Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Snak posted:

Well, money that doesn't get laundered has no value. A cartel has virtually limitless dirty money. The problem is there's only so much they can do with it. Because they shut down the Chicago operation and killed everyone who worked there, they have a huge bottleneck in their laundering process. They trust Marty not to go to the cops. That's really the only way they lose their money. If Marty fails to launder it, they kill him and still have most of it. If someone rips off Marty, they kill Marty and them and their back to square one, but again, there's very little risk. With Chicago being shut down, they are hemorrhaging clean, usable money every day. Taking a guy they know is competent and forcing him to work is the oldest tactic in the book.

Every single thing Marty is doing is out of sheer desperation. Take someone who can be a really detail oriented and precise person and do a job in a week and put a gun to their head and threaten to kill their family if they don't get it done in a day, and they're going to cut corners. Because they have no choice.

And I think that's a really good way to make the premise work. It's not like in Weeds, where the show opens with the protagonist already having a stable business selling enough weed to pay her bills, and then partway through the first season she learns that there are different types of weed. God I hate that loving show.

Oh I'm not under the impression they can't stand to lose the money. Just that the assumption that he won't turn to the feds seems awfully risky, especially given the absurd amount of pressure they put him under.

And come on, you have to admit the eyeballs in a jar was a bit much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Has there been anything about the possibility of S4 of Hannibal since there were some vague tweets last month?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Has there been anything about the possibility of S4 of Hannibal since there were some vague tweets last month?

As recently as two days ago, people from the show were saying they hope they get to do more because they have great ideas for continuing it: http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/19/hannibal-bryan-fuller-possible-new-season/

Nothing specific or concrete, though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Is Toast of London the British Eastbound and Down?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ehhhh nah not really. It's a pretty traditional British alt comedy show with an arse of a main character. Its really good, and neat it's getting more of an audience now.

Also Mindhorn was a fun film that'll appeal to the same crowd.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Cacator posted:

I completely lost it at Vancouver landmarks being major Canadian and US corporate stores and covered my face in my hands when the host had Holocaust doubts. Incredible.

For me it was the montage of sweet and tender moments that ended with the hotel room orgy. The host questioning the holocaust numbers got me good though

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 22, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ehhhh nah not really. It's a pretty traditional British alt comedy show with an arse of a main character. Its really good, and neat it's getting more of an audience now.

Also Mindhorn was a fun film that'll appeal to the same crowd.

I'm mostly joking. But there are some similarities in a washed-up main character that treats everyone like complete poo poo all the time but somehow still manages to stumble rear end-first into success.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

He's been on Big Bang Theory over a dozen times, if nothing else the man knows a hit when he sees it.

I know exactly what you mean, because of when I saw him in Powers.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Channel Zero is back for anyone who missed it. Very different this time round and there is a thread for it (can't link soz)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

precision posted:

Rogue One is good actually

It's definitely in the top 5 of Star Wars movies, anyway

I feel like it would've been better without the unnecessary blind super-kung-fu monk character that's in a hundred movies and TV shows.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Lycus posted:

I feel like it would've been better without the unnecessary blind super-kung-fu monk character that's in a hundred movies and TV shows.

I feel like Donnie yen being in it is a plus for any movie

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

i don't really know what i'm watching

#reality high

what is this i don't know

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

never mind that, watching Chappie now. Time for more Shartly

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

Donnie Yen did a great job, but I won't disagree that his character was extremely cliché. The idea of showing us a non-Jedi that uses the Force is good, but just going "blind monk who is always wise and right and good, done" was lazy. They didn't even fully commit to the gay angle, which they really should have. I'm not saying I needed to see them make out or anything, but it could have been less of an Ambiguously Gay Duo

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

oh gently caress it's die antwoord

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You drunk, It's 2 hour Die Antwoord video, with a cool robot.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chappie's so great.

Ayyyyyyyyy, what's up fuckmother?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Chappie's so great.

Ayyyyyyyyy, what's up fuckmother?

Hahaha I just saw that bit

How's poo poo?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Chappie rules!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ok thanks guys. I now want to ask people at work if they are a McMillan Man.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress the nathan for you special is so great. i missed this

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So why did Nathan for You disappear for 2 years? :raise:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ok no seriously some of this poo poo is definitely fake right??? the host asking Nathan if he was around during the Holocaust??? right?????

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lycus posted:

China will literally vomit a giant tsunami of money back across the pacific if you include them in your movie in even the most lovely tacked on way. So get used to it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In some of the Marvel movies they even put in scenes exclusively for the Chinese version. Tony Stark will talk to some Chinese scientist for help for 3 minutes and the scene is nowhere to be found in the US.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MiddleOne posted:

So why did Nathan for You disappear for 2 years? :raise:
Think he had a foot injury

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Mu Zeta posted:

In some of the Marvel movies they even put in scenes exclusively for the Chinese version. Tony Stark will talk to some Chinese scientist for help for 3 minutes and the scene is nowhere to be found in the US.

Wasn't there some scene where Iron Man stops to drink some Chinese milk or some such?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Probably. Someone drinks disgusting soy milk in Independence Day and some of the Transformers as well.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Age of Ultron has the same thing with some famous Asian actress playing a totally useless scientist except that's in all cuts.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

Probably. Someone drinks disgusting soy milk in Independence Day and some of the Transformers as well.

I couldn't stop laughing at the scene in Independence Day 2 where someone at a press conference asks for a statement from the Chinese crew, because China "plays such an important role in the earth's defense" and they just straight up don't bother translating or subtitling the answer because it was just there for pandering purposes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Escobarbarian posted:

Age of Ultron has the same thing with some famous Asian actress playing a totally useless scientist except that's in all cuts.

Ehhh. She's developing the medical tech that leads to Vision's body being built. She isn't totally useless. That said expect her never to be seen again in the MCU.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Meant to say "pointless" I guess

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It was probably one of the conditions of filming in Seoul. Put this actress in your movie and we'll give you tax incentives while filming here.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Huh. I didn't know there was going to be a TBS series of The Alienist. I really liked the book, could be good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

PriorMarcus posted:

Ehhh. She's developing the medical tech that leads to Vision's body being built. She isn't totally useless. That said expect her never to be seen again in the MCU.

In fairness at least she was a fairly significant comic character that could get fans all easter egging/speculating.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Independence Day 2 was literally funded by the US military and used to make recruitment ads that were basically unironic versions of the propaganda videos in Starship Troopers. But for some reason people only noticed and got mad at the fact that China exists and is acknowledged in the film :thunk:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Independence Day 2 was literally funded by the US military and used to make recruitment ads that were basically unironic versions of the propaganda videos in Starship Troopers. But for some reason people only noticed and got mad at the fact that China exists and is acknowledged in the film :thunk:

I assume everyone who wasn't interested in US military propaganda didn't watch the film...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It didn't even have Will Smith in it what was the point?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I went to see that movie for some reason. It had Jeff Goldblum driving a school bus away from a gigantic alien, which was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Guy Mann posted:

The first one was even more rah rah america jingoistic propaganda so it's just more of the same.

• Locked thread