Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Paying spirit money bribes to the hell bureaucrats to try and jump the hell line to see the hell emperor faster than all the other morons is the single most Chinese thing I have ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

caberham posted:

So the burning paper offering tradition mostly died out in the mainland because of the cultural revolution. In fact bodies in the mainland had to be cremated. It was only recently that you can bury the dead.

It's come back strong though. I see the paper stuff stores all around Chengdu and people out in parks/on the sidewalk burning offerings pretty regularly.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pirate Radar posted:

Paying spirit money bribes to the hell bureaucrats to try and jump the hell line to see the hell emperor faster than all the other morons is the single most Chinese thing I have ever read.

Or maybe it's hell highway robbers or hell bridge tolls or whatever.

YOU GOTTA HAVE SOME MONEY MAN.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Hell is basically a lot like china.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Morrowind, Mordor, we keep going through these.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Grand Fromage posted:

It's come back strong though. I see the paper stuff stores all around Chengdu and people out in parks/on the sidewalk burning offerings pretty regularly.

Maybe it was never actually gone, just supressed just below the surface.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

And oooohhhhboy has baggage or issues about his cultural heritage

...what?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Everyone's so scared of ghosts, but apparently they are defeated by zigzaggy bridges, so what's the big deal?

Because chabuduo prevents anyone from actually going through the trouble of making zigzaggy bridges in the first place?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

caberham posted:

It never occurred to people that hell had crazy inflation and you burning a hell motor car means people get stuck in loving hell traffic jams. gently caress man, burn a hell-icopter or something.
cabe, you gotta be the turbo nerd grandpa who requests your kids to burn a paper Star Trek transporter.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My family burns money, I just go along in case spooky grandpa ever decides I'm a little poo poo who needs some haunting.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

wait what makes them afraid of ghosts in the first place?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

so spoooky!!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

nickmeister posted:

Because chabuduo prevents anyone from actually going through the trouble of making zigzaggy bridges in the first place?

More like chabuduo led them to make lovely, crooked bridges and they saved face by going "I did it on purpose. It's, uhhh, ghostproof."

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

China's so terrified of ghosts they replaced all the skulls and bones in World of Warcraft with sacks of grain and loaves of bread.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Also they are not undead. They have a virus.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Also they are not undead. They have a virus.

Because they trusted western medicine instead of TCM.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Boiled Water posted:

wait what makes them afraid of ghosts in the first place?

I dunno but it's hilarious/surreal to be talking to someone who in 20 loving 17 is literally terrified of ghosts that said person believes are a thing that actually exists.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
A spectre is haunting Communist China. The spectre of G-G-G-GHOSTS!!!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I don't actually believe in ghosts, I just go along with it because cultural inertia and burning things is fun.

Placating fictional ghost grandpa is just a bonus.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

How is the response of the people when China suffers earthquakes? I imagine the goverment is the usual shitshow of avoiding responsibility and delaying help or other horrifying errors, but the people on the ground, how do they react?

I ask because reading these threads I recognize many of the same things here and so I worry Mexico might be in a 'proto-China' state now where corruption and 'gently caress you, got mine' levels are dangerously high and still on the rise, but now the earthquake happened it's showing that people do and can come together to help selflessly, which restores my faith a little bit.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Zefiel posted:

How is the response of the people when China suffers earthquakes? I imagine the goverment is the usual shitshow of avoiding responsibility and delaying help or other horrifying errors, but the people on the ground, how do they react?

I ask because reading these threads I recognize many of the same things here and so I worry Mexico might be in a 'proto-China' state now where corruption and 'gently caress you, got mine' levels are dangerously high and still on the rise, but now the earthquake happened it's showing that people do and can come together to help selflessly, which restores my faith a little bit.

They burn bags of paper plans of buildings with proper foundations and construction

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Pirate Radar posted:

I'm just thinking of Goku in times like this.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Zefiel posted:

China is the one country that does not experience earthquakes. Do you know?

My mom remembers the Tangshan quake in 1976 where she lost a bunch of relatives. Official figures put the death toll at 250,000. Actual numbers might be closer to half a million. Anyways, here's the response:

The Chinese government refused to accept international aid from the United Nations, and insisted on self-reliance.

Leaders who opposed the return of Deng Xiaoping, especially the group which became known as Gang of Four, filled the press with concern for the victims, but explicitly said that the nation should not be diverted by the earthquake, and that the priority was to denounce Deng instead. Jiang Qing was widely quoted as saying "There were merely several hundred thousand deaths. So what? Denouncing Deng Xiaoping concerns 800 million people."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Tangshan_earthquake

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Zefiel posted:

If it's their own house: lots of shouting, pointing and kicking the nearest still-intact building.

If it's not their own house: lots of staring, hands behind back.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I feel extremely lucky that I didn't experience an earthquake in Sichuan. We were on the 30th floor and I would have been a gibbering lunatic. I'm used to earthquakes, it's just being at the top of a random Chinese-built apartment building in an unfashionable part of the Greater Chengdu Area that scared me.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
To be fair, you have to have a very high Qi to understand Falun Gong. The practice is extremely enlightening, and without a solid grasp of the Dharma Wheel most of the exercises will go over a typical Qi Gong practitioner's head. The Falun Dafa adherents understand this stuff; they have the Qi capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these exercises, to realize that they’re not just edifying- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Falun Gong truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the brilliance in our existential catchphrase “Stop Murdering for Organs,” which itself is a cryptic reference to the Dao. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Li Hongzhi’s genius wisdom unfolds itself in their public spaces. What fools.. how I pity them.
And yes, by the way, i DO have a Dharma Wheel tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that their organs have been harvested beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Quote your avant-garde sources

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Things have changed a bit since 1976. The 2008 Wenchuan earthquake was the last major one in China and the response to it was... fine? It was a huge disaster in a difficult to reach, very poor area and the Chinese government is incompetent, but considering all that they did okay. They initially rejected foreign aid but changed their minds pretty quick and got international rescue teams in from a bunch of neighboring countries. I also think the fact that Taiwan was the first country to offer aid was a factor in the immediate rejection.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Jeoh posted:

Quote your avant-garde sources
I saw it on reddit before that, though Avant Garde is loving great

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/12/asia/china-rubiks-cube-declaration-of-love/index.html

quote:

A 27-year-old Chinese man declared his affections by solving 840 Rubik's cubes and using them to create a giant portrait of his dream girl -- a next-door neighbor.
But, alas, she said no.
Owned

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Loss of face that just stares at you in the face.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
HOW R THEY ALL WAITING IN LINE? WTF?

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Congratulations to Angel Opportunity for his angel opportunity.

https://i.imgur.com/SjMCpJi.gifv

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Bajaj posted:

Congratulations to Angel Opportunity for his angel opportunity.

https://i.imgur.com/SjMCpJi.gifv
And they said the One Child Policy was a brutal method of population control...

Btw, one of the justifications that a lot of folks use for the OCP was that "If you look at India, you'll see the terrible effects of unchecked population growth! Slums! Poverty! Lack of toilets!"

Do you feel there's any truth in that Haier, while China is still fresh in ya mind?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the only argument you need against the one child policy and all of the brutal forced abortions and sterilizations in china is the global fertility rate graphs (and the data underlying)

https://ourworldindata.org/fertility/

tldr: the fertility rate world wide has been in freefall since the end of the post world war 2 baby boom and literally every country but china needed no coercive and inhumane tactics to make this happen (india is included, their birth rate fell off precipitously after the Green Revolution when people were a lot less worried about dying in a famine). so either chinese people are inherently broken and chinese exceptionalism is characterized by their unique ability to ignore prosperity pressures and breed themselves out of existence, and therefore require a saintly authoritarian regime to impose eugenics for their own good, or the ccp is populated by incompetent, arrogant half-wits who would happily mutilate and murder millions of people to justify their parasitic existence.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 22, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

tbh I'd prefer a zero child policy

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Haha, Macau and HK fertility rates dropped to around 0.85 immediately after the 1999 handover. Nobody wants their kids to be born Chinese.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

McGavin posted:

Haha, Macau and HK fertility rates dropped to around 0.85 immediately after the 1999 handover. Nobody wants their kids to be born Chinese.

this is actually true. the UN did surveys on this phenomenon afterward and the primary response from women on why they didn't want to have kids now was that their opportunity was so much worse now that they were going to be born chinese instead of british.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
In China, a big earthquake is a propaganda opportunity. They show a bunch of heroic-looking stock footage of military dudes jumping out of airplanes and tell the public they've got everything under control. Bonus points if you get footage of them lifting rubble off of people or lifting children to safety.

I'm sure the actual picture on the ground is bleak and terrible, but people in other provinces will be super impressed by what they see on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Coolguye posted:

the only argument you need against the one child policy and all of the brutal forced abortions and sterilizations in china is the global fertility rate graphs (and the data underlying)

https://ourworldindata.org/fertility/

tldr: the fertility rate world wide has been in freefall since the end of the post world war 2 baby boom and literally every country but china needed no coercive and inhumane tactics to make this happen (india is included, their birth rate fell off precipitously after the Green Revolution when people were a lot less worried about dying in a famine). so either chinese people are inherently broken and chinese exceptionalism is characterized by their unique ability to ignore prosperity pressures and breed themselves out of existence, and therefore require a saintly authoritarian regime to impose eugenics for their own good, or the ccp is populated by incompetent, arrogant half-wits who would happily mutilate and murder millions of people to justify their parasitic existence.

I thought it was because Mao encouraged all the peasants to have lots of kids.

• Locked thread