Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Hate-Senpai posted:

I know the connection is BLOWING MY loving MIND.

Christ if Oda actually does this??????

I guess just be on the lookout for a suspicious hammer, because that would almost have to guarantee it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Spanish Matlock posted:

I kind of feel like Carrot should be the one to defeat Katakuri because rabbits pound mochi.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gear Fourth would be a disappointing conclusion to the fight because like everyone says this is a incredibly strong guy with a more powerful(basically) version of Luffy's fruit. It'd be weird for Oda to set up such a similar power intentionally but then have it be overcome the same way Luffy overcomes everything. Then again King Kong Gun is so loving dope I wouldn't mind if it was the conclusion because Luffy would have to strategise how to hit the guy who can predict the future with his fight finisher. I can only assume he gets Katakuri into a Robin docking situation where he refuses to do something undignified.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Luffy breaks the mirror world in half.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I know we've moved away from favourite panels but I just wanna post one

So much to love here:

- "Cut it!" "Sure."
- The marines reactions
- Luffy on the roof of the train looking like "hell yeah my nakama are the poo poo"
- Zoro looking cool as gently caress

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cat Machine posted:

I know we've moved away from favourite panels but I just wanna post one

So much to love here:

- "Cut it!" "Sure."
- The marines reactions
- Luffy on the roof of the train looking like "hell yeah my nakama are the poo poo"
- Zoro looking cool as gently caress

I always love it when Zoro does something badass / crazy and mooks are like, "Are you sure this guy isn't the captain of the Straw Hats?"

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
This seems like a perfect opportunity for Luffy to use his idiot mode like he did with Enel. Part of the problem with dogtooth is he's seeing Luffy's moves before he makes them, right? So just go to stupid mode again and there you have it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

This seems like a perfect opportunity for Luffy to use his idiot mode like he did with Enel. Part of the problem with dogtooth is he's seeing Luffy's moves before he makes them, right? So just go to stupid mode again and there you have it.

No it's different. Think of Enel like mindreading, he couldn't red Luffy's moves because even Luffy didn't know them. Katakuri is seeing the actual future so he'll see where the fists actually are regardless of if Luffy knows or not. They both start from the same base ability though so perhaps, this was also my first thought! Perhaps "yes you're right if you do that there's nothing I can do" is a foreshadowing to how Luffy has to win the fight by doing something that it doesn't matter if Katakuri sees coming he can't avoid or stop.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hate-Senpai posted:

I always love it when Zoro does something badass / crazy and mooks are like, "Are you sure this guy isn't the captain of the Straw Hats?"

It owns so hard, I love when he beats Hody underwater. I appreciate Usopp and Nami having those moments where they overcome their fears for the crew but I just love the moments where Luffy gives Zoro a Herculean task and they're both just like nbd about it because there's that much faith.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Zoro taking on the entire group of Baroque Works operatives is still one of my favorite action scenes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He just so utterly outclasses them.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This iron claw panel is my favorite panel from the entire fight.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I also really like this part

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

#DontMakeCarrotCry2017

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jinbei loving owns

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
He was a decent surrogate Zoro in this chapter I guess

Sushi Face
Oct 11, 2006

Tastes like funk
I want the bunny lady to kill the candy man.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like how Katakuri decided to improve the Gatling move by actually having multiple fists.

It seems like the way to beat him wouldn't be somehow becoming simply stronger, but somehow finding something creative that rubber can do but mochi can't... not that I have any good ideas for what that could be.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Mochi probably can't inflate like rubber can.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pureauthor posted:

yeah but it's hard to think of a way to actually use that to win

balloon is a defensive move or a set up not an actual attack

also gear 3rd uses inflation and we just saw how effective that was

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Hate-Senpai posted:

He just so utterly outclasses them.

my favorite part of that whole sequence is that luffy awakes to fight zoro because he literally could not conceptualize that someone who gave him food would be a bad guy

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe we'll see the return of Mizu Luffy.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

OldTennisCourt posted:

Blackbeard is Evil Luffy

So is Gecko Moria, given that Moria was broken by the defeat and death of his crew and wants to help protect the few who remain, is more concerned with his dream than treasure, dreams of being the Pirate King and so on. There's probably several "evil" Luffys within the story, depending on what traits of his you want to concentrate on. Being a dark analogue of the main character doesn't really mean much on it's own.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

what's everyone's bets/hopes on next nakama
I know Jinbei already basically joined but I'm hoping he dies for dramatic purposes this arc. Sorry, not sorry. He's a cool character, but I'm good. It's been too set up anyway.

There's no way Jinbe is dying. The last time someone close to Luffy died, he went in to a catatonic state and he decided the entire crew need to disband and train for 2 years as a result of it. His explicitly stated goal in doing so was that he wanted to be strong enough to protect even his weaker friends and that he wasn't going to let anyone else die again. If Jinbe dies and he doesn't feel he's failed, reacting appropriately it implies that he no longer gives a poo poo about being strong enough to protect everyone, or that he didn't care about protecting Jinbe in the first place. Neither of which is likely to happen. It'd be like Nami or Usopp dying at this point really.

Hell, last chapter when he thought Pedro had died he basically isolated himself from the rest of the crew and decided to take on the guy that was primarily standing in their way in a "no going back" manner, and he has a more transient relationship with Pedro than he does with Jinbe, the guy who helped him get over his brother's death among other things.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

jimbei has almost no personality other than no-nonsense

i guess the same could be said about robin though

It could also be said about Zoro. Being a straight man does not preclude you from having personality or being fun in your own right. Robin and Zoro displayed more primarily because they had the time and focus to do so over the course of multiple arcs featuring them. Jinbe will almost certainly do the same once he gets more face time.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That's my one concern with Jinbei, he has the Inherited Will thing covered with Fisher Tiger, but he has no spoken dream or goal other than making Luffy the Pirate King which doesn't really count. He's earned his spot on the crew and honored Fisher Tiger by giving blood to save Luffy, I just hope Oda has more planned for him that what we've seen so far.

I don't recall if Jinbe ever had a panel where he laid out his dream in a concise and definite manner, but he very obviously wants to improve Fishman-Human relations and help free Fishman Island of the stigma it has in much of human society. His entire backstory and relation to multiple characters like Fisher Tiger, Arlong, Hody and Otohime revolves around this thread. I think he also said one of the reasons he was joining Luffy was because he would help resolve that problem at some point. Hell, the reason he worked for Big Mom is pretty obviously because she was protecting Fishman Island for a time, even if it was with caveats and now Luffy has stated he'll claim it as his territory. Which is why Jinbe is leaving Big Mom for him really.

Lpzie posted:

Please recall that Oda wanted A** to be the first death in OP. That's why Pell had to survive. It's fair game now.

Not really. Oda has also said that he doesn't want death to be a big thing in One Piece and that's why Luffy destroys his enemies dreams instead of killing him, and that he doesn't intend to age the comic along with it's starting or core audience. Besides that, Perespero wasn't even particularly inconvenienced by Pedro's sacrifice and was down for less than a chapter, and the only thing it achieved was freeing the Thousand Sunny from an immediate problem but the characters still face the same overall problem of escaping from Big Mom and her forces. If his sacrifice didn't even free them of any ongoing problems or kill the guy he wanted to kill there's no way he's dead.

RealFoxy posted:

Zoro is probably a whole lot stronger than Sanji post timeskip which is fine because Zoro offers no real utility to the crew besides being the second strongest fighter. It's okay for Sanji to take the backseat to cook now.

The idea of Sanji being just a little weaker than Zoro isn't really dependent on their utility within the crew; it's dependent on their interactions and ongoing rivalry. They constantly bicker and compare themselves to each other, so Sanji becoming explicitly weaker removes that element of their relationship.

Kingtheninja posted:

I kind of forgot we used to flip when chapters were out "early" on Thursdays.

I kind of vaguely recall that the chapters didn't release for a while to Saturday, because One Piece had lower priority than Naruto and Bleach to a lot of people.

Hate-Senpai posted:

I know the connection is BLOWING MY loving MIND.

Christ if Oda actually does this??????

What makes you think there's even a remote possibility of him doing it?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Did you see the last spread? It totally can.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Katakuri is such a cool fight to end on. It makes sense that Luffy takes out the strongest commander, an opponent just below an Emperor and one who basically has his power but stronger and his next real victory is over Kaidou so the gap seems really believable.

I just want to know how his goddamn power works though, is he an awakened paramecia, is he like Trebol? What is the deal behind his fruit working like a Logia.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Looks to me that he's made of mochi the same way Luffy is made of rubber. Mochi is just way more pliable, so it makes him seem like a logia.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Asuron posted:

Katakuri is such a cool fight to end on. It makes sense that Luffy takes out the strongest commander, an opponent just below an Emperor and one who basically has his power but stronger and his next real victory is over Kaidou so the gap seems really believable.

Not really, because if he can beat Kaidou only a few days after beating Katakuri there's no reason he couldn't have beaten Big Mom a few days later too. If he beats Kaidou first it also means any fight with Big Mom is going to be lesser, because even Big Mom shows apprehension about Kaidou and all mentions of him in this arc have made him seem more of a threat than Big Mom. And he does have to beat her, else he can't claim Fishman Island.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

alkanphel posted:

That was my favourite part of the Davy Back Fight.

I still say the Groggy Monsters is one of the best fights in one piece, full stop

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

tsob posted:

Not really, because if he can beat Kaidou only a few days after beating Katakuri there's no reason he couldn't have beaten Big Mom a few days later too. If he beats Kaidou first it also means any fight with Big Mom is going to be lesser, because even Big Mom shows apprehension about Kaidou and all mentions of him in this arc have made him seem more of a threat than Big Mom. And he does have to beat her, else he can't claim Fishman Island.

Dude

He is not beating her here.

When they escape her, when they are literally out of her territory and he hasn't beat her, will you finally concede you were wrong?

The story is heading in the direction of they escape, Big Mom chases them down in revenge and probably takes it out on Fishman Island because Jimbei has betrayed her. It also leads into a nice reason for the Strawhats to go into Elbalf because her backstory is very tied into that space.

Like I really don't understand how you can still possibly argue he beats her here anymore.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I want to see Katakuri mimic Gear Fourth

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i want to see him invent gear fifth and luffy copy it. haha not really

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Asuron posted:

Big Mom chases them down in revenge and probably takes it out on Fishman Island because Jimbei has betrayed her.

And I honestly don't get how someone can read all of One Piece and think there's even the remotest possibility of something like this happening. To answer your question, yes I will admit that I was wrong if and when they leave Whole Cake Island behind without fighting Big Mom for whatever that's worth, along with disappointment in the story for wasting a year and an arc on a villain that ultimately does nothing when Oda more effectively did the same in maybe a third of the time during Saboady or in a few pages between arcs in multiple chapters. Until and unless that happens though I see absolutely no reason to think it's happening simply because some characters have expressed a desire to leave or their ship is currently heading in that direction without Luffy, who they'll already have to turn around in some manner to pick up regardless.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

No it's different. Think of Enel like mindreading, he couldn't red Luffy's moves because even Luffy didn't know them. Katakuri is seeing the actual future so he'll see where the fists actually are regardless of if Luffy knows or not. They both start from the same base ability though so perhaps, this was also my first thought! Perhaps "yes you're right if you do that there's nothing I can do" is a foreshadowing to how Luffy has to win the fight by doing something that it doesn't matter if Katakuri sees coming he can't avoid or stop.

I think that if his power to "see the future" is still based in the premise of observation haki, then it should be subjected to similar limitations. It hasn't been clearly explained how he does it other than "he trained his haki super hard and now he can see the future" but if you think about it as being able to interpret peoples intentions and anticipate future actions, then luffy could play around it similarly.

Also luffy is definitely going to use conqueror's haki to beat him right?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

tsob posted:

What makes you think there's even a remote possibility of him doing it?

What makes you think there isn't?????

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hate-Senpai posted:

What makes you think there isn't?????

She never been set up as opponent of him, Luffy is currently fighting him and Carrot is moving further away from him, not closer.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Conquerors haki should nullify the effects of haki from anyone who can't use conquerors haki. Basically it should serve as a boss trump card so only the top bosses fight

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

JahRoo posted:

I think that if his power to "see the future" is still based in the premise of observation haki, then it should be subjected to similar limitations. It hasn't been clearly explained how he does it other than "he trained his haki super hard and now he can see the future" but if you think about it as being able to interpret peoples intentions and anticipate future actions, then luffy could play around it similarly.

Also luffy is definitely going to use conqueror's haki to beat him right?

Yeah that's true though I feel like that won't be the solution personally. Have we seen Katakur's predictions on anything other than people? Did he react to the castle coming down?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

If Big Mom is defeated here then it should be with a team effort. She seems stupidly strong and durable and I don't think Luffy can 1v1 her. Same with Kaido. It also means the crew can participate in the big brawl instead of standing around calling on Luffy to beat them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
On the other hand, Luffy's self described job on the crew is to beat the people the rest of the crew can't. If he can't do that, what use is he and why is he captain? Standing around watching and waiting for Luffy to finish things is basically the crew's job at the end of an arc. You may not like it, but that's pretty standard shonen fare and not one Oda has ever shied away from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I hope it's a hotdog eating contest