Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Psycho Landlord posted:

What makes a hammerheaded alien dude turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

(Liberated off my northern rear end in a top hat evangelizing zealots neighbors, new empire has no name and is despicably neutral, but man they want some research agreements :v:)

69, nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

poo poo I didn't even notice that, nice

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So how have people been doing with machine empires so far? I've actually had a tough time doing nearly as with one of my normal races, due to the glacial start. Paying 100 minerals for each pop and 500 for each colony ship feels crippling when I am used to free population growth and the glory of private colony ships.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I saw that coming when I made my machine race and took the +minerals civic, the +minerals trait, and started on a cold world and it hasn't been too bad. The obscene influence costs to colonize has really slowed me down so the mineral crunch isn't that bad even when I have to spend 500 per colony ship.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Torn between getting Stellaris + Utopia Expansion or EU4: Rights of Man and Mandate of Heaven. Help me, thread.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Gimmick Account posted:

I'd like to fix it myself so that I can continue my game, but I cannot seem to find the relevant event file. Maybe the Windows search function just sucks rear end, I don't know!

I found the events in 'colony_events_2.txt' by manually searching the directory (Thanks for NOTHING, Windows 10 search!), and what was presented by the text as a 'special project' is actually just... a delayed regular follow-up event. Yeah. The anti-climactic finale was an attack on my colony by three pirate corvettes.

I think the less said about this one, the better. I'm absolutely enjoying the rest of the game, to be sure.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Are y'alls sectors building machine pops properly?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Playing this game for the first time in about a year, got the expansion. Was going to upgrade my old races to be compatible, but noticed something fishy. This is a brand new race, notice the world preferences:

All of them. This can't be right?

The only mod I have enabled right now is No Clustered Starts.

Edit: tested, get the same thing with no mods turned on.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

metasynthetic posted:

Playing this game for the first time in about a year, got the expansion. Was going to upgrade my old races to be compatible, but noticed something fishy. This is a brand new race, notice the world preferences:

All of them. This can't be right?

The only mod I have enabled right now is No Clustered Starts.

Edit: tested, get the same thing with no mods turned on.

everyone can settle every world, they'll just hate every type except their preferred climate

now if you're able to get 80% on every biome that's wacky

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Is it too early to say if Missiles and Space Torpedoes are good yet? They got the ability to re-target right?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

No idea if they're actually good or not, but I've chosen them as my starting weapon for the first time since 1.0 because of the promised changes so we'll see how it goes.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I blew up a mining station and my missiles that were already in flight changed direction and blew up another mining station, was super cathartic

There's my trip report

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I thought torpedoes were dumbfired?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Starting from a fresh install, I'm having the following problem:

All my old races have the 'traits' box highlighted red. All of their traits are colored red too, but if I remove and re-add them, this removes the red flag.

However, for hive minds, the "Hive-minded" mandatory trait cannot be removed. Under ethics, completely removing the hive mind type and giving it generic ethics, saving, then coming back and re-adding Hive mind re-adds Hive-minded, but it's red again. Something similar happens with Syncretic Evolution.

I spent some time updating all my old races (that I could) to clear their traits. I exited the program to test what effect disabling / re-enabling the DLC had, and now all the races I just refreshed are red again.

This sucks.

I really enjoy creating these races for a playthrough and then encountering them again as enemies / allies in future playthroughs. It's like building my own little canon sci-fi universe, dreading running into the Soto Diaspora, or coming across the Ascalonian-Kadeshi-Corradan bloc that usually forms if they're in diplo range of each other. Taking that away diminishes a lot of the fun.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Alright, new game ready to go!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

metasynthetic posted:

Starting from a fresh install, I'm having the following problem:

All my old races have the 'traits' box highlighted red. All of their traits are colored red too, but if I remove and re-add them, this removes the red flag.

However, for hive minds, the "Hive-minded" mandatory trait cannot be removed. Under ethics, completely removing the hive mind type and giving it generic ethics, saving, then coming back and re-adding Hive mind re-adds Hive-minded, but it's red again. Something similar happens with Syncretic Evolution.

I spent some time updating all my old races (that I could) to clear their traits. I exited the program to test what effect disabling / re-enabling the DLC had, and now all the races I just refreshed are red again.

This sucks.

I really enjoy creating these races for a playthrough and then encountering them again as enemies / allies in future playthroughs. It's like building my own little canon sci-fi universe, dreading running into the Soto Diaspora, or coming across the Ascalonian-Kadeshi-Corradan bloc that usually forms if they're in diplo range of each other. Taking that away diminishes a lot of the fun.

Redo their government before you touch anything else. It's the governing ethics that are the issue with hiveminds, not their traits. Just reselect their government and it should sort itself out.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I did.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Ambivalent posted:

Alright, new game ready to go!

:kimchi:

I look forward to seeing more of peoples' fun ideas for robits. I'll see if I can share mine once I've got them figured out.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Tried a rogue servitor playthrough.

Sadly, the Eschaton Immanentization Zone did not last very long. All my neighbors were fanatic spiritualists or fanatic purifiers. Not even mentioning the advanced start fanatic purifiers Qravadox Slayers over there who had already wiped out like three empires 40 years into the game.

I just could not build up a fleet fast enough. Costs for robo empires early on are just so heavy.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I started my current game immediately adjacent to robo fanatics and a hive mind devouring swarm and thought "Oh boy here we go!" but turns out aside from those two, the only thing approaching a 'bad guy' in the entire galaxy is some authoritarian dudes way on the other side of the galaxy, but they're the 'enlightened despot protecting their people' flavor.

So it turns out that the United Nations is just happily bumbling along. We took out skynet, the swarm hasn't managed to actually take any worlds outside their home territories and they're not far outclassed by us good guys.

:shrug: Utopia came out ages ago but here we are.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I started a game as some pacifist spiritualists just to get a feel for the changes to the regular game.

To my immediate west (like 3 hyperspace jumps) are some erudite explorers to my immediate east are some peaceful traders. The next empire birding them are exterminators and purifiers.

I ran into one of the AI personalities that should hate me on the other side of the galaxy. Nope! They couldn't beg for a defensive pact quickly enough. Mutual threat is crazy!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i know that its been discussed, but not having a distinct ship type for AI is kind of lame

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Ugh, the Devourers built a frontier outpost in a system with primitives and then invaded it. My Federation wouldn't vote for war, so I had to leave the drat thing and fight it myself. Drained my entire mineral stockpile with a massive crash-building program, but we managed to win the needed objectives in time. We saved the primitives!

Then I remembered that at game start I'd built my own first frontier outpost specifically to enclose some other primitives within my borders, and so protect them from both purifiers. And we're a Free Haven Beacon of Liberty with an Idealistic Foundation, open to all species, treating everyone equally. And then I noticed just how relieved I was that I'd managed to save the plant bros in time because I wasn't at all sure I could win that war quickly enough to prevent their genocide.

So... I guess I've become the good guys :negative:

e; I've even been trying to balance out my colony ships so that the humans aren't the overwhelmingly dominant species.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wiz posted:

Correct, but we're going to change it so that Cyborgs can reproduce after some feedback on Assimilators. Came in too late to make the change in the release build though.

Maybe give them a sizeable growth malus to encourage acquiring new converts :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
My SERAPHIM Driven Assimilators are off to a fine start. Cybrex Alpha is in my backyard and my neighbors, soon to be converts, have a ruined Sentry Array. So many goodies :swoon:

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I thought there was going to be an option for multiple crises in this patch. I didn't just dream that right? If not, I hope the multiple crisis mod updates soon; I want to see how the the various events interact now.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don't like assimilating randomly between 1-4 pops regardless of that population's size. It'd be better as a percentage of the remaining population per year (minimum 1) maybe with a civic or perk to increase it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fintilgin posted:

I just could not build up a fleet fast enough. Costs for robo empires early on are just so heavy.

They kind of need to be. Those mineral costs seem to be the only thing holding them back at all.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Has anyone else had their planets stop listing from oldest settlement to youngest and just randomise which planet is where in the list?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Korgan posted:

Has anyone else had their planets stop listing from oldest settlement to youngest and just randomise which planet is where in the list?

yes

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

President Ark posted:

shouldn't a computer virus species be driven assimilators, not rogue servitors
Phishbot gotta phish. The preserves are a bunch of people passing around re: RE: fwd: emails in a simulated office environment.

I've also made a remorseful spambot who will not rest until every promise it ever made comes true. There is no opt out option.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 22, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dude, what the gently caress!

I thought we were FRIENDS, Emata! You just loving cockblocked me big time! Your space isn't even connected to that poo poo and there aren't even any inhabitable worlds in that area (just the creepy space orb floating next to a blackhole). Whhhhhyyyy?!

Can I tell them to dismantle this outpost or give it to me somehow? I'd rather not get into a war with a fellow representative democracy, especially when I've got the religious Zealots pushing in on my territory. I reaaallly want that outpost out of my way though... Damnit Emata :smith:

[edit] What a bummer note to end the night on. I guess ensuring I get that link between arms instead of the Pirazean is even more important now...
[edit2] They just built a second outpost up there in a neighboring system and pushed me out of a system where I had a few mining stations active (which apparently just go poof?). You're pissing me off Emata, damnit.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 22, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Filthy Monkey posted:

So how have people been doing with machine empires so far? I've actually had a tough time doing nearly as with one of my normal races, due to the glacial start. Paying 100 minerals for each pop and 500 for each colony ship feels crippling when I am used to free population growth and the glory of private colony ships.

I got boxed in by two empires which basically cut off my hyperlanes. They could expand to a ridiculous extent and while I still had a bunch of worlds to colonize due to being a robot there was just nothing to fix it.

The problem was, they could field equivalent fleets to me. While I could make a fleet that could take a starbase, it doesn't help when it's going to cost a big chunk of your fleet. Due to energy/mineral costs, you can't really go too much over your cap either.

I still feel like something has to be done about early-game combat. If I could've taken on either of those empires early, I could've got some breathing room. The problem is, starbases are basically impossible to knock over without a significant investment.

I feel like there needs to be something done to starbases. For a player, it's great that you basically have rush protection. It also sucks that you can't rush anyone. And if you're building heaps of corvettes to try and take out a starbase, you're crippling your expansion/robot pop numbers/infrastructure. Which means your neighbours, who probably aren't doing that, are going to be stronger than you.

The alternative, of course, would be some kind of espionage system to weaken empires, or asymmetric warfare.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 22, 2017

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Korgan posted:

They are listed in order of distance from capital planet.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

Can't believe there was not a special event here.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I thought paradox agreed those jokes aren't funny anymore.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I saw a Stimsis system.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Dude, what the gently caress!

I thought we were FRIENDS, Emata! You just loving cockblocked me big time! Your space isn't even connected to that poo poo and there aren't even any inhabitable worlds in that area (just the creepy space orb floating next to a blackhole). Whhhhhyyyy?!

Can I tell them to dismantle this outpost or give it to me somehow? I'd rather not get into a war with a fellow representative democracy, especially when I've got the religious Zealots pushing in on my territory. I reaaallly want that outpost out of my way though... Damnit Emata :smith:

[edit] What a bummer note to end the night on. I guess ensuring I get that link between arms instead of the Pirazean is even more important now...
[edit2] They just built a second outpost up there in a neighboring system and pushed me out of a system where I had a few mining stations active (which apparently just go poof?). You're pissing me off Emata, damnit.

I had almost exactly the same situation (empire I wanted to befriend screwing me over with outpost) which suddenly resolved itself while I was trying to figure out what to do next. Another empire to the north of the offenders offered me to join the war against them. The terms were - I get 1 of their planets and they dismatle the outpost. It was awesome and exactly what I wanted.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Ovo posted:

Can't believe there was not a special event here.

It only appears for Fanatic Xenophobes.

The new AI is impressive - on normal most empires are outproducing my machine empire by a reasonable margin, although I still have the edge in research. I may be imagining it, but they're also far better at the diplomacy game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Milky Moor posted:

I feel like there needs to be something done to starbases. For a player, it's great that you basically have rush protection. It also sucks that you can't rush anyone. And if you're building heaps of corvettes to try and take out a starbase, you're crippling your expansion/robot pop numbers/infrastructure. Which means your neighbours, who probably aren't doing that, are going to be stronger than you.

I think starports definitely need to be weaker earlier on and stronger later. They're a huge deal in the corvette phase and an unnoticeable speed-bump in the battleship phase, even thought they're apparently the massive complexes that are churning out your deathfleets.

• Locked thread