Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
It feels like we cover the mattress topic in this thread every few months. The foam mattresses are great. IME they are mostly the same. Pick a company with one of those 100 nights and we come and get it if you don't like it guarantees. "Come and get it" is the operative term here, if they want you to mail it back you will never squeeze that thing in a box again.

There was a mattress thread in A/T a while back but I think it aged out.

I am not a particular sleeper and I find the foam mattress in our guest room to be equally as comfortable as the innerspring in my bedroom. I don't find it to be particularly warmer. I don't find sexytime to be any more easy/difficult.

If you move a lot, moving a regular mattress is a bitch but moving one of those foam things is a huge pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

I'm in the market for a new mattress and I think I'd like to try out one of these fancy, newfangled, foam mattresses from the internet. Is there a megathread or anything where I can get recommendations?

If not – any recommendations?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813333

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thank you!

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I don't want to pay an annual fee to use MS Office. Where can I find a thread full of alternatives? I don't mind paying a premium, I just don't want to be tied down to a monthly payment.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Bioshuffle posted:

I don't want to pay an annual fee to use MS Office. Where can I find a thread full of alternatives? I don't mind paying a premium, I just don't want to be tied down to a monthly payment.

I mean you can still buy MS office as a standalone, never update application. https://products.office.com/en-ca/home-and-student

Its only Office 365 that is subscription based.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Bioshuffle posted:

Google Apps is great. IMO it does nearly everything you need from MS Office.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you have a .edu email its freeeeeeee

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I need book recommendations on Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, and related composers like Brahms. Specifically, I'm looking for analysis of these composers' musical inventions and developments and their impact on the field. I'm less interested in gossipy Lifetime-channel anecdotes about their lives, unless the anecdotes are well-attested. Basically I want to learn about how these and other musicians changed music. Have you read anything along those lines about these composers?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Seeing lots of FB 'genius' tests like 'bet you can't name a fish without an a in it' or 'bet you can't name any word that starts and ends in t'. Obviously there are 50000 replies to each from very clever people. What's the cynical motivation behind these, harvesting user names?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Any tech wizards able to help me out with this: my mobile phone gets a perfect 263 Mbps / 30 Mbps down / up speed when I'm stood right beside the router via wifi, which is located a few metres away from my office (in the lounge). I get 91 / 29 down / up via wifi when I'm sat in my office with the door closed. My current setup is using those Netgear Powerline thingies that you plug into the wall socket and it carries it through ethernet connection and your electric circuit of your house. I get 94 Mbps via ethernet on my PC.

What can I do to get the 260 Mbps speed on my PC, despite it being a few metres away from the router? The most straightforward solution is to pay £120 to get the ISP to send a technician out to reinstall in my office, but I don't want to pay such a high price if there's cheaper alternatives. Is there a way to tell what is bottlenecking my speeds on the PC? Is it the copper wiring of the wall sockets that slows it down? Is it the Netgear Powerline (despite it being rated for 200 Mbps IIRC)? I'm 100% certain it's not the ethernet cable itself, as I specifically bought a cable recommended for high data transfer.

Is there a device I can buy that captures the wifi signal of my router and has little ethernet ports that I can stick in the hallway outside my office, which would allow me to run an ethernet cable a short distance to my PC and give me speeds close to 260? I can't relocate my PC (despite that being the easiest option) cause there's no room in my lounge, and also having my PC in there would be pretty silly.

Edit: I'm a fuckin goof for not getting the technician to initially setup the router in my office. I'm poo poo outta luck cause now I've got the fibre optic box sitting on the wall in my lounge, and I can't DIY it cause it's all proprietary stuff that makes no sense to me.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 21, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Q8ee posted:

Any tech wizards able to help me out with this: my mobile phone gets a perfect 263 Mbps / 30 Mbps down / up speed when I'm stood right beside the router via wifi, which is located a few metres away from my office (in the lounge). I get 91 / 29 down / up via wifi when I'm sat in my office with the door closed. My current setup is using those Netgear Powerline thingies that you plug into the wall socket and it carries it through ethernet connection and your electric circuit of your house. I get 94 Mbps via ethernet on my PC.

What can I do to get the 260 Mbps speed on my PC, despite it being a few metres away from the router? The most straightforward solution is to pay £120 to get the ISP to send a technician out to reinstall in my office, but I don't want to pay such a high price if there's cheaper alternatives. Is there a way to tell what is bottlenecking my speeds on the PC? Is it the copper wiring of the wall sockets that slows it down? Is it the Netgear Powerline (despite it being rated for 200 Mbps IIRC)? I'm 100% certain it's not the ethernet cable itself, as I specifically bought a cable recommended for high data transfer.

Is there a device I can buy that captures the wifi signal of my router and has little ethernet ports that I can stick in the hallway outside my office, which would allow me to run an ethernet cable a short distance to my PC and give me speeds close to 260? I can't relocate my PC (despite that being the easiest option) cause there's no room in my lounge, and also having my PC in there would be pretty silly.

Edit: I'm a fuckin goof for not getting the technician to initially setup the router in my office. I'm poo poo outta luck cause now I've got the fibre optic box sitting on the wall in my lounge, and I can't DIY it cause it's all proprietary stuff that makes no sense to me.

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/feature/network-wifi/what-is-powerline-3491484/

quote:

Let’s be more honest than the manufacturers – and they’re all at it – you won’t get 500Mbps from a 500Mbps Powerline adapter. You’ll be lucky to get 100Mbps for a multitude of reasons, including age of your power cables, distance between adaptors, “electrical noise”, mains fluctuations, interference from other devices such as phone chargers, and circuit breakers.

This loss of strength is known to technical types as “signal attenuation”. So let’s forget the 500Mbps claims – except to recommend the “500Mbps” kits over the definitely slower “200Mbps” Powerline kits.

200Mbps Powerline will achieve speeds between 20 and 90Mbps, while 500Mbps kits reach speeds between 20 and 200Mbps. In our tests 500Mbps Powerline was an average twice as fast as 200Mbps Powerline kits, and the gigabit 1,000Mbps or 1,200Mbps about a third faster still.

What kind of router do you have and what frequency does it use?

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Chop Sunni posted:

Seeing lots of FB 'genius' tests like 'bet you can't name a fish without an a in it' or 'bet you can't name any word that starts and ends in t'. Obviously there are 50000 replies to each from very clever people. What's the cynical motivation behind these, harvesting user names?

If you reply to their bullshit they get ad revenue, probably.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

A Zyxel router. I figured the Powerline thing was too good to be true. I was considering buying a wifi extender and sticking it just outside my office and running ethernet from that, under my door, to my PC. But they're pretty expensive (£80 for one with decent reviews) and at that price, I may as well fork out the £40 to just get the ISP to reinstall it all in my office. I also have no idea whether I'd still experience a drop in speed since the extender is also a little ways away from the main router.

My next idea is to just buy this ethernet cable at whatever length I need (I will measure to find out) and then just run it along the edge of the wall all the way from the lounge to my office. Only issue is, I have no idea what to get to keep the wire snug and tight to the wall to try and make it look less ugly. And there's the issue of running it across my hallway that'll leave it sticking out like a sore thumb (it's at the end of the hallway, but my bathroom door is at the end of the hall, so I'd have to either run it up and over the bathroom door, or beneath the bathroom door which would look so unaesthetic).

It's the cheapest option, but I've got no idea how to secure it well enough to stop it from sprawling loose all over the place.

Poldarn posted:

maybe, but the definite reason is because the more activity a FB post gets, the more likely it is to appear on people's' newsfeeds.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 21, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Poldarn posted:

also your information is worth a lot of money and is why sites like facebook are valued at billions.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Q8ee posted:

A Zyxel router. I figured the Powerline thing was too good to be true. I was considering buying a wifi extender and sticking it just outside my office and running ethernet from that, under my door, to my PC. But they're pretty expensive (£80 for one with decent reviews) and at that price, I may as well fork out the £40 to just get the ISP to reinstall it all in my office.

My next idea is to just buy this ethernet cable at whatever length I need (I will measure to find out) and then just run it along the edge of the wall all the way from the lounge to my office. Only issue is, I have no idea what to get to keep the wire snug and tight to the wall to try and make it look less ugly. And there's the issue of running it across my hallway that'll leave it sticking out like a sore thumb (it's at the end of the hallway, but my bathroom door is at the end of the hall, so I'd have to either run it up and over the bathroom door, or beneath the bathroom door which would look so unaesthetic).

It's the cheapest option, but I've got no idea how to secure it well enough to stop it from sprawling loose all over the place.

maybe, but the definite reason is because the more activity a FB post gets, the more likely it is to appear on people's' newsfeeds.

There's various plastic things that will cover over a cable run against the wall or across a hall while not standing out too much, usually called something like cable shields.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Wish me luck then. Gonna order the ethernet cable and just run it along my skirting boards and figure out the neatest way to cross the hallway.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

fishmech posted:

There's various plastic things that will cover over a cable run against the wall or across a hall while not standing out too much, usually called something like cable shields.

On Amazon, "cable clips" seems the more common name. When I did something similar I just bought this flat cable that came with its own clips: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WD017BG/

Qubee
May 31, 2013

dirby posted:

On Amazon, "cable clips" seems the more common name. When I did something similar I just bought this flat cable that came with its own clips: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WD017BG/

that cable is perfect for what I want, I really want to find a flat one, but I have no idea how to cut such a huge length of cable down to size.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Just checking: you are using a 5GHz wifi card in your PC, aren't you?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
what's the best place to make some business cards for your self?

Also, what should a business card really look like? I'm assuming simple is better but i don't really know

Qubee
May 31, 2013

spog posted:

Just checking: you are using a 5GHz wifi card in your PC, aren't you?

I'm not using a wifi card, I just have an ethernet thing on my motherboard I plug the cable into (an ASUS Z97-Pro). Based on that, the ethernet interface is 1 Gigabit. So that's probably not a bottleneck.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

N. Senada posted:

Also, what should a business card really look like? I'm assuming simple is better but i don't really know

Vistaprint for cheap, Moo for less cheap. At least that was the case two or three years ago when I last had some printed.

As for looks, totally up to you but I feel the simpler the better. When I had mine done I wanted a half inch scale grid printed on the back, so I ended up hiring a graphic designer from here to do the layout for me. I think I ended up paying him like 150 bucks and they're quite snazzy looking imho.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

N. Senada posted:

You can look for places like Staples, Office Max, or small local print shops if you want to go the brick and mortar route. Otherwise, Vistaprint seems good, and always seems like they are offering some discount or another on your initial purchase. They also probably offer more options and you can see the designs as you build it on the site.

As for how it looks, I find simpler to be better, but it depends a little bit on what you do and who is going to be getting the card. If you have a company name and logo see if you can incorporate that information on there. If your company has specific colors you can get cards printed with extra color. You can add artistic flourishes like swathes of color or borders or get fancy with it. You can also get them printed on different weight/color paper. Everything I mentioned beyond basic text costs extra and can be a little extra or a lot extra.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
What's the best place to register an internet domain for my website to avoid it being shut down? Content will be game reviews to start with, some more scathing than others, and might grow into a imdb.com kind of database, listing games industry executives' bad business practices and how they are connected. Of course I am overthinking it, but I would like to err on the safer side. I'm thinking a simple swiss domain registrar and host for my site, to avoid any unwanted interference.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

So what you're saying is you want to take on the evil gaming industry with your opinions, and you're concerned that you'll be so effective that the US government will want to bring down your site?

Does IMDB have the same hosting practices as WikiLeaks?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Downs Duck posted:

What's the best place to register an internet domain for my website to avoid it being shut down? Content will be game reviews to start with, some more scathing than others, and might grow into a imdb.com kind of database, listing games industry executives' bad business practices and how they are connected. Of course I am overthinking it, but I would like to err on the safer side. I'm thinking a simple swiss domain registrar and host for my site, to avoid any unwanted interference.

You probably shouldn't do what you plan on doing based on this post.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

black.lion posted:

So what you're saying is you want to take on the evil gaming industry with your opinions, and you're concerned that you'll be so effective that the US government will want to bring down your site?

Does IMDB have the same hosting practices as WikiLeaks?

I'm thinking to back it up with facts, such as the WB having to deal with FTC after paying YouTubers for favorable reviews, etc.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

You probably shouldn't do what you plan on doing based on this post.

Why not?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Downs Duck posted:

I'm thinking to back it up with facts, such as the WB having to deal with FTC after paying YouTubers for favorable reviews, etc.

Okay but I think you're overestimating a. how much people that aren't gamers care about the gaming industry, and b. the ferocity with which the US government will attempt to seize a site presenting verifiable facts that are part of public record. Like unless you're planning to use espionage or some sort of gray magic to find private data, and then publish that data without permission, I don't get it.

Anyway I'm sure Switzerland would work, or just put it on the darknet or whatever that HBO series is about besides drugs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

I'm in the market for a new mattress and I think I'd like to try out one of these fancy, newfangled, foam mattresses from the internet. Is there a megathread or anything where I can get recommendations?

I got a Casper. It's a bit too firm for me but I live in a remote area so Amazon was like, "gently caress it" when I tried to redeem the 100 night warranty and just gave me my money back. So I put a soft topper on it and now it's wonderful.

I've heard Leesa is better than Casper.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

black.lion posted:

Okay but I think you're overestimating a. how much people that aren't gamers care about the gaming industry, and b. the ferocity with which the US government will attempt to seize a site presenting verifiable facts that are part of public record. Like unless you're planning to use espionage or some sort of gray magic to find private data, and then publish that data without permission, I don't get it.

Anyway I'm sure Switzerland would work, or just put it on the darknet or whatever that HBO series is about besides drugs.

Agreed. As I wrote initially, I am overthinking it, most likely there will be no problems. This will just be a pet project, if that much. I like to work uninterrupted if possible and lowering the odds of being interrupted beforehand is never a bad play in my book. It is merely a "better safe than sorry" thing.

The purpose would be to dig into already public records and make them more transparent/front and center, and easier for consumers to check before a purchase. I could make a big loving thing called SuperBigSite of Unethical Business in General containing all businesses on the world, but considering my lack of expertise I wanted to narrow it down pretty much from the get-go. It could also be interesting getting something like this to work with Enhanced Steam or other, where you would get a bar chart for different things, such as ethical reputation, work environment score at the company, or whatever, next to the product on Steam. Some might care whether a game is made from kids in Asia, most probably don't give a poo poo. I'd still have fun making the website.

Thank you for your input, appreciate it.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

To clarify about the Facebook thing, when you get clickbait posts like that, the intention is two fold. First, they want a ton of people to see it and some of those people to follow their page.

Second has to do with how the Facebook algorithm works with filtering and displaying posts. When you interact with a post, by liking it, commenting on it, etc, Facebook will show you more posts from that page in the future.

Brand pages typically have a "reach" of around six percent of their audience. That means for each post they make, only six out of every hundred people who follow the page will see it. By getting more people to interact with the posts they make, they increase their reach.

More reach means more people who see the actual "hey by the way buy our shirt" posts they make later.

Individual pages can't sell your personal information the way Facebook as a whole can, but they can create a list of people who have engaged with them in the past and use that to target ad posts or teach how you used their website, of you do. They also don't get ad revenue directly, Facebook doesn't pay people like that.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Ron Don Volante posted:

I've lost two rent checks in the mail over the past six months, and have put stop payments on both of them. The stop payments expire in 12 months, and I'm worried about mail thieves just waiting for the stop payment to expire before cashing. Is that a valid concern? These envelopes were going less than 30 miles, so it seems to me the likelihood of it being theft vs. USPS misrouting is elevated. I trust my landlord and don't think she's trying to con me. I'm almost wondering if I should close out my checking account and transfer the funds somewhere else, as the missing checks are pretty sizable and would account for about 15% of my total funds.
Most banks won't cash checks after 6 months have passed and most identity thieves will just sell your account number in bulk.

Thanatosian posted:

For the international crowd: 27.5 cm from the tip of my big toe to the back of my heel, ~12cm wide at the ball of my foot.

Here's a picture with an American quarter sitting directly on my foot, for reference (spoilered so people aren't getting random images of feet popping up):

I visited Taiwan back in February, and EVA Air gives you slippers for wearing on the plane. This is me trying to put one on:

Do you have flat feet? I wore wide shoes for 30 years before getting proper insoles and it turned out my 15eeee feet were actually contorted 15d feet that seemed wider due to severe pronation and fixing that made a lot of my problems go away. I'm not doubting that you have huge feet, but those pictures remind me of mine.

kedo posted:

Another thing to try - call your local Mattress Firm and ask which store near you sells pre-owned mattresses. I know you're already making a disgusted face at this suggestion, but pre-owned is 5% returns from people who slept on it for a few days and didn't like it and 95% floor models, both of which have to be spotless and are inspected and sterilized before being resold. I got my mom $1800 worth of bed for $500, tax included, by doing this. Same guarantee and you can try it out in store before buying.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 22, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Downs Duck posted:

Agreed. As I wrote initially, I am overthinking it, most likely there will be no problems. This will just be a pet project, if that much. I like to work uninterrupted if possible and lowering the odds of being interrupted beforehand is never a bad play in my book. It is merely a "better safe than sorry" thing.

The purpose would be to dig into already public records and make them more transparent/front and center, and easier for consumers to check before a purchase. I could make a big loving thing called SuperBigSite of Unethical Business in General containing all businesses on the world, but considering my lack of expertise I wanted to narrow it down pretty much from the get-go. It could also be interesting getting something like this to work with Enhanced Steam or other, where you would get a bar chart for different things, such as ethical reputation, work environment score at the company, or whatever, next to the product on Steam. Some might care whether a game is made from kids in Asia, most probably don't give a poo poo. I'd still have fun making the website.

Either way the domain doesn't matter because if someone is gonna bitch they're going to contact your host, not your domain registrar

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I HAVE MORE BUSINESS CARDS QUESTIONS!

I'm making cards to give to people I meet at a conference, but I'm not sure about putting my current position (I'm a PCV) because I won't be in it very soon. But then again, maybe that will make my card stand out (edit: because it's a unique position that highlights just how got dang much I care about stuff, man)? My whole point is to give it to people who might be interested in hiring me for work.

If there's a thread about this or someone has more advice, I'd really appreciate it.

2nd edit: halp me mak good card

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 22, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is this a good GTX 1070? All the different versions confuse the poo poo out of me, and I always worry I'm gonna drop a wad of cash on a subpar product. Is it worth me upgrading right now, or should I wait for Christmas time (there'll be deals, right?)

Qubee fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 22, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Downs Duck posted:

I hosted a page for someone that listed the personal information of members of one of Britain's largest outright-racist parties at the time and the worst thing that happened to me was whining emails even though it was like honestly pretty illegal if I'd been over in the UK. Eventually I took it down when the party'd basically collapsed and one of the guys who was listed gave me $500 to take his name off the site and I just shut the whole thing down cuz it was easier.

Basically the point is posting about video games is way less illegal so you have nothing to worry about if you just use like Dreamhost or something.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Switzerland doesn't really care all that much about data privacy and they're already over a barrel with the USDOJ over bank accounts anyway. The real privacy freaks in Europe are the Germans so if you're super paranoid, register your domain and host your poo poo there. It's total overkill, but at least get your facts straight.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Nighthand posted:

To clarify about the Facebook thing, when you get clickbait posts like that, the intention is two fold. First, they want a ton of people to see it and some of those people to follow their page.

Thanks for this and to everyone else that replied :)

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks for all the mattress recommendations folks. They're in line with a lot of what I've heard from other folks. It seems like a lot of these companies are very similar, so I'm probably going to narrow it down to a few and then just pick one at random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
We just got a Leesa and I really like it. It is firm and the edge is "harder" then I expected it to be, sitting on it to put my shoes on feels no different then our old normal mattress.

It's not mindblowingly awesome, but it is totally acceptable and feels like any other mattress.