Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
What's the best tool for documenting Python 3 for an open source project (there are multiple languages in this project, but let's assume I'm gluing together the docs from different languages manually)? It looks like there are several options, and I'm not familiar enough with the Python open source world to know what's standard. I feel like I rarely see the builtin PyDoc, and see sphinx referenced more often, but I don't really know the tradeoffs and pros/cons of all the various tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Linear Zoetrope posted:

What's the best tool for documenting Python 3 for an open source project (there are multiple languages in this project, but let's assume I'm gluing together the docs from different languages manually)? It looks like there are several options, and I'm not familiar enough with the Python open source world to know what's standard. I feel like I rarely see the builtin PyDoc, and see sphinx referenced more often, but I don't really know the tradeoffs and pros/cons of all the various tools.

I would suggest Sphinx and ReadTheDocs. I am not sure how well that works for not automatic documentation.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Sphinx is the way to go here unless you're looking to generate API docs and you like how Slade (or whatever) looks like. Though you can definitely modify the Sphinx output pretty endlessly.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

pyautogui question

I'm trying to automate some dumb work thing and I want to setup a mouse to raster across a screen very quickly

moveTo works great except I need it to run a function if the pixel under the cursor changes. As far as I can see nothing can be checked while moveTo is currently moving (with a duration of 0.5). My only other option is to use moveTo but divide the screen into squares and have it check every time it moves to another square, but that is far far too slow.

Any ideas? I sure hope it's me being bad at programming

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

pyautogui question

I'm trying to automate some dumb work thing and I want to setup a mouse to raster across a screen very quickly

moveTo works great except I need it to run a function if the pixel under the cursor changes. As far as I can see nothing can be checked while moveTo is currently moving (with a duration of 0.5). My only other option is to use moveTo but divide the screen into squares and have it check every time it moves to another square, but that is far far too slow.

Any ideas? I sure hope it's me being bad at programming

If moveto doesn't offer any sort of callback functionality the only thing you can do is move in steps.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey dudes, I set up some Powershell scripts to automate installing a calculator-like virtual env.

Running the setup script does the following:
-Creates a virtual environment in the directory you downloaded the scripts
-Installs the scipy stack, PyQt, and Spyder. (Downloads Scipy and its numpy+MKL prereq from Chris Gohlke's site, then the rest from PyPi. See this for why this is currently necessary; something to do with a Fortran compiler license)
-Setups up shortcuts that run Qtconsole or Spyder in that env.

I made bash scripts to do the same, but can't test it since my Ubuntu version has broken venvs. Might try setting up a special ipython config to automatically import numpy as np etc, but haven't figured out how to do that on a per-env or per-instance basis. Stack Overflow post I made describing my troubles here.

Related: Spyder feels appropriate for this type of use; I didn't give it a chance before, but it's great for writing and running one-off scripts for solving math and science problems.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 22, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I just know we've got data and science types ITT, so I thought I'd mention that the new PyCharm EAP has a scientific mode.

edit: oh I forgot a link: https://blog.jetbrains.com/pycharm/2017/09/pycharm-2017-3-eap-1/

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 22, 2017

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Sick!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Here's a pretty elite variation on Python.

quote:

Often, a function will require that parameters have certain desirable properties. A function in Vigil can state what it requires by using implore:

Python code:
def square_root(n):
    implore n >= 0
    return math.sqrt(n)
If a caller fails to provide valid arguments, it is wrong and must be punished.

and

quote:

This is where Vigil sets itself apart from weaker languages that lack the courage of their convictions. When a Vigil program is executed, Vigil itself will monitor all oaths (implorations and swears) that have been made. If an oath is broken, the offending function (the caller in the case of implore and the callee in the case of swear) will be duly punished.

How?

Simple: it will be deleted from your source code.

Eternally morally vigilant.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

This was my favorite line from that:

quote:

Vigil deleted a function. Won't that cause the functions that call it to fail?

It would seem that those functions appear to be corrupted as well. Run Vigil again and it will take care of that for you. Several invocations may be required to fully excise all bugs from your code.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Thermopyle posted:

This is not elite, merely just.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Linear Zoetrope posted:

This is not elite, merely just.

I stand corrected!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Burn the Heretic. Kill the Mutant. Purge the Unclean.

... using assertions

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

and

haha that's loving great, should be added to Python 3 IMO

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

and

These file descriptions are fantastic

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

What's the go-to tool for compiling a python app into an eve these days? Is it still py2exe or has something better and cooler shown up on the scene?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Sockser posted:

What's the go-to tool for compiling a python app into an eve these days? Is it still py2exe or has something better and cooler shown up on the scene?

http://nuitka.net/

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey dudes, looking for database-design/Django wisdom. I'm storing and retrieving tabular data. Ie there are ~60 people, ~20 things to track per person. I have a table that has rows foreign-keying to a person, an item, and a few bits of info like dates. This means I'm querying 1200 rows of this each page load... it's bogging the server down to the point where the site takes minutes to load or times out. Is there a better way to store this type of data? I imagine I could fix it by serializing a dict of data in a text field or JSON field associated with each person (items as keys, dates etc as values), but I suspect this is frowned up. What do you suggest?

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!

Dominoes posted:

Hey dudes, looking for database-design/Django wisdom. I'm storing and retrieving tabular data. Ie there are ~60 people, ~20 things to track per person. I have a table that has rows foreign-keying to a person, an item, and a few bits of info like dates. This means I'm querying 1200 rows of this each page load... it's bogging the server down to the point where the site takes minutes to load or times out. Is there a better way to store this type of data? I imagine I could fix it by serializing a dict of data in a text field or JSON field associated with each person (items as keys, dates etc as values), but I suspect this is frowned up. What do you suggest?

Should profile your view with something like the Django debug tools or whatever they're called. There's no point guessing where the bottleneck is if you have a exponential algorithm for querying rows. 1200 should be fairly simple with the right query.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Yeah, you probably just need to finesse your query. Might have to use raw SQL if the ORM isn't expressive enough.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A while ago, I complained about dict(this_will_become_a_str=var) syntax. Somebody told me I was silly because dict is highly convergent with regular kwargs. I have in the meantime understood your point, and it has essentially made me more comfortable using **kwargs well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Cingulate posted:

A while ago, I complained about dict(this_will_become_a_str=var) syntax. Somebody told me I was silly because dict is highly convergent with regular kwargs. I have in the meantime understood your point, and it has essentially made me more comfortable using **kwargs well.

I love it when this happens to me.

Someone will explain something to me and I'll be thinking "sure, whatever dude" and then a year later I'm like "gently caress that dude was right, I apologize for dismissing you under my breath".

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, you probably just need to finesse your query. Might have to use raw SQL if the ORM isn't expressive enough.
Fixed it. Apparently there's a huge performance penalty for doing:
Python code:
 [gt for gt in ground_trainings if gt.person == person and gt.item == training_item]
instead of:
Python code:
 [gt for gt in ground_trainings if gt.person_id == person.id and gt.item_id == training_item.id]
Seems like another good ROT is when in doubt, use normal Python code to filter your initial query results; re-filtering/getting can cause extra DB pulls.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 25, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I can't really do it for you without having access to your codebase and database, but I'm 95% sure you can do that purely in the DB with the ORM or failing that raw sql. Probably be less resource intensive too.

The Django rule of thumb is don't do filtering in python when your highly-optimized database software can do it for you. Databases are built for filtering.

Though, like all rules of thumb, there's quite a bit of leeway there dependent upon your data structure, data size, and machine/network resource constraints.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I can't really do it for you without having access to your codebase and database, but I'm 95% sure you can do that purely in the DB with the ORM or failing that raw sql. Probably be less resource intensive too.

The Django rule of thumb is don't do filtering in python when your highly-optimized database software can do it for you. Databases are built for filtering.

Though, like all rules of thumb, there's quite a bit of leeway there dependent upon your data structure, data size, and machine/network resource constraints.

How can I do this efficiently in Django query language? people is a query result.
Python code:
matching_people = (person for person in people if person.last_name.lower() == last_name and person.first_name[0].lower() == first_initial)
person = next(matching_people)
It's not this:
Python code:
person = people.get(last_name__iexact=last_name, first_name__istartswith=first_initial)
Another example:
Fast:
Python code:
matches = (i for i in items if i.pex_task_id == item['Task ID'])
item_db = next(matches)
Slow:
Python code:
item_db = items.get(pex_task_id=item['Task ID'])

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 26, 2017

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001

Dominoes posted:

How can I do this efficiently in Django query language? people is a query result.

I think you need to post your generated SQL to better evaluate why one is fast vs. slow. There's no way a straight up "select x from y where z = abc" should be slower than "select * from y"(+ post-processing in python) in a real DBMS

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ahz posted:

I think you need to post your generated SQL to better evaluate why one is fast vs. slow. There's no way a straight up "select x from y where z = abc" should be slower than "select * from y"(+ post-processing in python) in a real DBMS

I agree with this.

Dominoes posted:

Slow:
Python code:
item_db = items.get(pex_task_id=item['Task ID'])

This should be almost your most basic SQL statement ever and should be faster (or at least there should be a negligible difference) than fetching all items from the database and then iterating over them in python.

It almost makes me think there's a problem with your database. Are you using Postgres or what?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I came across this neat theme for PyCharm, and because I'm always fiddling with stuff, I decided to try it out.

It's called Material Theme and it's pretty great and customizable.

I'm actually most impressed by the fact that it's very thorough and doesn't seem to break anything...which is, IME, not par for the course when it comes to open source themes for stuff.

I also added the Code Glance plugin (just search the Plugins in Settings) which adds the "minimap" of the code in your files like SublimeText does. It also seems to work well without slowdowns or anything.

Look to the right side in this screenshot:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

I came across this neat theme for PyCharm, and because I'm always fiddling with stuff, I decided to try it out.

I'm actually most impressed by the fact that it's very thorough and doesn't seem to break anything...which is, IME, not par for the course when it comes to open source themes for stuff.

I also added the Code Glance plugin (just search the Plugins in Settings) which adds the "minimap" of the code in your files like SublimeText does. It also seems to work well without slowdowns or anything.

Look to the right side in this screenshot:

I like the look of that Material Theme. I'll have to give it a go later.

I've been rocking Code Glance for a while, and that minimap is worth it's weight in gold.

From the screen shot I see you're on a Mac. Did you upgrade yet? Any gotchas or caveats you found with Python (specifically Anaconda if you use it) or PyCharm?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

From the screen shot I see you're on a Mac. Did you upgrade yet? Any gotchas or caveats you found with Python (specifically Anaconda if you use it) or PyCharm?

Nah, I'm on Windows, I just stole those screenshots from elsewhere.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

I've been using this theme for a while. Make sure you get the latest fork, there are two in the repo.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Does anybody know of a python3 module that let's you work with .FCS files? All the ones I can find are 2.7 only

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

creatine posted:

Does anybody know of a python3 module that let's you work with .FCS files? All the ones I can find are 2.7 only

Perhaps you could do a .FCS -> .txt with another tool and go from there? If .FCS doesn't have formatting, you could probably just do with open -

http://www.pythonforbeginners.com/files/with-statement-in-python

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

creatine posted:

https://github.com/eyurtsev/fcsparser claims to do it, I've only ever used FlowCytometryTools (which is 2.7 only)

Depending on what exactly you need, it's not too horrible to write something yourself to yank out the data and compensation matrix.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Foxfire_ posted:

https://github.com/eyurtsev/fcsparser claims to do it, I've only ever used FlowCytometryTools (which is 2.7 only)

Depending on what exactly you need, it's not too horrible to write something yourself to yank out the data and compensation matrix.

Yeah I just need data from it to try tSNE analysis with it. It's not critical to our work, it's more a side project at work for me.

huhu posted:

Perhaps you could do a .FCS -> .txt with another tool and go from there? If .FCS doesn't have formatting, you could probably just do with open -

http://www.pythonforbeginners.com/files/with-statement-in-python

Thanks I'll give this a shot if the other package doesn't work.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I use PsychoPy to run Psychology experiments. Right now, I'm doing an experiment where participants view a word in multiple different fonts. Here's my problem: The fonts need to be markedly different between presentations, but the letters themselves should always appear in the same spot. So while common monospaced fonts are far too similar to one another, variable spaced fonts tend to result in a much smaller word width with smaller spacing between words.

In my case, I use 5 letter words with Lucida Console for one presentation, and Brush Script for the other. Is there any way in Python or PsychoPy that I can fix/justify the text display so the width and/or spacing of these two fonts are the same? Save for manually setting the X/Y coordinates of each individual letter?

I'm displaying text in my Experiment using TextStim.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JVNO posted:

I use PsychoPy to run Psychology experiments. Right now, I'm doing an experiment where participants view a word in multiple different fonts. Here's my problem: The fonts need to be markedly different between presentations, but the letters themselves should always appear in the same spot. So while common monospaced fonts are far too similar to one another, variable spaced fonts tend to result in a much smaller word width with smaller spacing between words.

In my case, I use 5 letter words with Lucida Console for one presentation, and Brush Script for the other. Is there any way in Python or PsychoPy that I can fix/justify the text display so the width and/or spacing of these two fonts are the same? Save for manually setting the X/Y coordinates of each individual letter?

I'm displaying text in my Experiment using TextStim.
Displaying the letters individually is probably gonna be very simple.

code:
## boilerplate here
from psychophy import visual

x_pos = (-3, -1, +1, +3)
def display_word(word, x_pos, font):
    for x, character in zip(word, x_pos):
        visual.TextStim(win, text=x, font=font', pos=(x_pos, 0.0)).draw()
    win.flip()

display_word("code", x_pos, this_font)
or something like that.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
If I'm understanding that correctly- you built a function to display the word that iterates through the letters and places them in fixed coordinates? I can certainly give that solution a try, and it was my fallback method. Just seems somewhat inelegant- you'd think there'd be a 'Justify Text' setting so I could set the size of the bounding box and forget it.

Oh well! Thanks regardless :v:

Edit: Is there any way I can get Python to return the coordinates of the letters already in my study, or will this be trial and error until I replicate the spacing of Lucida Console? I'd like to fix the new font to those locations.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 28, 2017

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

JVNO posted:

Edit: Is there any way I can get Python to return the coordinates of the letters already in my study, or will this be trial and error until I replicate the spacing of Lucida Console? I'd like to fix the new font to those locations.
Not really, since the advance width is not likely to be identical between glyphs. If you want absolute, pixel-perfect alignment, there are a lot of considerations to take into consideration, because working with fonts is loving terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Well gently caress me, cause creating 1440 pixel perfect images of all the word stimuli I used would be a horrifying endeavour. I'll either deal with the weird spacing, or use Cingulate's method :

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 29, 2017