Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

It's been a disappointing campaign for them when you think about it.

Lost their leader

Lost about 10% in the polls

Labour got a superstar

No one really talked about their policies, just about what Metiria did, and then what happened to Metiria.

So I wouldn't blame those people feeling disappointed

I really hope they get at least 7%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Nah we all learnt an important thing from it: hating beneficiaries is a pan-political spectrum pastime.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

E. Actually we knew this before this incident [I mean, just look at what our deputy pm has done to poor people who speak against the govt]. But especially so at the pointy end of an election campaign. But whatever roll the dice anyway.

It would have been great to have Metiria as minster of social whatever. And she could have been if they'd kept their mouth shut.

But now we'll never know.

Disappointment.

Moo Cowabunga fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 22, 2017

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Right after Metiria admitted to benefit fraud the Greens shot up to like 15% mostly at Labour's expense. That's what occasioned Little to step down. So really, Metiria is to thank for Labour's gains under Jacinda.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

E. Actually we knew this before this incident [I mean, just look at what our deputy pm has done to poor people who speak against the govt]. But especially so at the pointy end of an election campaign. But whatever roll the dice anyway.

It would have been great to have Metiria as minster of social whatever. And she could have been if they'd kept their mouth shut.

But now we'll never know.

Disappointment.

Labour would never have given Turei the MSD portfolio, lol.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Greens have always been strong advocates on social policy. The idea that they're "the ecology guys" predates MMP. Social justice is one of their founding tenets.

Their only sin was misjudging their ability to withstand the withering glare of a media, wholly apathetic about the significant boom in poverty and homelessness because it broadcasts from a building that they are washed away from, whose three mouths chew endlessly on the bodies of dole bludgers.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Ecologist parties in Europe tend to be awful because they're purely environmentalist, and the NZ greens were stagnant (even as Labour fell) when they were doing the "we 💚 free markets" stuff.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I'm not saying that it isn't, but they were doing just fine without going yolo on it especially as they had invested so much in the rivers thing, then seemingly gave that up to try and highlight the homeless and poor. Very noble but however you want to look at it, they cocked it up.

Yes greens do social policy, but so do others. The others do gently caress all about the environment except maybe the ban 1080 party which exists for some reason

Anyway it's almost Saturday and I don't wanna get pinged so I do sincerely hope my disappointment with green leadership was misplaced and they get 10% or more

But I also hope that green leadership don't not look at themselves after this election. This wasn't their best campaign in my humble opinion.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I would also like to point out that Nat MPs have now been involved in two scandals of serious dishonesty in the last 2 weeks yet the Dom Post won't even publish its story on one of them (Collins, Oravida), and the other barely got any investigative press at all (Jian).

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I would also like to point out that Nat MPs have now been involved in two scandals of serious dishonesty in the last 2 weeks yet the Dom Post won't even publish its story on one of them (Collins, Oravida), and the other barely got any investigative press at all (Jian).

The Jian one is baffling to me - it was a "blink and you miss it" story. It had a lifespan of roughly half an hour, before vanishing completely.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

The Greens have always been strong advocates on social policy. The idea that they're "the ecology guys" predates MMP. Social justice is one of their founding tenets.

Their only sin was misjudging their ability to withstand the withering glare of a media, wholly apathetic about the significant boom in poverty and homelessness because it broadcasts from a building that they are washed away from, whose three mouths chew endlessly on the bodies of dole bludgers.

exactly

also fwiw the Greens did and do still have a leader, just not two like usual. Maybe it's turned out that they made a mistake in revealing this, but there are so many other factors at play this election that I don't think we can attribute their current polling or eventual share of the party vote solely to Metiria's admission. Is there something else we think they mismanaged that I'm missing?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Hello friends. It is the 23rd, and I have no strong political opinions that I wish to share.

Political parties exist, and their members sometimes say things. Wow!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/BenUffindell/status/911200644836421634

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
i voted for the greens, and you should too. cheer's.

https://twitter.com/garethmorgannz/status/911103691167379458

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Hello friends. It is the 23rd, and I have no strong political opinions that I wish to share.

still the 22nd here :q:

My strong political opinion is please go do a vote, if you didn't yet

e: not you, I mean in general

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

A bad post.

Brain In A Jar fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 23, 2017

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating

I taught Ben so it makes my heart swell with pride to see him doing his thing

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Thank you for bringing it to my attention that I have had SA set to Australia time for the past several years

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think we can't deny it's been an election game and at the end of the day the team with the most points can ask Winston Posters for the trophy

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Pararoid posted:

If it helps, Metiria was actually totally right to come forward and talk about hardship she faced 20+ years ago, how it made her a strong voice for people in the same situation and how only electing people who have no idea of these realities is actually how we perpetuate a broken system forever.

For what it's worth I totally agree. It was the way they didn't plan the follow up and the way the rest of the party responded (as if they weren't on board) that made me wonder if they could actually run a government if push came to shove. Anyway maybe you peeps are right and good policy is more important than (my impression of) competence. Doesn't seem like team good will be governing anyway so :(

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Being 4h ahead of you guys in real time is always loving nerve wracking 'cos I won't see the result until I wake up tomorrow morning :ohdear:

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

SuperiorColliculus posted:

Being 4h ahead of you guys in real time is always loving nerve wracking 'cos I won't see the result until I wake up tomorrow morning :ohdear:
On the other hand, you will probably sleep better than some people tonight.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I think we can't deny it's been an election game and at the end of the day the team with the most points can ask Winston Posters for the trotie

ftfy

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

Im in North Carolina, where my vote will mean literally nothing, but my vote I was able to process overseas with my phone in under 10-15 minutes will mean something.

Going to be hard to not stay up for the results

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

SuperiorColliculus posted:

Don't worry it'll probably be multiple parties on 5.0001% and waiting a couple weeks for special votes before we know anything

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ya I think best case scenario for the results is we don't know anything until after specials are counted and coalition talks can finish in like three weeks. I think the only way we find out tonight is if National significantly exceeds their poll numbers like they did last time. The chances of Labour coming out ahead of National are vanishingly small

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
You guys need some actual left wing people.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

12 year old cartoonist lol
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/97158880/as-walt-hamers-words-taper-off-his-pen-takes-over

Lord of the Llamas posted:

You guys need some actual left wing people.

We did, she got hounded out of politics for reminding the middle class that poverty exists

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I had to actually queue to vote for the first time, and saw multiple people under the age of 50 for the first time, this anecdote is clearly indicative of some broad trend.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

exmarx posted:

i voted for the greens, and you should too. cheer's.

https://twitter.com/garethmorgannz/status/911103691167379458

hell, same

for both parts

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
My bestie's obsessed with Taylor Swift. Stuff she sings is okay, but I don't get the hype.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
She has some ok songs but shake it off is not one of them and it came out like 3 years ago so Gareth is a bit behind the curve there

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

voted, straight Ban1080 ticket.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I did a write-in for legalise speedweed

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I forgot to grab an I Voted sticker :(

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
So given the number of advance votes that should be counted by 7pm, we're going to have a pretty good idea of the results pretty much straight after polls close, aren't we?

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
There'll be an election night YouTube livestream here FYI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g70Gbse7Gg

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

El Pollo Blanco posted:

So given the number of advance votes that should be counted by 7pm, we're going to have a pretty good idea of the results pretty much straight after polls close, aren't we?

Yeah but there will be more special votes than normal due to the enrolling at advance booths so if it hinges on one or two seats here or there we'll have to wait till oct 7th.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I forgot to grab an I Voted sticker :(

I grabbed one, but my two year old daughter claimed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Varkk posted:

I grabbed one, but my two year old daughter claimed it.

I love the symbolism here.

• Locked thread