Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I followed the last two SA racing series with great interest, and I would like to join, but Automation is not a cheap game and I don't see myself playing it outside of these challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I've created a monster

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Due to some unforeseen things coming up in reality, the start of SASC-90 will be delayed until after this weekend.

Dance Officer posted:

I followed the last two SA racing series with great interest, and I would like to join, but Automation is not a cheap game and I don't see myself playing it outside of these challenges.

I'm glad you enjoy them :)

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Dance Officer posted:

Same here - only reason I bought the game. Love just fiddling with the game before, during, and after the seasons start.

@MrChips - is it too late to submit Prototype chassis entries?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

extreme_accordion posted:

Same here - only reason I bought the game. Love just fiddling with the game before, during, and after the seasons start.

@MrChips - is it too late to submit Prototype chassis entries?

If you can get it to me by tomorrow morning, I should be able to have a look at it!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

We're up and running, lads and ladies.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

New dev update, talking about the current UE4 version, and the upcoming release, which they figure will be out in a couple months, give or take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwBc6ghWgYM

Meanwhile, SASC-90 is rolling along with aplomb; we have a total of 26 entries across the field (from 10 players), and there's always more space for more if anyone is still on the fence. If you're new to my Automation challenges and are a little imtimidated by all the numbers and whatnot, well, I have a couple of options available for you! First, my entries from last time are available to anyone who wants to take them and tweak them to work with this challenge's ruleset; all three entries (Group A and C, and a Group B entry that didn't run) were very strong, and with a little work could be competitive in thsi challenge. The second option is to enter into the Prototype class; this is easier in some ways than running a customer car, but also harder, in that you need to scratch-build an engine, as well as work within the tighter confines of whichever chassis option you desire.

There is still 10 days (and five test sessions) remaining before SASC-90's submission deadline, so don't put it off any longer than you have to...come play today!

MrChips fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 20, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I'll be entering something but I have no real time to do a decent suspension tune and will not be doing any revisions or race strategy. If anyone is more interested in those parts of the challenge, post here or drop me a PM and I'm sure we can work something out

E: wrong thread

simplefish fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 20, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Oh hey, there's a thread here too.

... I have to admit I'm not sure how interesting I'm finding the rest of the game but I'm having a hoot tweaking cars for the SASC GT thing. Am I the necbkeardiest of neckbeards?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

mekilljoydammit posted:

Oh hey, there's a thread here too.

... I have to admit I'm not sure how interesting I'm finding the rest of the game but I'm having a hoot tweaking cars for the SASC GT thing. Am I the necbkeardiest of neckbeards?

Once the rest of the game gets fleshed out some, I think it could be really quite good...I mean, I'm pretty interested to see if I can go dominate the world of sports cars in tycoon mode as much as anyone, I suspect.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

MrChips posted:

Once the rest of the game gets fleshed out some, I think it could be really quite good...I mean, I'm pretty interested to see if I can go dominate the world of sports cars in tycoon mode as much as anyone, I suspect.

I just kept looking up things and coming across dev responses of "we're not making a racing game, that won't ever be implemented" and like, ugh, fine.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I'm just here making garbage 70s ' ' 'economy' ' ' cars, because i lust to inflict Chevettes and Aspens and Pintos on the world

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I'll have to mess with things to figure out how to do it even ignoring various tools but the SASC challenge is inspiring me. I kinda want to try to set up something late-60s-Trans-Am-ey. Not exactly Trans Am, but sorta like, and I'm spitballing here... big GT class you get either 5L pushrod or 3L (D)OHC, small GT class you get up to, I dunno, 2L with 2V or 1.6L with 4V, and a Can Am class where it's run whatcha brung. Maybe emphasizing more towards 2 hour races instead of longer ones to deal with the reliability. No fuel burn rules because it's the 60s, but obviously burning less will mean fewer pit stops...

The twist I'm not quite sure how to do (I mean I have ideas but I need to do math and poke around at that part of the game) is that you have to base the racing versions of the GT cars off of the same chassis/engine as a sellable production car and you'd have limited resources. So like, if you were basing around an econobox that sold like hotcakes and made your OEM a lot of bank, you'd be able to stomach pushing things harder and occasionally blowing up expensive race versions of the engines because you have more of a resource pool, while something closer to suited for purpose wouldn't sell as well, but would probably be fast with less money and less tuning to destruction.

Just thinking at this point.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

New dev update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNNaDzPFnYc

Talking about mod tools and the new fixture system (which looks really neat).

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Just messing around right now, but the new Automation is real pretty:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

My latest creation with the latest beta. Think of it as a competitor to the Ferrari 575M Maranello

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

This sounds like a weird nitpick, but are they ever going to get rid of the idea that 5V/cyl was anything other than a dead-end? ;)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

mekilljoydammit posted:

This sounds like a weird nitpick, but are they ever going to get rid of the idea that 5V/cyl was anything other than a dead-end? ;)

It already is a dead end in the game - five-valve heads do not have the ability to run VVL once it arrives chronologically, which is a huge disadvantage in a lot of ways.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

This kind of slipped me by, but a new Dev Update came out earlier this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FELi0Y8UxFo

Topics include the rebalancing and changes being made to the car designer, so that the AI can actually build cars for the upcoming campaign mode.

Also, the SASC-90 Challenge is now heading into the final two weeks, with some of the class battles looking to heat up dramatically. Come watch how it plays out!

Finally, if you have ideas for a future Automation challenge, let me know in this quick survay.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
I would like Sears Point Raceway for the SASC-91 season.

It's a very technical course but still very fast. It's 2.52 miles long and has a 160 foot difference between its highest and lowest points. This is the course in it's Full Course configuration, the only one available in 1991. (Which means no Chute, Bus Stop, or turns 7a and 11 a.)

Chip Robinson describes the track a bit more here.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Got my Group B entry from SASC90 mostly translated over to UE4 for the SASC91 challenge (well, I'm making assumptions about rules but nevermind that) but... argh, not being able to pile on downforce is annoying me, given how much I used it. Lap times on ATT are back up in the 2:01 range; might have to do something completely different.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

I'm a bit wary of putting too much effort into translation – especially when it comes to the fine tuning. Looking at patch history, things have changed a lot between patches in the UE4 version.

Still having a go at it myself, of course!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I'm just at the stage of trying things to figure out how the UE4 driving model responds. Translating my Group B car over is kind of a ... "well this worked there, what about here?" thing. Trying an interpretation as one possible starting point, you know? The suspension is completely different tuning-wise but honestly it makes more sense to me what works now than what did before.

Waiting to hear how the "small displacement engines get a boost" thing works and how fuel consumption is calculated now before I even pretend I've finalized anything, of course.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I've figured out the new fuel burn calculation; turns out it was easier than I thought in that the percentage shown in-game is just the thermal efficiency of the engine, straight-up. I will be updating the fuel burn calculators to reflect this sometime this evening.

E: I've had a few minutes to update the tool, here's the link!

MrChips fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 21, 2017

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

New Dev Update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9e_qMS0TVw

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Getting a bit impatient for the next big update. It feels sort of wrong to actually play the game as is when something Huge is right around the corner...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Pursesnatcher posted:

Getting a bit impatient for the next big update. It feels sort of wrong to actually play the game as is when something Huge is right around the corner...

I think we're all getting some ants in our pants about the next update, but I am confident that they will deliver what they promise, even if it might take a while.

In the meantime, let's post what we've been playing around with in the meantime (click for original sized images):

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Weighing in at 2,4 tons, this ultra-luxury 1956 baby, with a 13685cc V12, handmade interior, and top of the line safety and entertainment systems, pulls 920 hp at the 5400 rpm mark (which just happens to be the redline before the conrods start failing). It's able to finish the Automation test track in a mere 3:13, and gets up to 108 in the Hyper market segment. I've named it the Cubanero Floater, and I'd totally buy one if I could.

Then there are the more... "reasonable" experiments.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

New Dev Update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JvRxht6MWU

Lots of changes coming in the car designer - things are moving along fairly well though on the next update, the devs figure it will be something like Christmas or the new year when we see it.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
MrChips - that's the base model of the VH in GrandpasBronzedBooties. We'd like to see the full R spec model in OrangeYouGoingtoArrestMeOfficer for all future sneak peak marketing attempts.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

New Dev Update:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDGmag2nBRQ

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I'd hardly call that a "little" dev update! :v:

Also, Automation is 15% off in the Steam Holiday Sale - this is the biggest discount you will see all year long on the game, most likely.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Is anyone else getting $NaN for their material costs in the car designer?

Edit: It seems to be when you choose no entertainment option

Danny Glands fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 24, 2017

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Good news mid-engine race car fans, your favourite body has been ported over to UE4:

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

What do you use for the pop-up headlights?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Yay!

Although the one I was working with wasn't bad.

Now I just need wings and for them to do things...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Danny Glands posted:

What do you use for the pop-up headlights?

Here's your mod in the Steam Workshop.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

One thing this game is missing is wood paneling.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Why stop at paneling?

Wood chassis! Just like a Morgan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Danny Glands posted:

One thing this game is missing is wood paneling.

Funny you mention it, they're talking about exactly that on the Discord right now...