Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
It's almost a shame you can only see your own tracers since it makes loving around with understanding the game's physics scale harder.

I don't shoot long range IRL so I don't keep the numbers handy but I'm pretty sure that at battle ranges (The 200 to 400 meter distance) the zenith of a bullet is only something like 4ish inches above the direct line between you and your target, which is fairly minute - it's about the size of a numpad measured from the top of numlock to the bottom of 0_insert. Enough to potentially overshoot if you aim at the top of someone's head but not enough if you aim for the jawline or neck.

Because of the fucky scale on so many other things in the game I'm inclined to believe that bullet physics aren't modeled as well as they should be. I've never noted bullet drop on shotguns even at relatively long ranges for a shotgun, only travel time, for example.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Sep 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Shima Honnou posted:

It's almost a shame you can only see your own tracers since it makes loving around with understanding the game's physics scale harder.

I don't shoot long range IRL so I don't keep the numbers handy but I'm pretty sure that at battle ranges (The 200 to 400 meter distance) the zenith of a bullet is only something like 4ish inches above the direct line between you and your target, which is fairly minute - it's about the size of a numpad measured from the top of numlock to the bottom of 0_insert. Enough to potentially overshoot if you aim at the top of someone's head but not enough if you aim for the jawline or neck.

Because of the fucky scale on so many other things in the game I'm inclined to believe that bullet physics aren't modeled as well as they should be. I've never noted bullet drop on shotguns even at relatively long ranges for a shotgun, only travel time, for example.

What I'm saying is I believe there is some sort of lazy fuckery going on with the bullets. For the most part, I don't change my zero-ing so I'm always set to 100m, but if you're saying it archs (like in real life) then I should occasionally shoot over my enemy's head when I'm aiming right at their head, at ranges less than 100m.

I've done that in Arma, plenty of times. What I'm thinking they're doing in PUBG looks something like this:

It probably flies 100% straight for something like 100 or 150m, then it starts to drop exponentially due to gravity. If you think they have arma-grade trajectories in this game though, you've got to be out of your mind. The bullets 100% do not slow down at all, meaning the time for a bullet to hit a target 900m away is exactly 9 times the time to hit a target 100m away, not longer like it should be. So in short, it's not an arch, but there is a drop, and it drops more the further away it gets. Zeroing still keeps your point of impact true at the appropriate range, and setting your zero too high still makes you shoot over enemy's heads.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I ditched a Vector for a SCAR with scopes and all the upgrades. Then I run into a seemingly empty house and get hozed by a guy with a Vector. If I kept my Vector I may have won :negative:

revolther
May 27, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

So in short, it's not an arch, but there is a drop, and it drops more the further away it gets. Zeroing still keeps your point of impact true at the appropriate range, and setting your zero too high still makes you shoot over enemy's heads.
So an arch then? It's not a supremely realistic bullet trajectory arc, sure, nobody thought it was; but christ.

Considering the bullet comes out below the scope, rises up approaching the reticules zeroed distance and continues to drop below the reticule after the zeroing range, sure seems like an arch.

In Unreal's Marketplace there are numerous cheap and free ways to do semi-realistic bullet physics; it takes like a day to string together arma style bullet physics following youtube tutorials that literally import data for losses to velocity over time and poo poo. Seems overly complicated for them to have made this magical farce bullet system when they more than likely just bought a pre-packaged one, tweaked the bullets to update the server less and make gunplay more arcadey and enjoyable.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
Someone shoot a wall 50 meters away and see where it lands. Pretty sure it hits exactly where it is aiming, not above.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

What I'm saying is I believe there is some sort of lazy fuckery going on with the bullets. For the most part, I don't change my zero-ing so I'm always set to 100m, but if you're saying it archs (like in real life) then I should occasionally shoot over my enemy's head when I'm aiming right at their head, at ranges less than 100m.

I've done that in Arma, plenty of times. What I'm thinking they're doing in PUBG looks something like this:

It probably flies 100% straight for something like 100 or 150m, then it starts to drop exponentially due to gravity. If you think they have arma-grade trajectories in this game though, you've got to be out of your mind. The bullets 100% do not slow down at all, meaning the time for a bullet to hit a target 900m away is exactly 9 times the time to hit a target 100m away, not longer like it should be. So in short, it's not an arch, but there is a drop, and it drops more the further away it gets. Zeroing still keeps your point of impact true at the appropriate range, and setting your zero too high still makes you shoot over enemy's heads.

No one here is claiming that the bullet drop in pubg is accurate. What you are talking about with the bullet going straight for x meters before it starts to arc could be true but don't see why they would code it like that? In any case it would be a pretty minor difference over, e.g. 100 m.

The bolded part of your post is incorrect and maybe that's where the confusion comes from. When zero'ed to 100 m the bullet is rising out to that distance. This means that your shots should actually hit below what your are aiming at if the target is less the 100 m away. See the blue line in the chart below.This is due to the fact the bullet doesn't exit from the scope but from a point below it and the velocity of the bullet.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 22, 2017

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Crap. There going to be a quiz on this because I didnt take any notes. Can I just solve for x and take the shot or do I have to show my work

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Willfrey posted:

Crap. There going to be a quiz on this because I didnt take any notes. Can I just solve for x and take the shot or do I have to show my work

Solve for x man. This is about applying math, not learning it.

To change the subject, I kinda like fog maps now. Had a great squad game yesterday in the fog where we just ran around the circle looking for people, always running for gun shots. Felt awesome just popping out of the fog and murdering squads before they knew what hit them. Had a silenced ump and it was sick as gently caress in the fog. Ended up winning with 10 kills, 7 with the ump.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
PlayerUnknown should send some of these modelers to re-education camps to make them actually coding developers so instead of getting new guns and vehicles every patch it could take less than several months to raise the height of the FPP camera.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://twitter.com/playerunknown/status/911094272648032258

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Whoop, battle bus!

Fog is cool. I watched a very funny round where Sacriel and forsen went crossbows only in the fog. They ended up winning with four kills each.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I just got this press release which makes it sound like Bluehole is thinking about going after Fortnite:

quote:

BLUEHOLE INC. - CREATORS OF PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS - RESPONDS TO COMMUNITY CONCERN SURROUNDING FORTNITE’S BATTLE ROYALE MODE

Bluehole, Inc., developers of PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS (PUBG), the first standalone Battle Royale survival shooter game, responded today to growing concerns regarding the similarities between the battle royale mode in Epic Games’ newly revealed Fortnite and PUBG.

“We’ve had an ongoing relationship with Epic Games throughout PUBG’s development as they are the creators of UE4, the engine we licensed for the game,” said Chang Han Kim, Vice President and Executive Producer for Bluehole, Inc. “After listening to the growing feedback from our community and reviewing the gameplay for ourselves, we are concerned that Fortnite may be replicating the experience for which PUBG is known.”

The development team for PUBG has no relationship to Fortnite’s development as concerns around User Interface (UI), gameplay and structural replication in the battle royale mode exist.

“We have also noticed that Epic Games references PUBG in the promotion of Fortnite to their community and in communications with the press,” Chang Han Kim continues. “This was never discussed with us and we don’t feel that it’s right.”

With its release on March 23, 2017, PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS is a last man standing shooter that drops players on a realistic 8 x 8 km island where they start with nothing in an ever diminishing field of play. Gamers must fight to locate weapons, vehicles and supplies as they strive to be the lone survivor.

In a recent Reddit AMA (e.g. Ask Me Anything) session, Brendan Greene (aka PLAYERUKNOWN) was asked about other companies replicating the Battle Royale experience:

“Other companies will, of course, enter the marketplace, but I would just hope they put their own spin on the game mode and not just make a carbon copy!”

Chang Han Kim closed, “The PUBG community has and continues to provide evidence of the many similarities as we contemplate further action.”
Sorry if this has been posted before. I scanned the last few pages and didn't see anything.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I just got this press release which makes it sound like Bluehole is thinking about going after Fortnite:

Sorry if this has been posted before. I scanned the last few pages and didn't see anything.

Heh, I kind of thought this was coming. The similarities between the two are pretty obvious for someone who has played both, they even changed Fortnite's UI to look as close to PUBG's as possible.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

qkkl posted:

PlayerUnknown should send some of these modelers to re-education camps to make them actually coding developers so instead of getting new guns and vehicles every patch it could take less than several months to raise the height of the FPP camera.

Should only take 5 minutes.

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
Tonight I showed PUBG to a friend who'd been in China for a while and had no idea the game even existed, let alone become as popular as it is. I ended up coming 6th with no headphones while driving my UAZ around honking at buildings. :haw:

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

reskin for OCE servers

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Also note this picture was taken on the new desert map. Certain (all?) vehicles are apparently supposed to be map-specific

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oooh, do we get different plates for each bus? I don't remember plates on the current vehicles.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I believe they're changing the redzone to spot checks for your tax and vehicle registration being up to date

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Maybe we could get a map that's just a huge shopping mall.

Then instead of getting guns and killing each other we could go shopping.

LE
Oct 19, 2002

odiv posted:

Maybe we could get a map that's just a huge shopping mall.

Then instead of getting guns and killing each other we could go shopping.

May as well throw some zombies in.

This can be the background music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JvGspADtSs

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

fornite is such a bad game and shoehorning pubg into was hilarious

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

explosivo posted:

Heh, I kind of thought this was coming. The similarities between the two are pretty obvious for someone who has played both, they even changed Fortnite's UI to look as close to PUBG's as possible.

I've maybe watched 30 minutes of Grimmmz stream the game and I don't see how Bluehole has a claim on anything other than Epic using PUBG's trademark in part of their promotion. Bluehole isn't going to get to far on this I think.

• New guns
  • Different UI (if you think having a health bar, minimap, and compass are grounds for "similar UI" in a first person shooter, then I don't know what the gently caress)
  • Different HP mechanics
  • Very different looting mechanics (as far as looting mechanics go)
  • Destructible environment
  • Able to build in said environment

The fact that is free has me interested enough to want to try it out.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Zsinjeh posted:

Also note this picture was taken on the new desert map. Certain (all?) vehicles are apparently supposed to be map-specific

I could see them keeping the dune buggy and the motorcycles while swapping out the UAZ and Dacia

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

TJChap2840 posted:

It's pretty fun. Fortnite is a game I play because it triggers my ADHD in a very effective way, but the BR-mode is actually kinda good.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
well someone tell bluehole that they just did hella advertising for this game they don't like - I would never have heard of it but I'm gonna try it now

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Whoa holy poo poo. I did not know this.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Ashmole posted:

Whoa holy poo poo. I did not know this.

A lot of people seem to think that it's an ARMA engine game, mostly based on the fact that you can turn your head I suspect

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Bohemian Nights posted:

A lot of people seem to think that it's an ARMA engine game, mostly based on the fact that you can turn your head I suspect

Don't forget the jank.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

well someone tell bluehole that they just did hella advertising for this game they don't like - I would never have heard of it but I'm gonna try it now

fortnite is a bad, bad game that instead of the devs listening to feedback from the people who purchased the early access version of the game decided to just shoehorn in a whole different game to make it not poo poo.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TJChap2840 posted:

I've maybe watched 30 minutes of Grimmmz stream the game and I don't see how Bluehole has a claim on anything other than Epic using PUBG's trademark in part of their promotion. Bluehole isn't going to get to far on this I think.

I'm with you, honestly. There's not an original bone in PUBG's body but Fortnite's is different enough and is surprisingly fun, but the first match I played I definitely did have a number of "whoa.." moments when seeing the similarities between it and PUBG.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

I'm guessing that PUBG never asked to use Battle Royale in their promotions and publications, so that complaint falls a little flat for me.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
If I buy this game and haven't played an FPS in 5 years am I going to hate myself because I'll get owned by 75 ex-counterstrike professionals?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

quote:

Bluehole, Inc., developers of PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS (PUBG), the first standalone Battle Royale survival shooter game

How quickly everyone forgets about The Culling.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

daslog posted:

If I buy this game and haven't played an FPS in 5 years am I going to hate myself because I'll get owned by 75 ex-counterstrike professionals?
No, there are bad people like me playing too.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

When your go-to description of a game is the title of the movie that "inspired" the game, you don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to "copycats".

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Modus Pwnens posted:

I'm guessing that PUBG never asked to use Battle Royale in their promotions and publications, so that complaint falls a little flat for me.

Not just using the name Battle Royale they've outright cloned outfits from the movie.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Do the culling and H1Z1 have a plane flying over the map that you jump out and pull the chute on? I honestly don't know, I can only think of that weird af "Isle of Nyne" game and their drop pods. That feels pretty similar. And it's pretty funny that Epic are paying top pubg streamers to promote Fortnite

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

daslog posted:

I have a 0.2 KDR across my last 10 games, a 40ms latency screen, a really hosed up vision and got to top 0.1% in 4 different modes. If I can do it, so can you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Penpal posted:

Do the culling and H1Z1 have a plane flying over the map that you jump out and pull the chute on? I honestly don't know, I can only think of that weird af "Isle of Nyne" game and their drop pods. That feels pretty similar. And it's pretty funny that Epic are paying top pubg streamers to promote Fortnite

These days the Culling ain't got nothing because that game died hard but if I remember right you fall out of the sky in a random predetermined location in a metal crate that explodes open.

• Locked thread