Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I was going to say the single-ownership thing needs to go away, but then I realized that would give Kronke full reign over the Rapids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yeah, um, individual lovely owners/lovely FOs will always be with us whatever the structure of the league (barring the revolution and the dictatorship of the proletariat, anyway). Hell, sometimes it is the SAME lovely owners.

That said I'd like to reiterate:

Dallan Invictus posted:

Counterpoint: the expansion teams are by and large the ones that give a poo poo. Keep expanding until we have enough Actually Ambitious teams to contract DC and maybe, just maybe, you can finally be happy.

Fancy, how's that compare to the supporters' section at RFK though (aside from the ST requirement anyway)?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

At least some structures innately punish poorly-run teams instead of making it impossible to fail.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yeah, um, individual lovely owners/lovely FOs will always be with us whatever the structure of the league (barring the revolution and the dictatorship of the proletariat, anyway). Hell, sometimes it is the SAME lovely owners.

That said I'd like to reiterate:

Fancy, how's that compare to the supporters' section at RFK though (aside from the ST requirement anyway)?

It's not 1,500 people strong. The supporters side is the TV side, and I would wager they're about 2500-3500 on any given match day. We buy game by game from our various people; Barra and Ultras make it a bit more unstructured, and the Eagles have it more orderly. We can order our tickets day of, or reserve ahead of time without penalty if we don't take them all.

It's been very loose and lasseiz-faire and it's worked for 22 years. In terms of advertising, our word of mouth is all they've had since probably 2011, because there were bus ads for Dax McCarty (THE ENGINE) the last time they tried.

They really, truly believe that the stadium is going to solve all their problems, and that season tickets are going to fall like rain instead of game day purchases. They're gonna be right for a few games, and then the pile of three-a-week home games to make up for the nearly full away game slate to start the season is going to make RBA look like the Big House. It's gonna be bad, and they don't care, because they can still report a profit compared to RFK.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Like, the only reason I show up now is for my friends, because eight years of Benny Ball and an increasingly hostile front office has made this feel like a chore, and they're counting on us to be addicts. And gently caress y'all, I know how to kick that poo poo.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Have you considered: Canadian Premier League

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Dallas is in 8th place in the West and Toronto cracked the 60 point mark with 5 games to go :psyduck:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
gently caress it, I'm a Toronto FC fan now. The Rapids are dead to me.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I just walked by David Villa in the Denver airport and he is a tiny little man.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Gigi Galli posted:

I just walked by David Villa in the Denver airport and he is a tiny little man.

Is he as handsome in person as he is in photos?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Wirth1000 posted:

Is he as handsome in person as he is in photos?

The top of his head is well groomed.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I just googled his height and he's 2 inches taller than me, lol.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Wirth1000 posted:

I just googled his height and he's 2 inches taller than me, lol.

Didn't know giovinco posted here

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Seltzer posted:

Didn't know giovinco posted here

Lol giovinco is 3 inches shorter than me. This is some Russian nesting doll poo poo.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So...what to make of this?

https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/status/909224612939960321

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I am very happy that Valeri was able to set the record for scoring in 8 consecutive matches with a real pretty headed goal against Rimando.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Considering we're still paying Chris Rolfe to live in the Safeway in Alexandria, that's some poo poo. gently caress the Quakes

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

highme posted:

I am very happy that Valeri was able to set the record for scoring in 8 consecutive matches with a real pretty headed goal against Rimando.

Even crazier, he never scored a goal with his head before this season. I think he has at least 3 or 4 this year alone. I was worried El Maestro might not have the physical capabilities to last in this league, but I'm thinking he'll be useful for at least a few more years.

That said, every time I think the Timbers are about to be good again, they put on a performance like they did against RSL.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Welcome to GBS posted:

Even crazier, he never scored a goal with his head before this season. I think he has at least 3 or 4 this year alone. I was worried El Maestro might not have the physical capabilities to last in this league, but I'm thinking he'll be useful for at least a few more years.

That said, every time I think the Timbers are about to be good again, they put on a performance like they did against RSL.

He has 5! I forget where I read that, though.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

wicka posted:

At least some structures innately punish poorly-run teams instead of making it impossible to fail.

Those structures don't innately punish poorly run teams, they punish poorly financed teams. Kroenke is just as poo poo an owner for Arsenal as he is for the Rapids, but Arsenal being relegated is about as likely as MLS adopting pro/rel (arguably it is even less likely), because while there may be seventeen teams in the PL that are better run or have more ambitious owners than Arsenal, there are absolutely not seventeen teams that are richer than they are and can afford to pay better players than they can, and this is what actually matters in the structures you are referring to.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 18, 2017

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Jay Heaps is out in New England.

Only Peter Vermes is longer tenured at his club than Ben Olsen.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

El Jebus posted:

He has 5! I forget where I read that, though.

It was mentioned on the broadcast.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Jay Heaps is out in New England.

god yes

Duke Silver
Nov 6, 2011

Saxiest Man Alive

Try not to get too excited.

https://twitter.com/mlstransfers/status/909961198136889344

Everyone I've heard from seems to want either Savarese or :love: Steve Ralston :love: but I guess I'm just conditioned to expect less. I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck with Tom Soehn or brought in Paul Mariner, either.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
This is a good thing, but nothing will change unless the whole front office goes too or Kraft remembers that he owns a soccer team.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Popero posted:

This is a good thing, but nothing will change unless the whole front office goes too or Kraft remembers that he owns a soccer team.

I don't think this is true. Jay's management of the side was stagnant and he was running out of ideas, which he never really had too of many to begin with. On the pitch I expect things to improve provided an actual manager is hired as a replacement.

In terms of the team as an organization then yeah, agreed.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Flags Of The World posted:

Try not to get too excited.

listen I have been disdainful of the direction Heaps took this club for like years now, I am going to revel in his ousting even if it means sacrificing the next season to a mediocre rebuilding process.

hell, like everyone else is saying, I'm not even confident there will be a rebuilding at all unless the FO hits the door too. but god drat this is progress. at least we're not just floating in the ether

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017
Open Cup final hype. (Here's hoping that it doesn't go to PKs :eng99: )

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Papal Mainframe posted:

Open Cup final hype. (Here's hoping that it doesn't go to PKs :eng99: )

Red Bulls gonna win.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
[citation needed

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i say gently caress the cup, I have my own game tonight and like 4 of our guys are going to the game including our outstanding goalie, which means I'm gonna have to run a lot more and also deal with a bad goalie behind me

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017

Shrapnig posted:

Red Bulls gonna win.

You were saying? :agesilaus:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Up the sportings, etc. This will make our first round playoff exit more palatable, again.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Nostradingus posted:

Up the sportings, etc. This will make our first round playoff exit more palatable, again.

They're consistently Good. Is that more or less frustrating?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

In MLS, consistently good is fine because as long as you're consistently good you can stumble your way into some silverware.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Crazy Ted posted:

In MLS, consistently good is fine because as long as you're consistently good you can stumble your way into some silverware.

unless you root for the New York Red Bulls

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

unless you root for the New York Red Bulls

Mods!

Technically the Red Bulls have won two consistency trophies.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What's it like being the fan of a good or even mediocre team?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I mean, I guess I should appreciate what I have. It's the same as being a Chiefs fan over the last couple years. It does feel like the FO uses our minor successes as an excuse not to invest in the team sometimes though.

This has been a cool season. I was skeptical of Atlanta getting the expansion but they've built a team the right way and the city seems to accept the club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I hate this stupid loving team.

https://twitter.com/MLSist/status/911214848213647360/photo/1

• Locked thread