to slit his own wrists with the far too rounded corners of the latest iPhone**.

I'm kind of surprised because here in Norway iPhone supply always seemed to be extremely limited for the first few months (at least back in the 3G-4s days, which was when I last owned iPhones), and it was even a queue at my carrier's preorder. I half-expected to haing to wait two weeks or so, but luck and fortune prevailed

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

People are waiting for the X I guess.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the iPhone X shortage related meltdowns on Reddit.

"IT'S JANUARY NOW AND I STILL HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO GET AN IPHONE X, APPLE DO YOU HATE MONEY?"

"APPLE IS PRIORITIZING LIBERAL CELEBRITIES WITH THE IPHONE X, HERE'S PROOF (link to Imgur gallery of famous people holding phones with edge-to-edge displays, half of which are actually S8s and G6s)"

"I GOT TIRED OF WAITING FOR MY IPHONE X SO I MODDED MY PHONE (Redditor has cut a piece of electrical tape in the shape of the brow and stuck it to the front of their 7+)"

Edit: "APPLE IS HOLDING STOCK TO SELL ON THE CHINESE BLACK MARKET (link to a photo of a Japanese grandma buying a single iPhone X)"

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 21, 2017

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Pivo posted:

No, that's exactly the problem, it plays the ring now when you use the volume buttons, even when your phone is on silent/vibrate. Before it only previewed the sound when you used the slider on the touchscreen.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Is there any way to make my landscape keyboard go across the entire screen, instead of being all cramped in the center like this?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

[quote="“Rock My Socks!”" post="“476622805”"]
Is there any way to make my landscape keyboard go across the entire screen, instead of being all cramped in the center like this?

[/quote]

Hey wtf 😡

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ok so I'll chime in

big MESSAGES is indeed annoying. Should at least have the options. Don't like all the extra icons and marketing-esque poo poo in messages but ces't la vie

new control center is great on paper but poor on execution, they missed a lot of little things to make it good. I prefer the old one, especially for using my phone to DJ via spotify with the album art etc etc. I know someone in this thread has complained about that like five times now, with due reason

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Use a better keyboard imo

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Craig Federighi Says 3D Touch App Switcher Gesture Will Return in Future Update to iOS 11

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Use a better keyboard imo

I like how apple allows 3rd party keyboards only after they dial theirs in and get it working good

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have another stupid loving question that’s pissing me off.

How the gently caress do I check the battery life on my beats now that they removed the battery bar from the top? I can’t swipe the control center like before.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I have another stupid loving question that’s pissing me off.

How the gently caress do I check the battery life on my beats now that they removed the battery bar from the top? I can’t swipe the control center like before.

huh? There was never a battery bar at the top. My jaybirds have a battery bar at the top next to the bluetooth thing, which is cool, and I wish the beatsx did.

Anyways there's a widget for batteries and it'll show up there. Aside from plugging them into your computer I don't think there's any other way 🤔

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

[quote="“Nostalgia4Dogges”" post="“476623827”"]
huh? There was never a battery bar at the top. My jaybirds have a battery bar at the top next to the bluetooth thing, which is cool, and I wish the beatsx did.

Anyways there’s a widget for batteries and it’ll show up there. Aside from plugging them into your computer I don’t think there’s any other way 🤔
[/quote]

Well I mean the power beats 2 had the bar and they removed it for these new versions.

I didn’t think to check the widget so I guess that will Work but on iOS 10 you could swipe the control center and see it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Well I mean the power beats 2 had the bar and they removed it for these new versions.

I didn’t think to check the widget so I guess that will Work but on iOS 10 you could swipe the control center and see it.

oh ok yeah I forgot the control center thing, not sure if that works for ios11

Yeah the beatsx doesn't have that battery bar at the top for whatever reason. I suppose they could update it in but yeah

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What happens (to Marcus) if you bring up the control center then tap the arcs in the top right corner of the music box? When it shows the beatsx as an audio device, does it show the battery % under it? (It does with airpods).

Not that that’s more convenient than swiping to the battery widget.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thank you Craig

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Great, so once my muscle memory to keep trying to use it finally fades, it'll be back and I have to learn it all over again.

Pick a side, Apple.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
What’s the way to give the iPhone plus Note-like features (and I don’t mean exploding)? Are there any decent stylus?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is this

Apple 12W USB Power Adapter Compatible With iPad (1st generation) iPad 2 (2nd generation) iPad (3rd generation) iPad with Retina display iPad mini iPad mini 2 iPad Air iPad Air 2 iPad mini 3 iPad mini 4 (NO RETAIL PACKAGING) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017RNDHKW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0LbXzbYS5Z7N3

a legitimate iPad charger?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What happens (to Marcus) if you bring up the control center then tap the arcs in the top right corner of the music box? When it shows the beatsx as an audio device, does it show the battery % under it? (It does with airpods).

Does it? I just checked and no battery indicator on my AirPods.

I use the widget anyway and because of the AirPods case I never run out of battery power. But I can see where this would be annoying as hell.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can use any 5v 2amp charger for iPads. Ikea sell one that has 3 USB outputs. It's great.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It does, yes. It's not as useful as showing in the status bar or with one swipe, sadly.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I really preferred when apple released interesting and polished but flawed new features that they fixed over time. I feel like their new MO is actually removing things that people like and that work for new, flawed features. Like how do you gently caress up a wifi toggle? And why even change long standing functionality that everyone understands. Nobody was complaining that they wished the wifi toggle didn't actually turn off wifi.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is this

Apple 12W USB Power Adapter Compatible With iPad (1st generation) iPad 2 (2nd generation) iPad (3rd generation) iPad with Retina display iPad mini iPad mini 2 iPad Air iPad Air 2 iPad mini 3 iPad mini 4 (NO RETAIL PACKAGING) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017RNDHKW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0LbXzbYS5Z7N3

There's like a 0% chance it's legit. Just (as QoP said) buy a charger from someone reputable. I dunno if Anker stuff is available there, but they're my go-to for pretty much everything.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is this

Based on the seller and price, and just the product title in general, I would lean sharply away from that.

Honestly, the only 3rd party chargers I'd trust would be Anker. Otherwise I've ordered replacements direct from Apple. I don't want my house to burn down because of a cheap wall wart.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Krispy Kareem posted:

Does it? I just checked and no battery indicator on my AirPods.
Yeah, for both the pods and the case.

But, my airpods are currently connected to my phone and they’re in their case. On my phone, the battery levels show up, but on my iPad the airpods don’t show up at all until I flip open the case. Which seems reasonable.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anker are so drat good. Chargers, cables, everything. I have an iPad keyboard case from them from my Air2, it cost like €40 and is insanely well made.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Is anyone missing the options to follow other Apple Music users? I've go to For You, clicked on my image on the top right and it's not there.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Dugong posted:

Is anyone missing the options to follow other Apple Music users? I've go to For You, clicked on my image on the top right and it's not there.

That's weird cause I did the same thing as you and it was missing as well, then tried again then it was there.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I think Apple Music is having some issues at the moment. Getting a ton of blank album art any time I browse an artist's catalog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I am amazed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/71kdej/til_on_ios_11_tapping_on_other_app_icons_while/