Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
But yeah it basically depends on which party list you like more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Golriz is awesome and she's on the edge. I know the Green Party Staffer saying "vote Green" doesn't mean poo poo but Golriz really is something else and she's somebody you want in parliament.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Golriz is awesome and she's on the edge. I know the Green Party Staffer saying "vote Green" doesn't mean poo poo but Golriz really is something else and she's somebody you want in parliament.

yeah I'm having trouble balancing the good green MPs vs the Not Good green leadership/management and I think I've come down on the side of just voting labour. I think I'd rather have competent, okay policies than incompetent people with better policies. I'll be happy to vote green again if you can convince me that the people responsible for running a candidate in ohairu and for literally everything to do with the turei debacle won't be involved in...well, any sort of decision making.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Minor parties are forced into running electorate candidates because it gives them more funding, however the Greens are at fault for never requesting Green voters vote for the Labour candidate in Ohariu. That said it's not exactly the Greens fault that Dunne would compromise all his principles in return for being part of the government.

Green party leadership is actually pretty good, it's the grassroots of the party that is hosed.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

In a left wing victory, the Labour party will be doing the lion's share of the leadership and management anyway as the majority party that fills the cabinet. I'd argue that the main thing that comes out of a strong Greens turnout is the amount of their policies that get enacted as part of the deal making that follows MMP elections. So in essence, wouldn't it be exactly the opposite of what you said, awesomoe?

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
The parties are a lot more alike than they were pre-MMP. Let's have a Labour-Green-National coalition.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah, and the folks making internal party decisions aren't gonna be the folks in parliament/doing public policy stuff anyway. Who to run where etc is still in their hands but they're not actually going to make decisions that affect your life.

Although tbh I am not against the Ohariu thing. I like Labour in principle, but jesus Greg O' Connor really? The guy who thinks NZ police should be more like American police, and wants officers to carry guns? If they were that interested in beating National, they shouldn't have picked somebody who Greens loving hate.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Nition posted:

The parties are a lot more alike than they were pre-MMP. Let's have a Labour-Green-National coalition.

A Lab/Nat grand coalition would be entirely workable if the far-right wing of the Nats weren't completely insane. I don't think Labour has a comparable far-left collection of MPs?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://thespinoff.co.nz/tv/22-09-2017/the-spinoffs-bumper-guide-to-watching-the-election-results-tomorrow/

Probably going to be switching between RNZ and Maori TV tomorrow

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Green party leadership is actually pretty good, it's the grassroots of the party that is hosed.

What do you mean?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

awesmoe posted:

yeah I'm having trouble balancing the good green MPs vs the Not Good green leadership/management and I think I've come down on the side of just voting labour. I think I'd rather have competent, okay policies than incompetent people with better policies. I'll be happy to vote green again if you can convince me that the people responsible for running a candidate in ohairu and for literally everything to do with the turei debacle won't be involved in...well, any sort of decision making.

I prefer to vote for people who actually believe in something, and will stand for their values even when it's unpopular. Labour caves the second a policy only has 49% support from the electorate.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Wandle Cax posted:

What do you mean?

Heavily underfunded, obviously, and prone to potentially damaging gently caress ups.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I am thinking I might just binge something on Netflix instead...

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I ended up voting last week, went Green. It's funny, since I voted I haven't really followed the election anymore. I only read about it anyway, I can't stand watching the news or listening to the radio but if I can read about it fine. But yeah it's almost like it doesn't matter now because I can't change it and they can't change my vote.

As for the result, like always I hope for the best (Labour/Green) but expect and am prepared for the worst.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I don't think Labour has a comparable far-left collection of MPs?

Sure they do, they've got their own party though.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Golriz owns

In labour you've got like... Michael Wood? Jenny Salesa? Maybe a couple of other good ones.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

^Michael Wood will get in through his electorate seat.

That said, I don't recognise a single name on Labour's list past Tamati Coffey, whereas the Green list had a bunch of awesome people who are probably going to miss out on their current numbers :(

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Oh, I was just naming the only good labour mps I could think of lol. They iirc have an ex-head of Shakti on their list, she seemed good

Read this to see Gareth Morgan's policy programme get dismantled for the incoherent neolib trash it is: http://werewolf.co.nz/2017/09/gareth-morgan-in-his-own-words/

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Just had a chat to a workmate who wasn't aware this weekend's the election and hasn't enrolled

argh

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

awesmoe posted:

I don't think O'Connor is under any threat by Woodley tbh

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

xiw posted:

Just had a chat to a workmate who wasn't aware this weekend's the election and hasn't enrolled

argh

https://twitter.com/izzyelle/status/911087421961363456

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

awesmoe posted:

Dunne's bonus vote is gone. Why shouldn't the Greens run there?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

xiw posted:

argh

I've been personally responsible for 3 people actually going to vote. I live overseas and they didn't even know where the polling station (NZ Embassy) was.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bike tory posted:

^Michael Wood will get in through his electorate seat.

That said, I don't recognise a single name on Labour's list past Tamati Coffey, whereas the Green list had a bunch of awesome people who are probably going to miss out on their current numbers :(

I went to school with Brooke loader. I can attest she is precisely the kind of person you want in politics.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

awesmoe posted:

.. and for literally everything to do with the turei debacle won't be involved in...well, any sort of decision making.

If it helps, Metiria was actually totally right to come forward and talk about hardship she faced 20+ years ago, how it made her a strong voice for people in the same situation and how only electing people who have no idea of these realities is actually how we perpetuate a broken system forever.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Apparently Newshub had a story ready to run stating that it was Orivida digging for swamp kauri who nicked the pipe and just put the dirt back and moved on. The story cleared legal but is being held up for some reason.

https://twitter.com/RusselNorman/status/911057792684797953

Varkk fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 22, 2017

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

gently caress I don't have outside work contact details for them

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Dunne's bonus vote is gone. Why shouldn't the Greens run there?

I'm for the Greens running there because their presence there means they'll be on people's minds

Much as I'm not a fan of O'Connor, that's why I'd rather him in the seat than Hudson, particularly if he keeps the approval of the electorate - a guy they like (or are even okay with) on a red background is better than a guy on a blue background.

It says something about Ohariu that even the Green candidate is ex-military~

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Midget Fist posted:

Prepared for the worst.

Congratulations Prime Minister David Seymour.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

bike tory posted:

That said, I don't recognise a single name on Labour's list past Tamati Coffey,

Duncan Webb's a good guy

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Nition posted:

Congratulations Prime Minister David Seymour Colin Craig

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

lmao absolutely everyone is brutally ripping the poo poo out of Seymour on 7 days.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Have you stopped beating your wife?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Heavily underfunded, obviously, and prone to potentially damaging gently caress ups.

"Hey guys, we are treading water at 10% and labour has been resurrected so we might actually get to be in government. Let's stop talking about polluted rivers and climate change and focus on social policy for a bit eh? The press never look for skeletons because we are the greens so we'll be sweet, and secure at least a 5% bump!"

Green Party leadership.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Pretty sure it was before Little stepped down that Metiria started that whole benefit fraud thing, herself not the press, and it did initially seem to be working. Then the electorate fraud thing came out and it kind of spiralled from there

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

"Hey guys, we are treading water at 10% and labour has been resurrected so we might actually get to be in government. Let's stop talking about polluted rivers and climate change and focus on social policy for a bit eh? The press never look for skeletons because we are the greens so we'll be sweet, and secure at least a 5% bump!"

Green Party leadership.

The Labour leadership change occurred 15 days after Turei's admission, as far as the Greens were concerned Labour were hosed at 23% in the polls and there'd be another National government.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

So might as well go down with them, right?

Roll the dice.

One transgression sure, fine. But two after the expected media and middle sensationalism over something so minor, what did they expect would happen.

And we've lost an excellent leader from the house. Slim chance we may lose the greens from the house entirely.

That's smart political leadership. I know of people who almost threw in their card when they found out the leadership did what they did. Those centre greens who were so vital in pushing past that 7% core were very nervous. Some were called repeatedly asking if they were still going to vote green, and subsequently they don't really want to be seen as rats leaving a sinking ship.

And that's how I see the greens this election. A sinking ship.

The grass roots are just fine. A bit ragged around the edges, the leadership have a lot to answer for in making that decision to go public on social policy. They were doing just fine.

A shame, really.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Is this thread going to be locked from midnight to 7pm tomorrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Orange Guy noooooo

I had to explain Orange Guy to my Irish boyfriend, because orange is the Protestant colour here and strongly associated with like, paramilitary loyalists :geno:

E: I've heard a lot of stuff lately from previously self-identified Green voters talking about 'what the Greens did', like they've disappointed them

• Locked thread