Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
FFVI Everywhere!

I pulled BSBs for Kefka and Celes on the Soundtrack Banner the other day, and then today I managed to Dollar Pull a Koga Blade ( :stare: ) and the Lucky Draw got me Terra's BSB. (to be added to both of Terra's SSBs, her OSB, and USB, which I already had. I have everything but her Unique SBs now.)

I had purposely stopped going hard for FFVI banners, since early in my FFRK career I leaned hard on them since it was my favorite game, but it seems to still want to keep throwing FFVI relics at me, and I ain't even mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

3/11 - Tifa's USB, Seifer's USB and a dupe Penelo BSB (which I got yesterday.)

Is it just me or is Seifer's USB not good? It sounds more like an SSB than a USB.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Not sure how I feel about this. Fenrir Overdrive lol. Mistelteinn is a dupe. Is Tifa USB any good?

Tifa's USB is incredibly good against Magicite Ixion, so you're all set for that in 5-6 months. For the record, Ixion spams the poo poo out of AOE Dispel, so a Lifesiphonable hastega + last stand + radiant shield is really good, and it has earth damage to boot even if it won't add up all that much.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Polish posted:

I also got the Onion Knight because you guys won't stop talking about him so I guess hes good... should I give him a sword or a staff? Optimize gives him a staff and throws him in the back row. Also, keep burning my mithril on the lucky draw banners right?

Unfortunately Onion Knight has the worst stats in the game until he's in the 90's level range, at which point he rockets to one of the best most well-rounded characters in the game. He takes a bit of investment (in levels and farming Onion Knight motes).

But yeah, use your mythril on these daily lucky banners and look into getting characters for the relics you pull from them. Anybody you get a burst or Ultra soul break for is probably going to be a good target. Doing the weekly events will give you more Soul of the Hero's you can use to purchase new characters.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

bilperkins2 posted:

3/11 - Tifa's USB, Seifer's USB and a dupe Penelo BSB (which I got yesterday.)

Is it just me or is Seifer's USB not good? It sounds more like an SSB than a USB.

It lacks the sort of utility you'd expect from a USB but it scales upwards on damage really well as Seifer loses HP and the 70% Max HP Self Heal is a massive safety net that ensures he can get away with doing it. Subsequent uses will be even more ridiculous with the EnDark active. It's probably much better if you have his BSB too, which lets him cut his own defenses for an increasingly high Radiant Shield effect. The combination of the two is likely pretty silly.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

Tifa's USB is incredibly good against Magicite Ixion, so you're all set for that in 5-6 months. For the record, Ixion spams the poo poo out of AOE Dispel, so a Lifesiphonable hastega + last stand + radiant shield is really good, and it has earth damage to boot even if it won't add up all that much.

Thanks! I'll egg her up.

Edit: Tifa USB doesn't give Last Stand but that's ok. This is my first Radiant Shield so I'm happy even if it didn't do much else.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 22, 2017

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

My luck has turned!

First FFX BSB, first FFIII and physical wind BSB, first FFXI relic and only one dupe!

Also apparently Lion is Real Good so I'm going to have to use her now, huh?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Lucky Draw got me a dupe Edgar BSB, dupe Tidus CSB, and Quistis BSB :negative:

Poison damage is functionally worthless and these aren't even good stat sticks for me since I already have 2 swords that boost water damage. Blegh. Gotta admit I'm kinda salty that I got two dupes on a banner with such a gigantic pool.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 22, 2017

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Thanks! I'll egg her up.

Edit: Tifa USB doesn't give Last Stand but that's ok. This is my first Radiant Shield so I'm happy even if it didn't do much else.

Right, sorry, it's High Regen not Last Stand. Dunno where I got that mixed up. It's still really nice for Ixion, who is a right bastard and easily the most annoying 4 star Magicite boss (if not the hardest -- that's indisputably Tiamat).

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Polish posted:

Okay so with combining equipment.. everything says LOW LEVEL. Do I need to upgrade them to 3/3 before combining them? I ended up selling a bunch of one start stuff because I needed room.

I've done most of the realm dungeons and have about 50 stamina. I did the new comer events up until the last banner, the EXP one. Now where do I go? Try the elite events? I tried the second banner on a daily dungeon, the NORMAL one, and I got my poo poo pushed in real quick.

I also got the Onion Knight because you guys won't stop talking about him so I guess hes good... should I give him a sword or a staff? Optimize gives him a staff and throws him in the back row. Also, keep burning my mithril on the lucky draw banners right?

Welcome to the game! Hell of a time to start, since we have the 30th anniversary stuff going on right now.

For gear combining, one of the the two needs to be upgraded to the highest level. The other item can be 1/X. You saying 3/3 sounds like you're trying to combine 1* gear, which really isn't worth it past the first few days. Both 1*and 2* items are basically vendor trash. 3* gear is usable in their home realm when fully combined, and 4* is even better. But ideally you want to to focus on getting 5* gear and above, as those are the items you'll actually use in the long term. 3-4 items are a good stopgap before you have a large library of 5+ stuff, though.

50 stamina also means you have a lot of dungeon content to go through. Current max is 194 stamina. Look at the the lower difficulty elites, sine they aren't much harder than the normal dungeons. Also check out events, since some of them start at very low difficulty and reward mythril and characters. Dailies might be a bit tough right now, but we'll get much easier anniversary orbfest dungeons in a few days, which will be a great source of gil, exp and materials.

As for characters, your first priority should be to acquire ones that you get 5*+ relics for, and thus their soul breaks. Onion Knight is great, but absolutely requires him to be level 94+, and to have some of his best relics. Basically you want to focus on the soul breaks more than characters. A low tier character with a SB will always outperform a good character without one.

As for pulls, definitely get the half price luckies. These are super good. We'll also get a free one time 30 item pull soon. And after that some amazing anniversary banners for normal 50 mythril. But as a new player, almost all pulls will be good. You just need some basic stuff to get start off with. I'd just avoid pulling less than 11 items, since those always guarantee a 5* item or above. Don't do single or triple pulls. Also avoid the Newcomers banners and Keepers Choice at the bottom of the relic page. Those are kinda dated now and not up to date with current power creep.

Also do ask around for help with difficult fights, and let us know what 5*+ items you've got so far, and we can help you with what is good, suggest teams, etc!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
1/11, Perseus Bow (Fran BSB).

Well, okay. It's not a dupe and my number of breakers are limited. It could be much worse!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I got Basch's BSB and Cid's BSB. I don't know that I can fit either of them into my usual setups, but I guess it's nice having some single-target Holy damage and a Full Breakdown BSB?

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I'm just starting too. When upgrading equipment, can I just indiscriminately use whatever materials I have to upgrade things, or are there certain materials I should be saving for something else? I've been using 1 star equipment to upgrade so far to avoid using a material I should be saving. So far I have some scarletite and adamantite.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Also, I did a lucky draw pull and got a 6 star Brightwing Staff for Vanille (ultra), a 5 star Shura Gloves for Refia (burst), and a 5 star War sword for Gladiolis (burst). These seem pretty good, right?

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Books On Tape posted:

Also, I did a lucky draw pull and got a 6 star Brightwing Staff for Vanille (ultra), a 5 star Shura Gloves for Refia (burst), and a 5 star War sword for Gladiolis (burst). These seem pretty good, right?

Refia's burst is top tier. She does a stupid amount of damage. The others are also good.

In regards to upgrade materials, if you do the weekly events and as you eventually start doing the highest tiers of content you will literally never run out of scarletite and adamantite. The only upgrade materials that you should be conservative with are Rosetta Stones and maybe Dark Matter.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

2/11 healer banner Aerith and Eiko

1/11 BSB+ banner Butz BSB1 after pulling his other two on the past V event...

Maybe I should skip the next lucky.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Electric Phantasm posted:

2/11 healer banner Aerith and Eiko

1/11 BSB+ banner Butz BSB1 after pulling his other two on the past V event...

Maybe I should skip the next lucky.

The next lucky is 6*+ stuff, isn't it?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Absolutely no one should skip the third lucky.

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
3/11 Healer banner: Eiko BSB, 2x Relm BSB

2/11 BSB+ banner: Vaan BSB, Dupe Raijin BSB

Is Vaan's BSB still good?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

private message posted:

3/11 Healer banner: Eiko BSB, 2x Relm BSB

2/11 BSB+ banner: Vaan BSB, Dupe Raijin BSB

Is Vaan's BSB still good?

Yeah, Vaan with his full dive and BSB is a monster.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Polish posted:

I also got the Onion Knight because you guys won't stop talking about him so I guess hes good...

Onion Knight is bad unless you have his relics.

This is true of nearly everyone. Unlock people you get a bsb or better for.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Prism posted:

The next lucky is 6*+ stuff, isn't it?

iamsosmrt posted:

Absolutely no one should skip the third lucky.

Oh poo poo time to keep hope alive

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
6/22 so far. The next one coming up has me all worried though because it's the clincher

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Gotta share this one: the Cloud of Darkness player failed to connect and I forgot her BSB2 inflicts the party with 30 second Doom on Entry. Was one hell of a race to get both waves of Cosmos Heroes down.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Did I do good?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Polish posted:

Did I do good?

y-yeah

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

5/11 :toot:
No dupes either

I have rapha's bsb already so it seems like her USB is a wonderful complement, but that's a lot if gauge to build to make that combo work. Not sure how to feel about it.

Happy to get tyro BSB, a wrathable mblink with some great utility attached.

Cloud's sword is an ff7 sword, something I'm finally starting to need less. Yeah I know the BSB sucks but it's nice for cloud to finally get his FIRST for me.

Sarah BSB seems nice. I have her boostga relic too. Her and garland are my only FFI relic-havers.

Ovelia's USB leaves me her BSB away from a complete set. It, uh, doesn't seem that good? Instant curaja is always nice and hey a big boost to resist sometimes might come in handy (less and less on high level content), and last stand is good, but on the whole I'm not sure it's as useful as proshellstackga or mblink/curaja.

Am I wrong there?

I'm happy to go 5/5 and all but just unsure that any of these are gamechangers rather than "nice toys".

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Polish posted:

Did I do good?

Ya did good! Anything above 2 relics is pretty great, so you pulled well above average. Also you basically got a starting team in one pull.

Vaan USB (Yaguy Darkblade XII) is very powerful, especially once you have the resources to invest in to Vaan. Top notch non-elemental damage.

Cecil BSB (Excalibur IV) is pretty dated these days, being a very old relic. But it's still a serviceable source of Holy damage, especially because the sword boosts it by 20%. Next item also makes it pretty intersting...

Edward BSB (Lamia Harp IV) boosts the damage your party does AND makes enemies weak to Holy. It's also a very good way to debuff enemy offensive or defensive stats.

And finally Aphmau's BSB (Aristocrats' Crow) is a solid source of party healing, with some added damage on top.

So basically: Vaan is amazing. Cecil's Excalibur is a bit weak, but synergises really well with Edward. And Edward and Aphmau are great for supporting and healing.

(edit) Also to advertise it a little, we have a discord chat. Good for live advice and comments and off-topic gunk: https://discord.gg/FAabzfh

Attestant fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 22, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zurai posted:

Right, sorry, it's High Regen not Last Stand. Dunno where I got that mixed up. It's still really nice for Ixion, who is a right bastard and easily the most annoying 4 star Magicite boss (if not the hardest -- that's indisputably Tiamat).
I thought the same thing and I've had Tifa dunk Hydra in the toilet 11 times so far. Oops

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Books On Tape posted:

I'm just starting too. When upgrading equipment, can I just indiscriminately use whatever materials I have to upgrade things, or are there certain materials I should be saving for something else? I've been using 1 star equipment to upgrade so far to avoid using a material I should be saving. So far I have some scarletite and adamantite.

Equipment Upgrade material very quickly becomes worthless except as a source of gil. I have about 1400 major scarilite and adamntite cuz you get far more than you can use.

Just hit the optimize button and forget it.

Edit: Is Yang BSB any good? It's listed as tier 1 in reddit.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I got 2 Disco orbs

One was a dupe, the other was Lion's USB when I already have her BSB, so my XI synergy remains incredibly narrow. I guess having two 6* Mage throwers could come in handy for Magicites down the line, more than the marginal-non synergy increase from combining. And it's not like I need any more power in fights with VIII synergy, considering my Torment 3CM team was just my Fenrir team.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh poo poo time to keep hope alive

I don't know why I said 6*+ since there aren't any 7s AFAIK. But yeah, if you draw on anything, ever, this is the thing to do it on.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

1/11 Tifa USB. I guess that's OK.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Fister Roboto posted:

1/11 Tifa USB. I guess that's OK.

As someone who needs:

1) A good earth DPS
2) A FFVII hastega for CMs
3) A good FFVII DPS for CMs

I'm jelly of people with Tifa USBs.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LornMarkus posted:

Gotta share this one: the Cloud of Darkness player failed to connect and I forgot her BSB2 inflicts the party with 30 second Doom on Entry. Was one hell of a race to get both waves of Cosmos Heroes down.

I thought that was a typo on Enlir. :catstare: Why would you make a BSB that does that?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

I thought that was a typo on Enlir. :catstare: Why would you make a BSB that does that?

Seems pretty powerful to make up for it, though that is highly anecdotal. Also they added some Darkness abilities recently that get stronger the lower the Doom count is so maybe they thought you'd want party Doom for that? :shrug:

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

KataraniSword posted:

To power the doom dependant dark mage teams like Kuja, Exdeath etc without needing to carry multiple memento moris I'd guess.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

To power the doom dependant dark mage teams like Kuja, Exdeath etc without needing to carry multiple memento moris I'd guess.

You know, I'm sure this is really powerful with the right tools, but it just sounds so miserable to actually use. Like, boy, everyone sure is going to hit like a truck as long as you manage to pop off their abilities right when they're three seconds away from eating the floor! Oh darn, mistimed it again...

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Tomorrow's draw is basically trading out this pool's BSBs for OSBs and the rest of the pool is the same. It's not a bad way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Alxprit posted:

Tomorrow's draw is basically trading out this pool's BSBs for OSBs and the rest of the pool is the same. It's not a bad way to go.

I really hope my luck holds. I'm 8/22 so far on the two luckies, which is a complete reversal of my recent luck.

Really really really really really really really really really really really want Rikku USB...

• Locked thread