Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
HH plastics were killed by big marines, I tell ya.

Who was Bligh, and why did he kick the bucket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JcDent posted:

Alan Bligh was the guy who pretty much lead writer on everything Horus Heresy for FW. He passed from cancer a few months ago.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
He also wrote the Badab War IA books, which are probably the best thing FW ever put to paper.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

JcDent posted:

NuMarines killed the Heresy star. (I'll show myself out)

I can see that though. I'm about to part out my HH box sets because truescale marines are just too much my jam. I always hated how SM were the same height as normal humans. I wish they'd just truescale the whole line and drop this Primaris vs Normal charade.

This is all good news though, they're seeing SG can be profitable if you just put the money and effort into it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Not sure how much more they were going to do in HH plastics anyways, though. Seems like they covered the basics necessary to give the game a cheaper entry point.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Plastic MK IIs, plastic heresy jump packs, plastic Sicarans?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

JcDent posted:

Plastic MK IIs, plastic heresy jump packs, plastic Sicarans?

jump packs maybe, but I seriously doubt it'd be worth it for them to make plastic Mk IIs

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

Bligh was pretty much the man responsible for 30k. It was more or less his brainchild and he was involved heavily in almost every aspect. Losing him is a huge blow to the game and it's been struggling as FW has scrambled to figure out what to do next. It had been his plan to transition to 8th edition, but, again, he was the one in charge of that so his passing is probably a big part of why we're getting the stopgap 7th edition rulebook.

From what I've gathered it was all pretty sudden. Bligh was giving seminars at the last Horus Heresy Weekender in February and passed in May. :smith:

TheChirurgeon posted:

jump packs maybe, but I seriously doubt it'd be worth it for them to make plastic Mk IIs
Anecdotal, but I would have bought a ton of plastic MkII. I use them for veterans and I also plan on using them as seekers. I had been holding out for them for a while, but we've known for a long time that further plastic support of 30k was unlikely. I broke down a few months ago and got 20 MkII dudes, but resin infantry are such a pain to clean up that I won't be getting more for a while.

I think the most reasonable expansions of the plastic 30k range would be MkIV assault marines, Deimos pattern rhinos, and possibly outriders or jetbikes these will never happen. I think the Deimos is more important than the Sicaran because it forms the basis of so many vehicles. Currently, they're all weird hybrid kits with custom front plates and side panels. However, I acknowledge that a plastic Deimos kit would likely require FW to redesign their predator and vindicator kits to fit as upgrade parts. That may be more work than they're willing to put in right now as they try to backfill the range. Especially given their lackluster approach to upgrade parts to plastic infantry; I'm still surprised they didn't have resin upgrade packs for the plastic MkIII to turn them into breachers.

I've built five Deimos-pattern vehicles so far with plans for at least five more. I may be biased on this one. Ironwing. :shepface:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Safety Factor posted:

Anecdotal, but I would have bought a ton of plastic MkII. I use them for veterans and I also plan on using them as seekers. I had been holding out for them for a while, but we've known for a long time that further plastic support of 30k was unlikely. I broke down a few months ago and got 20 MkII dudes, but resin infantry are such a pain to clean up that I won't be getting more for a while.

The problem is that a plastic MkII kit is going to cannibalize sales for MkIII and MkIV kits, and the sales for it wouldn't be worth the cost investment of making the kit. I could see HH plastic jump packs maybe, but you also have to consider that every new plastic release effectively kills an existing FW kit. Except maybe the contemptor, but I think that's a special case.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I don't know, the main reason why I'm not buying BaC is because I hate MK IV with a passion. If BaC had MK III or MK IIs, it would be perfect.

A new box could have plastic MK IIs, MK Vs and some agents of the warmaster or Dark Mechanicus crap like they had talons in BoP.

New plastic commanders, MK IIIs, as well as the termies and Dread from BaC would be the perfect pack.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Should I bother getting the Deathwatch: Overkill boards for Necromunda? It seems like they'd be fun for the board version and they're kind of cheap right now.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Depending on how cheap they are, it might not hurt to have a bit of variation. The downside is that they are mostly big rooms connected at chokepoints, rather than passageways.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am excited as hell someone is playing Goblins in my soon to launch Blood Bowl League.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
[quote="“Lord_Hambrose”" post="“476621702”"]
I am excited as hell someone is playing Goblins in my soon to launch Blood Bowl League.
[/quote]

Goblins are hilarious. We didn't have any in our last league, but hoping someone does the right thing in the next one.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Well coached goblins are my nemesis. Always ends up either with losses or phyrric victories.

Badly coached goblins are just gravy :)

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Mmmmm, gravy

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I'm up against Goblin teams in my next two matches, both coached by competent players. Just got hope my 4+ regen rolls are hot or my team could be hosed, just in tike for the final match of the season.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I watched a live stream BB2 game with two of the guys from my club, Gobbos vs. Halflings.

Chainsaw dude killed a treeman in one turn, and then injured the other like two turns later. It was beautiful.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

ineptmule posted:

I watched a live stream BB2 game with two of the guys from my club, Gobbos vs. Halflings.

Chainsaw dude killed a treeman in one turn, and then injured the other like two turns later. It was beautiful.

This seems entirely fitting.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
My wife just asked me if there was a treant team in Blood Bowl and if so she wanted one so she could name it Bitter Harvest. I think it's time to take her through the introductory rules this weekend, she obviously understands the heart of the game.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Shadin posted:

My wife just asked me if there was a treant team in Blood Bowl and if so she wanted one so she could name it Bitter Harvest. I think it's time to take her through the introductory rules this weekend, she obviously understands the heart of the game.

Sounds like she wants to play Goth Halflings.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The halfling player at our club uses tree-women and potato sack doll halflings.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Shadin posted:

You could easily Counts-as Treants as Ogres, so have some spindly little woodland creatures or spirits as the snot kings/gnoblars.

In fact this is such a good idea that I think I might do it.

Edit: although Ogres are one of if not the worst teams in the game so perhaps not a great choice for a beginner.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
WTF is a Treant?

E: wait, you mean treemen? Seriously, gently caress this stupid arbitrary re-branding of the GW races. It's needlessly confusing.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

ineptmule posted:

You could easily Counts-as Treants as Ogres, so have some spindly little woodland creatures or spirits as the snot kings/gnoblars.

In fact this is such a good idea that I think I might do it.

Edit: although Ogres are one of if not the worst teams in the game so perhaps not a great choice for a beginner.

She's kind of running with the idea of using Dryads from AOS as the Linemen, Throwers, and Treemen, then using Elves as the Catchers and Wardancers and running it all as Wood Elf rules.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

WTF is a Treant?

E: wait, you mean treemen? Seriously, gently caress this stupid arbitrary re-branding of the GW races. It's needlessly confusing.

Don't blame GW. Thanks to EverQuest and D&D, all tree people are treants to me, sorry about that. :)

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Indolent Bastard posted:

WTF is a Treant?

Treant is a term much older than GW.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

GW doesn't even call them Treants, they call them Sylvaneth Treelords.

Although now that I think about it, it's a little strange they didn't rename the Dryads to something more unique.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Treant is a term much older than GW.

Yeah it was the name coined by DnD after Tolkien's estate told them they couldn't use Ent anymore.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
GW still uses Treeman in Blood Bowl and AoS.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Shadin posted:

She's kind of running with the idea of using Dryads from AOS as the Linemen, Throwers, and Treemen, then using Elves as the Catchers and Wardancers and running it all as Wood Elf rules.

I did something similar back in high school. I used the Wood Elf rules and all dryads/treemen models. It was fun to paint and model. I don't know what happened to them though.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
If anyone is interested in some, um, "remastered" Warmaster Bretonnians or Lizardmen, PM me.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Played that game of Necromantic vs Goblins yesterday, and it contained the funniest play I've ever seen.

I won the toss, elected to receive and after an early turnover from fluffing the pickup, the Goblins suffer an instant turnover from fumbling a bomb throw. This allowed me to pick up and build a pretty decent cage on the centre line.

The Goblin coach then Throws Team Mate into a square in between two corners of the cage. The Goblin scatters out, then back to the original square, then onto the ball carrier.

:orks: "What happens when a player lands on another player?"
:zombie: "Let me check the rules... you roll for my armour. poo poo."

:rolldice: Through the armour and BOX CARS.

So my ball-carrying Ghoul took a Goblin bum to the face and was instantly sent to the casualty box.

This kinda hosed up my aim of getting a TD with him for a third skill, but I couldn't get that cross about such a hilarious play - well, after I'd rolled the casualty and realised the Ghoul was fine for the next game...

Went 2-0 in the end, which means I'm now top of my conference. It's getting very tight heading towards the play-offs.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

glitchkrieg posted:

Played that game of Necromantic vs Goblins yesterday, and it contained the funniest play I've ever seen.

I won the toss, elected to receive and after an early turnover from fluffing the pickup, the Goblins suffer an instant turnover from fumbling a bomb throw. This allowed me to pick up and build a pretty decent cage on the centre line.

The Goblin coach then Throws Team Mate into a square in between two corners of the cage. The Goblin scatters out, then back to the original square, then onto the ball carrier.

:orks: "What happens when a player lands on another player?"
:zombie: "Let me check the rules... you roll for my armour. poo poo."

:rolldice: Through the armour and BOX CARS.

So my ball-carrying Ghoul took a Goblin bum to the face and was instantly sent to the casualty box.

This kinda hosed up my aim of getting a TD with him for a third skill, but I couldn't get that cross about such a hilarious play - well, after I'd rolled the casualty and realised the Ghoul was fine for the next game...

Went 2-0 in the end, which means I'm now top of my conference. It's getting very tight heading towards the play-offs.

Lol, I've never been in a game where a player gets hit with another thrown player. That's amazing.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
There's a BB2 let's play at the mo where a treeman throws a halfling and actually hit himself thanks to the scatter.

If you're unlikely to watch it or don't mind the enspoiling I do recommend revealing the spoiler.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hey fellas, I hear you guys like a little game called...

I have recently started a League with some friends and we are playing a Round Robin Tournament. At the end of all the rounds the top four teams will play a single elimination tournament for a FABULOUS GRAND PRIZE! What kind of prize you may ask? Well.

Game ain't worth playin' unless you got resin on the line. That just how we do in the 30k Thread.

The bottom two players will also play for a (somewhat less optimal) Secret Prize! Will other prizes appear? Will the plucky Goblin player take the league by storm? Will Bloodlust always betray the Vampires at the worst possible moment (yes)? Find out!

WEEK ONE MATCH UPS!
Dracula RapDonalds (Vampires) vs B3AR FORC3 ON3 (Kislev)
Boney Bunch (Undead) vs 'andsum Boiz (Orcs)
The Rat-Faced Knackers (Chaos) vs Trashtail Nibblers (Skaven)
Loooooosers (Goblins) vs Awoo Legion (Norse)
Aros Deepdwellers (Skaven) vs Scandinavian Scuttlebutt (Norse)

I managed to get my first game of the season in, which turned out to be a crushing loss! I would be more angry at the power of the rebranded Slann team, but they just looked so good flipping and flying around! 3-0 win for B3AR FORC3 ON3!

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Loooooosers lost!
But only 1-0. Chainsaw took out important players his first 2 activations. At one point there were no goblins left on the field. PRAISE NUFFLE!

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
Love the reports. Also getting a good lol out of B3AR FORC3 ON3.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Hot Skandinavian on Skaven action, live, here! Praise be to Nuffle!

https://go.twitch.tv/frobbe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Broken Record Talk posted:

Hot Skandinavian on Skaven action, live, here! Praise be to Nuffle!

https://go.twitch.tv/frobbe

You should've added a NSFW flag. In civilized countries we frown on watching live video of rodents getting hosed hard by half nude viking men.