Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah I definitely assumed it would be something much more Berserk like based on my vague memories of it. Should I go with anime or manga and is it SFW if I read it on my lunch in work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

How cool is your workplace with regular decapitations?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The anime has a really, really, really bad anime-original last couple of episodes and ending. It's good up to that point though. It also overall only covers like 1/3 of the manga's story. I honestly don't remember how SFW it is, I want to say it's about the same as any other SJ type of series in terms of violence/sexual content with most of the violence being limbs being constantly lost to almost comical effect.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pretty fine but we recently had a HR sensitivity workshop that we're supposed to call them unexpected cranioectomies :rolleyes:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
claymore had really great monster designs. it was kind of odd how the story eventually explained all the mysteries while also making it seem like those answers were largely irrelevant, though.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Is Claymore good?

I miss Claymore.
I found it to be very good, with some cool monster en power designs.
What I personally also liked is how the author avoided making the conflict any bigger than he had to. The anime is pretty good as well, but it only reaches until about 1/3 or 1/2 of the manga and then adds it's own ending which is...not completely terrible?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

claymore had really great monster designs. it was kind of odd how the story eventually explained all the mysteries while also making it seem like those answers were largely irrelevant, though.

A lot of mysteries weren't answered at all as far as I know.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

I miss Claymore.
I found it to be very good, with some cool monster en power designs.
What I personally also liked is how the author avoided making the conflict any bigger than he had to. The anime is pretty good as well, but it only reaches until about 1/3 or 1/2 of the manga and then adds it's own ending which is...not completely terrible?

A lot of mysteries weren't answered at all as far as I know.

nah, they revealed everything. what youma are, what was up with the organization, the nature and purpose of claymores.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I remember reading up until Isley(?) turned into a baddie and before that she was like a tiny kid who was way better at monster killing than everyone else. I remember being put off that Clare had half the power of other Claymores instead of being super special because I was super into Naruto and Bleach back then. Ahhh teenage years.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Clare was special because she was basically Mega Man.

Anyway everything was answered, but gimme the GOD drat candy is right in that the characters basically went "OK, we just want to live here by ourselves in peace so we don't actually give a gently caress about this war with the dragons or whatever".

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What did the author do after Claymore?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Clare was special because she was basically Mega Man.

If she picks up new abilities every time she beats up a baddie and absorbs their Yoma that'll be really cool. When I was younger I liked series about someone being a special chosen one with unbeatable power but now I prefer people who aren't special earning their strength with grit and overcoming. I hope this is the latter. Started chapter one and the art is real nice.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I don't remember Clare being Mega Man at all, just that she developed her own style of fighting.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Poor Teresa is so tragic and going to die because she save-

:stare:

e: I remember these four who are sent to kill her and then they basically give into their Yoma totally and become the big bads. I even remember that scene of how Priscilla is introduced. I just thought her name was Isley though. Maybe that's a name she takes on? I also totally forgot about the Teresa stuff and assumed that my memories of this was a different person's flashback I guess.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 22, 2017

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, it was around the time Teresa was introduced when my opinion about Claymore changed from "eh, this is kinda interesting, but I'm not feeling it" to "ok, this is actually really good". The flashback arc and the arc after that is the place where the series really found its feet and figured out what it wants to do.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

One thing I don't like about the art is the noses.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

one thing I don't like about the art is all of it

idk why but I just really do not like the way claymore looks and never have

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mraagvpeine posted:

What did the author do after Claymore?

He put out a oneshot earlier this year, but that's all I've seen. I wouldn't blame a magaka who managed to have a long-running series for taking some time off after finishing to spend a while not killing themselves.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, it was around the time Teresa was introduced when my opinion about Claymore changed from "eh, this is kinda interesting, but I'm not feeling it" to "ok, this is actually really good". The flashback arc and the arc after that is the place where the series really found its feet and figured out what it wants to do.
Yeah Teresa flashback, especially with the "How about Clare?" page, was basically the point where I went from being ambivalent w/ Claymore to really liking it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Holy gently caress Teresa is such a gangster beating them all without her Yoma power and now going toe to toe with Priscilla using just below the limit of losing herself with the tiniest fraction of power.

e:gently caress YOU YOU FCUKING oval office

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

it always amazed me that the author of Claymore was the same as the one who made Angel Densetsu

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ophelia you are such a huge bitch oh my god

Lt. Lizard posted:

Up until the Teresa arc I was like "yeah this isn't bad" and from then on it's so loving good. The world of the Claymores really opens up and it's so much more interesting and exciting now.

oh my actual god love loving glass housees

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

By the way, if you haven't read Angel Densetsu by the same author, you should. It's a different genre (mostly comedy), but it's way, way better than Claymore in my opinion.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I might try it after cos this is dope af, the former number 2 showed up and is totally wrecking Ophelia with minimal effort lol. I love the ranks in this they really feel earned. The man in black mentioned the top two being insanely good compared to even the others kind of hinting they may rival Teresa and Priscilla. "Every age has its heroes". I would have thought one of them was Isley but they're called "Dark" Alicia and Beth. I assumed both Ophelia and Galatea were going to be them but they were 3 and 4. I still have a feeling basically every top Claymore will go Priscilla mode tbh.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
isley is a character in claymore, but he takes a while to show up and even longer to matter much

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Didn't think he'd be a dude lmao.

Holy poo poo she got Ilena's arm she really is Megaman. Also awakened Claymore's are so cool and also Ilena complimented Raphaela and asked why she wasn't ranked higher. ARghhhhhhhh this is so freaking good guys

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, sorry for the minor spoiler then.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh no don't be silly that's not a spoiler at all. I googled them assuming they were Priscilla because I had a memory of that whole arc. Though in my memory I'd kind of conflated Teresa and Clare I think. I'd a vague idea that they were on a hunt and Priscilla became full Yoma to kill a Yoma and Clare was a survivor but that was only half right. I think I must have googled some stuff years ago when I read a bit of it in my midteens which is why I know the name Isley.

This is so loving creepy who is this girl trying to force awakenings. She says there's been like 30 but there's only 47 Claymores and I can't imagine the organisation wouldn't have noticed so that's weird.

e: ah so there's three former number ones who awakened one of whom is a dude and I'm guessing that's Isley

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 23, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Just holk gently caress if Priscilla isn't one of the three and is literally the woman of the man in the North, just how strong are number ones who awaken. Even if Pris wasn't one when she awoke I assumed awakenening maxed your potential anyway. Then again this early even though the description fits I wouldn't be surprised if it was intentionally misleading.

e; let's get jean onside if she hasn't awa- augh dangit

e: I have read 73 chapters goddamn.

I was just about to say that Teresa seems way weaker than both Alicia and Priscilla and this new number 4 who should be 1 despite being a number one and then I read the bonus chapter where she effortlessly beat a number one who awakened holy poo poo

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 23, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Claymore does a pretty good job of keeping you on your toes by having misleading or incomplete "rankings."

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm glad it turned out that Priscilla was the actual strongest Creature of the Abyss considering all the backstory we got for her and the fact that she killed Teresa. After the special chapter where we see Teresa killing that Awakened who was a former number one I think she must have been the strongest before Priscilla and probably since too. She beat that Awakened one without even using her Yoma power pretty much, it's insane how strong her baseline is.

Super wasn't expecting a timeskip after the battle in the north and I really though they might have let the seven get killed off. Clare's semi awakened form with the cool legs was insanely dope and I expect the final tier of strength for these guys is going to be be able to control their full awakening or at least very close to it.

Teresa showed up in Rafaela's flashbacks as a younger girl so I think she's probably going to be important again later especially as the organisation were happy to put her in Clare if it meant another Teresa. She just seems so strong without having any revealed abnormality i.e. emotionally unstable like Miata or the whole Alicia/Beth double team to allow one of them to awaken.

Really interested to see Raki after seven years and especially as he spent it with Isley and Priscilla presumably. I really liked that whole "he killed Luciella so the other Creatures of the Abyss couldn't team up against Priscilla when they realise he was her servant and not because he was conquesting".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Ytlaya posted:

By the way, if you haven't read Angel Densetsu by the same author, you should. It's a different genre (mostly comedy), but it's way, way better than Claymore in my opinion.

Angel Densetsu is really goddamn hilarious. The author's art definitely starts off pretty rough, but it's made me blurt out laughing so many times, even after multiple rereadings.

EDIT: Has anyone followed the Soul Eater guy's new thing about the firefighters? Does it get any better? I read like the first chapter but everything about it seemed basically like Soul Eater redux except completely uninteresting.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 23, 2017

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

DrSunshine posted:

Angel Densetsu is really goddamn hilarious. The author's art definitely starts off pretty rough, but it's made me blurt out laughing so many times, even after multiple rereadings.

I have to second on reading Angel Densetsu. Kitano is a perfect cinnamon roll, and I love that Ryoko actually took the time to get to know him and how they have a perfectly healthy relationship. Even the friends Kitano eventually makes are all solid bros to him.

It's probably the best of the "Person is misunderstood/fawned over by everyone around them" type of manga, waaaay better than It's Sakamoto or Handa-kun. Sakamoto felt too perfect and it felt like he barely interacted with other characters. For Handa-kun, he really doesn't interact with anyone except his rear end in a top hat "best friend" and all his other "friends" are hangers-on who don't even know him at all.

amigolupus fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 23, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

DrSunshine posted:

EDIT: Has anyone followed the Soul Eater guy's new thing about the firefighters? Does it get any better? I read like the first chapter but everything about it seemed basically like Soul Eater redux except completely uninteresting.
It's extremely generic shounen. They're <profession> that fights <monsters>, but wait, it turns out the true villains are also <profession>. The main character's <relative> is with the bad guys. They fight.

Also there's an incredibly terrible character introduced later whose superpower is that she trips and falls out of her clothes constantly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the firefighter thing barely felt coherent, let alone good from what I read of it

the name is also pretty stupid. it's like fire brigade of flame or something?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they quite literally fight fire with fire, so the name is appropriate.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As a counter-review of sorts, I find the fire brigade manga generally pretty entertaining. It's a relatively competent shounen battle manga with good art and good fights, and I pretty much always enjoy those even if they're a little formulaic.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This Rabona arc is really good and I like that since Clare helped them they've been trying to reform the city to be more pro-Claymore that's really nicely done. Kind of irritating that they see hunting Galatea as more important than taking down the Awakened one currently destroying the city, that seems really poorly written and exists mainly so Miata didn't immediately own the Awakened one.

e: also it feels like Claymores going rogue are way more common and far more deadly than the Yoma they were created to fight lol

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 23, 2017

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
the only stand out thing about the fire brigade manga is the art. people who are really into shounen type series to the point where they just enjoy any old crap will probably like it. i found it very generic and boring

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like the swole lady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Depending on the setting and execution I'm the kind of guy who's usually down for some generic fightmans shonen, but Fire Brigade of Flames didn't really do anything for me. I was reading it on Mangastream I believe and they randomly stopped translating it so I just didn't bother to seek it out and keep going.