Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

doctorfrog posted:

I always thought it was a contrivance to use some nice background sound effects. I'm cool with it in a series that features haunted books and a ghost trap table. A tape recorder beats using a typewriter or wax cylinder Ediphone.

Audio skeumorphism! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Magnus is the one nice thing that we have that practically all of us can agree on. Don't start poking holes in it now! :colbert:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jurgan posted:

No, you can't do that, the stories are so disturbing that they can't be recorded digitally. I kind of hated that plot twist- it seems so silly.

I don't think something mentioned in the first couple of episodes is a plot twist.

Literally, Episode 1 while he's explaining the premise:

Jonathan Simms, Head Archivist of the Magnus Institute posted:

I plan to digitise the files as much as possible and record audio versions, though some will have to be on tape recorder as my attempts to get them on my laptop have met with... significant audio distortions.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 20, 2017

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Turtlicious posted:

I don't think something mentioned in the first couple of episodes is a plot twist.

Literally, Episode 1 while he's explaining the premise:

'Kay, I forgot that line. It wasn't until the end of the first season, though, that they explicitly stated the reason was that talking about supernatural events somehow distorts digital records. It could have just been that his computer was messed up. And why does it not affect magnetic tape? They're going for a sort of Lovecraftian idea of things being so outside human experience that they damage your sanity, but I'm not sure why that should apply to a string of ones and zeros.

New Leaf posted:

Magnus is the one nice thing that we have that practically all of us can agree on. Don't start poking holes in it now! :colbert:

Nah, this is a discussion thread. We can find holes and still enjoy it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You said you hadn't caught up yet right? At the end of s2 you find out that the books are indeed some Lovecraftian things from beyond that just kind of are and we're not created. Leightner (spelling) only found and collected them to try and keep the world safe.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Len posted:

You said you hadn't caught up yet right? At the end of s2 you find out that the books are indeed some Lovecraftian things from beyond that just kind of are and we're not created. Leightner (spelling) only found and collected them to try and keep the world safe.

Okay, I won't read that text and reserve judgment.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Jurgan posted:

'Kay, I forgot that line. It wasn't until the end of the first season, though, that they explicitly stated the reason was that talking about supernatural events somehow distorts digital records. It could have just been that his computer was messed up. And why does it not affect magnetic tape? They're going for a sort of Lovecraftian idea of things being so outside human experience that they damage your sanity, but I'm not sure why that should apply to a string of ones and zeros.

They have implied that it is not the digital nature of the recordings that distorts them in the episode the with the hacker that watches the video of the Russian guy eating a computer or whatever. She says that tapes are digital too (which is flat-out wrong in reality, but sure, whatever, maybe they're digital in the Magnus-verse), which I'm pretty sure was the author pointedly saying it's not the digital nature of a recording that causes it to degrade when it's a recording of a supernatural thing.

Given that cameras have been called "electronic eyes" when discussing a supernatural entity called "The Observer", I'm going to guess that computer-based recordings specifically are affected because they have enough of a "brain" behind them to be noticed by one of the supernatural things or something along those lines.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

New Leaf posted:

I'm burning out on it and what yall are talking about now sounds dire. :(

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Well, there's a new season of Black Tapes. Started the last week of August. Maybe they're swapping between that and Tanis? :shruggo:

Going back to ad-chat for a minute, I think most podcasts struggle with it because one the story gets rolling it seems hard for most creators to cut away - Magnus & etc. tell stories in a way that tried to slide from normal to spooky in a slow gradient. Having an act 1/ad break/ act 2 formula would over-signal when the spookiness is coming.

Imagine being the stamps dot com ad exec who gets to hear Archive 81's weird rear end in universe ads.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

TenCentFang posted:

I'm burning out on it and what yall are talking about now sounds dire. :(

Is it possible that you just don't have the patience for serial fiction? I don't mean that as an insult, honestly. There are people (my wife is one) who just naturally get tired of series after a while. It could be that you just aren't inclined to enjoying long series. I could be wrong about that, of course, but if not I might recommend Secrets, Crimes, and Audiotape. It's an anthology series, so if one of the stories isn't doing it for you, then you can just skip to the next. The three-parter "Severed Threads" is probably my favorite, but there's a lot of good episodes. At least in terms of production quality it's one of the best out there.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
My commute has gone from an hour's drive each way to a 4 minute walk and I've completely abandoned listening to all podcasts except Magnus.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jurgan posted:

Is it possible that you just don't have the patience for serial fiction? I don't mean that as an insult, honestly. There are people (my wife is one) who just naturally get tired of series after a while. It could be that you just aren't inclined to enjoying long series. I could be wrong about that, of course, but if not I might recommend Secrets, Crimes, and Audiotape. It's an anthology series, so if one of the stories isn't doing it for you, then you can just skip to the next. The three-parter "Severed Threads" is probably my favorite, but there's a lot of good episodes. At least in terms of production quality it's one of the best out there.

I think I just have really, really high standards. It's hard for me to ignore minor annoyances, which might relate to my OCD? It's like a beautiful painting with a wine stain in the corner that I can't stop noticing. I'll check out your recommendation, thanks.

I feel bad when I ask for suggestions tbh because I feel like I'm unpleasable and people will just get fed up with me constantly having petty reasons for not liking everything.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

TenCentFang posted:

I think I just have really, really high standards. It's hard for me to ignore minor annoyances, which might relate to my OCD? It's like a beautiful painting with a wine stain in the corner that I can't stop noticing. I'll check out your recommendation, thanks.

I feel bad when I ask for suggestions tbh because I feel like I'm unpleasable and people will just get fed up with me constantly having petty reasons for not liking everything.

I went back and looked to see what your minor annoyances and reasons for burn out where for TMA and don't see any details. What are they specifically? I feel like to some degree some of the wine stains could be no that's just the red color in the palette.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hughlander posted:

I went back and looked to see what your minor annoyances and reasons for burn out where for TMA and don't see any details. What are they specifically? I feel like to some degree some of the wine stains could be no that's just the red color in the palette.

One of the big things is that the narrators are always so verbose. This wasn't a big deal when it was all written down, but then the girl came on and the purple prose felt less justified. I'm also finding the main guy kind of annoying. He does a great job selling a stuffy British guy, but sometimes his condescending tone borders on Actually Obnoxious, and the generally over dramatic atmosphere doesn't help. I mean, when he's reading, that's one thing, but the way he spits out lines of his own feels like some bad overacting every now and then.

I also think the stories are a bit too vague, but I really wanna know how everything fits together. I'm not sure if I'll survive the apparent shift in status quo, since it sounds like the same kind of departure that turned me off Wolf 359:and Archive 81. This contributes to making it harder to march on because it feels like everything is gonna get worse(for me personally) anyway so it's hopeless regardless. Aghhh. The worldbuilding is so enticing, though.

TenCentFang fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 22, 2017

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The delivery of the characters in TMA always sounds like people reading competently off of a script to me rather than recollecting something that actually happened to them on the fly, but--my stars--it's free and fun to listen to. You're probably wondering how they eat and breathe, and other science facts.

Since we're on nitpicking, I really enjoyed the seriousness and ACTING ART of Bronzeville, but something in the delivery of the actors often made it seem to me like they were mostly recording in separate rooms at separate times and editing a lot of it together. It was good, but again my history of listening to radio dramas goes back to old 30's and 40's stuff, where it was always dudes in a room, broadcasting live. The rehearsedness and editing takes me out of podcast drama sometimes. I can sometimes even hear where the cuts are.

But I might be full of it. Still having fun. We're in a golden age, folks.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 22, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
TMA isn't for everyone though I would recommend pushing on until the first season finale, the acting is more natural there if that's what you're looking for.

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.
Hoo boy, just started season 2 of Archive 81 today and holy poo poo are those the most immersion-breaking ads I've ever heard.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Gregoriev posted:

Hoo boy, just started season 2 of Archive 81 today and holy poo poo are those the most immersion-breaking ads I've ever heard.

They're amazing right? Imagine what kind of postage you need to mail things back from the Eldritch hellscape. Thank goodness for :zalgo:stamps dot com:zalgo:.

Or the... Concert ticket service, I think? Bless them for not breaking character, but come on y'all.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had a dream last night that was an episode of The Magnus Archives where some furries pissed off the dragon mafia. It even had the bit at the end where he goes over why it might not be true.

I'm sorry if my clairvoyance just spoiled a future episode.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Pack it in boys the furry episode's been leaked

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

HIJK posted:

Pack it in boys the furry episode's been leaked

And the entire plot of my new podcast, apparently

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If they wanna distribute season 3 via dreams, I'm receiving.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Sidestep posted:

Normally the recommend function in my podcast app is garbage, but it turned up something pretty interesting this morning.

I have only made it through a couple episodes so far, but it has definitely been worth the time spent. I have a weakness for weird tales around creepy apocalyptic Jesus cults of all flavors and this doesn't dissappoint. The voice acting is solid, the production values seem pretty high and the end of the first episode is a great hook.

I listened to all ten episodes of this (about 2-3 hours) a week ago, and I enjoyed it. I won't say it's my favorite ever. There's a good bit of expository dialogue and the big twist is kind of trite. Still, it's a creepy story that has a good atmosphere and I like the reveal of what's really going on. Basically it's a doomsday cult based around technology. Also the main villain has a beyond creepy voice, kind of like Vandal Savage from Young Justice. I'd probably give it a 3.5/5.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Whoever was asking about Magnus Archive Patreon, they just dropped something new. Haven't listened to it yet but I think it's the Rusty Quill's owner's poetry being read by Jonathan Sims.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I started listening to Tribulation, I'm really liking it so far, though I do think the first episode was the creepiest by far. But I'll probably finish it up on my commute back tonight. I have to say that I'm increasingly enjoying listening to shorter, self-contained podcasts (at least in the narrative genre) rather than endless sprawling ones.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just Tribulation, and I definitely recommend it. Very creepy at parts, and good speculative concepts at other parts. It almost reminds me of some of the things Zack Parsons writes. Though I did have one thing I'm not quite sure of - in the "1999" episode, was it supposed to be implied that the Tribulation cult caused 9/11?

Also listened to the first episode of It Makes a Sound since it was on the WTNV feed, and... well, I stuck it out because I was kind of curious if they were actually going to play a song, but instead got 30 minutes of a Manic Pixie Music Hipster Snob, so probably won't continue with it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Just Tribulation, and I definitely recommend it. Very creepy at parts, and good speculative concepts at other parts. It almost reminds me of some of the things Zack Parsons writes. Though I did have one thing I'm not quite sure of - in the "1999" episode, was it supposed to be implied that the Tribulation cult caused 9/11?

I don't remember what line you're talking about, but I really doubt your spoiler text is what was intended. I thought maybe the Y2K scare was part of their plan, but I can't remember if there was anything to back that up or if it was just a guess I had.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I listened to the Tribulation Trailer a couple months ago and thought it sounded overly hokey and schlocky.

Today I started listening to the podcast itself and I'm pretty well hooked. I'm on episode 8 and enjoying it a lot.

ETA: The two big bads are vocal dead ringers for Alec Baldwin and Ian Holm.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 30, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Tribulation is rough, these 2 characters are really hysterical for listening to some creepy poo poo on the radio. Wish I could just listen to the crazy cult instead of having to listen to them.

"nooooooooo greeeeeeegggg :cry:"

HIJK fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 30, 2017

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I've been going through a binge over the last week on TMA. I ended up waking in the middle of the night at some point and when I went to get a drink of water, I was dead convinced that some monster was going to pop out of a corner and kill me or worse.

It's a good podcast.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

AceOfFlames posted:

I've been going through a binge over the last week on TMA. I ended up waking in the middle of the night at some point and when I went to get a drink of water, I was dead convinced that some monster was going to pop out of a corner and kill me or worse.

It's a good podcast.

I've been binging it too lately, since I started reading this thread, and I'm almost 3/4 through season 2. I'm really loving all the callbacks to earlier episodes, and the suggestion that there's a lot more to the Archive than we know. Like how apparently there have been other Archives going back thousands of years?

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.

boo_radley posted:

They're amazing right? Imagine what kind of postage you need to mail things back from the Eldritch hellscape. Thank goodness for :zalgo:stamps dot com:zalgo:.

Or the... Concert ticket service, I think? Bless them for not breaking character, but come on y'all.

I got in the habit of just fast forwarding through them (I don't usually make a point of it for other podcasts unless I'm in a particularly annoyed mood), but what an intensely pointless devotion to being in character.

I thought Tribulations was good, although Stacy's performance in the first episode definitely trends towards cringey.

I'm 5 episodes into Steal the Stars, and it's been consistently entertaining. Found out after finishing episode 5 that it's by the writer of LifeAfter and The Message, which explains the solid writing.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
Not sure if I've seen it mentioned, but Steal the Stars is pretty good - it's set in a secret base of an organisation doing "science" on a crashed alien ship.

The style is different from what I've heard before - the main character (Dakota Prentiss) also sometimes provides narration/exposition as well as being part of the story itself. It's a style you see in film/tv but I haven't heard it done so well on radio/podcasts.

Blurb from the podcast site - http://tor-labs.com/steal-the-stars/

Steal the Stars is the story of Dakota Prentiss and Matt Salem, two government employees guarding the biggest secret in the world: a crashed UFO. Despite being forbidden to fraternize, Dak and Matt fall in love and decide to escape to a better life on the wings of an incredibly dangerous plan: they’re going to steal the alien body they’ve been guarding and sell the secret of its existence.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

HIJK posted:

Tribulation is rough, these 2 characters are really hysterical for listening to some creepy poo poo on the radio. Wish I could just listen to the crazy cult instead of having to listen to them.

"nooooooooo greeeeeeegggg :cry:"

The first episode reminds me a lot of the first Paranormal Activity. People gave the main guy grief for being kind of a douche, but he was very believable. It’s common for men to think taking care of problems is their responsibility and they override their partner’s objections. “You must be telling me this problem so I can fix it.” So the first episode featured annoying character dynamics, but in a way that felt real.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Jurgan posted:

The first episode reminds me a lot of the first Paranormal Activity. People gave the main guy grief for being kind of a douche, but he was very believable. It’s common for men to think taking care of problems is their responsibility and they override their partner’s objections. “You must be telling me this problem so I can fix it.” So the first episode featured annoying character dynamics, but in a way that felt real.

I don't mind the dynamics, I mind the performances. They were both bad and their deliveries pitched way more to "whiney kids" than "scared and argumentative." It reminded me a lot of my sister's children when they don't get their way on something. It was kind of impressive that they both managed to get so shrill and repetitive in such a short amount of time especially since creepy radio signals are not unusual in that part of the state. They lost it too quickly.

In any case I gave it up during episode 3 when Stacy goes Super Saiyan. I'm not interested in that kind of super powered character outside of capeshit.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 1, 2017

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Kluliss posted:

Not sure if I've seen it mentioned, but Steal the Stars is pretty good - it's set in a secret base of an organisation doing "science" on a crashed alien ship.

The style is different from what I've heard before - the main character (Dakota Prentiss) also sometimes provides narration/exposition as well as being part of the story itself. It's a style you see in film/tv but I haven't heard it done so well on radio/podcasts.

Blurb from the podcast site - http://tor-labs.com/steal-the-stars/

Steal the Stars is the story of Dakota Prentiss and Matt Salem, two government employees guarding the biggest secret in the world: a crashed UFO. Despite being forbidden to fraternize, Dak and Matt fall in love and decide to escape to a better life on the wings of an incredibly dangerous plan: they’re going to steal the alien body they’ve been guarding and sell the secret of its existence.

I listened to the first 4 episodes or so and while the acting was good. I just couldn't get into the story.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Has The Bunker been brought up yet? It's 12 episodes long set in a post apocalyptic Earth. The premise is that there's three survivors from before the big headache who are putting on a radioshow for the wasteland. There's plenty of dark humor but I enjoyed it. They put out another podcast called MarsCorp but I haven't started it yet, I just finished The Bunker last night.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Len posted:

Has The Bunker been brought up yet? It's 12 episodes long set in a post apocalyptic Earth. The premise is that there's three survivors from before the big headache who are putting on a radioshow for the wasteland. There's plenty of dark humor but I enjoyed it. They put out another podcast called MarsCorp but I haven't started it yet, I just finished The Bunker last night.

I think so, but you're in for a treat. Definitely Human is one of my favorite troupes. MarsCorp is even better than The Bunker. I think they plotted it out tighter ahead of time. I can't wait for their next thing. (I skipped their Actual Play TBH)

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Oh man I'll have to check out The Bunker. I enjoyed MarsCorp, hopefully they'll be releasing season 2 soon. The small vignettes are holding me over for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I just listened to Archive 81 in the span of three days and I can't believe it isn't getting more love. Oh well, lean in while i hum this melody to you.