Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nevvy Z posted:

Of course they do. The upshot is no one should use "what about the other guys" as a deflection. Nevertheless, they persist.

Maybe you should work on bettering yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

Maybe you should work on bettering yourself?

How so?

Be specific please.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Don't trust McCain. Even if he votes no.

He'll be morally correct to vote no but still don't trust him.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Shuka posted:

McCain is like a real live Darth Vader and he's tired of the emperor zapping him with all that lightning.

You say that, but...

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nevvy Z posted:

How so?

Be specific please.

First you could learn what whataboutism actually means, and then you could address what I wrote in at least semi-good faith.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Nevvy Z posted:

How so?

Be specific please.

I do not anticipate a substantive response.

Next part is unrelated to you

Everybody is racist, it's in your DNA. Tribal thinking, in and out groups, association and identity. These things are all bias and not founded in logic. Every single person will unwittingly do stupid and racist poo poo, and has to live a self examined life to moderate it. This is not a problem that is solved, it's managed, and evident in many social constructs.

Edit - Mjorian well played

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shuka posted:

Also, everybody is racist, it's in your DNA. Tribal thinking, in and out groups, association and identity. These things are all bias and not founded in logic. Every single person will unwittingly do stupid and racist poo poo, and has to live a self examined life to moderate it. This is not a problem that is solved, it's managed, and evident in many social constructs.

how dare you say this when you have not personally scrutinized hillary clinton's dna. you're just trying to divide the left

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Shuka posted:

I do not anticipate a substantive response.

Next part is unrelated to you

Everybody is racist, it's in your DNA. Tribal thinking, in and out groups, association and identity. These things are all bias and not founded in logic. Every single person will unwittingly do stupid and racist poo poo, and has to live a self examined life to moderate it. This is not a problem that is solved, it's managed, and evident in many social constructs.

Why not? And also yeah, agreed.

Cerebral Bore posted:

First you could learn what whataboutism actually means, and then you could address what I wrote in at least semi-good faith.

What you wrote was "this other group, they are the real racists." I don't see the use in us all circle jerking about how terrible a group of people no one here identifies as, seems to me to be a deflection. Do you have a definition of whataboutism that doesn't fit?

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 22, 2017

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
I apologize!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Shuka posted:

McCain is like a real live Darth Vader and he's tired of the emperor zapping him with all that lightning.

All Darth Vader wanted was regular order.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/911298331669868545

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

What you wrote was "this other group, they are the real racists." I don't see the use in us all circle jerking about how terrible a group of people no one here identifies as, seems to me to be a deflection. Do you have a definition of whataboutism that doesn't fit?

CB guess if you were just saying "yeah, but the other guys are racists too" then yeah. I agree. :glomp:

Lets work on bettering ourselves AND yelling at them to better themselves.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Condiv posted:

iirc, a lot of crimes like rape are able to be committed by white people on reservations and our courts will refuse to make them subject to the laws of the tribes who govern the reservation. tackling problems like that seems like something that should be done.

When I point this out to my friends, they refuse to believe me and prefer to think it’s all internal.

Talking about the Canadian problem with missing and murdered First Nations women, but I think it applies here too.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sadly we all know that the only majority of Americans that Republicans care about is the majority of American net worth.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nevvy Z posted:

CB guess if you were just saying "yeah, but the other guys are racists too" then yeah. I agree. :glomp:

Lets work on bettering ourselves AND yelling at them to better themselves.

Buddy, not to stick it to you or anything, but look at this here:

Cerebral Bore posted:

I think the big sticking point among leftists isn't the idea that racism exists on the left, because it sure as hell does exist and thus should and must be addressed, but that the liberal establishment and commentariat have a laser focus on the racism that does exist on the left while quietly sweeping the racism that does exist in the centre under the rug, and then using this purported moral superiority as a silencing and erasing tactic against the left.

So maybe read stuff a bit more carefully next time?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Democrats would absolutely not pass single-payer healthcare if they had control of Congress.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

Buddy, not to stick it to you or anything, but look at this here:

So maybe read stuff a bit more carefully next time?

Let me roleplay a centrist dem for a second.

"Racism exists in the center and should be addressed. Now can we talk about how racism on the left?"

Round and round it goes.

Maybe just focus on improving yourself and those you know instead of digging for excuses to bash your perceived enemies.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/blavity/status/911296622226759680

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

yikes, from 85% to 74%. a stunning rejection

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

boner confessor posted:

Literally decimated.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

accurate

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nevvy Z posted:

Let me roleplay a centrist dem for a second.

"Racism exists in the center and should be addressed. Now can we talk about how racism on the left?"

Round and round it goes.

Except that's not what I was addressing ya dingus. I was addressing the fact that the centrist establishment would never acknowledge its own racism in any significant way.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The Kingfish posted:

Democrats would absolutely not pass single-payer healthcare if they had control of Congress.

Depends what you mean by control. If you mean a 10-seat majority in the house and maybe a 3-seat majority in the Senate plus the white house, then no, I don't think they would. They'd probably make some changes to Obamacare to make it the best and strongest system it can be, maybe put in a public option, and try to figure out a way to make states accept medicaid expansion in a way the courts would endorse.

If they had a huge supermajority, then they might go for single payer.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

boner confessor posted:

An 11% drop among a steady, loyal voter bloc is quite a drop and -should- send alarms ringing. If a headline of "NRA members support for the GOP drops from 90% to 80%", you can bet the GOP would poo poo its pants, and for good reason.

If you want to be a relevant, effective political force, that is.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sephyr posted:

An 11% drop among a steady, loyal voter bloc is quite a drop and -should- send alarms ringing. If a headline of "NRA members support for the GOP drops from 90% to 80%", you can bet the GOP would poo poo its pants, and for good reason.

hey i hate to break it to you but if you read the article you'll find that the question was not "do you support the democratic party"

i know that might be a lot to ask though

Cerebral Bore posted:

Let me guess, you're not going to need those votes anyway?

hey maybe read the article. or don't. your choice. i would suggest you read the article though to find out what the survey results actually were before you start speaking authoritatively about how this spells doom for the centrist liberals

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

Look dude, for every black female voter the Democrats lose, they'll gain two white affluent suburbanite never-Trumpers, you'll see.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

boner confessor posted:

hey i hate to break it to you but if you read the article you'll find that the question was not "do you support the democratic party"

:thunk:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

boner confessor posted:

Enthusiasm matters, friend.

edit: and I'd say especially so when it comes to a group that has to go through a shitload of vote suppressing tactics to cast their vote

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Oh Snapple! posted:

Enthusiasm matters, friend.

so does reading articles and understanding the content of them. i know it's not as fun as just making things up to fit your political perceptions but it is necessary once in a while to read a thing

am i going to have another bunch of people calling me a cryptoracist class traitor for expressing critical thought, can we just skip that part please

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I'm shocked, shocked that boner confessor would discount the feelings and opinions of women of color.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

Except that's not what I was addressing ya dingus. I was addressing the fact that the centrist establishment would never acknowledge its own racism in any significant way.

To what end?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

To what end?

I think to point out the hypocrisy in centrists claiming that the left's racism is unexamined, when their own is very underexamined.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Majorian posted:

I think to point out the hypocrisy in centrists claiming that the left's racism is unexamined, when their own is very underexamined.

So... what about the centrist establishment?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

So... what about the centrist establishment?

Are you asking genuinely? Because I don't think centrists have really, publicly tackled poo poo like the Clinton's racist policies in the 90's, or Hillary's extremely dogwhistle-y primary campaign in '08.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nevvy Z posted:

To what end?

As mentioned, to be able to use their purported not-racistness versus the left's purported super-racistness to silence criticism from the left. And don't even pretend that this hasn't happened.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

As mentioned, to be able to use their purported not-racistness versus the left's purported super-racistness to silence criticism from the left. And don't even pretend that this hasn't happened.

Show me people purporting this?

Don't get me wrong, you are kicking the poo poo out of straw centrists up and down this thread, but I can't figure out what the point is except to yell "dems are bad" a lot?

It seems like you just wanted us to stop talking about the other racism that was being talked about.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nevvy Z posted:

I can't figure out what the point is except to yell "dems are bad" a lot?

i think you've figured it out

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

Show me people purporting this?

The Symone Sanders piece cites a lot of examples in the press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Majorian posted:

Maybe don't use my wording and point when talking about centrists. It comes off as directed towards me when you do that, and I ain't a centrist. Like I said earlier, literally a Maoist

• Locked thread