Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

1. how do you know where to go for life/es? "get the scion life wheel" is probably good advice though
2. some passives give resists and are really awesome, certain builds use a lot of uniques and take them
3. 8k life? is that possible without kaoms / some really busted t1 gear?
4. how do new players know what's unique and OP. "chaos damage doesn't penetrate energy shield" sounds really dumb/useless to new players
1. Pretend your build is just life. If you actually know what keystones you want look for any life around them.
2. Sometimes resist nodes are good pathing
3. I don't know I think I have like 5k life, but yes, t1 life on gear plus life on as much gear as possible 4. (so less uniques)

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I just check prices, anything that sells for less than a chaos is generally not good

beyond that look at lots of builds and see what people are synergizing with
this also. If you can buy it for spare change then it probably sucks, but a rare ring with ok resists, lovely life and low tier int is still 1c - 2c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Infinite Karma posted:

Is 2k life for any character hideously low, or just for evasion?

I'm on my first character (71 Heirophant) and I have 2.4k hp, and I only have 13 /deaths, 11 were on Kilava in Act 10. Am I just lucky, or am I going to hit a wall soon?

As somebody whose first character died over 200 times by the time Kitava was dead, I want to tell you you're doing a good job.

Then again, I died over two hundred times by the time I completed the main story so maybe don't take advice from me.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 22, 2017

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Infinite Karma posted:

Is 2k life for any character hideously low, or just for evasion?

I'm on my first character (71 Heirophant) and I have 2.4k hp, and I only have 13 /deaths, 11 were on Kilava in Act 10. Am I just lucky, or am I going to hit a wall soon?

you are going to hit a wall at some point with that much hp

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Does anyone have the math on what it takes for switching away from Lycosidae to be worth it? It looks like with Yriel's Fostering, wand nodes, a 350 acc/13% aspd eva shield, and a pair of 350 acc rings I can hit 93% accuracy. Doesn't this still do less damage than just having 100% accuracy because of how crits are rolled? Considering 13% aspd is probably worth like 6-7% more overall damage.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Making your own builds can be fun and rewarding!

The problem is that those builds being any good requires 10x the effort and planning

Source: I've done uber atziri with one of the best AND one of the worst skills in game

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think the benefits are just that you can roll way more life on a rare shield plus resists and evasion for qotf. lyco was never really attractive to me because i like moving fast

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I brew my own builds like 90% of the time. Most of them are pretty good, some of them are total failures. But I know that going into it.

I mean you want to do it yourself by all means, but doing something like that without having a grasp of the basics like "how do I live" or "how does my skill scale" sounds like a bad idea.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Re: HP, 2k is definitely low for end of act 10 / start of maps, 4k is a good point to shoot for (but don't beat yourself up if you can't hit it - you aren't playing hardcore). 6k is a goal to work towards once you're mapping, 8k is something you MIGHT hit eventually after getting a ton of really good gear or buying a kaom's heart / belly of the beast, but definitely not a number I'd even bring up before red maps are in the picture.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Scorching Ray looks really fun but there doesn't seem to be a lot of consensus on how to play it? (There probably is, but im not experienced enough to tell)

Could someone point me in the direction of a hhc and budget friendly Scorcing Ray build?

Cyclone Zerker in A6 is a bit too stressful to play with my health yoyoing all the time so i would like to give a ranged build a go.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

at least play the cyclone guy until he dies horribly

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I also wanna hear about Lycosidae and crits, I remember someone telling me once how massively it actually boosts DPS but I forget the specifics.

I always run it out of habit now, but I'd like to know more about why it's so awesome (and at what point I could swap it for something else if I find something worthwhile).

Edit: Looking at path of building, with only 85% chance to hit, my crit chance of 48% becomes an effective crit chance of of 41%. It seems DPS is about even for a good offhand versus a Lyco, but with the Lyco my average damage goes up by a lot, which I imagine is good for leech?

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 22, 2017

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I just started playing this game with the new league and I've sort of muddled into a mid-80s Low Life ED Occultist that deals good damage and is reasonably survivable as long as I play carefully. There's a lot of really cool builds I see guides for but they all seem to require really expensive gear or you don't actually level as the build you want to play (and I don't have the uniques to speed up levelling). Is there a trick to accumulating lots of currency to buy that stuff?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lechtansi posted:

I also wanna hear about Lycosidae and crits, I remember someone telling me once how massively it actually boosts DPS but I forget the specifics.

I always run it out of habit now, but I'd like to know more about why it's so awesome (and at what point I could swap it for something else if I find something worthwhile).

Edit: Looking at path of building, with only 85% chance to hit, my crit chance of 48% becomes an effective crit chance of of 41%. It seems DPS is about even for a good offhand versus a Lyco, but with the Lyco my average damage goes up by a lot, which I imagine is good for leech?

Crits need an additional to hit roll to count, otherwise they're just a normal hit

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Attorney at Funk posted:

I just started playing this game with the new league and I've sort of muddled into a mid-80s Low Life ED Occultist that deals good damage and is reasonably survivable as long as I play carefully. There's a lot of really cool builds I see guides for but they all seem to require really expensive gear or you don't actually level as the build you want to play (and I don't have the uniques to speed up levelling). Is there a trick to accumulating lots of currency to buy that stuff?

You want a build that is at least close, I leveled the build as I was going on both my characters, but a few regrets probably could have made leveling a bit smoother.

I too started playing again this league (haven't played since Beta, and never hit maps back then so basically starting fresh for the most part). I picked the lab runner in the OP to start and I feel it was a really great first character choice. I was hoping when I started it it'd do a bit more but being able to run uber lab in 10 chaos or so of gear is really nice. I can laugh off pretty much everything in it. The tricky part is getting a reasonable piece of gear to take with you to enchant. You enchant the gear and basically sell the enchant. The head enchants are a major crapshot (~300 of them) so you are best off just buying the one you want. Some of the boot enchants are also really valuable, I made 3ex (ex were only worth about 30c at this point) selling the elemental damage if you haven't killed recently on a koam's roots. After that I started making another character. My second character is wearing 150ish chaos worth of gear and I really need to figure out what I'm going to spend my money on. He runs maps so much faster, I did get a bisco which has helped a ton, I have 5ex and if I traded my other currencies probably another good 400-500 chaos.

You probably have more money than you think, especially if you have a currency tab, that stack of 200 jewelers is just waiting to be turned into gear.

If you need damage look at getting some nice +20% quality gems, some of them are extremely affordable and increase damage significantly. Others don't matter too much or are pretty expensive.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lechtansi posted:

I don't know the math exactly but there's some really stupid D&D poo poo going on in the background re: accuracy and critical strikes

Basically crit has to pass three d100 rolls: two against accuracy and one against crit chance. First against accuracy to hit in the first place as normal, then against crit chance, then one more against accuracy to 'confirm' the crit (otherwise it's a normal hit)

So if you somehow have 85% accuracy and 100% crit chance, you've still got a 15% chance to not hit at all and another 15% chance after that to not crit even though you should have, resulting in... i forget the math but like 20% less crits than you should be getting, probably. If you have a lot of crit multiplier that is a shitload of lost DPS

(edit) random side note: Diamond Flasks are insanely good because they let you roll twice against crit chance and take the best roll, it's a huge effective boost even if it doesn't show on the sheet

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 22, 2017

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Ciaphas posted:

So if you somehow have 85% accuracy and 100% crit chance, you've still got a 15% chance to not hit at all and another 15% chance after that to not crit even though you should have, resulting in... i forget the math but like 20% less crits than you should be getting, probably. If you have a lot of crit multiplier that is a shitload of lost DPS

Chance to crit is as you said, Acc * Crit * Acc (or Acc^2 * Crit). Chance of not-crit hit is Acc * (1 - Crit) [hits that don't crit] + Acc * Crit * (1 - Acc) [successful crit roll followed by failed Acc check]. In your 85%/100% example, you'll actually crit 72.25% of the time (.85^2*1), and not-crit hit 12.75% (.85*0 + .85*.15) of the time.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Your crit chance is acc^2 * crit. The derivative of this with respect to acc is 2 * acc * crit, the derivative with respect to crit is acc^2. So a percent of accuracy is worth acc / (2 * crit) times a percent of crit. It gets more complicated when you take into account non-crit damage but that should be roughly accurate.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Resolute Technique simplifies this math considerably.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

whypick1 posted:

Chance to crit is as you said, Acc * Crit * Acc (or Acc^2 * Crit). Chance of not-crit hit is Acc * (1 - Crit) [hits that don't crit] + Acc * Crit * (1 - Acc) [successful crit roll followed by failed Acc check]. In your 85%/100% example, you'll actually crit 72.25% of the time (.85^2*1), and not-crit hit 12.75% (.85*0 + .85*.15) of the time.

vOv posted:

Your crit chance is acc^2 * crit. The derivative of this with respect to acc is 2 * acc * crit, the derivative with respect to crit is acc^2. So a percent of accuracy is worth acc / (2 * crit) times a percent of crit. It gets more complicated when you take into account non-crit damage but that should be roughly accurate.

I wonder why new players consider this game impenetrable

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Soothing Vapors posted:

I mean the real answer is 'just put all your gear in path of building and look at what gives you the biggest numbers' but the fact that you have to look at a third-party program to do this does make it way harder than it 'needs' to be, yeah.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Soothing Vapors posted:

See my ongoing whinge about how things like "increased damage" and "more damage" are completely different, how +1.5% critical strike chance is insanely good compared to say 30% increased critical strike chance, how the Intimidate on Belt of the Deceiver is really good because enemies taking 10% increased damage is equivalent to you dealing 10% MORE damage (see previous), etc etc

The game is miserably loving pedantic

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 22, 2017

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

[quote="“Ciaphas”" post="“476661878”"]
See my ongoing whinge about how things like “increased damage” and “more damage” are completely different, how +1.5% critical strike chance is insanely good compared to say 30% increased critical strike chance, how the Intimidate on Belt of the Deceiver is massively unbelievably good because enemies taking 10% increased damage is equivalent to you dealing 10% MORE damage (see previous), etc etc

[/quote]

I just got that belt recently and changed up all my jewelry to wear it. It also gives a neat dark aura. It is a good belt!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

See my ongoing whinge about how things like "increased damage" and "more damage" are completely different, how +1.5% critical strike chance is insanely good compared to say 30% increased critical strike chance, how the Intimidate on Belt of the Deceiver is really good because enemies taking 10% increased damage is equivalent to you dealing 10% MORE damage (see previous), etc etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqGvN5zTBTw

required watching

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I think a lot of the weird poo poo about increased damage taken vs. increased damage dealt are just artifacts of how their game engine works that they decided to expose to the end user rather than writing a more complicated system that would make sense.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

- SV's wife on their honeymoon

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

It's really just an ARPG problem tbh- I played a bit of Grim Dawn and the only real difference is that POE has much, much better templating on its stats

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

1. gently caress poe
3. This is what is appealing about poe

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Honestly they've done a lot with the game since 2.0 as far as making things more viable and accessible. Yes, it's still a really high learning curve. But the game is also more complicated than other ARPGs. But at least we're not at 'there are four builds that can successfully map, period' anymore.

I'm betting that maybe even in 3.1 we'll see some major UI overhauls now that the minimap is done. Those UI developers gotta be cooking up something.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also as a bad player, I think it should be pointed out to newbies that you don't have to follow a guide (although it helps) but you should pretty much 100% always plan out your build yourself. Ask yourself, what character concept do I want (wizard that shoots lightning at people) and then decide on a main skill and ascendancy (arc, elementalist deals with elemental damage) then go to poeplanner and throw in a build that grabs like 170-200% life, then all the nearby relevant damage nodes, then any keystones or jewel slots nearby that look good, then see if you can trim it down to like level 80 or so. That's probably not going to be great, but it'll get you far enough that you can fix mistakes. Then write down your gem slots somewhere and get going

Like I just threw this piece of poo poo together in ten miniutes and it's too high level and probably works better as inquisitor now that I look at it but it'll get you farther than just assigning skill points at random

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 22, 2017

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Ineptitude posted:

Scorching Ray looks really fun but there doesn't seem to be a lot of consensus on how to play it? (There probably is, but im not experienced enough to tell)

Could someone point me in the direction of a hhc and budget friendly Scorcing Ray build?

Cyclone Zerker in A6 is a bit too stressful to play with my health yoyoing all the time so i would like to give a ranged build a go.

I'm an idiot poverty scrub playing ziggyd's scorching ray/righteous fire build and I'm level 90 doing red maps and poo poo, it seems p.good. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r749EjIgzQ

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Attorney at Funk posted:

There's no trick really unfortunately, if you want to earn it by playing instead of doing trade shenanigans. Just play a LOT. And you make money a lot faster I think when you have a 'fully' levelled character (80+) and farm maps, while playing through the story you're unlikely to make much beyond random alterations/alchemy orbs from selling identified items, basically nothing you find is going to be worth selling unless you get a really lucky unique. This league is a bit different in that you have harbingers who drop a bunch of guaranteed currency fragments, which adds up a lot, especially harbinger orbs and ancient orbs (and of course the exalted shards if you find any). So just running around looking for harbingers might be worth your time if you can do it fast, but you should find 1-2 on each map anywhere you go. Once you've accumulated a bunch of 'lesser' currency, look it up on http://currency.poe.trade/ and see if you can convert it to chaos.

Some builds are better than others when you're first starting out and have no gear, which are generally referred to as 'league starters', I'm no expert but I think they are generally ones that don't scale off your weapon, like summoners or casters in general, if you're using a weapon skill you really rely on having a good weapon and constantly upgrading it to get stronger. ED is probably fine in this regard though I don't know how well suited it is to farming maps. Also you can make a steady amount of chaos from vendoring sets of armor (check the Full Rare Sets list here https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipe_system), it wont make you rich quick but it's an extra source of income if you can dedicate a section of your stash to holding a bunch of random unidentified trash items

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Probably the majority of my non big ticket item wealth comes from 6 socket items that you vendor for 7 jewelers. Depending on what the exchange rate is at that point in the league, that's 1.5-2c right there. It adds up real fast when you're clearing maps every few minutes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Speaking of items, I got a 75% biscos and I'm probably gonna sell it because I need a neck slot, is it worth divining?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Early in the league (first week or two) you can make good money if you get to maps within a few days and sell cheap 1-3c starter mapping gear, but by this point everyone's using hand-me-downs from their other characters.

I've actually probably made a good chunk of money off getting lucky with prophecies, like the triple master XP one and the belly of the beast one.

nerox
May 20, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

Speaking of items, I got a 75% biscos and I'm probably gonna sell it because I need a neck slot, is it worth divining?

75% is square in the middle so it's a coin flip if it's better or worse. Look at the price of a 75% biscos vs. a sub 70 and then look at the price of an 80+ and see of the gamble is worth it to you.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Vasudus posted:

Probably the majority of my non big ticket item wealth comes from 6 socket items that you vendor for 7 jewelers. Depending on what the exchange rate is at that point in the league, that's 1.5-2c right there. It adds up real fast when you're clearing maps every few minutes.

I seem to get 6sockets in waves, I won't get any running 40 maps in a night but the next night I'll get 3 maps in a row where I get 4-6 in a run sometimes making me portal which is probably the wrong move but 7 jewelers.

It's hard to Tetris 4 large items in especially when doing a set of 10 maps. Since you end up with stray currency and maps in the middle of the inventory.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I don't list items below 3c

leaving my map to gently caress around with a trade isn't worth 1c, picking up white hammers and using whetstones and a map isn't worth it

also I only farm t10/11 shaped maps so i don't really have maps to vendor except the occasional lost maps prophecy

you say hyper efficient like it's a bad thing, in which case lmao

You have a leak in your prophecy game.

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world
I really don't get the complaints about PoE's calculations, the developers spend a lot of time specifically wording things and as a result you can tell exactly what an increase/decrease will do - as long as you understand the terminology.

Sure it makes things complex, but allows for programs like Path of Building to give you solid numbers. In every other ARPG I can think of (grim dawn, torchlight, diablo, marvel heroes) the devs haven't bothered releasing their math/calcs so the players are totally in the dark.

Tooltip numbers are misleading of course, but again that's the case for every other ARPG too! There's too many variables (shocked, EE, cursed, intimidated, taunted, penetration, boss, shaper, covered in ash, etc) to make them broadly accurate so I think PoB is a practical necessity.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Stangg posted:

You have a leak in your prophecy game.

I got Lost Maps and Smothering Tendrils very early on for my main character and just decided to leave them there. Less poo poo I can possibly roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I wish the game had dummies to help figure out clear speed/dps.