Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

TheRat posted:

How to brick a starforge with style:

(from reddit)

Boy fuckity that is a brick. Too bad about the links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

in a roundabout way we're almost back to those days

everyone is a wander

I built a blade flurry character following a guide with several million dps (90% phys to ele conversion with crit/frenzy charges is op, so many +40-50% more damage gems combined with 40% WED on jewelery) and everything was dieing instantly, even bosses only lasted a few seconds, so I started going for aoe to increase clear speed, adding the aoe gem, aoe nodes near scion start, aoe head enchant instead of damage. It worked and everything still died instantly apart from bosses which still died in a couple seconds, it wasn't even worth swapping the increased aoe gem for concentrated effect for bosses, because in the 3 seconds I did that I could have just got the boss to half hp.

But then I realised I was basically just a wander with a much shorter range, I could clear a fifth of the screen with one second of attacking, but a wander could clear a third of the screen, aswell a third of the next screen over that they couldn't even see. Wanders still kill bosses in several seconds with barrage, so I wasn't really sure what the benefit of going melee is.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Applebee123 posted:

I built a blade flurry character following a guide with several million dps (90% phys to ele conversion with crit/frenzy charges is op, so many +40-50% more damage gems combined with 40% WED on jewelery) and everything was dieing instantly, even bosses only lasted a few seconds, so I started going for aoe to increase clear speed, adding the aoe gem, aoe nodes near scion start, aoe head enchant instead of damage. It worked and everything still died instantly apart from bosses which still died in a couple seconds, it wasn't even worth swapping the increased aoe gem for concentrated effect for bosses, because in the 3 seconds I did that I could have just got the boss to half hp.

But then I realised I was basically just a wander with a much shorter range, I could clear a fifth of the screen with one second of attacking, but a wander could clear a third of the screen, aswell a third of the next screen over that they couldn't even see. Wanders still kill bosses in several seconds with barrage, so I wasn't really sure what the benefit of going melee is.

barrage feels bad to kill bosses with imo

flurry is easier to optimize for damage and much cheaper to get into since wanders are meta as gently caress

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Jazerus posted:

izaro has a lot going on at once, but once you know what all of it is, he's surprisingly predictable and avoidable compared to a lot of bosses

Izaro with a totem hierophant is surprisingly easy once you understand the pattern. Run in a circle, dropping AoE totems (I used Glacial Cascade) outside whatever gimmick he's currently on, chug potions like you're an alcoholic about to go into rehab tomorrow, be surprised when the fight ends because you never actually ran your mouse pointer over him.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Oh God, why did I wait so long to start using a loot filter? :negative:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Self loathing?

cnice
Apr 6, 2017

NofrikinfuN posted:

How can anyone know what a loot filter is and not get one? Why would you punish yourself...

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
The default loot filter should be on by default, to be honest.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

[quote="“cnice”" post="“476638806”"]
How can anyone know what a loot filter is and not get one? Why would you punish yourself...
[/quote]

I thought i was still handling it quickly enough. Then came the sextant modded 500% quantity from strongboxes maps with a breach and augh.

Really though, this filter is great.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Someone tell me Doomfletch Prism Mines is a stupid idea before I go and waste several hours leveling one up and then hating myself for making another lovely character this league.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

whypick1 posted:

Someone tell me Doomfletch Prism Mines is a stupid idea before I go and waste several hours leveling one up and then hating myself for making another lovely character this league.

I spent 10+ ex and leveled to 80 before realizing how terrible it is. It is terrible.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

NofrikinfuN posted:

i waited for like half of my first league before getting one and then made a similar post

Cobra-Commander
Jun 15, 2015
The best way to get items is to parade a female on twitch and get handed thousands of hours worth of farming free by horny nerds.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

whypick1 posted:

I found doomfletch miner incredibly fun and powerful. It has the clear style of say Vaal Power Siphon (it deletes the entire screen) and everything offscreen. I'm running a high quality enfeeble, and felt pretty survivable with flasks up, even when I was on 4.5k hp.

Make sure you use the numlock trick, which simulates you holding shift all the time.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I spent 10+ ex and leveled to 80 before realizing how terrible it is. It is terrible.

Phobophilia posted:

I found doomfletch miner incredibly fun and powerful.

...goddammit.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I am wearing some baller gear though: a +1 arrows drillneck, a +2 tornado shot secondary projectiles hat, a 6L doomfletch with perfect +phys and +crit, and an ursa yriel's fostering. And I have a bisco's and two warden's brands, meaning that I had to distribute my remaining resistances over 4 pieces of rare gear. That was quite difficult, but I did manage to do a perfect wise oak balance.

I used to wear coated shrapnel jewels, but I've switched them out for life + mine laying speed + damage jewels. Mine laying speed is equivalent to attack speed, and hence behaves like a more multiplier. I can lay mines ~3.1 times/second, each lay drops 3 mines, each mine fires 7 primary arrows, each arrow releases 5 secondary arrows. While this build falls into the clearer speed meta, it can do bosses and breaches quite handily. Pop vaal clarity, drop your detonate mines totem, mash your lay mine key, and you pump out a silly amount of projectiles.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
He is much better geared than I was to be sure. Make of that what you will. In my experience the build was super fragile and I found the delay in laying mines before killing things very deadly to me.

I will say the action when it goes off was very satisfying though. But I am reeeally enjoying my well tuned golem build now though.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Awesome! posted:

i waited for like half of my first league before getting one and then made a similar post

I guess I was afraid I would filter something and not realize it. Turns out, having a thousand things on the ground and only a hundred listed is much worse in that regard.

Now I will never miss a Scroll of Wisdom again.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

NofrikinfuN posted:

I guess I was afraid I would filter something and not realize it. Turns out, having a thousand things on the ground and only a hundred listed is much worse in that regard.

:shobon:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

Don't pick up every scroll you see. You can easily get handfuls of them just by vendoring off stacks of Whetstones at 4:1

Phobophilia posted:

I am wearing some baller gear though: a +1 arrows drillneck, a +2 tornado shot secondary projectiles hat, a 6L doomfletch with perfect +phys and +crit, and an ursa yriel's fostering. And I have a bisco's and two warden's brands, meaning that I had to distribute my remaining resistances over 4 pieces of rare gear. That was quite difficult, but I did manage to do a perfect wise oak balance.

I used to wear coated shrapnel jewels, but I've switched them out for life + mine laying speed + damage jewels. Mine laying speed is equivalent to attack speed, and hence behaves like a more multiplier. I can lay mines ~3.1 times/second, each lay drops 3 mines, each mine fires 7 primary arrows, each arrow releases 5 secondary arrows. While this build falls into the clearer speed meta, it can do bosses and breaches quite handily. Pop vaal clarity, drop your detonate mines totem, mash your lay mine key, and you pump out a silly amount of projectiles.

Yeah...if I were to liquidate everything I could get the 6L Doomfletch...and that's about it. :sigh:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You can probably wear a corrupted 6L rare chest, I often forgot to summon my koala, and I still pumped out plenty of damage. That saves having to link up a unique.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Don't vendor Whetstones. Those are used to make chisels. Vendor Transmutes and Scraps instead.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Don't pick up transmutes vor scraps. Also don't do the chisel recipe unless you are really poor.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

My 4 free tabs are full of armourer scraps please somebody help.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

My 4 free tabs are full of armourer scraps please somebody help.

convert them into another currency

edit: or better yet, buy a currency tab in the sale

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 22, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Currency tab is a requirement to enjoy the game past a certain point if you become a hoarder, my entire stash would be filled with chaos orbs and alterations alone without it.

I'm trying to cut down hoarding things and freeing up tabs instead of letting them fill with maps I'll never run and whatnot, but it's hard to figure out what to do with a bunch of random maps that don't come in 3's.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I've decided to pretty much abandon my Lightning Strike Duelist as being non viable. I've spent the last few days at level 73 and I'm not getting away from it. Why? Because my max life is a hair over 2K and my tooltip DPS is ~10K. Maybe I can farm Act 10 with that character for Chaos orbs when I need them, but for the most part, that character cannot continue on past tier 3 or 4 maps comfortably. Turns out evasion doesn't work as well near the end of the game. I may try Iron Will to convert all that evasion to damage reduction, but... ehhhhh... Whatever. No skin off my back. It was my first character and it did alright.

My buddy has agreed to start again with me. We've basically swapped roles in the hopes that we can help each other avoid the mistakes of the past. He's going with a face-tank Marauder, and I'm starting off with Freezing Pulse on a Witch. I'm starting to see why he was so confused as to why he couldn't help me. This is his first time off the northern end of the sphere grid, and this is my first time off the southern end. It turns out your gem layouts matter a LOT more when you're using spells than when you're just attacking, even with attack skills. He's recommending that I get a Tabula Rasa and he's convinced that robe is specifically designed to make second playthroughs easier at early levels. I agree with him. Six-links are hard to come by early-game. But that's a hair more expensive than I can currently afford, especially after I spent a bunch on orbs of regret in a desperate effort to fix my Duelist.

NofrikinfuN posted:

I took the time to make my own filter, and I'm actually pretty happy with it, but stealing the code that hides "obsolete" gear (that is, gear whose item level is too far from its drop level) from another filter is what brought it from "interesting" to "actually useful", and even then I feel like I might make it even more strict in the future.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 22, 2017

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Inglonias posted:

I've decided to pretty much abandon my Lightning Strike Duelist as being non viable. I've spent the last few days at level 73 and I'm not getting away from it. Why? Because my max life is a hair over 2K and my tooltip DPS is ~10K.

What did you do

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vasudus posted:

What did you do

Probably nothing. :v:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Inglonias posted:

I've decided to pretty much abandon my Lightning Strike Duelist as being non viable. I've spent the last few days at level 73 and I'm not getting away from it. Why? Because my max life is a hair over 2K and my tooltip DPS is ~10K. Maybe I can farm Act 10 with that character for Chaos orbs when I need them, but for the most part, that character cannot continue on past tier 3 or 4 maps comfortably. Turns out evasion doesn't work as well near the end of the game. I may try Iron Will to convert all that evasion to damage reduction, but... ehhhhh... Whatever. No skin off my back. It was my first character and it did alright.

Don't write off evasion altogether. Evasion can work very well on certain characters (ranged, pets, and totems in particular, where you take fewer hits in general and have distractions to protect you.

But an eva-based character needs a big HP pool for when the dice don't go your way, and goddamn. 2K life is hideously low, I can't imagine how you made it to 73 without being absolutely miserable. I just started a ranger who's level 42 and has 1900 life, and it feels too low.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Dude... you need like 4k life to map comfortably. Levelling with that low life must have been horrendous, tell us your /deaths count for kicks please.

cnice
Apr 6, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Currency tab is a requirement to enjoy the game past a certain point if you become a hoarder, my entire stash would be filled with chaos orbs and alterations alone without it.

I'm trying to cut down hoarding things and freeing up tabs instead of letting them fill with maps I'll never run and whatnot, but it's hard to figure out what to do with a bunch of random maps that don't come in 3's.

It's hard to remember the time before currency tab was a thing even though it wasn't that long ago. I still have screenshots/standard tabs from before and my stash was a goddamn mess.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

cnice posted:

It's hard to remember the time before currency tab was a thing even though it wasn't that long ago. I still have screenshots/standard tabs from before and my stash was a goddamn mess.

It wouldn't be so bad if not for the arbitrary stack sizes. 200 Alteration Orbs takes 10 spaces unless you buy the Currency tab, then it takes 1/25th of a single space. If you math it out, that currency tab probably has the same value as at least 5+ tabs, assuming you hoard currency. (The most important hoard.)

If I had a tab to stack basic maps and map related items, my hoarding game would be so smooth.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Steelmage won a league as kinetic blast miner saboteur in 2.4 or something like that. Doomfletch mines isnt too different from that.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

An atlas tab, here we see 5,896 arcades next we press the upgrade button and mash the arcades.

I guess for this to work it'd have to convert all maps to white but that shouldn't be a problem for low tier maps.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

pixaal posted:

An atlas tab, here we see 5,896 arcades next we press the upgrade button and mash the arcades.

I guess for this to work it'd have to convert all maps to white but that shouldn't be a problem for low tier maps.

I think I remember them talking about it in the past. They cant really do tabs like that for anything that isn't currency, because non-currency items all have unique id's and cant be stacked.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

[quote="“pixaal”" post="“476647769”"]

I guess for this to work it’d have to convert all maps to white but that shouldn’t be a problem for low tier maps.
[/quote]

Yeah, pretty much just the essence tab for maps would be fine. Spaces for Offerings, sacrifices, etc. Maybe a few catch all spots to store magic or higher maps. I hate playing match 3 with a pile of maps to clear space.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Budgie posted:

Dude... you need like 4k life to map comfortably. Levelling with that low life must have been horrendous, tell us your /deaths count for kicks please.

Death count stands at a little over 300. Just checked yesterday. Death count as of completing Act 10 was 202. (The person I completed the game with had a count somewhere closer to 150) I have zero context for how bad those counts were though. This was my first character. I just assumed that dying so much was part of the game. Heck, I didn't even realize that you needed to worry about elemental resist so much until I died something like 10 or 20 times fighting the Brine King in Act 6 (which I did realize was not supposed to happen).

Vasudus posted:

What did you do

My major mistake was going for attack speed and evasion rating above everything else while leveling. I figured my attack speed would help my DPS more than damage boosting would. I was wrong. But not completely. At around level 40, I picked up a Thief's Torment ring, and wore it basically until the end of the game. Getting 50 life each time I hit something (and I hit everything in front of me with Lightning Strike about 3 or 4 times a second) saved my life most of all. I had fun, and that's all that matters.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Don't write off evasion altogether. Evasion can work very well on certain characters (ranged, pets, and totems in particular, where you take fewer hits in general and have distractions to protect you.

But an eva-based character needs a big HP pool for when the dice don't go your way, and goddamn. 2K life is hideously low, I can't imagine how you made it to 73 without being absolutely miserable. I just started a ranger who's level 42 and has 1900 life, and it feels too low.

I know that now, thanks. I've got a ranger meant for solo play that is currently level 30, and I'm finding the game a heck of a lot easier this time around. Hopefully that turns out a little better.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Inglonias posted:

Death count stands at a little over 300. Just checked yesterday. Death count as of completing Act 10 was 202. (The person I completed the game with had a count somewhere closer to 150) I have zero context for how bad those counts were though. This was my first character. I just assumed that dying so much was part of the game. Heck, I didn't even realize that you needed to worry about elemental resist so much until I died something like 10 or 20 times fighting the Brine King in Act 6 (which I did realize was not supposed to happen).

202 on completing act 10 is probably not that bad, because I'm going to assume like 90% of it comes from just spawn-rushing bosses? Having said that, you should definitely get more life. The game gets a lot more enjoyable when you don't get oneshot every other minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Inglonias posted:

My major mistake was going for attack speed and evasion rating above everything else while leveling. I figured my attack speed would help my DPS more than damage boosting would. I was wrong. But not completely. At around level 40, I picked up a Thief's Torment ring, and wore it basically until the end of the game. Getting 50 life each time I hit something (and I hit everything in front of me with Lightning Strike about 3 or 4 times a second) saved my life most of all. I had fun, and that's all that matters.

I know that now, thanks. I've got a ranger meant for solo play that is currently level 30, and I'm finding the game a heck of a lot easier this time around. Hopefully that turns out a little better.

Have you considered following a guide at least once so you have an idea have what to shoot for?