Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
You can disable those though? I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Harminoff posted:

You can disable those though? I do.

You can still select unexplored planets in the Navigation menu and System Map. He didn't even want that!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

You can still select unexplored planets in the Navigation menu and System Map. He didn't even want that!

That doesn't even make sense.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tippis posted:

That doesn't even make sense.

I think he basically wanted Old Timey Astronomer Simulator

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I did that for the first few hours I played the game, didn't realize there was an advanced discovery scanner so I'd look for parallax movement against the star background until I could honk at 500 ls (or whatever basic scan range was). Kind of fun once or twice but yeah... not gameplay.

Maybe it would be cool to have some stellar objects that were completely cloaked from scanners and did have to be visually recognized, or check out what EVE does with their exploration and crib some of that? Jump-honk-supercruise-scan is pretty tedious even for the space mad.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Considering that we, in RL today, can "see" exoplanets thousands of light years away without any fancy future tech at all, I have to conclude that "Old Timey" in this case must mean something like ancient Babyblonia

:v:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Libluini posted:

Considering that we, in RL today, can "see" exoplanets thousands of light years away without any fancy future tech at all, I have to conclude that "Old Timey" in this case must mean something like ancient Babyblonia

:v:

My general assumption is that when people post paragraphs and paragraphs about how a game should be harder, it's usually because they do not want filthy casuals achieving the same things they already have because they are a True Gamer while people only just starting to play the game are, in fact, not.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

[quote="“Danger - Octopus!”" post="“476620291”"]
My general assumption is that when people post paragraphs and paragraphs about how a game should be harder, it’s usually because they do not want filthy casuals achieving the same things they already have because they are a True Gamer while people only just starting to play the game are, in fact, not.
[/quote]

Those people are entitled assholes. They are the worst cancer for simulation style gaming.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
When does the next big update hit?

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

So the new CG is collecting Thargoid Materials, I went to Merope and got blown up by something at the capital ship there, no warning. Sooooo

1) how do I get thargoid materials that are valid for the CG (the palin one if its different)?
2) what killed me? I guess the cap ship?

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

That's how we had to do it in the beta before the discovery scanners went it. The first couple of times it was quite fun, but after that it was just a PITA. Especially as the rewards for doing that level of grunt work still don't amount to much.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Dirty Frank posted:

So the new CG is collecting Thargoid Materials, I went to Merope and got blown up by something at the capital ship there, no warning. Sooooo

1) how do I get thargoid materials that are valid for the CG (the palin one if its different)?

1) The commodities they want spawn in active Thargoid surface sites (locations). You need an Unknown Artifact to open the door to get inside. UAs spawn in space in systems 135-150 ly from Merope or guaranteed spawns on one of the Thargoid shipwrecks. They corrode your ship, so get Palins special cargo racks.

2) Cap ships will gently caress up anything that get close, so yeah probably.

Have fun.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Dirty Frank posted:

1)

The Palin CG wants items from the Thargoid Wreck/Crash Sites [Unknown Technology Samples, Unknown Resin] and a couple of trade commodities [Computer Components and Resonating Separators] as well.

The Liz Ryder CG wants other stuff from the crash sites [Unknown Technology Samples, Unknown Biological Matter], as well as Ancient relics from the Ancient's ruins. Oh and Explosives too, she'll take those too.

2)

Cap ships are a bit buggy right now afaik, they have a habit of spazzing out pretty violently, it's possible you were smacked in the face by one of them.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I love watching the Fed capship near the ground base and above the barnicle site spazzing out like the pilot is a drunk idiot, its great. I wonder if Thargs ever harvest the Merope barnicles near the base?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

illectro posted:

To be fair... i couldn’t find a decent fuel scoop. Now I’ve fixed that and explore the galaxy. https://youtu.be/47ocKbTSzjo

Hey, unironically the video I linked convinced me to buy the game when I was on the fence. :homebrew:

By the way, thanks for teaching me how to build rockets! :jeb:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Anyone else remember when fuel scoops were cumulative and you could fit more than one on a ship?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Anyone else remember when fuel scoops were cumulative and you could fit more than one on a ship?

:stare::hf::aaaaa:

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Rectus posted:

Have fun.

Thanks Guys!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Man there was a thread about Mobius on the subreddit and there are so many people who are just SO MAD that there are spaceships they can't potentially shoot, it's really funny.

One guy didn't notice the irony of saying "if they split off a perma-Open BGS I would give up my multiple billions of credits and my highly engineered combat anaconda." I'm sure he's just your average player and not just chaos dunking newer pilots whenever possible.

While I'll give them it's a little lame that everyone shares the same BGS it's such a minor point to trot out when you can tell from the tone and language that they're sitting there seething that they can't gank you for no reason in their highly engineered ship.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

[quote="“Anime Store Adventure”" post="“476647049”"]
Man there was a thread about Mobius on the subreddit and there are so many people who are just SO MAD that there are spaceships they can’t potentially shoot, it’s really funny.

One guy didn’t notice the irony of saying “if they split off a perma-Open BGS I would give up my multiple billions of credits and my highly engineered combat anaconda.” I’m sure he’s just your average player and not just chaos dunking newer pilots whenever possible.

While I’ll give them it’s a little lame that everyone shares the same BGS it’s such a minor point to trot out when you can tell from the tone and language that they’re sitting there seething that they can’t gank you for no reason in their highly engineered ship.
[/quote]

Yes this is the distillation of the official forums (and some posters here where it is always hilarious when they melt down over spaceships they can't shoot). 9/10 they just want to gank people to ruin their day. Which is a Cool and Good way to live ones life.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
What is BGS? Battlegrounds?

Getting randomly alpha'd by some dude in a conda or something similar is why I went to solo/private play and never looked back.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hobold posted:

What is BGS? Battlegrounds?

Getting randomly alpha'd by some dude in a conda or something similar is why I went to solo/private play and never looked back.

BackGround Simulation, the component of the ED server that runs the economy, factions, CGs, etc. Some people are Real Mad that the BGS is shared between open, solo, and group so that activity in one mode can affect the others, because it lets players do exactly what you did and remove themselves from the pool of ganking targets with no drawbacks.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
That doesn't shock me much. Not a lot can be done about it I would imagine. Its as close to offline play as you can get without actually having it.

I think the first day I booted this game up, and successfully managed to undock and move around, I got blown up five or six times. Was less than fun.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
do the diamond frogs have a ps4 division? I looked in the op and I didn't see any info on the goon group.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Yes we' accept all. The game is pretty much CYOA, but come join the group and hang on discord.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Hobold posted:

That doesn't shock me much. Not a lot can be done about it I would imagine. Its as close to offline play as you can get without actually having it.

I think the first day I booted this game up, and successfully managed to undock and move around, I got blown up five or six times. Was less than fun.

I have like 50 hours in this game, all online, and never have done pvp so idk how I'm avoiding that. I'm based in Tun if that matters.

I honestly don't even remember ever seeing any non ai person :shrug:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I played in open for the first month and was strictly in the bubble and would see other players sometimes but the only times I ever even interacted with anyone was when I was sitting outside Garay terminal with my hard points out wake scanning and some guy was like "sup" and I said "wake scanning" and he was like, "me too" and then I raced SRVs with a guy at Dav's Hope.

Soon after that I left on a 26k ly exploration trip and had read about gankers (mostly on reddit) and didn't want to lose the 70m exploration credits and 43m passenger credits so I switched to solo ever since.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Not sure why they don't just decouple open, and solo. I mean wouldn't that make everyone happy?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Not sure why they don't just decouple open, and solo. I mean wouldn't that make everyone happy?

note: this poster has had multiple meltdowns over the subject :laugh:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

note: this poster has had multiple meltdowns over the subject :laugh:

:nallears:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Harminoff posted:

I have like 50 hours in this game, all online, and never have done pvp so idk how I'm avoiding that. I'm based in Tun if that matters.

I honestly don't even remember ever seeing any non ai person :shrug:

It depends entirely on the systems you're in. The systems immediately around the starting system see plenty of traffic, and places like Zaonce and Eravate do, too, mostly from the 84'er crowd thanks to them being famous from the previous games. Certain engineers like Felicity Farseer tend to see a lot of traffic, too, since everyone wants FSD upgrades at some point. Wherever the current community goals are end up hotspots, too, of course. Aside from that, though, the universe is just such a vast place that you're not that likely to run into anyone unless they're actively trying to track you down.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Knifegrab posted:

No. That would only make the PvP snowflakes happy.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Just give us a good crime and punishment system so murder-goobers have to constantly run from the law.
Bonus result: now you actually have to sometimes run from the law instead of just hiwaking to the system next door and going about your life.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Just give us a good crime and punishment system so murder-goobers have to constantly run from the law.
Bonus result: now you actually have to sometimes run from the law instead of just hiwaking to the system next door and going about your life.

This too.

Mu77ley posted:

No. That would only make the PvP snowflakes happy.

How would it negatively effect people who play solo?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

How would it negatively effect people who play solo?

Wrong assumption. It would negatively affect people who only want to play solo sometimes. Forcing players into two different Camps for no reason is also dumb idea, anyway.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Libluini posted:

Wrong assumption. It would negatively affect people who only want to play solo sometimes. Forcing players into two different Camps for no reason is also dumb idea, anyway.

Why do you care? You only want the benefits of open but no possible negative? Play private group then.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

here it comes :yum:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Here's one reason solo needs to exist. I suffer from a very serious bug where in open and in pg the stations will magically flip to federation and hostile. As in, I'm sitting in dock or near the station in a system where I'm allied and the station turns hostile.

Did you know that when it does happen it will fire on you? And never stop? When docked I can't undock. If I'm outside when it flips? Ships dead, shield Buster's and rapid cannons kill everything in flat seconds. Literally I cannot play in open if I'm doing certain things for my group because I am unable to dock, switch ships, anything.

But yes I must be an evil person because I don't play in the one true mode open for everyone's attempt to shoot me because some idiot from gci wants to get another notch on his belt from anything including sidewinders. Or like the idiot last night that goes around demanding people combat log so he can get videos of you doing so. This literally happened last night btw. Or deal with wonderful people like maztek who call you a human being if he sees you. Every time.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
why don't they make all payouts in open like 30% more? Sure if you wana fart around in a private server or solo and avoid the player base you can but by making open more profitable I think more people would join in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

punishing people for not wanting to be another player's content especially when a there are no real consequences for being an rear end in a top hat :thunk:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 22, 2017

• Locked thread