Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Klyith posted:

I honestly think Uber's goal is to become too big to fail before ever turning a profit.

Well their original goal (once they started seriously expanding through VC) was they thought they could replace every taxi service and then most limo and bus services first nationwide and then worldwide just by losing enough money on fares to start...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

fishmech posted:

Well their original goal (once they started seriously expanding through VC) was they thought they could replace every taxi service and then most limo and bus services first nationwide and then worldwide just by losing enough money on fares to start...

If your plan can be summarised as "step 1: worldwide takeover, step 2: ???, step 3 PROFIT!!!" you should reconsider.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

blowfish posted:

If your plan can be summarised as "step 1: worldwide takeover, step 2: ???, step 3 PROFIT!!!" you should reconsider.

uber is disrupting business plans themselves. you can't handle how much disruption. time and space itself bends

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

blowfish posted:

The problem is that occasionally (Amazon) it works. They were losing money for years, IIRC. So everybody looks at that one perfect unicorn and assume their company will be just the same.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol at Jeff Bezos becoming swole though

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The problem is that occasionally (Amazon) it works. They were losing money for years, IIRC. So everybody looks at that one perfect unicorn and assume their company will be just the same.

Amazon is funny because they kept quietly not making money but they had measurably just more things to buy easily which is important for a retailer. It was not a good site, at first, but they kept plugging and somehow managed to survive the pop that ate up stuff like pets.com. It's also interesting/possibly meaningful that their overall sales really took off just a bit after they decided to launch the thing that gives valid .edu email addresses a free year of Prime (and the associated free 2-day shipping).

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
coding sucks

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Amazon was always in the position that they could pull one or two of their expansion investments and be making a profit. That was like the whole reason they started with ONLY BOOKS and then it was ONLY BOOKS AND DVD/VHS and so on, they decided to optimize one category at a time and go relatively low risk and most importantly low shipping cost (for them).

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Shugojin posted:

Amazon is funny because they kept quietly not making money but they had measurably just more things to buy easily which is important for a retailer. It was not a good site, at first, but they kept plugging and somehow managed to survive the pop that ate up stuff like pets.com. It's also interesting/possibly meaningful that their overall sales really took off just a bit after they decided to launch the thing that gives valid .edu email addresses a free year of Prime (and the associated free 2-day shipping).

The difference between them and pets.com is that they weren't selling at a loss. Amazon wasn't making money because as fishmech says, they were investing it all back into improving the company. Other startups tend to forget that part.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

feedmegin posted:

I'm just saying this is nothing to raise an eyebrow at, and chances are Rogue Wave didn't actually write those tests themselves, they just used automake and friends like everyone else :shobon:

They probably didn't use GNU autotools due to the GPL, and the fact that they would've resulted in at least an LGPL requirement for Rogue Wave's main product.

Back in the 1980s-1990s there were many packages that worked similarly to autotools for feature detection. It was a common need when there were a variety of UNIX (and non-UNIX) environments around with very different compiler different feature sets. (Is int 16 or 32 bits? Does register actually have any effect? Do pointers have extra constraints like being marked NEAR?)

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

fishmech posted:

Amazon was always in the position that they could pull one or two of their expansion investments and be making a profit. That was like the whole reason they started with ONLY BOOKS and then it was ONLY BOOKS AND DVD/VHS and so on, they decided to optimize one category at a time and go relatively low risk and most importantly low shipping cost (for them).

They even did this one quarter when I was there - they slowed growth to shove EPS to $1.35+ when it normally was around $1 just to appease investors. Was pretty lovely to not have budget for a quarter just to make Wall Street happy.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

I'm not following you. Could you expand on this, maybe with an analogy to farming or goats?

duz posted:

The difference between them and pets.com is that they weren't selling at a loss. Amazon wasn't making money because as fishmech says, they were investing it all back into improving the company. Other startups tend to forget that part.

Isn't Twitter in that situation? If they weren't trying to chase their insane valuation by dumping massive amounts into R&D, they could quietly make money now?

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Harik posted:

I'm not following you. Could you expand on this, maybe with an analogy to farming or goats?
i'm not your circus pony bithc

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

the old ceremony posted:

i'm not your circus pony bithc

By far the worst C compiler.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

eschaton posted:

They probably didn't use GNU autotools due to the GPL, and the fact that they would've resulted in at least an LGPL requirement for Rogue Wave's main product.
There's something I've completely forgotten -- when approximately did the tipover start happening from companies saying "can't use anything open-source, the license has cooties" to open-source being routinely used in production software?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There's something I've completely forgotten -- when approximately did the tipover start happening from companies saying "can't use anything open-source, the license has cooties" to open-source being routinely used in production software?

When RMS went batshit, created GPLv3 and everyone switched to BSD-like licenses instead.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
No it was in 1998 when Marc Andreesen and Tim O'Reilly decided they could get rich off unpaid programmer labor.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

but amazon was "step 1: build solid basic business (books and things), step 2: all profits get used to grow the company (gently caress shareholders, as god intended), step 3: even more profits (have you seen my private spaceship?)"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Gazpacho posted:

No it was in 1998 when Marc Andreesen and Tim O'Reilly decided they could get rich off unpaid programmer labor.

a little earlier than that, 1994-1996, as large numbers of companies spun up using commodity hardware with Linux and httpd and Perl

there was a previous wave in the 1980s as all the workstation vendors adopted the BSD additions to UNIX (primarily for TCP/IP & sockets), Sun RPC and NFS, and a little later X11, Perl, and Tcl/Tk & expect

after the fact, around 1997-1998, Eric Raymond popularized the term "Open Source" to cover both reasonable licenses like MIT and BSD as well as restrictive licenses like GPL, intentionally moving the Overton window on GPL advocates who had been trying to frame anything non-GPL as "proprietary"

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there's nothing magical or novel about Amazon going with a low-margin/high-volume or market share oriented strategy.
what's unusual is that its shareholders (and more generally, tech investors) are willing to wait years to see even the faintest glimpse of profitability.

we see something similar with Netflix where old school studios and media companies have groused that Netflix investors are giving it a pass on throwing tons of debt at new content, but old media would be punished by investors if they tried the same.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

eschaton posted:

a little earlier than that, 1994-1996, as large numbers of companies spun up using commodity hardware with Linux and httpd and Perl

there was a previous wave in the 1980s as all the workstation vendors adopted the BSD additions to UNIX (primarily for TCP/IP & sockets), Sun RPC and NFS, and a little later X11, Perl, and Tcl/Tk & expect

after the fact, around 1997-1998, Eric Raymond popularized the term "Open Source" to cover both reasonable licenses like MIT and BSD as well as restrictive licenses like GPL, intentionally moving the Overton window on GPL advocates who had been trying to frame anything non-GPL as "proprietary"

please don't bring up esr ever

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
As the baffler article explains, all those precedents have only accidental relevance to open sores becoming an ideology that businesspeople were willing to actively promote.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Lol open sores

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

quote:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-41358640

Uber London licence not renewed

Uber will not be issued a new private hire license, Transport for London has said.
TfL has concluded the ride-hailing app firm was not fit and proper to hold a private hire operator licence.
This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 22, 2017

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
but money doesn't

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cicero posted:

but money doesn't

But money is the devil!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Anyone that could read a set of accounts could see that Amazon were never actually losing money as such - the book value of assets was always growing, they were cash flow positive outside of plowing the cash back into expansion and accquisitions, the business plan was solid and it has always been a company with an eye to the future. Amazon really was never a unicorn, it was a properly run business that understood how to make money and then take over the marketplace with that money - wether or not it did it in the Internet didnt matter, the foundations and fundamentals were always strong.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/qz/status/911199845360291842

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

Coming from academia as a Stanford professor, Thrun sees people leave his research lab every year. He sees it as a good thing—a different model for employment where people aren’t expected to stay at a job long term.

I feel sorry for this man and his case of Stockholm syndrome.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

blowfish posted:

I feel sorry for this man and his case of Stockholm syndrome.

Stanford is a dump for the most toxic of humans.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Why is he grabbing that dog by the throat? Is the going to liberate it? :ohdear:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Randler posted:

Why is he grabbing that dog by the throat? Is the going to liberate it? :ohdear:

He's going to liberate its soul from the profane flesh that has shackled it

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Condiv posted:

He's going to liberate its soul from the profane flesh that has shackled it

You need a hammer for that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is that the same guy who goes to his meetings in roller skates?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Anyone that could read a set of accounts could see that Amazon were never actually losing money as such - the book value of assets was always growing, they were cash flow positive outside of plowing the cash back into expansion and accquisitions, the business plan was solid and it has always been a company with an eye to the future. Amazon really was never a unicorn, it was a properly run business that understood how to make money and then take over the marketplace with that money - wether or not it did it in the Internet didnt matter, the foundations and fundamentals were always strong.

What about the early period when they were writing off free shipping as a marketing cost?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

quote:

People come work with me and for me, and trust in me that I make the best use of their time. I’ve seen numerous occasions when it didn’t work, they’re unhappy, they feel micromanaged, and you can tell they’re not spending the time well,” Thrun said. “It’s my moral obligation in that situation, if it can’t be reversed and I can’t resolve it, to literally relieve this person of the burden of having to work for me, and help them find a better home.”

...at least he's honest?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Gazpacho posted:

That was very informative. Thank you.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Anyone that could read a set of accounts could see that Amazon were never actually losing money as such - the book value of assets was always growing, they were cash flow positive outside of plowing the cash back into expansion and accquisitions, the business plan was solid and it has always been a company with an eye to the future.

That sounds great but you're using 20/20 hindsight to pick winners between Amazon and Uber. A lot of unicorns fit that pattern. Book value is particularly untrustworthy, Uber's book value is 5 billion or whatever insane number they claim these days. Even if you're not playing games with VC accounting, book value tends to assess intangibles that only hold up if your company is successful.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Non Serviam posted:

In the book Disrupted
Finally got around to reading this and want to recommend it to anyone who likes this thread or the Silicon Valley TV show. Older out-of-work tech journalist gets hired at Hubspot in 2013 and reports back (and then goes on to write for Silicon Valley).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Klyith posted:

That sounds great but you're using 20/20 hindsight to pick winners between Amazon and Uber. A lot of unicorns fit that pattern. Book value is particularly untrustworthy, Uber's book value is 5 billion or whatever insane number they claim these days. Even if you're not playing games with VC accounting, book value tends to assess intangibles that only hold up if your company is successful.

from what i've read it seems clear that amazon at least always had the possibility of being profitable even if they were borderline with their aggressive investments in infrastructure and shady startup accounting. uber hasn't ever been profitable and it can't be profitable unless it starts seriously raising its rates which would just accelerate the death spiral because uber has a kajillion competitors where amazon really only had a handful