Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Spiffness posted:

An invasive root kit affecting the power band

rip network traffic :[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
My friends and I all bought little bikes, we've been having a ton of fun. The guy riding the ds80 with no kickstand has an off road performance shop, so he unfucked all the carbs for us, some new levers on two of them and we were good. Did almost 30 miles according to my DR's trip odo haha.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Alright friends,

Yesterday when trying to be cool at motocross I pushed the front and flopped onto my upended handlebar-end. It poked through my jersey and ripped me from hip to nip.

Does anyone run those soft underjersey chest protectors? I've never liked the big plastic ones.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

shacked up with Brenda posted:

Alright friends,

Yesterday when trying to be cool at motocross I pushed the front and flopped onto my upended handlebar-end. It poked through my jersey and ripped me from hip to nip.

Does anyone run those soft underjersey chest protectors? I've never liked the big plastic ones.

I have a leatt 3df. I'm thinking about switching to their 5.5 for more plastic and protection on the sides (trade-off: it's hotter). I don't know if it'd help with something like that where your bar end is sort of coming from the side but it'd help if it hit you square in the chest. Anyway, 3df is good. Can confirm it holds up well.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Do you not have barends?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

builds character posted:

I have a leatt 3df. I'm thinking about switching to their 5.5 for more plastic and protection on the sides (trade-off: it's hotter). I don't know if it'd help with something like that where your bar end is sort of coming from the side but it'd help if it hit you square in the chest. Anyway, 3df is good. Can confirm it holds up well.

I have this TLD chest protector. The flexibility is great, nothing like giant roost guards of the 90s. A pitfall of this style is that they pickup a lot of sweat and get smelly. Revzilla covers the pros and cons of each model but it boils down to a tradeoff of protection and comfort. The shoulder protection works on mine but a branch hits my belly once and a while which sorta hurts. If you run a neck brace make sure it fits.

Edit:

New tires and a tubliss for the rear showed up today. I always forget how much knobbies wear down until I see new ones. Running a 19" rear offroad has been pinch-tube-city lately, hopefully the tubliss is an improvement.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 18, 2017

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Leatt 5.5 here.

I like my tubliss setup, peace of mind is great. Take your time on the install tubliss installand use plenty of soapy water as directed.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gullous posted:

New tires and a tubliss for the rear showed up today. I always forget how much knobbies wear down until I see new ones. Running a 19" rear offroad has been pinch-tube-city lately, hopefully the tubliss is an improvement.

I've got ~10 races on my tubliss rear set-up and I haven't run anything higher than 8psi. It's p great.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Slowmo shots from the weekend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOI2xvaxs1g&t=1s

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Those were really cool, nicely done.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Just trying to show off my powers, bro!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Had an awesome time at the J-Day Sprint Enduro Double Header.

Lots of racing recently. Had my best finish at the Tom Noble NETRA enduro (6th overall) a few weekends ago. J-Days I always do worse than NETRAs because it favors riding very fast for 10 minutes, instead of steady over many hours. That's not my strong suit, I did finish 24th OA (out of about 150) on Saturday and about 35th OA on Sunday at this J-Day, which is pretty good for me.

I have lots of video of the past month of riding too. I'll get it together sometime soon.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

My buddy recorded some tests from the first day of the sprint enduro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIOBxJ9PerE

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

My buddy recorded some tests from the first day of the sprint enduro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIOBxJ9PerE

How'd he end up finishing/how fast is that relative to everyone else?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

150 riders about, he finished ~26th that day, ~18th the next day. He's cumulatively about ~30s faster than me after 1hr of riding.

This is the 'C" class. He's a successful B rider from WNYOA series, but J-Day riders are very fast, so he registered down a class, and was happy he did.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Anyone in the PNW want to buy a WR450F?
https://wenatchee.craigslist.org/mcy/6305792982.html

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Buddy of mine was looking to sell his DRZ and get a WR450.

I'll do the needful and pass it along!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Since my last post I've done two NETRA scrambles and one J-Day sprint.

Three weeks ago was the Stateline scramble and got 9th OA. A friend summarizes his experience here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEzLAdl0fI8

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 19, 2017

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

kloa posted:

Buddy of mine was looking to sell his DRZ and get a WR450.

I'll do the needful and pass it along!

I might be into a trade, I'm dumb enough to own a DRZ twice. I've got a guy that wants to swap with a KLR, but I think his bike is worth about $500 less than mine so I'm probably going to pass.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My ttr is about 75% fixed and 75% of my dirt gear arrived, so I should be ready to hit some dirt soon. Anything I should know about riding OHV trails? Is it just unload and brap to your heart's content? My closed course riding has always been strictly regimented (trackdays), so being turned loose is a new thing to me.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

M42 posted:

My ttr is about 75% fixed and 75% of my dirt gear arrived, so I should be ready to hit some dirt soon. Anything I should know about riding OHV trails? Is it just unload and brap to your heart's content? My closed course riding has always been strictly regimented (trackdays), so being turned loose is a new thing to me.

Watch out for quads.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

builds character posted:

Watch out for quads.

*retard chariots

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

builds character posted:

Watch out for quads.

Primarily on uphills/muddy areas/anywhere rated higher than a green circle that still allows quads

Also bring a camelbak or other water, trail riding wears you out.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

M42 posted:

Serious response:

1. Ride with friends
2. Depending on the friends, it's sometimes fun to stop and section difficult stuff. Everyone gets off their bikes and supports another rider trying something stupid. People like different kinds of help, so before someone tries, ask them if they want you to grab their bike, or them, or what if poo poo hits the fan
3. All my trail riding is with racing buddies, so YMMV, but we ~*always*~ do drills before we ride. Full lock circles, Wheelie->Stoppie, Trying to ride a straight line with a locked from brake, figure 8s at speed, etc.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Serious response:

1. Ride with friends
2. Depending on the friends, it's sometimes fun to stop and section difficult stuff. Everyone gets off their bikes and supports another rider trying something stupid. People like different kinds of help, so before someone tries, ask them if they want you to grab their bike, or them, or what if poo poo hits the fan
3. All my trail riding is with racing buddies, so YMMV, but we ~*always*~ do drills before we ride. Full lock circles, Wheelie->Stoppie, Trying to ride a straight line with a locked from brake, figure 8s at speed, etc.

Watch out for quads was a serious response.

Bring a tow rope just in case.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Piggybacking here. Is there an official (or unofficial) etiquette for dirt recreation areas? I want to check some out, but I'm slow, inexperienced, and will probably be riding alone.
Yield to the faster rider behind you, I assume? Who yields when you meet on a hill, the rider going uphill or down? Is there a standard direction of travel, or is it any direction you want unless posted?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

The main point of etiquette I like to give is raising my hand with the corresponding number of followers behind me, with the next person doing n-1 and so on until the last person in the group throws up a closed fist indicating they're the last in the group.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Piggybacking here. Is there an official (or unofficial) etiquette for dirt recreation areas? I want to check some out, but I'm slow, inexperienced, and will probably be riding alone.
Yield to the faster rider behind you, I assume? Who yields when you meet on a hill, the rider going uphill or down? Is there a standard direction of travel, or is it any direction you want unless posted?

Don’t be a jerk? Uphill has the right of way. Generally stay to the right, particularly on wide open trails. Don’t go blasting around blind corners or rises like shacked up with Brenda and the quads do. It’s nice to yield, but if they’re really faster as long as you’re not swerving al over they’ll zip right by you. I always pull over, turn off the bike and stand behind it for horses, but my experience with horse riders has been neutral at best.

I’ve never ridden with enough people where we can’t just all see each other but if you’re going with someone else the faster person should either bring up the rear or wait every so often and then go back and check if you’re not coming.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I learned over the weekend in my first recreation area trip that groups of riders use hand signals to let you know how many people there are. The first rider will usually throw up the total number then the last will put up a closed fist to signify that they're the last person. Helpful for not yielding then waiting around forever for a rider that doesn't exist. Or, on the alternative, getting plastered by the last rider who is trying to catch up.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

thank ye folks :tipshat: can't wait to get this bike sorted and throw some roosts

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Hump the tank.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Roll into the fall

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

n8r posted:

Hump the tank.
vigorously?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I learned to hump the tank and crash like a pro at cornerspin 👌

M42
Nov 12, 2012

TTR runs now. Tires are from 05. What should I replace them with?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Tires from 17!

Serious comment:
Match your tires to the terrain you're riding, categorized as soft, intermediate, or hard packed. Intermediate is a safe bet unless you're exclusively riding sand/mud or some Utah rocky stuff. On a TTR I'd get whatever is on sale, but I've bounced between bridestone x40 and dunlop mx52s.

More reading
http://www.motosport.com/blog/the-difference-between-soft-intermediate-and-hard-terrain-dirt-bike-tires

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 26, 2017

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Thank ye. Most areas around me are probably for intermediate tires so that works!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

M42 posted:

Thank ye. Most areas around me are probably for intermediate tires so that works!

To provide a more opinionated and regional response:

Everyone in NETRA (north east enduros and hare scrambles) uses a MT16 rear (must buy the 120) and a M59 front. Everyone. From lowly C backmarkers to AA and sponsored riders.

Everyone.

New England terrain is sand/mud/roots/boulders. If you're riding in the desert or loamy areas without roots and rocks, perhaps not the best.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Is a 90->120 profile jump even possible though 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I run Kenda K760s for dirt bike tires on my mini

http://www.ebay.com/itm/202033103312