Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Ochako's more secondary this arc than Kirishima is.

Ochako's more secondary this arc than lock rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Has she even had a focus arc yet? (The fight with Bakugo doesn't count as an arc.)

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

:ohdear:

I hope this is normal sick and not manga author sick.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

Has she even had a focus arc yet? (The fight with Bakugo doesn't count as an arc.)

She has not, I was kind of hoping after all the fights we got this arc that her, Tsuyu, Hadou and Dragon Lady would get a chance too and that they haven't is super disappointing. Hopefully they get some focus next arc, or Ochako at least since she made that declaration to improve herself like Deku has. She did say something like that, right?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

She has not, I was kind of hoping after all the fights we got this arc that her, Tsuyu, Hadou and Dragon Lady would get a chance too and that they haven't is super disappointing. Hopefully they get some focus next arc, or Ochako at least since she made that declaration to improve herself like Deku has. She did say something like that, right?

yes

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Basically. A lot of her recent screentime has been about her admiration of him (granted largely about how that's confusing her since she's crushing on him as well) and back during the tournament she agreed with Iida about wanting to challenge and compete with Deku.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Someone drag Horikoshi into taking a week off each month before he burns out, please.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Horikoshi needs to do what Toriyama did and change his author avatar to a robot. Then he'll be above human weaknesses like fatigue and illness.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Maybe he can follow Oda's example of 3 chapters 1 break.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love
It would be nice if they let the author get like 6 chapters ahead of publication before beginning the run so they can have some breathing room. Instead of literally working them to death.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Being a manga author sounds loving miserable

Like for everyone stock post-series wrap up interview where the author goes "I'm going right back to work, please support me in the future!" you get stuff like Kishimoto's "Haha gently caress all of you I'm going on my honeymoon three years late" or Kubo's "I had to stop because my doctor said I was going to die"

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 22, 2017

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

TFRazorsaw posted:

Horikoshi needs to do what Toriyama did and change his author avatar to a robot. Then he'll be above human weaknesses like fatigue and illness.

They should ask Araki if he can lend Horikoshi the Stone Mask.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't genuinely think he's got long running health issues or anything but considering he's had a bunch of breaks this year which weren't telegraphed ahead of time, maybe he should say in the next issue that he's taking a month to chill out and recoup and then come back refreshed.

Obviously, WSJ is famously rather cutthroat so he's probably worried that taking a month out is going to get the knives out so he can't.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I don't know if he's willing to take the gamble, but he probably has the clout and standing to demand the time. It's never going to be One Piece, but he's definitely got the footing to still pull numbers if he went indie. Kicking him because he needed a vacation would be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

PMush Perfect posted:

I don't know if he's willing to take the gamble, but he probably has the clout and standing to demand the time. It's never going to be One Piece, but he's definitely got the footing to still pull numbers if he went indie. Kicking him because he needed a vacation would be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

The list of people with that level of pull is extremely short and I sincerely doubt he's on it.

I know we all love Horkoshi but he's not Oda and he's not Togashi. He's still effectively a rookie with a string of failed series behind him and a current hit that's too early to really put him in the big leagues.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was trying to decide if I'd read this or One Piece with my morning coffee before work lol

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Oda is royalty and he only started doing the break thing in the last handful of years out of 20 he has been on at WSJ.

To be fair, they let Togashi literally just come and go as he pleases but for some reason I recall him having a good/iron-clad contract.

The only other mangaka I know that got sick this year was Tataba from Black Clover. He missed I think 2 chapters and had a handful that were really sketchy. Some for unknown reasons, and recently because he had a loving asthma attack and was hospitalized.

This whole arc has been regularly interrupted or short/sketchy per chapter. He really needs to just find a good time to take a month off or something.

Edit: Oh yeah, World Trigger guy has been out for over a year now and his manga was a distinctly middle/upper pack deal. He may never be back since it sounds like his neck is really, really hosed up. I think Hori could negotiate a rest period for sure- MHA doesn't move One Piece level of volumes but it still does really well and apparently just moves a ridiculous amount of merch- also the mangazine in general is experiencing a lack of big hits. Dr. Stone, The Promised Neverland, and Kimetsu No Yaiba are doing well in terms of relative popularity but their volume sales have been on the pretty mediocre side with TPN only recently breaking out of the "sumo club".

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 22, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was reading some MHA earlier and it looked a bit sketchy actually, I think it was around the OfA fight.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It was sketchy during the initial meeting with Overhaul and Eri.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hate-Senpai posted:

It was sketchy during the initial meeting with Overhaul and Eri.

yh I didn't trust overhaul either

heh alwasy been a jokester

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I appreciate the joke.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:same:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Viridiant posted:

:ohdear:

I hope this is normal sick and not manga author sick.

Yeah this is the first thing I thought, especially after that one super unfinished chapter a months ago. I hope he isn't killing himself.

:(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

"Manga author sick" being "people might be upset if we call it karoshi"?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Manga artists seriously need some sort of union to protect them from not only their publishers but also each other. The industry that pretty much requires them to work to death otherwise one of their competitors will get a chance to swoop in and ruin them is pretty disgusting. I get that entertainment is cut throat, but there's no reason that anyone couldn't have Oda's schedule by default and they just organize everyone's chapters around that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Radish posted:

Manga artists seriously need some sort of union to protect them from not only their publishers but also each other. The industry that pretty much requires them to work to death otherwise one of their competitors will get a chance to swoop in and ruin them is pretty disgusting. I get that entertainment is cut throat, but there's no reason that anyone couldn't have Oda's schedule by default and they just organize everyone's chapters around that.
The whole industry kind of feels like it's dancing on the edge of a bubble. Everyone in the business has to work halfway to death in order to keep up, the average population is getting older, and of the young people that do exist, more and more of them are also getting exposed to foreign comics/etc. It seems like it's only a matter of time before something gives.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Fabricated posted:

The only other mangaka I know that got sick this year was Tataba from Black Clover. He missed I think 2 chapters and had a handful that were really sketchy. Some for unknown reasons, and recently because he had a loving asthma attack and was hospitalized.

This whole arc has been regularly interrupted or short/sketchy per chapter. He really needs to just find a good time to take a month off or something.

I thought those sketchy chapters happened because of the respective animes but I could see it happening because of illness.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Their work ethic is incredible to me because if I overeat and feel bloated I just sleep the rest of the day.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
New Illegals! In which we remember that, oh yeah, Kouichi has a life, kind of.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Looks like we have a Lois Lane of sorts.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's interesting that this chapter actually delves into the history of how the whole hero system came to be. It pretty much sounds like "what if Iron Man won in Captain America: Civil War?" to me. I wonder how much input Horikoshi has here?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Poltergrift posted:

Pop is a goblin and that's good.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Hahaha Rhode Island, huh? Maybe ... Paragon City, R.I.?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Radish posted:

It's all Osamu Tezuka's fault. He had such an insane work ethic that it set an impossible standard for everyone else. Of course, it probably helped that he had a relatively simple style and reused character designs and personalities all the time. Not as many people imitate that part, sadly.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Begemot posted:

It's all Osamu Tezuka's fault. He had such an insane work ethic that it set an impossible standard for everyone else. Of course, it probably helped that he had a relatively simple style and reused character designs and personalities all the time. Not as many people imitate that part, sadly.

Yeah I actually saw some artists complaining a little while ago not to treat that guy like a god since he (I hope inadvertently) standardized a lot of the horrible working conditions that modern comic creators are expected to follow.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Hero Sociology is exactly the sort of stuff I want from a MHA side story.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Poltergrift posted:

I like that Pop calls it *our* house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Saturday 9/9? Are we weeks behind, or was the date wrong?