Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Irate Tree posted:

Finally have a minimum squad of Kabalites! A wholly, completely illegal squad of Kabalites!

Pirates here to steal your poo poo!

Bases are from Micro Art Studios. I had the notion of doing what they did and put traffic lines and poo poo on but I got intimidated :ohdear:

Well done - glad I'm not the only one here painting them. About to convert a few into Trueborn kitbashed with Black Ark Corsairs.

I'm just been basing my grunts on Vallejo black lava but I'm still looking for something special for my HQs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

Well done - glad I'm not the only one here painting them. About to convert a few into Trueborn kitbashed with Black Ark Corsairs.

I'm just been basing my grunts on Vallejo black lava but I'm still looking for something special for my HQs.

That sounds like it'll be a rad kitbash. Please post some pics when you're done!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Zuul the Cat posted:

That sounds like it'll be a rad kitbash. Please post some pics when you're done!

Will do bruv

!Klams posted:

Like, you're taking it as an insult and getting defensive, but it is the case that in 40k, playing properly within the rules, you can kill your opponents things before they get to make any decisions. That IS the case, there's no grey area. And that's fine, because it's not the kind of game where that's a big deal.

Like your solution to "it doesn't matter if you try to screen your units with other units" is "use terrain". You see how as an argument that just doesn't hold any water, right? And, again, not insulting you, I think we agree, it's just the thing you're arguing is that "the game isn't unfair and there is stuff you can do to be better at it". And I agree! But making tactical decisions about "screening" or "positioning" of your army, in a vacuum, relative only to itself, is just... Well, pointless.

If the game itself explicitly recommends using terrain, can you really view how the game works without it in a vacuum and have it be an accurate reflection of the experience?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Turns out those post cards from GW look really great framed.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The rules do say to use terrain, but better advice on how and where to place it could probably make a big difference in communicating its importance. Its like magic items in DnD 3.5: an essential component of game balance opened to interpretation and often handled in overly stingy fashion as a result.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Complaining that armies get shot off the table when there's no terrain is kind of like complaining that close combat is way overpowered when you deploy 12" apart.

If you play the game in ways it's explicitly not intended to be played, it's not really surprising for it to fall apart.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Texmo posted:

Complaining that armies get shot off the table when there's no terrain is kind of like complaining that close combat is way overpowered when you deploy 12" apart.

If you play the game in ways it's explicitly not intended to be played, it's not really surprising for it to fall apart.

No one is saying "no terrain", but by most expert accounts the amount of specifially LOS blocking terrain, as opposed to area or ruins, needed is higher in 8th than it was in previous editions. And that's not said in the book anywhere. You just have to find out.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
You're right; I guess it just seems obvious to me that when they suggest that you should use terrain, that they don't mean two craters and a small hill. Maybe this is because i've been playing wargames for a while and know that everything being able to see everything else all the time doesn't make for an interesting battlefield.

Texmo fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 22, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OhDearGodNo posted:

Yeah but.... it's Bowie...

As opposed to what, the rest of suburbia?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
FLGS is doing a 20% off hurricane sale and so I picked up Know No Fear.

So i've got that plus the two Lts now. I'm thinking I'll run my biglys in a patrol detachment supported by my imperial guard and my assassins for now rather than get my other marines in on it. Though I will use my tarantulas with them.

At 1500 I can have those primaris guys, 3 tarantulas, a vindicare, a squad of guardsmen, 2 command squads and 2 guard characters in a chimera, 2 guard heavy weapon squads, and a leman russ. It's not a great list since it's got really limited force projection, but I'm wanting to try it anyway.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 22, 2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Turns out those post cards from GW look really great framed.

gently caress now I need to go find these...

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

As opposed to what, the rest of suburbia?

Had a side of family from there towards Greenbelt and it was not a good area at all. It's always left a really bad taste and maybe there is a part of Bowie that doesn't look like the area there right off of 495.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
This is going to take a while:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OhDearGodNo posted:

Had a side of family from there towards Greenbelt and it was not a good area at all. It's always left a really bad taste and maybe there is a part of Bowie that doesn't look like the area there right off of 495.

I grew up in the area near 50 and 197, and it's a pretty nice town. The limits don't even reach 495 so I have no idea where you're thinking of, but I agree there are definitely some unpleasant parts of PG County near the beltway.

Anyway the Warhammer store is in a pretty nice neighborhood. If it wasn't an hour drive for me I would go there more often.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
So I heard there's balance issues with hordes in 8th? In 40k?

Weird.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Pidgin Englishman posted:

So I heard there's balance issues with hordes in 8th? In 40k?

Weird.

People are just crying because Nids, Orks and Guard are good, particularly when you choose a force of elite uber units who are individually massive overkill against gaunts/boyz/guardsmen.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I feel like at least a part of that is that building an army with the sole assumption you're going to be facing relatively expensive 3+ save models backed by vehicles you can only wound with single shot high strength weapons is no longer the suggested default.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Only horde unit that is probably a slightly problematic are IG Conscripts. They're dirt cheap and easy to buff to a ridiculous degree with various passive effects. But even then dedicated horde clearing options will do a good job.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Thundercloud posted:

People are just crying because Nids, Orks and Guard are good, particularly when you choose a force of elite uber units who are individually massive overkill against gaunts/boyz/guardsmen.

Attestant posted:

Only horde unit that is probably a slightly problematic are IG Conscripts. They're dirt cheap and easy to buff to a ridiculous degree with various passive effects. But even then dedicated horde clearing options will do a good job.

Both of these posts are wrong.

Horde Orks are good right now. They've also broken the Ork list because nothing else is as good as spending points on more Boyz/Stormboyz/Weirdboyz to jump them across the table, except maybe throwing in some Mek Guns if you start to think you might not physically be able to move any more Orks (looking at some GT lists from this month, maybe Kommando spam is also good?). Tyranids are similar because Stealers are so good, but they don't seem to be placing in tournaments unlike Orks.

Conscripts aren't a problem in isolation - no one is taking a list exclusively of Conscripts. They're an issue because they provide a massive load of objective securing Troops which won't go away, bubble wrapping against DS and assault, and low-quality firepower, and they're so cheap that you can easily have 150 of them on the board and still have the best artillery in the game, shitloads of DSing plasma, tons of hulls to also overwhelm opponent anti-tank and a free choice from all the best parts of the Imperial soup package. People aren't complaining about Conscripts because they don't think to bring anti-infantry, they're complaining about Conscripts because they have to bring enough anti-infantry to deal with the Conscripts, Scions, and Mortars at the same time, plus Celestine is up in their face, plus somehow reaching the Basilisks/Manticores/Wyverns sat at the back of the board behind all the rest.

And then the next list they play might consist of ten Dreadnought hulls, or Tau commander spam, or Flyer spam (although this was reduced significantly thanks to the changes GW made). For bread and butter MEQs or the more elite xenos armies, it's hard to put enough stuff on the table to be flexible enough to deal with all that, whereas good Guard armies are flexible enough to deal with anything while also being the biggest problem by themselves.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

People need to play on cool battlefields more. When I stopped playing at my local game store and started playing at home my tables got exponentially better. If you have the terrain to play Infinity correctly you can make a really rad 40k table.

I know playing at home isn't an option for everyone, but you can always donate more terrain to help with the lack of terrain most stores suffer from. A lot of stores will sell you terrain at cost (or even below cost if they really give a poo poo about non Magic players) if you donate it for store use. Definitely something to consider.

Thundercloud posted:

This is the best thing about 8th frankly.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Does heavy terrain help with hordes, too? I imagine the cover rules, as unintuitive as they may seem sometimes, do a lot to mitigate hard-to-hide hordes and limit their ability to roll across the board in giant blobs.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Not playing on a bowling green solves a lot of problems.

I would go with a piece of terrain for every square foot of board (though not necessarily in every square foot). But I love urban tables.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Think it can be agreed that a table should have stuff all over it. If the thing has giants parking lots all over it then yeah stuff will get ripped off the board.

"But then my 20 odd las cannons can't -" is exactly why.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Bee posted:

Does heavy terrain help with hordes, too? I imagine the cover rules, as unintuitive as they may seem sometimes, do a lot to mitigate hard-to-hide hordes and limit their ability to roll across the board in giant blobs.

Yes, particularly buildings/impassable terrain that they can't just move through. Besides blocking LoS, it also forces them to deploy and move sub-optimally. Getting 50 Conscripts in range or 30 Orks into combat is a lot harder if there's chokepoints or whatever.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

List advice.

My local store are starting an escalation campaign, and the first section is 300 points.

I am going with Deathguard with the following list:

Malignant Plaguecaster - 110
10 Chaos Cultists w/hvy stubber - 44
5 Plaguemarines, 3 plasmaguns, powerfist - 146

300 exactly.

You can give your plague champion a plasma gun before anyone says anything.

Caster and plague marines are the core of the force. Cultists are for expendable bodies and objective sitting.

Thoughts?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

If you have the terrain to play Infinity correctly you can make a really rad 40k table.
If you have the terrain to play Infinity correctly, why would you want to play 40k? :v:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Corrode posted:

Yes, particularly buildings/impassable terrain that they can't just move through. Besides blocking LoS, it also forces them to deploy and move sub-optimally. Getting 50 Conscripts in range or 30 Orks into combat is a lot harder if there's chokepoints or whatever.

Exactly! You get cover for melee units, firing lines for ranged units, and a lot more of a focus on positioning and unit movement. Playing on Final Destination lets heavy gunlines demolish melee for half the game, then gets them uselessly swamped for the other half.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

GW's licensing team is at it again:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/22/warhammer-40000-in-world-of-tanksgw-homepage-post-2/

Wanna drive that Vindicator

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Thundercloud posted:

List advice.

My local store are starting an escalation campaign, and the first section is 300 points.

I am going with Deathguard with the following list:

Malignant Plaguecaster - 110
10 Chaos Cultists w/hvy stubber - 44
5 Plaguemarines, 3 plasmaguns, powerfist - 146

300 exactly.

You can give your plague champion a plasma gun before anyone says anything.

Caster and plague marines are the core of the force. Cultists are for expendable bodies and objective sitting.

Thoughts?

Looks pretty darn solid! Rapid-firing at 18" with that much plasma at 300pts should do a good number in most other MEq.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Pierzak posted:

If you have the terrain to play Infinity correctly, why would you want to play 40k? :v:
This guy gets it.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I found Infinity kind of tiresome but it's probably just because I was only trying it out half-heartedly.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Infinity looks like a neat game but nobody seems to play it locally and I personally find the miniatures sort of uninspiring. Definitely glad people like it though.

E: Like, conceptually I really like the Haqqislam stuff but in practice there's nothing that really grabs my imagination.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Corrode posted:

I found Infinity kind of tiresome but it's probably just because I was only trying it out half-heartedly.

It is most definitely not a game you can play half-heartedly, I find. It's maybe my favorite game, but it requires a lot more mental energy. I can't just beer and pretzels it when I am drunk or want to relax like I can with 40k.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd be a lot more excited about Infinity if my figures would stay glued together.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JoshTheStampede posted:

It is most definitely not a game you can play half-heartedly, I find. It's maybe my favorite game, but it requires a lot more mental energy. I can't just beer and pretzels it when I am drunk or want to relax like I can with 40k.

Yeah I was playing like once a month or so and barely knew what was happening which made it hard to keep focused on. Plus yeah like other people have said, the models don't really grab me - I had PanOceania stuff and there's a bunch of things which I find conceptually cool but nothing makes me go PAINT THIS RIGHT NOW.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
It's exaggerated in Primaris too - You can build a really lovely looking, fluffy army (Hell, the Dark Imperium box does it well) but it's frankly poo poo against anything blobby like IG/Orks/Nids, as you just cannot take them down hard enough, even with Redemptors/Repulsors. (your only massed dice)

Regular Space Marines suffer too, but not to the same extent.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
What's the correlation between points and power level? Generally higher points = higher power level, sure, but I was flipping through the inqusition section and noticed Coteaz is 4PL, 100 pts, and Grayfax is 5PL, 85 points and thought it was curious, why is that? Are different abilities weighted differently when accounting for power level / points?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Hot news from inside GW, Codex Jokaero is a thing that is real and my friend and is coming out in March, expect centerpiece 'Chimpus Enormicus' model to leak tonight.

In all seriousness Warhammer World is rad, time to panic attack about how I did in that interview for the next week.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Giant Isopod posted:

What's the correlation between points and power level? Generally higher points = higher power level, sure, but I was flipping through the inqusition section and noticed Coteaz is 4PL, 100 pts, and Grayfax is 5PL, 85 points and thought it was curious, why is that? Are different abilities weighted differently when accounting for power level / points?

Roughly 1 power = 20 points but some of the time powers just abitrarily higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Giant Isopod posted:

We don't know their math. Generally named characters will have a higher PL relative to their points than an equivalently-kitted generic character, becuase they have no options whereas units with options are PL'd based on the average, rather than the high or low ends of their scale.

It's very roughly 1PL=20 pts, so that 2000 pts games are about 100 PL. But that's very rough, and some units vary quite a lot.