Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I just binge-read all of this. How can one series be so good? HOW, I ask you. It manages to be consistently funny and exciting and informative (and, uh...appetite inducing) while maintaining a consistent tone.

Favorite part has to be Tanigaki confidently saying "boner" when he turns good guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
This manga only has two flaws, killing Edogai off way too early, and the fact that Ryu doesn't show up enough.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

On the other hand, I just noticed that Sugimoto's tin of miso osoma gradually gets emptier as the series goes on.

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!
So it looks like Viz did a DMCA takedown and asked batoto to remove every single chapter of Golden Kamuy. That's a real shame, since I prefer uploading on batoto since it lets us reupload and fix errors if we need to. I thought Viz wasn't quite as quick to remove series as, say, Yen Press, but I guess I was wrong.

But more interestingly, I was looking at pictures of the Viz version of volume 2 on twitter and I noticed something. It seems an awful lot like they just, well, plagiarized our scanlation.

Viz

Ours

Viz

Ours

Viz

Ours

Viz

Ours

Sure, there's only so many ways that you can write something, but some of that stuff is almost word for word what we had. Also, what's most suspicious to me is that the Ainu is exactly the same. Given that a written Ainu language was a late invention that didn't always have a consistent romanization, there's a lot of room for different ways to write out Ainu words. I'm the one that transcribed all the Ainu words, and I used a lot of guesswork when it came to the spelling of some confusing words and how I decided to split words up in a sentence. So the fact that they wrote the same thing would be pretty surprising if their work was totally original. I can't say for 100% sure, but it sure seems like they just copied what we had, changed a few words, and then got paid for it. Not that we can do poo poo about it as a Highly Illegal Scanlating Group, though!

HouseofGlass fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 22, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Huzzah!
:geno:
(Geno for viz, not you.
Because: Seriously, viz?)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

HouseofGlass posted:

So it looks like Viz did a DMCA takedown and asked batoto to remove every single chapter of Golden Kamuy. That's a real shame, since I prefer uploading on batoto since it lets us reupload and fix errors if we need to. I thought Viz wasn't quite as quick to remove series as, say, Yen Press, but I guess I was wrong.

But more interestingly, I was looking at pictures of the Viz version of volume 2 on twitter and I noticed something. It seems an awful lot like they just, well, plagiarized our scanlation.

Sure, there's only so many ways that you can write something, but some of that stuff is almost word for word what we had. Also, what's most suspicious to me is that the Ainu is exactly the same. Given that a written Ainu language was a late invention that didn't always have a consistent romanization, there's a lot of room for different ways to write out Ainu words. I'm the one that transcribed all the Ainu words, and I used a lot of guesswork when it came to the spelling of some confusing words and how I decided to split words up in a sentence. So the fact that they wrote the same thing would be pretty surprising if their work was totally original. I can't say for 100% sure, but it sure seems like they just copied what we had, changed a few words, and then got paid for it. Not that we can do poo poo about it as a Highly Illegal Scanlating Group, though!

lol owned

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!
I feel like I probably made some mistakes along the way (nobody's perfect!). I want to email the poor translator and warn him of great danger. But I also think if they ended up copying one of our mistakes word for word that would be just about the funniest thing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Like that one where Tsurumi makes a direct reference to Godfather Death (the Grimm fairy tale) but "shinigami" isn't translated?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

HouseofGlass posted:

I thought Viz wasn't quite as quick to remove series as, say, Yen Press, but I guess I was wrong.
They aren't, typically. There are tons of other VIZ series that remain up on sites like Batoto. I could speculate why they changed their position, for good or for ill, but honestly I have no idea.

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Like that one where Tsurumi makes a direct reference to Godfather Death (the Grimm fairy tale) but "shinigami" isn't translated?

No, actually, I think it's a reference to a rakugo story called "Shinigami." This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IH4DK-h3iQ

The rakugo story seems to be an adaptation based on the Godfather Death story, but I don't think Tsurumi is directly referencing the Grimm fairy tale. Either way though, it doesn't change the fact that I didn't catch the reference at all, even though I saw that anime! Whoops!

HouseofGlass fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 22, 2017

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

It is SO funny that you mention the idea of your scanlation having been plagiarized, HouseofGlass. I recently re-read from the beginning on bato.to and just had a sort of thought like, hmmm, I wonder how the scanlation stacked up against the printed version and I noticed that it was quite often not just similar (VERY similar) but just about verbatim. I guess I didn't say anything about it because I wasn't really sure what to say about it, but it was noticeable. Particularly the Ainu, as you said. And that's not coincidental, that's not just "well, there are only so many ways you can say it..." because we all know that as far as translation goes, actually, there are a LOT of ways you can say it while still being more or less true to the original version. Translators still have recognizable styles to an extent.

It's this same kinda stuff that gets talked about round and around. I picked up golden kamuy because my friends on twitter were talking about how amazing it was before the physical volumes came out, but ordered it the second I could. I literally would not have known about it had people not been reading your scanlations. I probably wouldn't have stuck with it had the quality of your translations also been noticeable. I have every intention of buying every volume available, and have actually started buying up a few JPN volumes (I wanted 11 to see a couple differences y'all didn't have yet cuz you were going week to week by that point).

But yeah, you can't do poo poo about it since it's a scanlation. Well, thanks for your hard work. It's appreciated.

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 23, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I've worked on series that have been picked up in the past, and it's actually pretty common for this to happen. It may be that they did just verbatim take it from the scanlator's work, but it could also be because they read your work before they picked it up. So any reading of your work that they had you done before they picked it up would of course color their future translations.

It's impossible to tell if it was definitely one way or the other, but the fact that they actually went after the scanlations is kind of damning.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I actually wondered myself how common it is. It was immediately obvious to me in this instance because of something out of the ordinary in terms of the timing on the way I read things.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
it seems like it would be cheaper for the company to just buy the translation from you guys. i think thats what happened when the Beck manga got licensed. when this kind of thing happens is it their contractors pulling a fast one on Viz?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

It's cool when you steal a translation and still take like 4 months to put out a volume :laugh:

I feel like GK has a slower release schedule than other volumes I buy(I think most I get are spaced out 3 mon?) but I may not keep up well since I usually just load up as many as I can at a time via preorder then forget about them until they show up at my door.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

work smart not hard that's why nintendo sell you roms they've downloaded from places like emuparadise on the virtual console eshop and why you get no-cd cracks with the crack group dummy info deleted from the .exe through steam on old games they do it because the people they're copying from don't really have a leg to stand on. definitely sucks that they can take it and claim it's theirs though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I had a dream that I received a package from the author, and turns out there was a portrait of me as a Golden Kamui character in there, which also doubled as a teabag. It was because I backed his Kickstarter for an animated short starring Shiraishi (he was asking for 10 million dollars, got 200 million dollars from fans worldwide).

The portrait didn't look anything like me, but I was so excited that I woke up.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I had a dream that I received a package from the author, and turns out there was a portrait of me as a Golden Kamui character in there, which also doubled as a teabag. It was because I backed his Kickstarter for an animated short starring Shiraishi (he was asking for 10 million dollars, got 200 million dollars from fans worldwide).

The portrait didn't look anything like me, but I was so excited that I woke up.

Congratulations.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Golden-Kamui/Ch-118--Cleaning-Up-a-Mess?id=385124

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

I had to share this Matagi lottery with you all when i saw it:

https://twitter.com/sonylover2/status/915951750556803074

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
That's beautiful
:allears:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
And a new chapter has been out for a while.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
new chapter

i'm delight by the recent turn the series has taken into a beefcake fan service delivery system

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

noda is 100% getting off to this

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/transfren/status/917368432554860546

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Yayyyyy we're finally to the dong slap heard round the world :allears:

I'm way more excited about the next few chapters than I have any right to be but what can I say, I love the lewd matagi

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Motherfucking obligatory hot springs fanservice chapter

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

https://twitter.com/kamuy_anime/status/919850435783016449

Shiraishi looking good
https://twitter.com/kamuy_official/status/919851077624774656

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapters - https://bato.to/reader#3f8a4fddf9002dd4

More sexual innuendo and convenient censorship than you can shake an agaric mushroom at.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

grab them by the dingle

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

noda is 100% getting off to this

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Lovin' the dick silhouettes.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bonergate: why do batoto commenters seem to think that sugimoto's swingin' dick is erect when it isn't

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Perhaps they've never seen one before so they wouldn't know if it is or not

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter with new species of conveniently-placed mushroom - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Golden-Kamui/Ch-122--Inkarmat--the-Woman-Who-Sees?id=388963

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I love this manga so much.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mikl posted:

I love this manga so much.

What's your avatar from.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Hate-Senpai posted:

What's your avatar from.

Kase-san. To be specific, this page.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I've been waiting for this chapter to come up :dings:

I really, really need to stop reading the raws ahead of time because I'm going to be in agony until EHS gets to the most recent chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

https://bato.to/reader#9e69db69e017051e