Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

afen posted:

Replaced the A/C Compressor and filled her up. Finally, after six years, I have working AC!

I also shortened the exhaust a bit so that the rear pipe doesn't stick out as far.

No pictures of the wrenching, but here's a picture of the car at a local C&C event.

Wheels, that fit! Gorgeous. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got the stripped lug fixed on the FXT today. Five minutes with a die and the threads are as good as new. What a great feeling.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Lower rad hose. Between the fan and a pin that was sticking out my forearms are shredded. I look like goddamn emo teen. Goddamnit.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Pulled the radiator in the Gorester. New flywheel and clutch tomorrow.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Finally got the new starter into my wife's Nissan and it fired up pretty well. Now just to button up everything that I took off, and by "button up" I mean install the stainless 4-2-1 header I bought on eBay because why not?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Finished patching the drivers side floor. It's... good that flooring goes on top of it.

Then put some POR-15 over some surface rust that remained, got the tunnel installed, new transmission mounts, installed one of two seat belts (including a new mount for a re-tractor), and some light cleanup.

Tomorrows goals, scrape the POR-15 off of my hands, install the other seatbelt, place some rubber underlayment on the metal floor, padding, flooring, metal trim, set the bench, fix some rust on the fender, mount the fender and misc. sheet metal that is fender related, reinstall the throttle body including trimming a piece of the cable, bend some allthread for the air-box that has to mount reversed (oh maybe I'll modify the mount instead? all problems sheet metal related are now being fixed by welding), get new gaskets for the thermostat that leak, put the hood back on, and start tuning it.

I'll be lucky if I get the fender mounted.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
2010 Civic 313k miles with a nasty vibration sound in reverse and in drive to a lesser degree.

Got quoted for $500 service to replace the motor mount at a Honda dealership.

Bought the motor mount replacement for 25 dollars off Rockauto and replaced it in about 4 hours (took a lunch break in the middle)

old mount was so worn that the part where the engine mount bracket meets the hydraulic was just bare metal, no rubber. Also the top fell off because the rubber was torn/worn.

Car sounds perfectly fine now, absolutely no weird sounds in drive or reverse

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Razzled posted:

2010 Civic 313k miles

Gonna assume 313k miles is a typo, otherwise holy poo poo.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Today I finally replaced the broken crash bar on the Foz's front bumper, also allowing me to replace the broken passenger fog light.

I didn't take a pic of the final outcome but it's just a SF Forester and you've seen a billion of them before.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Night Danger Moose posted:

45k miles a year, holy poo poo...

quote:

Tomorrows goals, scrape the POR-15 off of my hands, install the other seatbelt, place some rubber underlayment on the metal floor, padding, flooring, metal trim, set the bench, fix some rust on the fender, mount the fender and misc. sheet metal that is fender related, reinstall the throttle body including trimming a piece of the cable, bend some allthread for the air-box that has to mount reversed (oh maybe I'll modify the mount instead? all problems sheet metal related are now being fixed by welding), get new gaskets for the thermostat that leak, put the hood back on, and start tuning it.

Not a bad day of production honestly, I ended up picking up a few odds and ends like greasing the seat slides, spreading seam sealer underneath, and some rattlecanning. No work tomorrow, tailgating the Broncos game. I think the flooring goes in Monday though, then the trim and seat sometime later during the week, fixing the airbox deal, thermostat, weatherstripping, hood, fuel tanks, then tuning starts next weekend.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

My mom commutes 1.5 hours each way a day five days of the week, she runs her cars into the ground

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Yeah in alaska I was doing 500 miles / week. On Alaskan highways which made my old Audi look like a spawned out salmon. All the light colors dots on the nose are large paint chips, accumulated over 3 years.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Threw new front sway bar bushings today, less front end rattle.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

wow are those broken or is that by design

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Razzled posted:

wow are those broken or is that by design

There's not really another easy way to get them over the bar otherwise, so they're split bushings stock and aftermarket on pretty much every one I've ever seen, no matter the make and model. The new ones are split too, just in a different spot (3 o'clock).

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
washed him

The body is mostly flat and I use a shower squeegee to take the water off after washing. I only need swipes of the microfiber towel here and there to get water drops. Never have to wring out a soaked towel.

There's a liquid polish called Zaino that I've been wanting to try. And I might get it wrapped in vinyl for like $1k plus materials, not sure.

https://www.zainostore.com/

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Hmm, I have a rattly driver's side *something* on my ride and the sway bar is the thing I'm yet to check.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Hmm, I have a rattly driver's side *something* on my ride and the sway bar is the thing I'm yet to check.

Of course the adage is "fix one thing find two more", so after letting it settle for 40 miles I bought a set of sway bar endlinks...who knows what'll be after that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

the joy of old cars. Hopefully I'll take it off the road next year so I can strip it down and throw some new bits at it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Yeah in alaska I was doing 500 miles / week. On Alaskan highways which made my old Audi look like a spawned out salmon. All the light colors dots on the nose are large paint chips, accumulated over 3 years.

Always heard tales that license plates would be basically worn down stubs many moons ago in the last frontier. Just an urban legend?

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Always heard tales that license plates would be basically worn down stubs many moons ago in the last frontier. Just an urban legend?

A lot of old front plates were pretty sandblasted, but an aluminum plate is pretty strong. Lots of weird front end rust on older cars though. Also, this is pretty much isolated to people that did the matsu-ANC commute due to the volume of cars and the gravel they "sanded" the roads with.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Measure never cut rough. Use scraps to cover what you should have bought more material for.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Raised up the front of the IS300 by about half an inch to prevent the upper control arms from contacting the body.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BlackMK4 posted:

Raised up the front of the IS300 by about half an inch to prevent the upper control arms from contacting the body.

Wait, you found and bought one already??

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Larrymer posted:

Wait, you found and bought one already??

Yeah, I bought that wagon. The braking issue was a bad booster which was allowing normal pedal travel to active the braking assist switch and engage ABS, previous owner replaced it with an OEM one and gave me a call.

Suspension noise was the ever-common issue of a lowered double wishbone suspension car tapping the upper control arm on the body. I like it so far, and I'm getting terrible thoughts when I see I can get an Aristo 2JZ-GTE off eBay for under 2k.

I'll be installing my oil pan baffle in the S2000, swapping to a set of 255/40 RT615Ks I have, and getting the car aligned this weekend. 5 trackdays in October with it.
Chuckwalla Oct 7-8
Musselman Honda Circuit Oct 14
Arizona Motorsports Park Oct 28-29

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 19, 2017

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
crosspostin from the vw thread

Now this is a story all about how
My Golf got fixed but it's still a cow
I'd like to take a minute just sit right there
I'll tell ya all about how I sprouted ten new grey hairs.

Somewhere in Mexico welded and brazed
This garbage rolled off of the assembly line after a number of days
Floppy and loose in the front and the caboose
Burinin oil like Sadam and it ain't got boost

And couple a mounts who were up to no good
Started making trouble underneath the hood
Clunks going over bumps and the creaks made me scared
So I decided to buy some new mounts and I'll take 'er from there

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:golfclap:

brilliant

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Well done.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
That was awesome. :bravo:

I finally got around to addressing the peeling paint on the trunk lid panel, which had a nice filthy surprise waiting for me once I finally removed it:

One last look at the original peeling mess:

Various stages of priming and painting:

Semi-gloss black with a matte clear coat:

Horrible potato pic ahoy. It was night time when I was finally able to put it all back together, so the first real good pic I could get was when I got to work the next morning:

It's still a bit rough in a some spots, but I really like how it turned out. I was actually able to save the GTO lettering and the 5.7 logo, but I don't think I'll be putting them back on. I'm also considering removing the Pontiac badge from the trunk lid, not sure just yet.

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 20, 2017

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I've never really thought about it before, but I had no idea that was a separate panel.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I've never really thought about it before, but I had no idea that was a separate panel.

The one that blows my mind is the previous-generation CR-V hatch. The entire thing is like four unfathomably large trim panels and it's still incredibly ugly.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Finally got a rear seat for my p71! Unfortunately the goon-supplied one never showed up (Greyhound!) but a person was parting out a civilian Crown Vic so I now have a grey vinyl rear. I had to trim out the foam in the middle for the fire suppression box, but otherwise all is well. A bit beat up (no pics), and I need a driver's side seat belt buckle. Thankfully, the stock seat belts were still there behind the C pillar trim panels, zip tied up and tucked away. Never used!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

The Commodore used to have full width tail lights on some trim models, so it was easier for Holden to make the same boot opening for the Monaro/GTO and share as many stamping parts as possible.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

God drat that's hot.

DogonCrook posted:

Lower rad hose. Between the fan and a pin that was sticking out my forearms are shredded. I look like goddamn emo teen. Goddamnit.

I need to do hoses on both my car and my mom's. Mom's has a noticeable coolant stain appearing around where the upper hose meets the radiator (hopefully the radiator is fine, but it's a 2003 with 160k); I get a whiff of coolant occasionally on mine (2006 w/183k), and the low coolant message has started saying hello now and then. I know the complete cooling system is original on both cars, except for the water pump on mom's car (Toyota + timing belt) and thermostat on mine. Obviously not counting coolant.

Friend has about 250k on a 2012 or 2013 Civic.

It's been a giant pile of poo poo for him that spends more time in the shop vs the road, from the day he bought it brand new. :sigh: He still owes a small fortune on the car too. Its newest party trick is overheating at random for no reason and doesn't seem to have a blown head gasket (there's no temp gauge, just a HOT light).

He travels all over NY/NJ to repair pharmacy dispensing machines (PYXIS, I think?), mostly in hospitals.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Time to work on my new old Primera today. The plan for this week and next is to fix any body issues, seal the undercarriage after fixing, clean the throttle body and the cable, re adjust the handbrake (you can pull it into low earth orbit at the moment) replace the rear right brake completely. Re align the suspension and do a general service (all fluids all filters)

Here's the car

Here's the first pic of today's work, old right fender and the replacement. It's so dusty because I stored it for over 10 years for the previous owner (and now obviously don't have to pay for a new one)

Tomorrow, if I find the time to take better pictures, I'll post how far I have come with the body work and the brakes. But a friend also wanted to send his seat ibiza over for "a small service" so we shall see how much time remains for my car.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 21, 2017

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Threw some new endlinks on the front swaybar, and magically the AW11 felt like a new car again. No noises, rattles, or clunks from the front end.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Threw some new endlinks on the front swaybar, and magically the AW11 felt like a new car again. No noises, rattles, or clunks from the front end.

I dislike the look of that jack, especially the single bolt at the center of the X

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Elsa posted:

I dislike the look of that jack, especially the single bolt at the center of the X

Pretty sure it's fine.
http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/specialty-lifts/md-6xp.aspx

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

oh. drat that looks kind of nice actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
How is that jack for servicing things under the care. Exhaust repairs, driveshaft, etc? It's hard to tell from the promo video, but it looks rather restrictive