Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/20/business/equifax-fake-website.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

Sorry for phone posting. Equifax themselves have been linking customers to a fake site for information about the hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

fridge corn posted:

The ridiculous prevalence of superhero films these days is proof that Hollywood is just idling on fumes waiting for someone to come round with a fresh idea

Paul Rudd is my spirit animal, but Ant Man was a pile of poo poo.

I havent seen the last 8 or 9 avengers ca im thor whatever movies and im okay with that.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Adiabatic posted:

Back it up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

I havent seen the last 8 or 9 avengers ca im thor whatever movies and im okay with that.

Deadpool is my favorite Marvel movie.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I have definitely enjoyed the super hero movies and I am likely dead center in the middle of their demographic reach. I think they are so much better visually as well as thematically than attempts from the past that they will hold up for many years over. Ant-Man was meh overall. Hollywood is out of a lot of fresh ideas though unless we can get like 20 more Christopher Nolans to pop up I expect a lot of (quality) reheated stories.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Bladerunner 2049 has me hard as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZOLKwSsFik

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

CommieGIR posted:

Deadpool is my favorite Marvel movie.
You have to be the most boring, unfun person alive for this to not be the case.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

slidebite posted:

Blade imo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
1989 Batman

Edit: lotta poo poo on fire in town today.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 21, 2017

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Cage posted:

Blade imo.

Blade Trinity is by far the best of the series.

And by best, I mean one of the worst action movies ever and I love it so much for that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ephphatha posted:

If you're watching the raid you might as well add Ong Bak and The Protector (Warrior King) to the list.

Banlieue 13

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

slidebite posted:

Hello. That film was a dumpster fire of bad obvious writing

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Until the medium changes in a huge way or until some new near-future tech comes out everything is going to be boring

I was never a comic book fan because it takes too drat long for the story to play out, so I'm ok with Hollywood converting every last comic to a movie and I hope they get to work on some books too

I would see a Dune remake in theatres at least four times and Bladerunner 2049 has me hard as gently caress

An actual good Dune film would be immense

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

fridge corn posted:

Thanks for proving my point.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

Thanks for proving my point.

huurrr duurr blurrrr

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

fridge corn posted:

huurrr duurr blurrrr

fridge corn posted:

a dumpster fire of bad obvious writing

Synergy in this thread.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Please don't read ignored user's posts. As it should be for everybody.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Please don't read ignored user's posts. As it should be for everybody.

:agreed:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Look at all these snowflakes who need to ignore people's posts :smug:

(I've actually ignored a few users over my time on SA...turns out they've all been permabanned long ago)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, let's briefly revisit generator chat.

Which way would you go assuming both cost the same:

2100W inverter quiet generator (like the kind you would see in a campground or something) OR 3500W standard, non inverter but with a regulator (the kind mounted with the big cube frame)?

Assuming the 2100W is big enough for your needs of course.

I'm leaning towards the 2100W, since it's just for emergency/rare use, probably safer for electronics and physically much smaller/quieter, but haven't made the plunge yet.

e: Also, both the same brand which seem OK by reviews (Firman)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Use code BUDLYFT17 for two free Lyft rides this weekend after 5pm

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

slidebite posted:

So, let's briefly revisit generator chat.

Which way would you go assuming both cost the same:

2100W inverter quiet generator (like the kind you would see in a campground or something) OR 3500W standard, non inverter but with a regulator (the kind mounted with the big cube frame)?

Assuming the 2100W is big enough for your needs of course.

I'm leaning towards the 2100W, since it's just for emergency/rare use, probably safer for electronics and physically much smaller/quieter, but haven't made the plunge yet.

e: Also, both the same brand which seem OK by reviews (Firman)

Firman's OK. We tested that 3500W open frame one at work - as I recall, the engine is kind of understressed in that if you pull full load the electronics are limiting it and the engine's not hitting WOT. Probably a deliberate design decision. We broke it in testing but we were doing some weird things that average owners wouldn't. Have not tested Firman's 2100 watt inverter.

Any of the non-inverter ones are going to vary the frequency a bit with load - the spec they have to meet is somewhere between 63 and 57hz. They're pretty duh-simple though and as you noticed you get a bit more power per dollar. The industrial type guys who use them all the time gravitate towards the open frame ones because they cool better at full load - most of the RV type people gravitate towards the plastic cased ones because they're quieter. If you're not going to be hammering the thing at full load in 100+ degree weather a lot, I do like the plasticey inverters personally.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Movie chat:

Isle of Dogs 😍😍😍

https://youtu.be/dt__kig8PVU

New Wes Anderson looks AMAZING. I am super pumped for this

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
[quote="“mekilljoydammit”" post="“476626139”"]
Firman’s OK. We tested that 3500W open frame one at work - as I recall, the engine is kind of understressed in that if you pull full load the electronics are limiting it and the engine’s not hitting WOT. Probably a deliberate design decision. We broke it in testing but we were doing some weird things that average owners wouldn’t. Have not tested Firman’s 2100 watt inverter.

Any of the non-inverter ones are going to vary the frequency a bit with load - the spec they have to meet is somewhere between 63 and 57hz. They’re pretty duh-simple though and as you noticed you get a bit more power per dollar. The industrial type guys who use them all the time gravitate towards the open frame ones because they cool better at full load - most of the RV type people gravitate towards the plastic cased ones because they’re quieter. If you’re not going to be hammering the thing at full load in 100+ degree weather a lot, I do like the plasticey inverters personally.
[/quote]

So is the "cleaner" sine wave thing really an issue with inverter vs non inverter? That seems to be a huge marketing point.

Personally I would get an open frame with higher wattage assuming its just for backup. From whatever brand you can reliably source parts from.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

mariooncrack posted:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/20/business/equifax-fake-website.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

Sorry for phone posting. Equifax themselves have been linking customers to a fake site for information about the hack.

I had similar thoughts to the creator of the fake site, that Equifax' own site was incredibly fake sounding, and initially didn't believe it was the rear thing until I went to Equifax' home page first. I was astounded that they didn't use a subdomain. They really haven't a clue what they're doing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Also, San Diego is really nice @ mid 60s to low 70s (degrees F) compared to the mid 90s at home (Texas) right now.
Conference is OK. Going on a team building cruise and dinner on the bay this afternoon/evening, and I think I should have brought a jacket.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

rdb posted:

So is the "cleaner" sine wave thing really an issue with inverter vs non inverter? That seems to be a huge marketing point.

Personally I would get an open frame with higher wattage assuming its just for backup. From whatever brand you can reliably source parts from.

Really depends what you're doing? I'm not a EE but what I'm seeing mentioned is that there's often not a lot of shielding on stuff like computer power supplies so it can mess things up... on the other hand, stuff like motors (including refrigerators and air conditioners) and resistive loads like stoves or lights really won't give a poo poo. Home standby generators are pretty much all not inverters.

*edit* Cool thing with inverters is that you can usually really sock the things with short duration peak loads as long as you don't pop breakers. We have a test where we're starting a motor with an inverter and on some we're seeing peak amperage something like 2-3x the rated output briefly and the thing just takes it. The industry doesn't know how to rate that, but I'm sure everyone's marketing guys are on it. ;)

If you're clever, there's only like 3 alternator manufacturers and all the engines are Chinese Honda clones nowadays anyway... so spares are kinda easy.

mekilljoydammit fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 21, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

"Surprise, we'll all go out for a meal tonight" says our visit organiser. Bugger, thinks cakesmith. Of course my favorite translator sits beside me so I made the most of it, managed to have a lovely chat and get her taking about herself, living in St Petersburg, her experiences, life etc. I stay involved in the general conversation as well, make everyone laugh talking about the British car industry etc, it's all going great.
Comes time to leave and she's right on my arm, asks if we're going for another drink? Nah, I've got to pack as we're off straight from work tomorrow.

"Oh, so a coffee?"

So I'm sweating away here and bless her the only other woman in the group comes to my rescue and drags her off, yes she'll have a coffee, girly chat etc we all set off back to the hotel. I end up in the lift with the pair of them and I can see this other woman is silently laughing at my obvious awkwardness as the translator has more than once "accidentally" leant on me. Luckily both these women are on the same floor, not mine.

I know this sounds like mediocre STDH but honestly I'm neither smooth not confident and it's funny as hell to me after the fact.

Oh also the two Russians she's translator for were making obviously lewd gestures at us the whole night, thanks for the moral support there fellas.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

slothrop posted:

Movie chat:

Isle of Dogs 😍😍😍

https://youtu.be/dt__kig8PVU

New Wes Anderson looks AMAZING. I am super pumped for this

Sign me up!

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

rdb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzmfsU06qN8

I run a pure sine wave UPS for my computer because the power supply on the computer is even more expensive than the UPS. At 4 minutes into the video he demonstrates the difference in consumed wattage between modified and pure sine wave.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fridge corn posted:

The ridiculous prevalence of superhero films these days is proof that Hollywood is just idling on fumes waiting for someone to come round with a fresh idea

The issue is that everyone saw Marvel make more money than God and wanted a piece of that with whatever lovely EU idea they could come up with, without understanding how Marvel got to that point. Hollywood has always been utterly berifit of ideas and risk adverse - right now Marvel are the closest thing to a sure bet for making a movie that makes money. The reason why Nolan gets a huge tub of money to play with is he is also about as close to a surefire bet as any director could be - along with Speilberg his movies make bank and believe it that he wouldnt have gotten to the blank cheque status without The Dark Knight massive success. Whiiiiich also just happns to be arguably the best comic book movie of them all.

James Cameron isnt a sure thing but he's had two movies that have made sooooo much goddamn coin no one cares what he does now.

Now while I said Marvel were the closest thing to a sure bet in Hollywood, there is one way better and moreover has been proven that it cant fail - Star Wars.

If new ideas make money 9 times out of 10, Hollywood would be all over that poo poo. But given how expensive movies can be, risk taking isnt a good idea, least you wipe out the studio. Which has happened more than a few times, a lot of the studio names have been bought over and over again as the owners go bankrupt and have to sell off. Hell, even Disney now and then have been on shakey ground.

fridge corn posted:

gently caress off

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Deadpool is fun and hilarious but it's ugly as poo poo. It's one of the worst looking films of the genre.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Girls hit on me all the time when I was in my first round of college. Then I got married.

In 10 years of marriage I never once got hit on, even when I went back to college as an older, career minded married dude.

The ring got me nothing. I threw the loving thing into the ocean when I was done with it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

im sorry i "just don't get" deadpool

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fridge corn posted:

Don't sweat it, it's not for everyone.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

LloydDobler posted:

Girls hit on me all the time when I was in my first round of college. Then I got married.

In 10 years of marriage I never once got hit on, even when I went back to college as an older, career minded married dude.

The ring got me nothing. I threw the loving thing into the ocean when I was done with it.

So something like this happened to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Of8Av0nBA

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

fridge corn posted:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wham!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

Don't sweat it, it's not for everyone.

I didn't like Deadpool either. I loved The Office UK and won't even give the US version a chance so it's possible I just don't get comedy.

In my presumably ignore-list worthy terrible and exclusive opinion, the only good superhero movie ever made was "The Toxic Avenger".

• Locked thread