Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Just an update on me:

I was able to get my car to the shop but that still leaves me a few hundred short on paying for my room while I wait. They told me I could get back on the road by Friday.

Thanks goons for the help so far and anyone else who can chip in would be appreciated. I won't forget this kindness and once I am on my feet again you know you can ask me for anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Just an update on me:

I was able to get my car to the shop but that still leaves me a few hundred short on paying for my room while I wait. They told me I could get back on the road by Friday.

Thanks goons for the help so far and anyone else who can chip in would be appreciated. I won't forget this kindness and once I am on my feet again you know you can ask me for anything

Yeah, and getting you out of a hotel into an actual place would save money in the long run, right? If you don't mind me asking, how much is that? Awesome to hear your car is in the shop though.

And as far as I'm concerned, when you're able to, pay it forward and tell me how. Probably the best thing I can buy with that money is a bit of liquidity going around helping people get on their feet when they need it.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

poo poo getting out of the hotel will run me about 1500. I can actually start saving up when I am working again. My goal is to be out by the end of October.

A good friend of mind from the restaurant business committed suicide in July. One of the things I will be doing next year when I am on my feet is starting a scholarship fund for at risk kids who want to go to culinary school. He was one of those guys who looked out for everyone else in the world and I can't think of a better way to honor him.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Condiv posted:

the main character's design kinda reminds me of loran cehack

not that that's a bad thing cause i love loran cehack, he's the best gundam protag

I love Turn A Gundam and I always loved the apocryphal information that Tomino wanted Loran to be a brown/black woman protagonist (something I found interesting since a brown/black lady character was one of the few survivors from his kill-happy phase during Victory Gundam) but Sunrise told him no. What did he do? He made Loran cross-dressing as "Laura Rolla" a major plot point in the series. It's not treated as gay panicky or anything; dude just looks really good as a woman and is comfortable with it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fluffdaddy posted:

poo poo getting out of the hotel will run me about 1500. I can actually start saving up when I am working again. My goal is to be out by the end of October.

A good friend of mind from the restaurant business committed suicide in July. One of the things I will be doing next year when I am on my feet is starting a scholarship fund for at risk kids who want to go to culinary school. He was one of those guys who looked out for everyone else in the world and I can't think of a better way to honor him.

thats a really good idea, good luck on everything. you have a goal and the drive to do it, so you probably don't even need the luck tho

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

eonwe posted:

thats a really good idea, good luck on everything. you have a goal and the drive to do it, so you probably don't even need the luck tho

Luck is something I haven't had in 2017. I have only been sustained by the kindness of strangers. I just got to have a few things fall in my favor and I will survive.

I want to be able to help people like they've helped me. Living in this hotel has shown me how easy it would be to be homeless and has shown me that all it takes is one bad break for it to happen to anyone. On top of the daily racism I experience in the south, economic bullshit can really weigh you down.

Kendrick said we are going to be alright and that's the attitude I have to wake up with every morning.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Kendrick said we are going to be alright and that's the attitude I have to wake up with every morning.

I don't believe in taking chances. :v:

We are going to be alright, but we've got to take on the world as us rather than as individual people. Too much room for too many things to go wrong for one person to handle.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

xthetenth posted:

I don't believe in taking chances. :v:

We are going to be alright, but we've got to take on the world as us rather than as individual people. Too much room for too many things to go wrong for one person to handle.

No doubt. Rugged individualism is one of those things that has leaked from mainstream white American culture into POC in the US.

Almost every other culture around the world is built around family or community taking care of one another. From multiple generations living in the same home in Japan to African villages. Somehow we lost that here and it's a loving shame.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Fluffdaddy posted:

No doubt. Rugged individualism is one of those things that has leaked from mainstream white American culture into POC in the US.

Almost every other culture around the world is built around family or community taking care of one another. From multiple generations living in the same home in Japan to African villages. Somehow we lost that here and it's a loving shame.

Post war boom probably gave a generation or two of white people the illusion that growing up in an economy where jobs and buying power were good meant a privileged white person has to actively go out of their way to screw up. Take that attitude and project it into the present day and the same people are unable to see challenges some people face that they themselves never had to deal with.

When it is easy to get a sustainable job and your dollars go a long way, it's easier to not need to rely on others. But this seems to be the exception, not the rule in the grand scheme of things. My in laws, who are Latino, are very family oriented and it is the reason they are so successful. It wasn't just one of them bootstrapping an immigrant life in the US, it was their entire family and community looking out for each other.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Yea my dad is a strange case. He grew up in a two bedroom shack with 8 siblings while his dad was a sharecropper. He was one of the first high school classes that got integrated in Alabama.

So of course he is extremely angry about white supremacy and knows how much harder that we have to work to get the same level of success as our white counterparts, but he is still extremely critical of social services and thinks just working harder will overcome a lot of our ills.

That rugged individualism runs so deep in older black folks and it makes it hard for them to get what our generation is going through even if you show them the numbers.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fluffdaddy posted:

Living in this hotel has shown me how easy it would be to be homeless

yeah, my dad put me in that situation two separate times. I basically lived in the unfinished shell of the house they had been working on already the first time, and then I just managed to find someone to let me pay a tiny amount of rent and sleep on their couch for a few months the second time. Its not a good feeling I know, but I'm glad you are getting some help and going in the right direction

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Panfilo posted:

Post war boom probably gave a generation or two of white people the illusion that growing up in an economy where jobs and buying power were good meant a privileged white person has to actively go out of their way to screw up. Take that attitude and project it into the present day and the same people are unable to see challenges some people face that they themselves never had to deal with.

When it is easy to get a sustainable job and your dollars go a long way, it's easier to not need to rely on others. But this seems to be the exception, not the rule in the grand scheme of things. My in laws, who are Latino, are very family oriented and it is the reason they are so successful. It wasn't just one of them bootstrapping an immigrant life in the US, it was their entire family and community looking out for each other.

I like this view. It's hard to watch other countries get poo poo on because they're seen as backwards for staying a tight knit family unit with friends as well working very close together. Whereas here if you're close it's seen as a sad backwards crutch. In this area we farm and every single person is close with family and the neighboring farms all help each other all year. Move out of this area though and the view is that of backward hicks who can't exist in the "civilized" world.

I assume that this is part of the same treatment of poc, because it's a very tight knit group and so is looked down on by the "haves" for stupid selfish reasons. I hate assuming, but it's all I can do. I'd love to hear about this in relation to other parts of society.

Having the support of family, no matter if they're blood or not, is such a boon in so many situations. A guy I grew up with since preschool as well as a few others are uncles to my kids, and I'd not have it any other way, we all would give anything to help each other.

I'd love to hear about these issues in different areas. I've only experienced two or three different areas but they were similar and I'd like to be less ignorant of others.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Not that we need to go into a lot of detail on it Negrotown, but "why are so many millennials moving back in with their parents !?!"

Maybe having your own house for you, your spouse and 2.5 kids was just a cultural blip and not the One True Way, opinion article grandpas.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

If only we could destroy the earth, fygm the economy, and keep others down like the big generation has. I guess bootstraps.

Not meant to derail, it's just one more reason this mess isn't getting better. I want the inclusive individuals to come to power so maybe we can fix this country.

I'll stop with that now, you just reminded me of that tangent.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

there wolf posted:

Not that we need to go into a lot of detail on it Negrotown, but "why are so many millennials moving back in with their parents !?!"

Maybe having your own house for you, your spouse and 2.5 kids was just a cultural blip and not the One True Way, opinion article grandpas.

Install the "snake people to millennials" browser extension and watch that stress shed its skin melt.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's gotten... fun with communities where the kids are expected to move out ASAP but couldn't, so instead of understanding, supporting and simply getting along as family, parents quietly resent their children for not getting the gently caress out to take nonexistent opportunities so they can live the empty nester life, while the kids stew in their failure to achieve what society has told them all their lives is the requirement to become an adult.

We've all been taught wrong, on purpose, and not as a joke.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Aren't we like the only country that really emphasizes moving out of your house at 18?

And isn't that just a holdover from WWII because there were 3 single, usually employed women for every man returning home from war so we had a nation of young veterans coming home and immediately having families of their own basically, and we were juuuust about the only industrialized nation left on Earth whose factories hadn't been carpet bombed so it was easy for them to get jobs when they came home, unlike every other war this century where Vets would come home to a much worse economy than they left.

This is anecdotal but I have friends from Tokyo and London and they both tell me that as far as they know, moving out at 18 is something only people studying abroad even consider, neither economy is really set up to support moving out at 18, and it's not really expected of anyone unless you are like married and expecting, and even if you move of out mom/dad's house, there's a good chance they might follow you along in a few years because who the gently caress else would take care of them (my understanding is that elder care facilities are very different in the UK/EU/AS and nowhere near as common as in the US).

I was watching an old Patrice O'Neil interview where he's on Opie & Anthony explaining that this evolved into project housing culture where the project itself is so cheap that it makes sense for communities to try to take them over because it's like a giant building where your whole family can live, but everyone who is old enough can get their own apartment so you end up with buildings housing 3-5 generations of the same family instead of spreading itself out, not only to pool resources but also to keep taking care of each other instead of striking out on your own to become individually successful.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 21, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Australia as well. Probably because of a similar situation and tons of cheap land and housing. (It's not so cheap anymore, to say the least)

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I actually have things to say about this conversation, but I'm gonna do that later, ump in real quick and say Happy Earth, Wind and Fire Day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

In college my frat held a "Greatest Song Ever Recored Ever" contest and this won by a mile once the choices got posted

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Koalas March posted:

I actually have things to say about this conversation, but I'm gonna do that later, ump in real quick and say Happy Earth, Wind and Fire Day!

Hell yes!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Koalas March posted:

Thank you! I always mean to play this song on the 21st but keep forgetting.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Bust Rodd posted:

In college my frat held a "Greatest Song Ever Recored Ever" contest and this won by a mile once the choices got posted

I still prefer Fantasy over it but September was a great song.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Great now I'm never gonna get the song September out of my head!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

I posted this in the Black twitter thread last night but y'all slept on it. :colbert:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

HotCanadianChick posted:

I posted this in the Black twitter thread last night but y'all slept on it. :colbert:

Ugh, white people ruin everything (the followup video in one of the comment threads).

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Demi is great. He was making a million Uptown Funk remixes one year for April Fools and they all had me in stitches

https://twitter.com/electrolemon/status/715933589607751680

Pastrymancy fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 21, 2017

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/910938734715183104

Interesting he chose "white women" as the subject.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/electrolemon/status/910934485834776576

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hey Fluffdaddy, which one of your earlier links would be best for sending you a bit of help? I'm still pulling myself out of a financial hole from unemployment, but I can spare a bit to help you.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Pastrymancy posted:

Demi is great. He was making a million Uptown Funk remixes one year for April Fools and they all had me in stitches

https://twitter.com/electrolemon/status/715933589607751680

https://twitter.com/electrolemon/status/715977149451280385

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Taerkar posted:

Hey Fluffdaddy, which one of your earlier links would be best for sending you a bit of help? I'm still pulling myself out of a financial hole from unemployment, but I can spare a bit to help you.

The paypal is better.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Isn't working for me right now, my connection might be too spotty. I'll try again when I get home.

Edit: Should have gone through now.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 21, 2017

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

there wolf posted:

Here in Brazil it's completely normal to only move out of your house when you marry. I got married this year at 31 and my house is the second house my wife has ever lived in.

I always thought that barring family problems (which was my reason to move out), it makes no sense not to live and contribute to your parent's house as an adult until you're perfectly able to move out on your own terms. The parents get their ROI from child rearing early by having some bills paid and the kids can afford to save money for more important things and emergencies.

It's very stupid to kick your kids out at 18 and still pay everything for them. What's the point? No one can afford that bullshit in third world countries.

It's also fun to see how countries that work like this have an abundance of love hotels compared to the US.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

We have cars instead of love hotels

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

nerdz posted:

Here in Brazil it's completely normal to only move out of your house when you marry. I got married this year at 31 and my house is the second house my wife has ever lived in.

I always thought that barring family problems (which was my reason to move out), it makes no sense not to live and contribute to your parent's house as an adult until you're perfectly able to move out on your own terms. The parents get their ROI from child rearing early by having some bills paid and the kids can afford to save money for more important things and emergencies.

It's very stupid to kick your kids out at 18 and still pay everything for them. What's the point? No one can afford that bullshit in third world countries.

It's also fun to see how countries that work like this have an abundance of love hotels compared to the US.

The problem is in the US, the town where your parents live very likely doesn't have a job for you.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/910943767993176065

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

greazeball posted:

We have cars instead of love hotels

This only really works in suburban or rural areas. Getting laid in a car in the city is kinda hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Forceholy posted:

This only really works in suburban or rural areas. Getting laid in a car in the city is kinda hard.

Plus the risk can be high if you get caught.

• Locked thread