Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GoldStandardConure posted:

i wish i had an african grey

This but in a soundproof apartment and I don't have to work so I can spend all my time with the bird.

e: and also I have a pool and waterslide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Rockopolis posted:

Wow, who and what is that?

In case this was serious, he's a Blue-throated conure this is their beautiful baby Yellow-crested conure/Conuretiel

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't let Steve see, or it'll drive him wild :ohdear:.

I will set up a photo op sometime to see how/if Steve reacts, it is too dark today already for it

Disco Salmon posted:

such a handsome manbirb!!

He looks like he needs smoochies...you ARE giving him smoochies right??

RIGHT??

If not send him to me and I wil happily smooch his little birbhead all day!!

Not smoochies but he does get a lot of scritches, and you can ask if he wants a hug and sometimes he'll accept :3:

Ashynn posted:

While it may not be Battle Pigeon's glorious baby, Beryl has younger siblings!

I provide you, adorable babies! ~3 months old!

also vid, ft: DrakIris finger
https://imgur.com/M54kJnA

They are all incredibly adorable and just as colourful as Ohtori, little mango birbs

Indecisive Squirrel posted:

Ohtori never ceases to make me smile. :swoon:

His eye is looking better in the pictures. Is that the case Battle Pigeon?

Yeah, it seems to be mostly fine now. In different lights/angles it looks like there's still something but when poked and looked at closer it's not so clear if there is.

Bicyclops posted:

Yoshi is still doing what we're calling "the breathing thing," where he opens his beak and puffs in and out heavily, so it's back to the vet on Wednesday, and probably back on the second medication. :(

It's a lot less stressful getting him to take them these days, but this bird has cost us more money in the past few weeks than Loki did his entire life! Get healthy, Yoshi!!

Poor bird. Does he just have medication to deal with it, or any other treatments? Like the equivalent of breathing in above a steamy bowl of water for humans, etc?

greypearl posted:

I did not check the Bird Thread for one whole week! So you can imagine I nearly had an aneurysm after coming across cocka-Tori near the end of all the birb pictures and news.

In my defense, I was in Africa (Kampala, Uganda) having unique Bird experiences that mystified and amazed me-- the storks there are absolutely, unbelievably massive (wikipedia says wingspan of 12 feet). Also, I did catch the briefest of glimpses of an African grey near dusk on the one night I was on the outskirts of the city, and it brought a little tear to my eye.

I couldn't resist bringing home a new addition for our home after all of that. Pearl loves her new sibling.

That's awesome, it must have been an incredible trip, especially seeing your bird species in it's native habitat. What other cool birds did you get to see?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

this is rapidly shaping up to be the best thread page ever

edit: awwww, new page

where's my taco tuesday picture

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Battle Pigeon posted:

Poor bird. Does he just have medication to deal with it, or any other treatments? Like the equivalent of breathing in above a steamy bowl of water for humans, etc?

It's a minor respiratory infection, they think, so all he has are antibiotics in a droplet form. He hasn't been doing it for two days or so now (and he's been extremely active), so we're hopeful that he's on the mend.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

this is rapidly shaping up to be the best thread page ever

edit: awwww, new page

where's my taco tuesday picture

i have been lazy with my taco photography recently, i will see if i can get a new picture up when i get home from work. It's still Tuesday somewhere in the world, right?

Taco has become expert at doing the one legged comfort puff recently, all she wants to do is puff up and perch on my hand or in my lap.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Everyday Goast
Nov 27, 2011

spoopy

Taco got a BOYFRIEND while she was in birdie boarding

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

GoldStandardConure posted:

mum, you're right up against the screen. yes, i can see you. no--no, you just need to back up a bit. tilt the screen down a bit mum. mum--MUM

yeah all good, much better

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Everyday Goast posted:

Taco got a BOYFRIEND while she was in birdie boarding

Why are there no pictures in this post!? WE NEED PICTURES, DAMMIT! :f5:

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Hey guys. The night's been kind of poo poo, so can I ask a favor of folks?

Show me your best birbs. Gimme your best photogenic floofs. I could use some cheering up at work tonight.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Tonight's flavor of ridiculous: Cloud Poofs

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Someone glued baby carrots to that bird's head, how rude :mad:

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Met these little guys the other day. V chirpy. I went back to a huge parrot emporium place for the first time in like a year, its a bit of a drive.
They had like, 7 macaws? It was kind of ridiculous. I got some conures and a quaker to step up and play for a bit :3

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

GoingPostal posted:

Show me your best birbs. Gimme your best photogenic floofs. I could use some cheering up at work tonight.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
post to find a post

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

GoingPostal posted:

Max admiring the view.

And Buttons finally got A CRACKER?!

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Ol' Muttonchops Max

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tried taking a photo of sleeping Pion. I woke him up a bit :(

e: also Putni.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 21, 2017

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

My life here is just posting videos of my babies. But I hope you all enjoy them anyway

https://imgur.com/0tDWBDT

I need to learn to hold my phone sideways while doing this.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Gillian flailing around like a crazy bird:

And being a chill birb:

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
Oh hey, remember when I said I was gonna get a pigeon from a breeder and that was it?

Look at this pretty boy in his temporary setup! I don't have a name for him yet, but his band number is 1080 so it'll be something sufficiently nerdy.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I LOVE HIM

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

little_firebird posted:

Oh hey, remember when I said I was gonna get a pigeon from a breeder and that was it?

Look at this pretty boy in his temporary setup! I don't have a name for him yet, but his band number is 1080 so it'll be something sufficiently nerdy.

Pea.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

little_firebird posted:

What a handsome fellow! Name him Bert.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

little_firebird posted:

Bloodbeak Snowdeath, the Chill Fluttering Demise :black101:.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Yeah, with a band number like 1080, Pea is an amazing pun name.

And thanks to everyone for posting birds! It did me a lot of good to see all the happy (or moderately disgruntled at being awakened) birds!

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
Fun fact from the breeder (Ramsey Ringnecks, if anybody's interested): He's actually a blue lace satinette Classic Old Frill, and his feathers are brown-ish due to some 'root beer and rust staining'

I briefly referred to him as High-Def Root Beer Float (HDRBF) before he arrived. :allears:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Here's some less grumpy birds in the morning:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Ashynn posted:

My life here is just posting videos of my babies. But I hope you all enjoy them anyway

RIP your keyboard

little_firebird posted:

Here are some delightful pidges I have saved to my imgur that appeared in On The Origin of Species.

"The pouter has a much elongated body, wings, and legs; and its enormously developed crop, which it glories in inflating, may well excite astonishment and even laughter."

"The turbit has a very short and conical beak, with a line of reversed feathers down the breast; and it has the habit of continually expanding slightly the upper part of the oesophagus."

"The barb is allied to the carrier, but, instead of a very long beak, has a very short and very broad one. wonderful development of the carunculated skin about the head ... accompanied by greatly elongated eyelids, very large external orifices to the nostrils, and a wide gape of the mouth"

"just a regular fantail pigeon" (I don't think this is a quote from the book)

e: please watch this educational video of pouter pigeons hanging out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op9qGrCx9pI

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 22, 2017

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

So simple yet such an incredible name, absolutely this

little_firebird posted:

Fun fact from the breeder (Ramsey Ringnecks, if anybody's interested): He's actually a blue lace satinette Classic Old Frill, and his feathers are brown-ish due to some 'root beer and rust staining'

I briefly referred to him as High-Def Root Beer Float (HDRBF) before he arrived. :allears:

That's also an excellent name though

Ashynn posted:

Conure scritches are very cute but that happy 'tiel in the beginning is just wonderful :3:

nielsm posted:

Here's some less grumpy birds in the morning:

Does Putni sleep on the coconut? Surely there are more stable spots, bird.

I'm leaving Steve to you in my will because your two always look so healthy and vibrant and lively, and have a great enclosure there

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Look who's Parrot of the Day:

https://twitter.com/ParrotOfTheDay/status/911055559025090560

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Does Putni sleep on the coconut? Surely there are more stable spots, bird.

I'm leaving Steve to you in my will because your two always look so healthy and vibrant and lively, and have a great enclosure there

Yes Putni will find the most impractical place to sleep. Always.

Please don't die before Steve :smith:

I took a bit of video of them playing around on me earlier today. Please excuse the transitions, I'm trying out some video editing software.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oJg1vWEOQo

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Conure scritches are very cute but that happy 'tiel in the beginning is just wonderful :3:

Such a blissful birb, even if she gave us a hell of a scare last night by trying to hang herself from a chewtoy :ohdear:

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Battle Pigeon posted:

That's awesome, it must have been an incredible trip, especially seeing your bird species in it's native habitat. What other cool birds did you get to see?

Sorry for not answering right away, I've been making up for lost time at work. Besides the aforementioned storks, the ibises were really cool and sounded like a human laughing, so I kept thinking conures were around me. Their crows are called pied crows and look like they are all wearing tuxedos. The birds of prey (kestrels and the long-crested eagle) are huge and everywhere. My husband and I have a contest regarding who can see a hawk first every day, and I asked early on if Ugandan hawks counted, so I pretty much won every day after he agreed.

Weirdest thing wasn't the sight of the birds, though, it was hearing all the unusual sounds going to bed at night.

Also I should probably post this here because I am lovely at uploading photos of Pearl here but marginally better at putting them from my crappy phone onto Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/a_bird_named_pearl/

greypearl fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 23, 2017

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

little_firebird posted:

That loving bird is more dapper than I have ever been. :smith:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I wanna snuggle him

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

nielsm posted:

Yes Putni will find the most impractical place to sleep. Always.

Please don't die before Steve :smith:

I took a bit of video of them playing around on me earlier today. Please excuse the transitions, I'm trying out some video editing software.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oJg1vWEOQo

I don't plan on it, but Steve is going to live forever. Also still waiting to see how Brexit plays out and whether I'd be able to stay or not, and if not...

Are they tame and chill with you now, or hands are still suspicious?

DrakIris posted:

Such a blissful birb, even if she gave us a hell of a scare last night by trying to hang herself from a chewtoy :ohdear:

What happened?? What toy was it?

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I think i scritched Pig wrong tonight he was having a lovely little pat and then he just flew into his cage and insisted on sleep immediately, mid-scritch.

Poor bugger has had about 30 pins come through this week so he's been a bit touchy generally but this was a new thing. Especially going in his cage voluntarily.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

I don't plan on it, but Steve is going to live forever. Also still waiting to see how Brexit plays out and whether I'd be able to stay or not, and if not...

Are they tame and chill with you now, or hands are still suspicious?

Putni will step up on my hand in very specific circumstances. He must be sitting on my head, and I must be either sitting at the computer, or standing by the kitchen window. Pion still loves scritches and generally enjoys me helping with pin feathers on the head and neck.