Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I've just started playing Divinity: Original Sin Extended Edition (not the new D:OS2) and am a bit lost for what to do. Other than the tips on the wiki, is there anything else I should know? I haven't really played any other games in this genre to be honest.

There's a LOT to do in the main town. Once you feel you've done as much as you can there, go northwest out of the town and explore. Not the beach, the other northwest exit. Where are you right now, and what specifically are you lost with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

GuavaMoment posted:

There's a LOT to do in the main town. Once you feel you've done as much as you can there, go northwest out of the town and explore. Not the beach, the other northwest exit. Where are you right now, and what specifically are you lost with?

Just wandering around the town, to be honest - and the depth of stuff to do and stats/skills etc.

Will I gently caress anything up and end up at a point where I can't progress if I don't follow some kind of ~optimal build~ or is it the kind of game where you can usually brute force through with potions/scrolls even if your build isn't great?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You can't bring a chrysallid in for questioning.

Here's the interrogation info for Chryssalids

:cheeky:

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Will I gently caress anything up and end up at a point where I can't progress if I don't follow some kind of ~optimal build~ or is it the kind of game where you can usually brute force through with potions/scrolls even if your build isn't great?

I think you can muddle through. It's certainly an option to murder everyone you meet and I think you can still win the game that way. You'd just not have ANY idea what to do because you'd miss the story. There are companions you can recruit in and around the town to build up to a party of 4, that should be a goal before wandering too far outside of town.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You can't bring a chrysallid in for questioning.

A live capture of a Chryssalid is frankly how Alien starts. Do you want a repeat of the Nostromo? Because X-COM does not :colbert:.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Grabbed I am Setsuna with the PSN sale. Any tips/missables on this guy or is it pretty straight forward?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mayor McCheese posted:

Grabbed I am Setsuna with the PSN sale. Any tips/missables on this guy or is it pretty straight forward?

there aren't really any missables, but do try to fill out your drop conditions list as you encounter new monsters. there are a couple rare drops (their drop condition is literally "beat the rng") from common enemies early in the game and if you don't get them, you miss out on really important abilities like Dispel.

i missed them and there's a "slump" about two-thirds of the way through the game of four or five bosses where you don't quite have access to game-breaking attacks (or the airship :v:), but they're super powerful and assume that you have an extremely specific skill loadout. it's very frustrating, and a real bummer to have to backtrack because you gotta hoof it all the way back to the earliest parts of the game if you didn't get them the first time.

there's one dual tech--hagakure, i think--that can inflict stun on a lot of monsters, including bosses. it's chance-based, though, so while a number of players report coasting through the game on it, it didn't proc for me at all in boss fights where walkthroughs will tell you "just use hagakure :downs:" guides are, sadly, a little useless for this game because that seems to be the most pervasive solution, and it gets really frustrating if it doesn't work for you but the only advice on the internet is to use that one attack.

there's an extremely important timed attack gameplay element. the way it works is, as you take actions (or even just let time pass with your ATB filled), you gain charges to execute timed attacks; if you don't have any charges, you can't do it. you have to press a specific button (X on an xbox pad/square on a dualshock, iirc) to trigger it... but it's a different button from confirm :psyduck:

the game has a short written tutorial for this feature, but it never tells you what button you need to press to activate timed attacks. this is, sadly, somewhat indicative of the quality of the rest of the game :(

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 17, 2017

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

I know it's recent, but do you have anything for Divinity: Original Sin 2? I'm mostly interested in two things:

- Do I have to cart around a couple of tons of crafting ingredients?
- Is it better to go with create your own character or go with one of the Origin characters? I assume the latter.

- You can, I've dabbled in crafting but yet to find anything super useful so far.
- Origin characters are better, you can completely customize there skills and you get extra story and dialogue
- Each companion has their own quets, but you can also customize their starting class. This makes them quite flexible, but you are stuck with the presets the game provides like Witch, Wizard and Fighter.
- Summoning is its own skill now, and it's really useful.
- In the early game, your money to buy skills is going to be very limited, so be very picky, be on the lookout for things that remove status effects.

Also, it's a bit of a copout, but I found this article pretty useful:

http://www.pcgamer.com/divinity-original-sin-2-guide-beginners/

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Is there anything for Battlevoid Harbinger?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Oh wow, that's a lot of nebulous stuff. Glad I asked.

Thanks a bunch!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Anything I should know about Ever Oasis?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Final Fantasy IX just dropped on PS4 and I haven't played it in literally 20 years, is there anything not on the wiki to be aware of?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Final Fantasy IX just dropped on PS4 and I haven't played it in literally 20 years, is there anything not on the wiki to be aware of?

Rob the everliving poo poo out of bosses.

I'm sure that's on the Wiki, though. But, seriously, rob the hell out of them.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mayor McCheese posted:

The real missable is that game heyoooooo

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

The real missable is that game heyoooooo

*the piano gets louder grows angier*

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

There's a missable items FAQ on GameFAQs. It's short, to the point, and sorted in order of plot availability. Ignore the Excalibur II entry.

The wiki is full of poo poo on the "spirit and speed are not that important" bit, at least as far as spirit is concerned. Spirit:

- Increases critical hit rate
- Increases duration of positive statuses
- Decreases duration of negative statuses
- Increases frequency of Regen healing you
- Decreases frequency of Poison/Venom hurting you

No, it's not the be-all and end-all but it's hardly a dump stat. Its effect on Regen in particular is extremely appreciable given how Regen/Poison and the ATB in general work in this game (Auto-Regen plus any animation of non-trivial length is basically a full heal if your spirit's good).

That said, unless you're inclined to be a spergy min/maxer, don't sweat stats and leveling too much. It's mostly just a thing to bear in mind if you decide to sit down and explicitly level grind, so you get more benefits out of it.

As far as stealing is concerned, realistically, try to steal a good chunk of stuff, but almost everything that can be stolen can eventually be obtained - usually in as much quantity as you like - later on by some other means. (Read: don't forget Zidane's a good attacker too.) If it is unique or limited-quantity, the aforementioned missable items FAQ has got you covered to let you know you should care more.

Most minigames are take-it-or-leave-it. Chocobo Hot and Cold, however, is amazing and rewarding and well worth doing, however, even tying into some sidequests of its own. It's also tied to plot progress, so check back in periodically and see what new chocographs you can dig up.

The game has an awful lot of charm off the main plot-required path. Enjoy loving around, watching ATEs, talking to NPCs, etc. Basically standard JRPG advice of "progressing the plot is the last priority". They did a bang-up job with character animations, including characters who aren't the immediate focus of the scene at the moment. Try to keep half an eye on what characters are doing in the background.

Wrist (buyable in Dali) + Steepled Hat (buyable in Lindblum) synth into Cotton Robe (also in Lindblum) which sells for a net profit. Usually your abuse of this is limited to where the plot will let you go at the moment, but by all means stock up on Wrists and/or Steepled Hats in preparation of future money.

Vil fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 20, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

the abcs of ff9, by someone who really, really, really, REALLY, REALLY knows his ff9:

A) use steal on bosses, or anything that's a scripted encounter, really. put zidane on steal duty, and have everyone else just punch poo poo. if you get everything, great! if you don't, oh well. 99% of the items you can steal from bosses are just one or two dungeons removed from being able to buy them in shops.

B) it's a good idea to master every ability you come across. passive abilities are marked in green. active abilities are red. be sure to equip your passives on the abilities screen! they don't have any effect if you don't spend the ability crystals to use them. if you master everything as you find them on new equipment, you'll never be underleveled.

C) interact with all the ! and ? bubbles you come across while walking around in towns and dungeons! sometimes, they're just flavor; other times, they're nice bonus items. once in a while, they're required to solve a puzzle in a dungeon to progress.

these are the three most important things, distilled into three easy points. ff9 has a lot of other mechanical depth to it, but you probably shouldn't sperg about it that hard :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Don't sell the Mage Masher. The only other time you can buy it is in Disc 4, and it's a lynchpin towards getting several other weapons.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yeah but you can buy it in dali

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Quick question Re: Disgaea 5 (Complete, for the switch if that matters): Is there a way to see what chance characters have to trigger combo attacks besides in actual battle?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

I've just finished 100%-ing Oxenfree which is the free game on Xbox right now. I got some tips if anyone else is interested.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

im cute posted:

I've just finished 100%-ing Oxenfree which is the free game on Xbox right now. I got some tips if anyone else is interested.
:justpost:

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Well alright. So for Oxenfree:

-This is a walking/talking game. There are no game over scenarios so just relax and be spooked.

-You'll need 3 playthroughs to see the whole story as it continues through NG+ and NG++. Conveniently, you can also 100% the game in exactly 3 playthroughs.

-There are two kinds of collectibles. Anomalies are the rock piles you'll have to go a little out of your way to find. Just tune your radio like you would with the cursed objects/portals. Two of them are behind radio-locked doors.

-The other are Maggie Adler's letters. They're a little trickier to find because they are not obvious like the piles and can be even farther out of the way. You can't pick them up until you find the WAL radio either. Tune to 140.1 in every map section to hear a clue on its location.

-Adler's letters give valuable insight into the story. Anomalies are just for spookin. Neither will affect how your character acts.

-If you want to preserve Nona and Ren's romance, make sure you leave them together and also talk to them about each other at every opportunity. Make sure to tell Nona that Ren knew she liked him at the bridge.

-It's difficult to make Jonas or Nona hate you, but it's possible: Take the ghost's deal and tell both of them you took it. Near the end, don't help Jonas with the tape player.

-Taking the portal dooms a certain character.

-Whether your brother lives or not depends on what you tell him in the little dream sequence at the very end.

-You can't make Clarissa like you. Sorry.

-Save Ren first.

-I don't think it ever comes up before the game asks you, so: 85 officers died.

-The game saves on every area transition. If you badly mess up a dialogue option or get stuck in terrain due to spooky bugs, quit out before you do anything else.

-One particular part will loop indefinitely unless you go down instead of up.

-Ren lied: the radio definitely gets reception in most every part of the island.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Anything for Predynastic Egypt? I"ve plyed it a couple of times but there must be something I'm missing because I fail the Trade Route quest and fail the civil war quest because I fail trade routes. Anything is helpful even if it seems like obvious beginner stuff.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
So thinking of playing Total War: Warhammer before the sequel comes out and is up to speed.

Any advice for a beginner? Anything a starter should do?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm early in Prey, at the GUTS, and I am getting really frustrated with how powerless I am in combat, especially since I barely have enough ammo ever. Any tips?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kalenden posted:

So thinking of playing Total War: Warhammer before the sequel comes out and is up to speed.

Look up a video that goes over the hotkeys for the combat mode. There's some niceities in there that weren't in the older Total Wars.
Clicking a spell once lets you cast it at normal power. Clicking it a second time lets you "overcast" it, making it more risky but amplifying what it does. Many spells are significantly more useful when overcast.
You're going to need some cheapy units in your armies even if they're statistically inferior to heavy units, if only to keep cost down. You can obviously use them as chaff to pin enemy units in place while you flank (or use them as arrow catchers).
Try to mostly specialize your generals. A couple points in the other trees is fine, but the stuff deep in the trees is pretty nice. Red tree is personal buffs, yellow tree is army buffs, blue tree is strategic map type stuff (movement bonuses, bonuses in the areas your army is in, etc). They've all got good stuff in them, and you probably want some generals of each type. Even the Blue tree can help you in battle, especially the skill Lightning Strike which makes it so if you're attacking an army and they have reinforcements in range, the reinforcements don't get to show up. Where as a general with the yellow tree will specialize in boosting the troops around him and debuffing enemies. The Red general will specialize in killin' mans (with occasionally some shorter range buffs/debuffs).

Oh, and your anti-large/anti-cav units tend to get their bonus against an enemy charge. Have them hold position, at which point they'll Brace, giving them their bonus against large/cav. It doesn't really ever explain that's how it works, so you'll end up trying to counter charge and then wondering why it didn't work as well as you thought.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

flatluigi posted:

I'm early in Prey, at the GUTS, and I am getting really frustrated with how powerless I am in combat, especially since I barely have enough ammo ever. Any tips?

What upgrades have you bought? Combat focus is cheap for how helpful it is in combat. By the time you're at the guts you should also have access to magical spells, which are extremely efficient at killing things and don't require you to aim - you get approximately one billion psi hypos over the course of the game, don't be shy about using them.

Other than that, make sure you're using the stun gun liberally - enemies take much more damage when stunned and they can't hurt you back. The stun gun is also extremely ammo-efficient when upgraded.

If you're having trouble with a specific type of enemy that shows up early in the GUTS, try chucking things at them. You don't need leverage to carry whatever you want in Zero-G.

One last thing: if you're having trouble keeping stocked on ammo, remember to recycle any excess of spare parts or suit kits that you have, and any extras of weapons that you find.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

flatluigi posted:

the GUTS was also where i felt like i was at the lowest point in my ammo slump so i feel you.

now, what worked for me was learning how to effectively use the recycler grenades. all that tiny poo poo that you can pick up? folders, globes, chairs, human bodies :unsmigghh: etc? just make a big fuckin funeral pyre in the middle of a room, stand a safe ways away, and chuck a recycler at 'em. probably turn in enough materials for 24 to as many as 36 shotgun shells. this is the only way to turn these objects into usable materials.

BE CAREFUL IF YOU GET GREEDY AND THINK YOU'RE GONNA CHEAT THE SYSTEM AND TOSS BIG THINGS LIKE MOVING PALETTES, LUGGAGE, AND OTHER HEAVY OBJECTS INTO YOUR SACRIFICE TO THE GODS OF GRAVITY. they're subject to physics interactions and often act as barriers between other objects and the center of the implosion, preventing other things from being recycled. the number of recycler charges i wasted trying to nuke a ton of these at once, and only managing to grab one lovely box, is in the double digits :(

stick to recycling very tiny things that have no leverage-rank requirements. pretend like there's a cheevo for recycling 100 rolodexes in a single charge.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kalenden posted:

The easiest races to start out with are Dwarves, Humans, and Vampire Counts in that order. Orks are strong, but due to their placement on the map they have to contend with the Dwarves, who are so heavily armored that they can usually just facetank you at base level. Chaos is very hard, it has the Horde mechanic tied to it and should be avoided til you get a good handle.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The White Dragon posted:

A) use steal on bosses, or anything that's a scripted encounter, really. put zidane on steal duty, and have everyone else just punch poo poo. if you get everything, great! if you don't, oh well. 99% of the items you can steal from bosses are just one or two dungeons removed from being able to buy them in shops.

Alternatively, besides stealing the Mage Masher from Masked Man, don't. nothing is steal-only, and most of the time it just gets you something from the town you're going to visit next, albeit a bit early and for free.

Instead, do Chocobo Hot and Cold extensively because it gets you almost every neat item and opens up the bonus superboss.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
well yeah that's basically what i'm saying, steal with zidane and punch mans with everyone else and if you miss things, no matter

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Got Toukiden Kiwami in the PSN sale - seems like a somewhat standard Monster Hunter-like with some new mechanics. Anything I should know about it?

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

flatluigi posted:

Prioritize weapon upgrades so that your ammo goes farther. That means more damage on whatever, and more ammo capacity if you choose to upgrade the stun gun or laser. Incapacitating enemies through various means makes them take more damage. Sneak attacks are worth more damage, especially when upgraded. Angling for all the damage you can get will let you easily one-shot basic phantoms with the shotgun.

Big ways to conserve ammo are knowing alternate strategies for dealing with your most numerous but weakest foes: mimics and cysts. Mimics you can safely wrench to death without a whole lot of trouble. A good strategy for cysts is hinted at in their scan data. They chase and suicide on any moving object, not just you. Toss some garbage or use the crossbow to trick them into detonating harmlessly. Failing that (it can be hard to pull off outside the station), a single pellet of GLOO will kill them.

If you haven't found ammo blueprints yet, take your next chance to go back to some old areas and go over them again with new abilities. You make a lot of ammo each fab.

Psychic powers stretch your combat resources a lot, especially considering you probably scooped up a few dozen PSI syringes before unlocking them, and a nearby scientific operator gives you essentially unlimited psy use.

If something's too tough for you to fight without expending your resources, avoid it instead.

Upgrading your carrying capacity can make it easier to pick up all the trash you find around the station, giving you more resources to fab with.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

I'm coming back to Stellaris after a year of not touching it, any tips? Paradox games get patched and rebalanced pretty frequently, is the advice on the wiki page still accurate?

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Contingency Plan posted:

I'm coming back to Stellaris after a year of not touching it, any tips? Paradox games get patched and rebalanced pretty frequently, is the advice on the wiki page still accurate?

I'm pretty sure these two tips are outdated. Specializing sectors into research/energy/minerals/food is why you want multiple and sector govs I'm quite sure get XP. As long as you have the minerals, upgrades are super quick even for big stacks.
- Upgrading large fleets takes much less time if you split them up and send them to separate spaceports to be upgraded.
- On sectors, there's not much benefit to having multiple. Put as many as you can into one mega-sector and give them a 5 star Governor. (Sector govs don't earn XP)

This is kinda wrong too, if you pick your settings right. Still not a bad idea to bootstrap a planet, but give them a pile of minerals and energy and they do alright.
- The AI is kinda bad at managing planets right now, for your sectors and for other empires. When you use sectors, you might want to build planets up before turning them over.

The sentiment is ok, but the numbers are off in this one. A 20 space planet is always worth it over a 9 space (actually 10 space is I believe the new minimum). Some strategic resources can be worth a bad settle just to grab, but mostly more space is more better. Frontier stations are better for just capturing space resources.
- When colonizing, consider what systems you'll get in your influence more so than the planet itself. For instance, a nine space planet that'll get you control of some nice systems with strategic resources or whatever is better than a twenty space planet that won't get you anything new.

Aside from that:

The new Traditions and Ascension perks that are tied to them means you should pick a shape for your end game kinda early. Do you want to be a master terraformer, upload your pops into robots, become psionic space wizards etc etc. Look them over at the start to get an idea.

War is still a question of having the biggest doomstack and smashing it into the others. Be careful not to get caught with a small navy, and build (upgraded) spaceports everywhere to increase your navy limit. Also mind that the cost of a navy goes up quite a bit, when it is not docked. I've lost wars because I couldn't afford to have my doomstack out and about hunting the enemy.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 25, 2017

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Without getting any spoilers what should I know before I play Dragon Age Inquisition for the first time? I recently found out it came out on PS3 and a physical copy is as much as a digital copy of the deluxe edition so I was gonna grab it since it feels like I'm just about finished in DA2.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I've got a few hours in already, but talk to me about Heat Signature?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

juliuspringle posted:

Without getting any spoilers what should I know before I play Dragon Age Inquisition for the first time? I recently found out it came out on PS3 and a physical copy is as much as a digital copy of the deluxe edition so I was gonna grab it since it feels like I'm just about finished in DA2.

- Leave the Hinterlands as soon as you have enough power to begin a main quest mission.
- The game offers a lot of open-world bloat, don't feel like you're obligated to do all or even most of it.
- You always want at least one tanky character (Blackwell, Cassandra) in your party and one mage with barriers at all times.
- You can set your party AI to prioritize certain spells over others and set their mana reserve to 0, meaning they will always use those spells on cooldown.
- Crafting in this game is super OP for the best possible weapons and gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

juliuspringle posted:

Unless you've already bought it or you are just dead set on buying it for PS3 I'm going to attempt to dissuade you from buying it on a last-gen console. I played it on the 360 and it ran terribly and looked worse. I understand that concessions needed to be made since it was probably developed for the XB1/PS4/PC first, but it really shouldn't have been allowed out the door. Gross texture/model pop-in, horrendous load times, spiky framerate. Horrible.