Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
This may be a weird comment/question, I don't know. A few weeks back I smoked 2 whole chickens, somewhere between 4-5lbs each to the 165 degree minimum temp. It was probably the juiciest chicken I've ever had, to the point where the texture was kind of off/different and even though I trusted my thermometer I kept questioning if it was fully cooked or not.

I realize this is probably just a situation where I've been subjected to dry chicken most of my life, but is there a better internal temp to shoot for if I don't want to scare people away from wondering if they are eating under cooked chicken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Has anyone used older (about 2 years old, sitting in garage) charcoal briquettes (regular kingsford) and had it put out a ton of smoke? I'm hoping it's just water vapor from collected moisture. The blocks weren't falling apart or feel crumbly or anything, so there can't be THAT much moisture in there, but it's really putting out a cloud. It doesn't smell horrible or acrid or anything.

It's fairly early in the morning and damp still though, so maybe it'll calm down as things warm up and dry out.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

This may be a weird comment/question, I don't know. A few weeks back I smoked 2 whole chickens, somewhere between 4-5lbs each to the 165 degree minimum temp. It was probably the juiciest chicken I've ever had, to the point where the texture was kind of off/different and even though I trusted my thermometer I kept questioning if it was fully cooked or not.

I realize this is probably just a situation where I've been subjected to dry chicken most of my life, but is there a better internal temp to shoot for if I don't want to scare people away from wondering if they are eating under cooked chicken?

To be 100% safe, do the ice bath & boiling water test on your thermometer (is it a lavatools or thermoworks digital or something else trusted)? Even if you only cooked to 155 due to thermometer error, it would still be fairly safe unless you have immunocompromised people, but also you wouldn't notice huge texture differences at that point either, unless you're used to seriously overcooking chicken to the point it's totally chalky.

When smoking low and slow, you'll have almost no carry over, so if you just barely hit 165, it probably didn't rise above that. When you cook it normally in the oven or something, if you hit 165, it's going to shoot up to 175+ before it equalizes out, so there's a pretty good chance you're just used to seriously overcooked chicken.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 10, 2017

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Cimber posted:

my last brisket i got up at 5 AM and started smoking by 6. the bastard was STILL not done by 4:30 and i had to take it off at 192 to let it rest for 45 minutes before all my party gets revolted.

Yeah, as others have said, they can be terrible for timing so I always tell people to plan for a minimum of 14 hours when they're doing theirs. If it finishes early, great. It's better than pulling it off before it's done.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
the closest thing my local butcher had to "Plate Ribs" was these frozen "thick short ribs" which are cut across the bone and closer to what I'd consider for braising instead of smoking. Maybe this is a :ca: thing where everyone wants Korean BBQ style.

I'll ask them next time if they can do some Plate Rib style.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Keyser_Soze posted:

the closest thing my local butcher had to "Plate Ribs" was these frozen "thick short ribs" which are cut across the bone and closer to what I'd consider for braising instead of smoking. Maybe this is a :ca: thing where everyone wants Korean BBQ style.

I'll ask them next time if they can do some Plate Rib style.

I've heard that occasionally some Costcos will have plate ribs. I had to ask my local butcher to set some aside next time he was cutting the korean and individual short ribs.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rescue Toaster posted:

Has anyone used older (about 2 years old, sitting in garage) charcoal briquettes (regular kingsford) and had it put out a ton of smoke? I'm hoping it's just water vapor from collected moisture. The blocks weren't falling apart or feel crumbly or anything, so there can't be THAT much moisture in there, but it's really putting out a cloud. It doesn't smell horrible or acrid or anything.

It's fairly early in the morning and damp still though, so maybe it'll calm down as things warm up and dry out.

I've had a ridonkulous stockpile that likely approached 2 years sitting and I didn't notice anything like that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

CoffeeBooze posted:

I love mine. It heats up quick and holds heat adequately for what it is. I just wish I could get a better seal. At that price point I don't think here's anything remotely comparable.

I've used binder clips to clamp the seal tighter or a folded aluminum foil gasket to make a better seal on my Weber and it seemed to work well, temp definitely got more stable

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 10, 2017

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

atothesquiz posted:

Yeah, as others have said, they can be terrible for timing so I always tell people to plan for a minimum of 14 hours when they're doing theirs. If it finishes early, great. It's better than pulling it off before it's done.

I try not to crutch them if i can help is, as i like a good bark. Crutched brisket is just soggy.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Butcher paper is your friend but I agree in principle.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Cimber posted:

i'm dong the katz recreation from amazing ribs. It is so far a huge loving pain in the rear end.

But i had to slice part of it to get it to fix in my box smoker, and holy poo poo did the meat precook look beautiful. That curing salt sure did a good job.

The pastrami was...good. Not the best in the world, but it was very good. I think there was too much pepper involved so thats one thing i will cut back on next time. Also I will use a point, not a flat, as it needed more fat. It also didn't crumble apart. My wife however enjoyed it, and she doesnt usualy like smoked foods. For a first attempt it was pretty good.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Forgot to post a pic from this weekends smoking adventure. The piece I cleaved off and pressure cooked came out great (did it in some cider vinegar, Worcestershire, chicken stock and some spices for 45 minutes). Came out perfectly agreeable and moist, and the bark wasn’t ruined surprisingly.

The rest stayed on til done. It too was was great, just finished a couple hours later.

edit: This was my first un-crutched butt. And the bark is so much better this way. Wasn't as dark as the picture makes it seem but was awesome.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 11, 2017

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

What's your guys opinions on 225 vs 250 for pork shoulder? Was talking to a guy about it and said his friends always had luck and had about an hour/pound cook time.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't think it matters a whole lot from what I've read, shoulder is pretty forgiving. It'll probably be more moist at 225 vs 250 but not sure if you'd notice much difference.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i've not noticed a difference between 225 and 275 but my palate is pretty bad

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

ChaseSP posted:

What's your guys opinions on 225 vs 250 for pork shoulder? Was talking to a guy about it and said his friends always had luck and had about an hour/pound cook time.

It will be fine. Might want to foil it at 165 otherwise it might be to "barky" but that is a personal preference thing.

Liberator_44
Jul 25, 2004
Any suggestions on wood types for brisket? I have a masterbuilt electric and an AMazeIn tray, but have pretty much ran out of pellets so time to reorder. Might as well stock up before the long winter!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Oak

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yup. Oak is the traditional, Texas beef BBQ flavor.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Beef also has a strong enough flavor to stand up to Hickory and Mesquite, which is nice, but if you're ordering general use pellets you don't want to use those on Chicken or Pork (usually) because they will overpower them. So oak is a great general use wood. I really like Apple and Cherry myself, and buy them almost exclusively for my WSM.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

what's the recommendation for pulled porks?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

With pork I usually do apple.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Apple's great. I tend to do 50/50 oak/apple because I loving love oak, with some cherry if I happen to have some sitting around.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

McSpankWich posted:

Beef also has a strong enough flavor to stand up to Hickory and Mesquite, which is nice, but if you're ordering general use pellets you don't want to use those on Chicken or Pork (usually) because they will overpower them. So oak is a great general use wood. I really like Apple and Cherry myself, and buy them almost exclusively for my WSM.

Seconding that hickory is great wih beef (tri tip especially) if you can't get your hands on oak.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
For pork I go apple and Jack Daniel's barrel chips.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'm 100% hickory for pork.

Did some pork spareribs last night, came out pretty decent. Terrible photo, but I might have been drinking.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
i'm going to speak heresy here and say that I dont think the exact wood you use when smoking makes that much of a difference. Between hickory, cherry, apple or mesquite wood the flavor nuances are very subtle and are likely going to be covered by your rub and your sauces. Choice in meat and steady consistent temp is going to matter much much more than the type of smoking wood.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd argue there is.. mesquite def has a much smokier flavor than cherry or Apple.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It isn't heresy it's just wrong.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

EDIT: gently caress, wrong thread

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 24, 2017

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Cimber posted:

i'm going to speak heresy here and say that I dont think the exact wood you use when smoking makes that much of a difference. Between hickory, cherry, apple or mesquite wood the flavor nuances are very subtle and are likely going to be covered by your rub and your sauces. Choice in meat and steady consistent temp is going to matter much much more than the type of smoking wood.

If you're using briquettes as your fuel source, it's much harder to distinguish the wood flavor differences because they have a fairly strong flavor of their own. If you're using chunk charcoal, or purely wood, the differences are much more apparent. Hickory/Mesquite are extremely strong though, and I guarantee you if you toss a bunch on whatever you cook in, and smoke some chicken, you will for sure taste a difference between that and the fruit woods.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've only ever used Mesquite chunks(only done about 3-4 smokes with propane smoker) and I only smoke for the first couple hours. All of my smokes have been really long (16ish for pulled pork, 25 for brisket) and I'm not sure I can really tell that the food is "smokey." Should I be use wood longer?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Stronger smoke flavors are really easy to overdo too. Don't smoke for more than an hour with them, and no more than 2 hours with fruit woods.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Cimber posted:

my last brisket i got up at 5 AM and started smoking by 6. the bastard was STILL not done by 4:30 and i had to take it off at 192 to let it rest for 45 minutes before all my party gets revolted.

I just ordered a Flame Boss 300 to hopefully keep this from happening. Even getting up at 4 AM I've never gotten a brisket finished before 8 PM and at least once we just said the hell with it and ate something else rather than waiting until midnight. And I'm always not letting it rest as much as I'd like.

The one time I tried an unattended overnight cook I thought I had everything dialed in and the fire still went out at like 3 AM.

Hoping with this guy I can put it on around 8 PM if I'm shooting for lunch and midnight if I'm shooting for dinner.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Hell yeah boys Da_Smoke_Gawd_420 has logged on.

(i think keeping the grill in direct sunlight has an effect)

My adventures with the Akorn continue. Fired it up, held steady at 205, smoking like a chimney. Put the 7 lb butt on, and within 10 minutes all smoke stopped. But at least it's holding 205.

Going to be a long and productive day, i can feel it :getin:

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Anybody know a good recipe for smoked duck? I just have a Weber kettle + Slow n Sear and my wife's been requesting one for a while

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I took a 3 hour half-hour nap and it's still holding steady at 225. I don't know how this is going so well.

Letting it ride to 195 internal temp.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

beepsandboops posted:

Anybody know a good recipe for smoked duck? I just have a Weber kettle + Slow n Sear and my wife's been requesting one for a while

Steven Raichlen has a tea smoked duck recipe that I'm hoping to try soon. https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/tea-smoked-duck-with-hoisin-barbecue-sauce/

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

red19fire posted:

Hell yeah boys Da_Smoke_Gawd_420 has logged on.

(i think keeping the grill in direct sunlight has an effect)

My adventures with the Akorn continue. Fired it up, held steady at 205, smoking like a chimney. Put the 7 lb butt on, and within 10 minutes all smoke stopped. But at least it's holding 205.

Going to be a long and productive day, i can feel it :getin:

From my experience smoking like a chimney = bad smoke.

What are you using for fuel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

scrubs season six posted:

From my experience smoking like a chimney = bad smoke.

What are you using for fuel?

Lump charcoal and hardwood chunks.

8 hours in, still holding steady at 225. Internal temp has been 155 for 2 hours so it's solidly in the plateau period. Debating if I should pull it now or let it ride.

Do you guys wrap it in foil ever? I keep it fat-side up, and it's always incredibly juicy.