Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm mostly just annoyed that classic Spa, a track I was driving on for months during the beta, was cut from PCars 1 so it could release with 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

GhostDog posted:

I'm gonna give pCars2 a try at least, I don't care how realistic it is or whatever, I just never really got on board with how driving subjectively felt to me in pCars1. If this fixes that aspect for me I'll happily give them 50 bucks to hoon around in the rain from time to time.

It definitely feels better to me. Cars feel a bit heavier and better connected to the road, also they fixed the bug where cars would sometimes stick together after contact. FFB options are less ridiculous (it's still not super intuitive but it's 4 sliders instead of like 15 and they have helpful descriptions for each) and the defaults are better. Dunno how the loose surface driving is yet.

The idea that it's all just stuff they've been sitting on since pC1 is nonsense. They built and improved a lot.

Edit: Like, c'mon. On top of reworking their road physics, they added an entirely new loose surface model for dirt/ice, added seasonal track changes, implemented an online rating system, reworked the campaign, added a bunch of new cars and tracks, improved the interface in a lot of ways, made replays way better, added triple screen support, etc. If you don't care about that stuff or just don't like the game for whatever reason that's cool but it's silly to say it's just a minor update.

Eyud fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 21, 2017

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Well, I was hoping the multiplayer scene would take off but they aren't even including the league racing tools until after launch so who knows when that happens. I just want to casually race other people like I did in iRacing without having to pay up the rear end to a company that just raises the prices instead of fixing core issues with their game. I had a good time with iRacing but unless they at the very least drop the monthly sub OR the individual price of content, I'm not going back most likely. Especially not after them raising the prices and reducing discounts.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I just Leauge race in AC when I get the itch.

And iRacing ovals

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tuo posted:

I'm also an avid CrewChief user. Don't even know how I was able to race before. It helps so much having a spotter especially directly after start.

It makes me feel like I have a pal :unsmith:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

peter gabriel posted:

It makes me feel like I have a pal :unsmith:

I stopped using it because he kept saying my starts were poo poo.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Norns posted:

I just Leauge race in AC when I get the itch.

And iRacing ovals

I just get tired of paying for 3 months of iracing, getting aggravated / quitting for 3 months then racing again for 3 months etc etc....

Nascar heat 2 is hot garbage , nascar 2003 is old as gently caress and my wheel's deadspot makes it rough. I just want a good feeling nascar game.. instead i just fire up dolphin and play dirt to daytona because my wii and playstation2 are in boxes and I can't be assed to get out either, of them and my copies of the game.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

No one's talking about the Forza 7 pc demo? I know there's not a lot of content but it looks great and runs a treat on my mid-level hardware. And driving racing trucks is pretty comical.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We're mostly talking about it in the Forza thread.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Well, just finished my first session in P Cars 2.
In VR, graphics on full and they have a supersampling slider this time which is ace.
Drove in the rain, gently caress me it is visually stunning, the way the weather moves around, rain and clouds get blown around and puddles form, they actually do affect the car too, I drove through a deep puddle on my right and the car was pulled to that side.
Nords is good, feels a bit different, Spa the same. Le Mans is great and other than that not played much.
In private practice the car is auto driven out of the pits which I don;t like, maybe a setting is there somewhere for that, not sure.
Driving feel is good, I upped the force feedback a bit but out of the box it all worked well enough, seems they put more effort into that this time around.
Initial impressions are good though!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah Forza chat is probably better in the Forza thread. It does run surprisingly well though, they've clearly learned a lot from the issues Apex and Horizon 3 had at launch.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

In private practice the car is auto driven out of the pits which I don;t like, maybe a setting is there somewhere for that, not sure.

Yep there is, I forget where exactly but I remember seeing it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Eyud posted:

Yep there is, I forget where exactly but I remember seeing it.

Ah cool, my heart did sink a bit

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So far loving pCARS 2. Visually looks great, the track selection is awesome, AI isn't as bad as YouTube videos would lead one to believe. You have to set poo poo up just right for that kind of hilarity. Out of the box force feedback is great. No need to download tweak files to make it feel normal.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GutBomb posted:

So far loving pCARS 2. Visually looks great, the track selection is awesome, AI isn't as bad as YouTube videos would lead one to believe. You have to set poo poo up just right for that kind of hilarity. Out of the box force feedback is great. No need to download tweak files to make it feel normal.

I've just dicked around mainly but have liked what I've seen. Feels a lot weightier than 1 in the handling, more mass. Not had any really bad moments yet but plenty of good ones, time will tell and all that but so far OK

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

In VR, graphics on full and they have a supersampling slider this time which is ace.
Drove in the rain, gently caress me it is visually stunning, the way the weather moves around, rain and clouds get blown around and puddles form, they actually do affect the car too, I drove through a deep puddle on my right and the car was pulled to that side.
Nords is good, feels a bit different, Spa the same. Le Mans is great and other than that not played much.
Driving feel is good, I upped the force feedback a bit but out of the box it all worked well enough, seems they put more effort into that this time around.
Initial impressions are good though!

That sounds very promising! Will give it a try either tonight or tomorrow.

Especially like the fact that they improved FFB setup...that menu in PCars 1 was a bit too much for my taste, especially since I always had to leave track, change a setting, get back to track etc. That's something I like about R3E, rFactor etc. for example, beeing able to tune FFB while beein on track and immiditaely feeling the difference. Does PCars 2 offer this now?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

I've just dicked around mainly but have liked what I've seen. Feels a lot weightier than 1 in the handling, more mass. Not had any really bad moments yet but plenty of good ones, time will tell and all that but so far OK

Also sounds very good! That was one of my main criticisms of PCars1...cars felt much too light (at least some of them)...

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

tuo posted:

That sounds very promising! Will give it a try either tonight or tomorrow.

Especially like the fact that they improved FFB setup...that menu in PCars 1 was a bit too much for my taste, especially since I always had to leave track, change a setting, get back to track etc. That's something I like about R3E, rFactor etc. for example, beeing able to tune FFB while beein on track and immiditaely feeling the difference. Does PCars 2 offer this now?

There are two FFB options you can bind to wheel buttons and adjust while driving, the rest can be done via the pause menu settings.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Eyud posted:

There are two FFB options you can bind to wheel buttons and adjust while driving, the rest can be done via the pause menu settings.

Bwoah!

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

So do the full car interiors render this time or are you greeted by untextured polygons when you look over your shoulder? Good they improved the VR performance though, it was horrible in the first.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Phuzun posted:

So do the full car interiors render this time or are you greeted by untextured polygons when you look over your shoulder? Good they improved the VR performance though, it was horrible in the first.

They fully render. It was the first thing I checked because it really annoyed me about pcars 1

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Did they improve *gasp* controller steering

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Phuzun posted:

VR in the first felt like a bit of an afterthought really, this time it's better. I dunno, can't complain and the weather is awesome. Rain in the dark is pretty spectacular. I'm trying not to type 'immersion' but it's the best way to describe it :v:

ethanol posted:

Did they improve *gasp* controller steering

I dunno but it did recognise my wheel out of the box no problems and the controller options are far fewer and make sense this time around

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

That's great news. I felt really burnt by the first since I got it because of VR support. Then they never improved it and the performance when to poo poo when it went from extended display to direct display. So maybe I'll consider the second after they hammer out whatever dlc packages they have planned.

Really hoping Forza gets VR added at some point. I can only imagine that they've atleast discussed it and maybe tested internally, considering the VR push happening elsewhere in Microsoft.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Phuzun posted:

That's great news. I felt really burnt by the first since I got it because of VR support. Then they never improved it and the performance when to poo poo when it went from extended display to direct display. So maybe I'll consider the second after they hammer out whatever dlc packages they have planned.

Really hoping Forza gets VR added at some point. I can only imagine that they've atleast discussed it and maybe tested internally, considering the VR push happening elsewhere in Microsoft.

Vr felt bolted on in 1 but here it feels much more integrated, you have in game menus in VR and supersampling options etc. It seeeeeems to run better too, I've got everything on full with medium shadows and life is sweet

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Just got my copy and started download. Time to gently caress up turns I guess...

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

May the first turn, be the worst turn

DeeMurf
Oct 15, 2013

Grenouilles Sans Frontiers

My first impressions of PCars2 are pretty good so far. Cars feel livelier - the game seems to be communicating more through the force feedback. I'm missing the Practice lobbies on Nordschleife. Seems the new online lobby system force you to set lobbies as races only? The "return to pit box" option seems to be gone from online lobbies too.

I also am a dumb can't get TrackIR5 to work in PCars2.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Phuzun posted:

May the first turn, be the worst turn

Welcome to Shanghai International Circiut. I can't put into words how much I loath turn one and especially two. Basically, my brain is too stupid to understand how take turn 2 without loving up both itself and turn 3 and 4.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

tuo posted:

Welcome to Shanghai International Circiut. I can't put into words how much I loath turn one and especially two. Basically, my brain is too stupid to understand how take turn 2 without loving up both itself and turn 3 and 4.

Trail brake into 1, keep braking through 2, brake some more through 3, take a quick nap then carefully accelerate out of 4. It's all braking, it's basically 7-8 seconds of slowing down.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

njsykora posted:

Trail brake into 1, keep braking through 2, brake some more through 3, take a quick nap then carefully accelerate out of 4. It's all braking, it's basically 7-8 seconds of slowing down.

8 seconds of slowing down? Does not compute...

Serious for a moment: I mainly raced there in F1 2014, which wasn't that much of a sim, and when I tried to take the turn like you said, the AI always overtook me or slammed into me. I never touched the track again in a different sim, might actually have to do so, because the rest of the track I liked very much.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
turn 1 and 2 of shanghai fuckin own, what is wrong with you people.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Turn 1 and 2 at Shanghai isn't even the best form of that corner type on that track.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I just have dreams where I cut off and feed parts of Hermann Tilke to angry dogs. Nothing is wrong with me.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

njsykora posted:

Turn 1 and 2 at Shanghai isn't even the best form of that corner type on that track.

i like the elevation change on it

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I played for about 3 hours last night and I really liked it. I also liked pcars 1 in VR but I have a fairly beefy PC so that might be why I didn't have any problems with it. The lotus 72D on the ring was great. I did Monaco with a bunch of vintage F1 cars to try to recreate the AI madness I saw on YouTube and instead got a really good race with the AI.

Tried some oval racing, the NASCAR Ford Fusion on Texas Motor Speedway felt like driving on ice which is disconcerting but took it to Daytona and it was fine so perhaps that track is just bugged or I'm doing it wrong.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I'll probably say gently caress it and get PCars 2 as well. My criteria was just that as long as people aren't review bombing it on Steam and people making GBS threads on it completely here then it is probably fine for my filthy casual rear end.

Anyone know if it plays nice with the g27 or is my wheel "obsolete" now that the overpriced replacement came around.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ugh bad nascar makes me sad.. I want to nascar offline in a competent sim.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I'm sorry guys, I don't see the huge improvements in driving feel everybody else apparently sees. And the force feedback menu may have less sliders this time around, but they're just as nonsensical as before. Please explain the difference between immersive and informative.

Edit:

Tried the 488 GTE and the 3.0 CSL, then had to stop because I'm getting to max refund time. Where these just bad cars?

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

tater_salad posted:

ugh bad nascar makes me sad.. I want to nascar offline in a competent sim.

Doesn't rF2 have decent oval racing?