Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Grrrr

e: That's a shocking first post on a new page, for an update we had the team bottom of the league come to town, we went 3-0 up in 20 minutes again and my striker scored 5 and got concussed.
New youth intake! No good strikers or defensive mids, which is where I'm thin (youth intake only challenge) but a potential Prem-quality DC who is big and tough unlike all the ball-playing types I have.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Walton Simons posted:

Grrrr

e: That's a shocking first post on a new page, for an update we had the team bottom of the league come to town, we went 3-0 up in 20 minutes again and my striker scored 5 and got concussed.
New youth intake! No good strikers or defensive mids, which is where I'm thin (youth intake only challenge) but a potential Prem-quality DC who is big and tough unlike all the ball-playing types I have.

Turn one of your more ballin' DCs into a DM?

I don't have the patience or the time for challenge games these days really. I still like the idea of only signing players who have you as their favoured club (or manager). Maybe include your senior players and coaching staff in that too, I don't know. The scouting for it would be a mess but you should end up with ludicrous levels of team spirit.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I decided to try something new and start employed, taking the first job that was offered to me.

Step up, Energie Cottbus! Rooted to the foot of the German second division in early December, no transfer budget, and over the wage budget. Should be fun!

Edit: oh yeah, and the board expectation is promotion.

Bobby Digital fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 8, 2017

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Is there a good database update for the end of this transfer window?

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Nice passing.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
what do i do with this 17 year old please

how do i play him? what do i train him as

I am Millwall in the championship currently

lookit those physicals!

the rest is a bit poo poo though isnt it?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Technicals are poor but they're easier to train up than physicals. I'd go for something like Inside Forward to make use of that Finishing/Flair/Composure.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Mentals are the problem there. Stick him at wing back and have him run forever in an extremely Antonio Valencia way.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
To answer my question about database updates for 2017/2018, I've found one here:

FMInside

Giving it a try now...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Waroduce posted:

what do i do with this 17 year old please

how do i play him? what do i train him as

I am Millwall in the championship currently

lookit those physicals!

the rest is a bit poo poo though isnt it?

His physicals aren't even that great when you ignore Stamina and Natural Fitness.

Low Anticipation kills him as a player.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
What? He's in the championship.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mandalay posted:

What? He's in the championship.

And he'll stay there if he gets excited about a 16 pace and no idea how to use it player.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

wouldn't Strength be important too, in the Championship?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I get excited about any player who has higher than 'poo poo conference player' potential

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Any good features in FM18? Steam is tempting me with a 25% preorder discount for owning 17.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Mandalay posted:

Any good features in FM18? Steam is tempting me with a 25% preorder discount for owning 17.

It's the new FM. We will all buy it even if the only improvement is a +1 to the title.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
It'll have 20,000 new features such as :
- improved search engine for in-game social feeds
- more accurate stretcher carrier animation
- player diet and nutrition section, on par with training
- manager marital status
- player personal branding, with a page per player and interactions based on conflicting sponsors with teammates or fan opinion

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

FM18.0 - reduced likelihood of players taking long shots
FM18.1 - increased likelihood of players taking long shots
FM18.2 - slightly reduced likelihood of players taking long shots

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
FM18 will be worse than 17. Avoid.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Shazback posted:

- player diet and nutrition section, on par with training

Feed the lads indian before the champions league final

Maybe cater drugged pizza to your opponents hotel

I'm super excited about my player. Ive never sed wingbacks but I got him and james bree playing wingback for me in a weird 5-3-1-1 formation.....cause I can't have real wingers w wingbacks right?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Wingbacks and Inside Forwards might be alright.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Mandalay posted:

Wing backs are now mere galactical superstars rather than terrifying universe destroyers?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I really wish FM would adopt a player rating system more like Out of the Park, where you don't know WITH CERTAINTY that Jordan Henderson is exactly a 5% better passer than Emre Can. This will never happen.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

Why? Not being snarky I legit know nothing about 18

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bewbies posted:

I really wish FM would adopt a player rating system more like Out of the Park, where you don't know WITH CERTAINTY that Jordan Henderson is exactly a 5% better passer than Emre Can. This will never happen.

You can only know that with certainty if you use cheats to see their hidden attributes.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Aren't stats actually out of 100 and the 1-20 is a slight abstraction?

16 is still strictly better than 15 but not necessarily by 5%

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

You can only know that with certainty if you use cheats to see their hidden attributes.

I don't really know how this works w/ the match engine but I would have thought that a guy with 16 passing is exactly 5% better passing than a guy with 15 passing.

Point being, it'd be cool if those numbers were put through a scout or something and we the e-manager didn't have truth data on exactly how fast theo walcott is in comparison to every other player on the planet.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
There's some of that in lower league with skill ranges.

For your roleplay needs you can always just imagine it's a sort of average of all your scouts, and since actual on-pitch is both variable and affected by hidden stats it's never an accurate representation of the player's skill or "worth" for your team.

In this topic though sometimes the ranges are insulting, when a starter for a major club in the PL or similar top league has blank stats. Seriously, I could probably ask the players on my 3rd division team or watch youtube and have some kind of idea of if it's a strength, something he's average at or a flaw. Not super precise, but when a guy has played 9 full PL matches for Arsenal and my scouts don't even know if he can jump it's kind of bad.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I'm 99% sure that the range is 1 - 20, not an abstracted 1 - 100. I remember reading a while ago that there's a decimal place that's not shown.

That's why you can often see a red or green arrow next to a rating, even though it's showing the same number as before.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

I might have to retire from FM :catstare:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sassassin posted:

Any reasons for this, or just a hunch?

Bobby Digital posted:

I might have to retire from FM :catstare:

Nice to see Robbie Keane scoring for his boyhood club.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bewbies posted:

I don't really know how this works w/ the match engine but I would have thought that a guy with 16 passing is exactly 5% better passing than a guy with 15 passing.

Point being, it'd be cool if those numbers were put through a scout or something and we the e-manager didn't have truth data on exactly how fast theo walcott is in comparison to every other player on the planet.

The way most of the maths works is that the attribute score (out of 20) is divided by 25 and that's your basic unmodified success rate of doing stuff. At its simplest that's what the match engine is doing.

But it's very rarely that simple. The attributes you see on the player screen aren't what the match engine will be working with more often than not. They're the player at his best day in training. For example, they will only play with those attributes at most [consistency]/25 of the time. So a more consistent player may well go into a lot of games with a higher Passing score than his less-consistent but +1 Passing teammate.

Now apply the same thought to how Important Matches, Pressure, Temperament, Morale, Technique (for the hard passes), Composure, Decisions, Anticipation, Left/Right foot strength etc. also have an effect.

Jordan Henderson loving sucks is what I'm saying.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

sebzilla posted:

Aren't stats actually out of 100 and the 1-20 is a slight abstraction?

The 100 thing is limited to attribute development (I'm a notch above 19 sure). The whole number is what gets carried forward to the match engine.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Masonity posted:

It's the new FM. We will all buy it even if the only improvement is a +1 to the title.

Please make this the thread title.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Can hidden stats like consistency change over time?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Consistently will slowly improve over time/runs of games.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I've got the database modded so it goes down to the amateur levels in the English league, literal Sunday footballers.

It is going to be tough though, I know that tactics should be simple at that level but I can't quite find a formation I like.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Sad King Billy posted:

I've got the database modded so it goes down to the amateur levels in the English league, literal Sunday footballers.

It is going to be tough though, I know that tactics should be simple at that level but I can't quite find a formation I like.

3-6-1 midfield all BWMs one TM instructions > get stuck in > go route one

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Four. Four. loving. Two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sad King Billy posted:

I know that tactics should be simple at that level

Bullshit.