Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

Have you considered following a guide at least once so you have an idea have what to shoot for?

I can sympathize on the notion of not wanting to follow a guide in a game like this. I appreciate advice on things like "get more health" or "cap resists", stuff like that, but having a linear path feels bad, especially with something as wide open as the passive grid.

I would love to see Orbs of Regret more commonly, just because I enjoy trying out a lot of "maybe" nodes to change up my strategy. Just last night, I found a pair of gloves that had me changing auras and weapons to capitalize on a unique affix. With a set build, I feel like they would have more likely just been thrown into the stash and maybe never thought about again.

But yeah, I suppose your point was to try it once, not every time. To that end, some people just always gotta go to the school of hard knocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

really enjoying reading the posts of people who
-dont follow guides then have to restart
-dont use lootfilters despite them being basically requried
-pick up wisdom scrolls
-pick up armorer orbs
-do the chaos recipe a month into the league
-do the chisel recipe a month into the league

no
no
no
no
no
no

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

-pick up wisdom scrolls
-pick up armorer orbs

no
no
no
no
no
no

:agesilaus:

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

NofrikinfuN posted:

I can sympathize on the notion of not wanting to follow a guide in a game like this. I appreciate advice on things like "get more health" or "cap resists", stuff like that, but having a linear path feels bad, especially with something as wide open as the passive grid.

You can absolutely come up with your own builds in this game, but unless you want to level 10-100 characters before you hit on something viable, you really need to use something like path of building to plan it out. And not just planning your tree, but also your gem setups and gear you can realistically acquire.

It is possible, to some extent, for experienced players who already know approximately how a build works to just wing it, but this really requires a huge amount of knowledge and awareness of your power level versus the content you're doing.

For me, a relatively bad player that has been playing for a few years, I can fairly competently tweak a build I'm not familiar with to my preferences, or come up with my own that is somewhat similar to one I have played before, but only by spending a good few hours on path of building and researching available uniques, etc.

If you're new I'd suggest following a few guides, not necessarily to the letter, of wildly different playstyles to learn how they work and how far you can take them (on an achievable budget). Once you've done that, try putting something together yourself, but don't be afraid to check out similar build guides for ideas.

Or, you know, keep banging your head against that brick wall if that's what you enjoy. Just know what you're getting into.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

-pick up wisdom scrolls
-pick up armorer orbs

no
no
no
no
no
no
I love it because it means the game is still fresh. And newbies are cute.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

some builds are easier to figure out than others

for example, summoners focus so single-mindedly on minion damage and life that it's not very hard to independently arrive at a build that is 90% similar to published preplanned builds

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

-pick up wisdom scrolls
-pick up armorer orbs

no
no
no
no
no
no

To be fair, I still do super dumb poo poo after 800 hours into the game. Just the other day I noticed, that completely hosed my damage by using both Fork and Pierce and projectiles never actually forking, but still applying the 30% less damage.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

-pick up wisdom scrolls
-pick up armorer orbs

no
no
no
no
no
no

I get most of these, but why no on the chisel recipe? They are still worth 1/2 a c now.

edit : unless the answer is "its not hyper efficient" in which case ok

NPR Journalizard fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 22, 2017

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

NPR Journalizard posted:

:ms:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

NPR Journalizard posted:

I get most of these, but why no on the chisel recipe? They are still worth 1/2 a c now.

I don't list items below 3c

leaving my map to gently caress around with a trade isn't worth 1c, picking up white hammers and using whetstones and a map isn't worth it

also I only farm t10/11 shaped maps so i don't really have maps to vendor except the occasional lost maps prophecy

you say hyper efficient like it's a bad thing, in which case lmao

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

[quote="“Meyers-Briggs Testicle”" post="“476649254”"]
-pick up wisdom scrolls
-pick up armorer orbs

no
no
no
no
no
no
[/quote]

Honest question: Would you consider yourself pragmatic, or jaded? If you don't mind my asking, how long have you played and was "use a guide/loot filter etc" always your stance? If so, I guess it's a difference in how people experience these things.

The only time I really regretted not having a loot filter was when (suddenly) I was hitting breaches and things that dumped 10x the volume I had been seeing. The only times I've regretted not using a guide have been boss encounters where the difficulty shifted very suddenly.

So really, yeah it has been a mess, but the experience would have been a lot more clinical/boring (to me) if there wasn't a phase where I collected skill gems or tried to make armor scrap or whatever. The mess is all part of the game, right?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

Honest question: Would you consider yourself pragmatic, or jaded? If you don't mind my asking, how long have you played and was "use a guide/loot filter etc" always your stance? If so, I guess it's a difference in how people experience these things.

The only time I really regretted not having a loot filter was when (suddenly) I was hitting breaches and things that dumped 10x the volume I had been seeing. The only times I've regretted not using a guide have been boss encounters where the difficulty shifted very suddenly.

So really, yeah it has been a mess, but the experience would have been a lot more clinical/boring (to me) if there wasn't a phase where I collected skill gems or tried to make armor scrap or whatever. The mess is all part of the game, right?

both pragmatic and jaded

played since closed beta

the second loot filters were introduced I immediately used them, no turning back

there's a reason people like me tell new players to use guides and loot filters and what to pick up and what not, because we're poured hundreds/thousands of hours into the game and can actually give good advice

if you think running around like a headless chicken picking up bad rares and wisdom scrolls is fun, more power to you. I personally think its an absolute waste of time. I'd rather play efficiently to see cool stuff and make cool builds, and play efficiently lets you do that

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I've got 1500 hours played on Steam and I still pick up wisdom scrolls :smug: The trick is to make their text huge with your loot filter and then you accidentally pick them up when trying to pick up more important stuff.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

NofrikinfuN posted:

I'm super jaded, especially after seeing shitheads like duck and cover ruin guild chat by doing bad builds and then bitching nonstop about how the game sucks and they keep dying

if it wasn't for the ignore list I probably woulda bailed on the guild entirely because of that guy

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have 800 hours played and I'm the kind of guy that hates following guides, but if I didn't follow guides occasionally I wouldn't know nearly as much about this game as I do. Just playing it didn't teach me much but learning how other people optimize taught me how to do it myself.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Pick up every single currency item including portals so. I have a page and damnit if I'm not getting a stack of 5000 id and porta

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

I didn't follow any prima strategy guide for my first and only real character and my bleedsplosion/extra leech/cyclone slayer can at least do to T13 fine and maybe more now and definitely once I have something with 5 or 6 links. Or 2 things.

Sure, I used maybe 50 regrets including changing my bandit quest, but using a build guide without experimenting with the mechanics of this game is stupid.

Now I look at other builds to see if there are any concepts I want to try to steal. Also, Path of Building really helps.

I also still do the chisel recipe because it probably takes just as much time to sort through the low tier maps, plus a chisel

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Does anybody else melt down flasks? By god, if I need a quality flask, I will have one.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I just buy baubles if I really need them.

I'm not up there with the people buying HH in a temp league but I typically play enough to hit 36 challenges and yeah it might come off as condescending but it's usually good advice.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

I have 800 hours played and I'm the kind of guy that hates following guides, but if I didn't follow guides occasionally I wouldn't know nearly as much about this game as I do. Just playing it didn't teach me much but learning how other people optimize taught me how to do it myself.

I wouldn't say I hate following guides per se, but I find it kinda boring and a lot of posted builds have minor fuckups, ignore comparable options or are otherwise poorly optimized.

Like you said, looking at other people's builds taught me a lot about the game though, and while I still glance at profiles or guides to this day when I'm considering a new dude, it's more to get a baseline or see if there's anything I missed when I was mucking around in PoB.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

leaving my map to gently caress around with a trade isn't worth 1c, picking up white hammers and using whetstones and a map isn't worth it

also I only farm t10/11 shaped maps so i don't really have maps to vendor except the occasional lost maps prophecy

:spergin:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
With the Neversink loot filter, how do you tell which rares are worth inspecting and which to just run past?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Soothing Vapors posted:

Don't write off evasion altogether. Evasion can work very well on certain characters (ranged, pets, and totems in particular, where you take fewer hits in general and have distractions to protect you.

But an eva-based character needs a big HP pool for when the dice don't go your way, and goddamn. 2K life is hideously low, I can't imagine how you made it to 73 without being absolutely miserable. I just started a ranger who's level 42 and has 1900 life, and it feels too low.
Is 2k life for any character hideously low, or just for evasion?

I'm on my first character (71 Heirophant) and I have 2.4k hp, and I only have 13 /deaths, 11 were on Kilava in Act 10. Am I just lucky, or am I going to hit a wall soon?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I don't follow guides exactly but if there's a relevant one to my build I'll probably look. It's a matter of has someone done what I'm doing or something relevant/similar before, (almost definitely) and how well did it work. Following someones exact tree sounds dull but if you don't it's easy to take inferior paths through the tree.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mozi posted:

With the Neversink loot filter, how do you tell which rares are worth inspecting and which to just run past?
Green (or other if you have styles, basically neither neutral nor red) background. Far from all will be good, but still, that's your main chance.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mozi posted:

if they show up they're worth picking up

use neversink strict

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Infinite Karma posted:

I'm on my first character (71 Heirophant) and I have 2.4k hp, and I only have 13 /deaths, 11 were on Kilava in Act 10. Am I just lucky, or am I going to hit a wall soon?

Dying that much on Kitava is already hitting a wall

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Cool, thanks.

Side question, is this worth anything? I'm not sure if my senses in this regards are accurate or not.

Otherwise I'm mainly looking for chests with 3 resists + life, or resists + life + more armor + % armor. Or boots with + movespeed and resists and life. But when it comes to weapons I'm not really so confident, such as which weapons are better with spell damage, or how the crit stuff (spell or otherwise) works together.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Eh, thats pretty build dependent. I had a guy die a handful of times on Kitava and then map from 66 - 87 without dying again.

Edit: ^^^ no it's not.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mozi posted:

Cool, thanks.

Side question, is this worth anything? I'm not sure if my senses in this regards are accurate or not.

Otherwise I'm mainly looking for chests with 3 resists + life, or resists + life + more armor + % armor. Or boots with + movespeed and resists and life. But when it comes to weapons I'm not really so confident, such as which weapons are better with spell damage, or how the crit stuff (spell or otherwise) works together.

I had the same tingle, but then realized that the +2 fire gems isn't very relevant because it's on a 3-link. If those rolls were on a staff that might be interesting, but I don't think the damage increase you'd see on from +skills on a dagger would be worth losing 2-3 support gems.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I'm not saying being hyper efficient is bad, but it's not why I play the game.

Some people get their gambling kicks from vaaling shite, I get mine from iding rares.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Devor posted:

I had the same tingle, but then realized that the +2 fire gems isn't very relevant because it's on a 3-link. If those rolls were on a staff that might be interesting, but I don't think the damage increase you'd see on from +skills on a dagger would be worth losing 2-3 support gems.

I see... I was thinking maybe the crit stuff doesn't matter with fire skills for some reason, but that makes more sense.

So any non-6L melee weapon, are there any + to gems that are valuable, or would that always be a wasted mod?

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

I have decided to make a noob guide that will at least get you to the point where you can fix your hosed up build

Step 1:
Get all life/ES passives. Your goal is 200% life and I guess the same for life+es? Whatever just get them all

Step 2:
Cap resists. Try to use gear. If you keep levelling I guess you can grab some passives but that's probably an inefficient pathing fuckup you will fix later

Step 3:
Get life on your gear. Aim for 8k but try to at least get 4k

Step 4:
Uniques are bad unless they do something unique and op

Step 5:
Insert your build here. Hopefully you can do some damage but the other stuff is more important. Maybe look for some useful nodes around those life nodes

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

notlodar posted:

I have decided to make a noob guide that will at least get you to the point where you can fix your hosed up build

Step 1:
Get all life/ES passives. Your goal is 200% life and I guess the same for life+es? Whatever just get them all

Step 2:
Cap resists. Try to use gear. If you keep levelling I guess you can grab some passives but that's probably an inefficient pathing fuckup you will fix later

Step 3:
Get life on your gear. Aim for 8k but try to at least get 4k

Step 4:
Uniques are bad unless they do something unique and op

Step 5:
Insert your build here. Hopefully you can do some damage but the other stuff is more important. Maybe look for some useful nodes around those life nodes

1. how do you know where to go for life/es? "get the scion life wheel" is probably good advice though
2. some passives give resists and are really awesome, certain builds use a lot of uniques and take them
3. 8k life? is that possible without kaoms / some really busted t1 gear?
4. how do new players know what's unique and OP. "chaos damage doesn't penetrate energy shield" sounds really dumb/useless to new players

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
My Essence Drain scion has like 6k energy shield and 2k life but still feels squishy in a lot of situations. Am I just bad? Or maybe I'm taking on maps that are too high level for my current clearing power (T11s, basically).

I know that sometimes it's just the map mods boosting monster power to a ridiculous degree though

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

4. how do new players know what's unique and OP. "chaos damage doesn't penetrate energy shield" sounds really dumb/useless to new players

I just check prices, anything that sells for less than a chaos is generally not good

beyond that look at lots of builds and see what people are synergizing with

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Tarezax posted:

My Essence Drain scion has like 6k energy shield and 2k life but still feels squishy in a lot of situations. Am I just bad? Or maybe I'm taking on maps that are too high level for my current clearing power (T11s, basically).

I know that sometimes it's just the map mods boosting monster power to a ridiculous degree though

Mixing Life and ES is hard to do. Do you have something to make either leech or regen apply to ES? If you're ES-heavy you need to basically treat your Life as if it doesn't exist, you can Blood Magic auras and reserve 70% of it to be considered "at Low Life" but then you need Shavronne's Wrappings to not get blown up by chaos damage, otherwise you need Chaos Inoculation for the same purpose but then you can't run auras on your Life and you don't get Low Life status (since 1/1 is 100%), and if you're going CI you need to drop all the life on your gear.

You can use Mind over Matter + Eldritch Battery to basically be a life build that has 30% of incoming damage taken out of ES instead, then you need Zealot's Oath and some regen to keep the ES on your mana bar topped off, but this prevents you from using Vaal Pact and you have to do all your healing with slow leech + flasks.

Overall ES isn't in a good place and you have to do some gymnastics to include it in your build unless you just want to go straight-up CI, which isn't as good now that there aren't massive ES% nodes behind CI that let you hit 10k+ ES

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 22, 2017

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I was under the impression Essence Drain doesn't actually count as leech so I wouldn't benefit from having leech apply to ES.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Infinite Karma posted:

I usually take 300 life per act as a guideline, then once I hit maps and start getting gear other than random poo poo in gstash aim for at least 4k. Totem builds ar a little safer but you're probably gonna want more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ED applies Regen and thus uses zealots oath for es, right? Plus occultist recharge

deep dish peat moss posted:

You can use Mind over Matter + Eldritch Battery to basically be a life build that has 30% of incoming damage taken out of ES instead, then you need Zealot's Oath and some regen to keep the ES on your mana bar topped off, but this prevents you from using Vaal Pact and you have to do all your healing with slow leech + flasks.

Ooh *incredibly* dumb idea- zo/mom/eb with slayer leech