Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

il serpente cosmico posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't exchanges the only practical way to store and buy bitcoins?

Yes, you are very much entirely wrong about how this technology works. In fact what you are suggesting is the least safe way to store your crypto-trinkets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kw0134 posted:

Surely the leading crypto currency exchange has made such a contingency to make its creditors whole!

At least one wallet service has FDIC coverage for USD balances, and separate insurance for coins. I was surprised.

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1662379-how-is-coinbase-insured-

I think Coinbase is in fact the leading exchange at this point.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

At least one wallet service has FDIC coverage for USD balances, and separate insurance for coins. I was surprised.

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1662379-how-is-coinbase-insured-

I think Coinbase is in fact the leading exchange at this point.

Yeah, this surprised the hell out of me too.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Nail Rat posted:

Jesus if the car was worth about 6k and your client is cashing out what was 6k worth of bitcoins in 2012...

Yeah he just fast forwarded to richsville.

Makes me wish I'd bought like 50 buttcoins on a lark back then.

Makes the 50 bitcoins that I spent on chinese psychedelic research chemicals back in like 2008 seem like an even more questionable decision.

Possibly even... Bad With Bitcoin.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chadzok posted:

Makes the 50 bitcoins that I spent on chinese psychedelic research chemicals back in like 2008 seem like an even more questionable decision.

Possibly even... Bad With Bitcoin.

*record scratch

Chadzok posted:

"I bet you're wondering how I got to this point in the BWM thread. Well, friends.....it all starts in 2008."

*Pet Shop Boy's Opportunities starts playing

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Phanatic posted:

Actual banks don't have anywhere near the capability to fund withdrawals. That is what fractional-reserve banking means.

At the same time, banks have FDIC insurance to protect depositors. How common is it for bitcoin services to provide meaningful insurance?

Motronic posted:

Yes, you are very much entirely wrong about how this technology works. In fact what you are suggesting is the least safe way to store your crypto-trinkets.

Where does your average buttcoin owner keep his/her make-believe money? How do they exchange it for real money? How much real money can you get from your buttcoin collection per day?

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 21, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FDIC insurance doesn't cover anything but people's chequing or cash savings accounts. Their equities in retirement funds aren't insured at all, even if held with a FDIC member institution.

What Coinbase provides is pretty much equivalent if not better (coin holdings are insured as well), and there's no reason not to use them that I've heard.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Storing your bitcoins on an exchange instead of in a wallet file on your computer(which is also quesionably secure but for different and more controllable reasons since it's on your own computer) is the least safe way since exchanges inevitably end up folding, then taking everyone's stored funny money tokens with them. Or taking everyone's coins and then folding. The order doesn't matter much.

That doesn't mean the average butter is smart enough to keep their coins out of the exchanges, but that's part of why exchanges going down destabilizes the value so much.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No, the safest place is with an insured wallet service.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Good lord, if you've all got hardons for buttcoin then there's a perfectly fine gibbis thread you can all circlejerk in.

Touching buttcoin is inherently BWM and anyone saying "gee I wish I'd bought some/gee I guess I should buy some" automatically qualifies for being posted in this thread but from the looks of it that would spawn pages and pages of no-content, so can Leon Trotsky just find another rich vein to tap or someone post about beanie babies or something?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

kw0134 posted:

However, a bank is typically not in fact insolvent and there are rules for winding down a bank in a non catastrophic way that ensures depositors are made whole, below a certain amount per account. Bank runs don't really happen in life any more.

This is false, any bank failure of any significant size would immediately make the FDIC insolvent and require an act of congress (lol) to make depositors whole.

Bitcoin is still horseshit, but your deposit guarantee is near meaningless as well. Fortunately nobody knows that and there's not really a better option for safe liquid cash so... :shrug:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKOasFe_E6w

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Using my own story as a lived example, once I realised how much my ancient drug habit was worth (to a huge bunch of morons) I scoured all my old email addresses for any evidence that could connect the dots to leftover funds. Pretty sure it was in an account with MtGox, maybe some in Silk Road, which both either stole it all or were raided by the feds. I think there was some sort of lawsuit to recover funds from MtGox but I missed the boat on that one too.

If I had stored it in an offline wallet or a piece of paper or some crap I'd probably be posting in /bitcoin instead of here. or crying in Solice Kirsk's office.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 21, 2017

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
For some reason everyone does it for bitcoin but nobody looks at a Morningstar annual performance chart and says, "drat, wish I'd bought [any S&P 500 fund or stock] 9 years ago."

Hell I could look at NVidia 1-2 years ago, which cratered hugely and then had like a 200% performance increase in one year, and say the same thing. Kicking yourself for not having perfect futurevision on extremely risky investments is a waste of time.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

cumshitter posted:

Kicking yourself for not having perfect futurevision on extremely risky investments is a waste of time.

I read an article some time ago about what would happen if you had perfect fore(hind?) sight and could invest in the best performing stock daily. The result was absurd. It was also in stocks you would almost never buy.

Suffice it to say, kicking yourself for not being able to predict the future is stupid.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I predict three more pages of bitcoin talk.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Subjunctive posted:

FDIC insurance doesn't cover anything but people's chequing or cash savings accounts. Their equities in retirement funds aren't insured at all, even if held with a FDIC member institution.

What Coinbase provides is pretty much equivalent if not better (coin holdings are insured as well), and there's no reason not to use them that I've heard.

There is a similar insurance for securities called SIPC, which all brokers in the US are required to have. It covers investors if the brokerage is insolvent or the securities themselves are stolen or fraudulently traded (but not market losses). The Coinbase insurance is I Can't Believe It's Not SIPC.

cumshitter posted:

Kicking yourself for not having perfect futurevision on extremely risky investments is a waste of time.

It's also a massive red flag for gambling addiction!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Space Gopher posted:

There is a similar insurance for securities called SIPC, which all brokers in the US are required to have. It covers investors if the brokerage is insolvent or the securities themselves are stolen or fraudulently traded (but not market losses). The Coinbase insurance is I Can't Believe It's Not SIPC.

Cool, thanks! I wonder what the limits are.

Also: buy my Marty McFly Volatility Index ETF. Past results are in fact exactly predictive of future performance.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Pryor on Fire posted:

This is false, any bank failure of any significant size would immediately make the FDIC insolvent and require an act of congress (lol) to make depositors whole.

Bitcoin is still horseshit, but your deposit guarantee is near meaningless as well. Fortunately nobody knows that and there's not really a better option for safe liquid cash so... :shrug:
Yes, and that's why all those banks that died during the Great Recession caused trillions in depositor losses and...no wait, that didn't happen, because the FDIC guarantees weren't tested since solvent banks brought the assets when regulators wiped out the equity holders and pushed the liabilities that were insured into functional institutions. Banking stability is more than the insurance fund, it's an interlocking series of organizations and regulations that can say "no, we're not going to let these guys implode." And, yeah, Lehman blowing up like the way it did was a massive mistake, one that wasn't repeated during the crisis, when failing institutions were matched to buyers or entirely taken over.

Contrast this to say, Bitfinex, which decided to give everyone who held an account a 30% haircut when their bitcoin wallet was breached ("breached"). They were also allegedly insured. Where was that insurance? gently caress you, that's why.

The reason you don't hear about stuff like SIPC is because your losses in the the market are entirely your own; the value of a security goes down, companies go bankrupt., etc. You didn't lose your 401k because Bob from accounting let his password be Default123 and let all your index funds be irrecoverably transferred to an account in Djibouti. Such occurrences seem to happen with hilarious regularity in cryptocurrency land, and that doesn't even get into trading losses because it's volatile to the point of insanity.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

kw0134 posted:

Yes, and that's why all those banks that died during the Great Recession caused trillions in depositor losses and...no wait, that didn't happen, because the FDIC guarantees weren't tested since solvent banks brought the assets when regulators wiped out the equity holders and pushed the liabilities that were insured into functional institutions. Banking stability is more than the insurance fund, it's an interlocking series of organizations and regulations that can say "no, we're not going to let these guys implode." And, yeah, Lehman blowing up like the way it did was a massive mistake, one that wasn't repeated during the crisis, when failing institutions were matched to buyers or entirely taken over.

Contrast this to say, Bitfinex, which decided to give everyone who held an account a 30% haircut when their bitcoin wallet was breached ("breached"). They were also allegedly insured. Where was that insurance? gently caress you, that's why.

The reason you don't hear about stuff like SIPC is because your losses in the the market are entirely your own; the value of a security goes down, companies go bankrupt., etc. You didn't lose your 401k because Bob from accounting let his password be Default123 and let all your index funds be irrecoverably transferred to an account in Djibouti. Such occurrences seem to happen with hilarious regularity in cryptocurrency land, and that doesn't even get into trading losses because it's volatile to the point of insanity.

Yeah, but wasn't the FDIC fund pretty much exhausted? Obviously the government can and did ensure it remained solvent and even doubled the insured totals to calm any jitters. But it wasn't quiet as simple as arranging sales of failed banks to healthy ones. Smaller banks didn't have enough assets to cover the losses. I think my state was ground zero for failed banks, so I know we were draining that FDIC account.

People always talk about Lehman, but no one remembers Bear Stearns. I worked as a bank teller in an office building during the go-go 90's and holy poo poo the checks the Bear Stearns brokers brought down. During tax season they'd bring down their refund checks and that was how I learned that if the government owes you enough money, they pay you interest on top of your refund.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, but wasn't the FDIC fund pretty much exhausted? Obviously the government can and did ensure it remained solvent and even doubled the insured totals to calm any jitters. But it wasn't quiet as simple as arranging sales of failed banks to healthy ones. Smaller banks didn't have enough assets to cover the losses. I think my state was ground zero for failed banks, so I know we were draining that FDIC account.

People always talk about Lehman, but no one remembers Bear Stearns. I worked as a bank teller in an office building during the go-go 90's and holy poo poo the checks the Bear Stearns brokers brought down. During tax season they'd bring down their refund checks and that was how I learned that if the government owes you enough money, they pay you interest on top of your refund.

All banks pay premiums into the FDIC fund and yes it was drawn down quite a lot. Maybe to around 20 - 25% of its peak. Still nothing compared to the guarantees offered to Fanny and Freddie, and it wasn't *that* close to running out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Also: buy my Marty McFly Volatility Index ETF. Past results are in fact exactly predictive of future performance.

edit:

Worded that poorly, upto $500k in securities and cash with a $250k limit on cash.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 22, 2017

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

totalnewbie posted:

I read an article some time ago about what would happen if you had perfect fore(hind?) sight and could invest in the best performing stock daily. The result was absurd. It was also in stocks you would almost never buy.

Suffice it to say, kicking yourself for not being able to predict the future is stupid.

http://investorfieldguide.com/201484the-perfect-portfolio/ is the one I found while looking for this article you mentioned

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

totalnewbie posted:

They had a documentary about it called Early Edition.

Basically, the SEC assumes it's insider trading. You can't really take advantage of it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They had a documentary about it called Early Edition.

Basically, the SEC assumes it's insider trading. You can't really take advantage of it.

Yeah but assuming you were actually just psychic, I would be interested to see how the SEC could prove that you had insider information on all the random companies you'd end up buying/selling EACH DAY. Completely irrelevant point, though.

Found the article I was thinking of: https://qz.com/583202/you-could-have-turned-1000-into-trillions-by-perfectly-trading-the-sp-500-in-2015/

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

totalnewbie posted:

Yeah but assuming you were actually just psychic, I would be interested to see how the SEC could prove that you had insider information on all the random companies you'd end up buying/selling EACH DAY. Completely irrelevant point, though.

Found the article I was thinking of: https://qz.com/583202/you-could-have-turned-1000-into-trillions-by-perfectly-trading-the-sp-500-in-2015/

It's called probabilistic prosecution

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

this makes me wonder how often statistically overperformers are tracked. It would be simplistic in the extreme for an investment company to do a search and find the top dozen best "guessers". Once you filter out all the politicians who are legally allowed to insider trade, you might see some interesting things!

Time travel as discovered by investment firms when they try and earn a bunch of money fast.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Bhodi posted:

this makes me wonder how often statistically overperformers are tracked. It would be simplistic in the extreme for an investment company to do a search and find the top dozen best "guessers". Once you filter out all the politicians who are legally allowed to insider trade, you might see some interesting things!

Time travel as discovered by investment firms when they try and earn a bunch of money fast.

This is still assuming past performance implies future ones without any solid backing to base that assumption on.

Like you can easily find the person who's had the best luck with the lottery so far, but that's not indicative they'll continue that streak.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

totalnewbie posted:

The Early Edition basically was the equivalent of psychic. They still arrested Chuck after just one trade.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

il serpente cosmico posted:

Where does your average buttcoin owner keep his/her make-believe money? How do they exchange it for real money? How much real money can you get from your buttcoin collection per day?

I was not speaking to cashing it out.......you're on your own there and other posters have spoke about it.

But the way it works is you can make a "wallet" to send pretend money to. If you do it the right way it's not currently subject to many of the concerns happening with keeping it in a wallet on an exchange. This is a fundamental part of the technology that actually works. Exchanges came way later in fact.

Using it as real money......yeah, not so much. But I did make a point of understanding how it works several years ago when it became popular.

And this:

Subjunctive posted:

This I did not know about, because I don't care about it anymore. It's interesting, but at the same time I'm very suspicious that it will pay out in a mass breach.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Barry posted:

Anyone have a link to the Blockchain book? Sounds interesting.

And while I'm asking for links of things I could probably just google myself, does anyone have a link to how much energy bitcoin is consuming? I know it's staggering but I can't seem to find out how much.

https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/book/

Slightly less power than North Korea. Somewhere between Turkmenistan and Zambia the last I heard.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

buttcoin is boring, thread needs to stick to its roots

https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/forum/discussion-forums/off-course/9875675-balancing-the-horse-budget

throwingawaymy$$$ posted:

Hi everyone, so I'm wrestling with some financial issues related to my horse, and would love some input from other (read: older and wiser) people who still understand my passion and goals for my hobby.

Just to start, I am overall very lucky - I'm a rider in my mid-twenties and was able to purchase a very nice horse two years ago, who is talented enough to reach the top levels of my chosen discipline. However, I felt stressed by living paycheck to paycheck. I pay off my credit card balance every month, but money is tight, and the biggest expense (by far) is my horse.

I spend about 50% of my net pay on my horse, the biggest expense being his full training program. This is a relatively new change for me, as I moved across the county about six months ago. Before that, I used to take a lesson once a week, had my trainer hop on about once a month just to check in on my horse's progress, and I really enjoyed being able to ride 4-5x a week on my own and bringing back my thoughts and challenges to my trainer. Now, I take 3 lessons a week, ride once a week on my own, and he's ridden twice by the trainer. I really like her feedback and felt like I've good progress with my new trainer, but it's a very different feeling. Although, it is good because we're riding at a higher level than I have before on other horses, so I do need the help.

The obvious decision would be to take him out of full training, but I am likely to start traveling about 50% of the time for my job in a few months. With that will come a pay raise, also giving my budget some more breathing room. In addition, this trainer does not have any horses in half training, and she is the only person in the area who has the experience to develop my horse (I've looked for other trainers and been unimpressed), and has turnout/management philosophies that work well for my horse.

So I'm not really sure what to do, especially with the pay raise/travel coming up. I also will have my car loan paid off in three months, which will free up a significant amount of money as well. But still, the full training program is a huge amount of money for me.

I know this trainer allows students to trailer in for lessons, but I don't have a truck/trailer (and that wouldn't make financial sense either). Do I politely ask to renegotiate on the training program? Do I look for a more affordable barn/trainer (I've looked online and haven't found one). Or do I hold tight for a few months, since my financial situation will be better soon?

It's hard, because, well, at some point I need to start saving money for other expenses (mortgage, wedding, etc) as well as long-term savings (401k, retirement).

She's struggling to pay for her horse's training, but she's about to start traveling for her job so the horse "needs" to be in full training then because she won't be able to ride him as often, but since the job will pay more it'll balance out!

One more for good measure
https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/forum/off-topic/off-topic-aa/9838031-help-with-drafting-a-budget-saving-money-long-term

halt posted:

I could use the COTH mind to help me form a viable, doable budget.. I make more than TWICE minimum wage and I still can't afford to put away a decent amount of money and it is making me so anxious.

Since I moved to be closer to my job I've had the hardest time saving money. I've always been really good with money to the point I'd have a few k floating around, but that was also when my expenses were minimal and I was not paying $$$ rent. I actually had a good portion padded for medical expenses but had that wiped clean when both SO and my horse had two separate but same-timed medical expenses. It's really depressing how rapidly your savings can go..

I don't have credit cards, other than my phone bill all of the things I own are paid off.. Rent includes utilities, etc.

For the sake of transparency I've included how much I make a month which I know can be personal. I'm having a really hard time writing down a budget that works and I also don't know what I'm doing. By nature I am not a shopper or impulsive person and I think I might shop for work outfits 2x a year. What I am bad at is coffee; I do like my Starbucks. I have cut out daily coffee visits but I do get coffee on the weekends.

After taxes are taken out of my wage and health insurance, benefits and pension, I make $3292.20 a month.

I've broken down my expenses per month:

Car Insurance: $122.17
Gas: $190
Rent+utilities: $1875
Grocery Food: $200
Coffee/Snacks/Lunch: $60
Farrier: $140
Grain: $241.62
Hay: $120

Cell: $40

That leaves me a whopping $303.41 a month...

Because I make significantly more than my partner, how much I pay for rent fluctuates. Partner did not want to go half and half (thought it would be unfair to me), but I usually end up paying about $1200/mo for rent and partner covers the rest. What type of fixed percentage for rent is fair? Partner only makes $14/hr.. If we go half (which some months we can) it's more like $1043.41 a month.

Currently I have my account[s] split in two: $200 a week goes to my horse/gas/car card account and 400 a week goes to the rent card. I am not even touching the rent card and even then I can barely make enough to pay off rent a month.

What type of realistic budget should I be devising? How much should I be realistically putting aside in a savings?

Show me what I'm doing wrong, COTH!
HMM I DON'T KNOW WHAT COULD IT BE

Horse dril later explains herself

quote:

As far as the grain goes, it sounds astounding but it's split between a few other horses as well. It is hay stretcher and a high quality ration balancer, and it's about $41~ every five to six days, some weeks it is less because we feed less ration balancer than hay. He gets about 2qts hay stretcher and 2qts ration balancer AM/PM. The hay is split as well, but I get round bales which significantly cuts my costs. My horse could not eat an entire round bale himself before it went bad anyway. I could not afford a horse if I had to board. I've already whittled my riding expenses down to the bare minimum to be able to afford the horse. I've gone back and forth with my SO about selling him but my partner always dissuades me and reminds me how important horses are in my life.. but they're so drat expensive. Ugh.

The working student thing I am not sure I could do, I am not a young adult anymore. I do have a few people who would let me ride their horse but I admit my horse and my barn time are my therapy (lol!).

Something does have to give, the rent, the horse, or food.. and I kind of need food..
That thing about "whittling down my riding expenses" is a lie - this is a pleasure horse (she can't afford to show) so farrier bills should be no more than $40-$60 every 4-6 weeks and grain should be close to zero because the horse is only in light work. If the horse is being fed round bales there is no need for "hay stretcher" (which is intended for horses in places like California where long-stem hay is hard to get) and unless it's a draft horse that is an awful lot of ration balancer. Even by horse lady standards she is BWM.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
The horse is bad, but I'm a bit more concerned about rent/utilities eating up more than 50% of her take home.

Either move somewhere a bit cheaper, or come up with set amounts to pay each month.

blackmet fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 22, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Having three animals think of ants and die would be the biggest windfall for these people.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Panfilo posted:

Having three animals think of ants and die would be the biggest windfall for these people.

Four words: premium horse funeral service.

Do it, capitalism. I dare you.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

blackmet posted:

The horse is bad, but I'm a bit more concerned about rent/utilities eating up more than 50% of her take home.

Either move somewhere a bit cheaper, or come up with set amounts to pay each month.

Oh for sure, but I like the fact that she thinks owning a horse is non-negotiable because it's her ~therapy~. And that she didn't include inevitable horsey medical bills (horses seem to aim for getting injured in the most expensive way possible), annual vet/horse dentist visits, regular deworming, tack replacement, grooming supplies, etc etc etc. which add up really fast. Take the horse out of the equation and make boyfriend pay part of the rent and the budget problem is solved.

Also lol that she thinks she was Good With Money because she had a few thousand dollars in her bank account.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Breetai posted:

Four words: premium horse funeral service.

Do it, capitalism. I dare you.

Oh, horse burial expenses (and even the cost just to remove the body from the premises) are already "premium" as it is. Consider how big a hole you have to dig. The only cheap way to deal with a dead horse is to send it to a rendering plant (aka "glue factory").

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
That's why you invest in horse life insurance!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Panfilo posted:

That's why you invest in horse life insurance!

Wonder what kinds of riders they offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Youth Decay posted:

She's struggling to pay for her horse's training, but she's about to start traveling for her job so the horse "needs" to be in full training then because she won't be able to ride him as often, but since the job will pay more it'll balance out!

No defense of the human intended but don't horses need exercise every day?

Youth Decay posted:

Also lol that she thinks she was Good With Money because she had a few thousand dollars in her bank account.

Depressingly that probably puts her well above average in savings nationally. Most of those people behind her aren't even BWM, it's just rough out there.