Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So weird to see so many horror icons reimagined as Mexican wrestlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
All of these Twilight Time releases are on sale for ten bucks until the 29th:

YENTL
FUNNY LADY
INHERIT THE WIND
HEAVEN & EARTH
THE FORTUNE
BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ
WHEN THE WIND BLOWS
FLAMING STAR
AUDREY ROSE
THE BELIEVERS
THE VANISHING
UNDER FIRE
THE KILLER ELITE
SALVADOR
THE DOGS OF WAR
CHE!
FOLLOW THAT DREAM
SECRET OF SANTA VITTORIA
RIFF RAFF / RAINING STONES
VIOLENT SATURDAY
RADIO DAYS
SAVE YOUR LEGS!
RESURRECTED
FATE IS THE HUNTER
THE FIRM
MR HOBBS TAKES A VACATION
RITA, SUE, AND BOB TOO
FEVER PITCH
CONRACK
TITUS

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

CPL593H posted:

RITA, SUE, AND BOB TOO

Throwing my endorsement behind this one. My favorite Alan Clarke I've seen, and one of my favorite British films in general.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If you want to skip having to deal with Twilight Time or Screen Archives directly, a lot of films have UK releases through Indicator and Masters of Cinema. Same masters, if not better, plus tons of extras. They even include the TT commentaries and music tracks for some films. They're all region free and dual format in most cases.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=indicator+blu-ray

http://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/products

https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk

MoC's A Man for All Seasons has both the original mono and Sony's 5.1 remix, while TT only had the 5.1 remix (though, based on the original 4-track mix).

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 21, 2017

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CPL593H posted:

FEVER PITCH

Is this the Jimmy Fallon one or the original?

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
I didn't see this mentioned on here, but the BFI is bringing Celine & Julie Go Boating to blu:

https://twitter.com/bfi/status/908803631717273602

C&J is probably my favorite Rivette, so this is incredible news; hopefully they use the super-stylized subtitle font from the original release!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
A person on the BluRay.com forums that apparently works for VS confirmed that the sale will take place within a week.

Not much info, and hell if I know if said forums poster actually works for VS.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I Before E posted:

Is this the Jimmy Fallon one or the original?

Original.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Arrow is releasing a 4k Carrie Limited to 5000 copies.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Region B :negative:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

GET YOURSELF A REGION FREE PLAYER. DO IT.

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

It's on my list of things to get sometime next year :smith:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If I could I'd buy region free players for people on here as gifts/prizes. It's so worth it in our current era of amazing home releases.

e: i just want people to get enjoy all these slick remasters

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 22, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

UV code for Wonder Woman. Please post if you use it so others don't bother: TAKEN!

MacheteZombie posted:

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

Is there a good region-free 4k Blu-ray player? Or, I guess, a good, relatively cheap region-free non-4k Blu-ray player, on the theory I could just own two Blu-ray players?

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 22, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

UV code for Wonder Woman. Please post if you use it so others don't bother: KWK6VHYJ4YT3.

Is there a good region-free 4k Blu-ray player? Or, I guess, a good, relatively cheap region-free non-4k Blu-ray player, on the theory I could just own two Blu-ray players?

I own this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M0UC4K2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Most the time I see Sony's get recommended for region free players, not sure if that's brand loyalty or actual quality differences though.

But I got it for like $100 a year or two ago. I assume there's a new model at a lower price, sadly I don't have any recc's on current one though. The one linked isn't 4k either, but I don't have a full 4k setup anyway so I don't mind. When I make the jump to 4k I'll "only" need a bluray player and an a/v receiver.

Even if you're watching in 1080p most of these remasters are completely worth it.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Kodiak posted:

UV code for Wonder Woman. Please post if you use it so others don't bother...

Got it!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MacheteZombie posted:

I own this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M0UC4K2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Most the time I see Sony's get recommended for region free players, not sure if that's brand loyalty or actual quality differences though.

But I got it for like $100 a year or two ago. I assume there's a new model at a lower price, sadly I don't have any recc's on current one though. The one linked isn't 4k either, but I don't have a full 4k setup anyway so I don't mind. When I make the jump to 4k I'll "only" need a bluray player and an a/v receiver.

Even if you're watching in 1080p most of these remasters are completely worth it.

Thanks for the tip on a region free player, I've been considering getting one for a while now.

Dare I venture into the blu-ray.com forums to see what region free player they recommend? My criteria pretty much boil down to "movies look and sound as intended" and "cheap". I don't care about wifi, I have a half dozen other devices to handle that need.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Thanks for the tip on a region free player, I've been considering getting one for a while now.

Dare I venture into the blu-ray.com forums to see what region free player they recommend? My criteria pretty much boil down to "movies look and sound as intended" and "cheap". I don't care about wifi, I have a half dozen other devices to handle that need.

I say go for it. As long as you're not diving into cover art, blu ray feature sets, and compression rates they tend to not be completely crazy.

I've been using their forums to track the niche distributor releases and those threads tend to be friendly and helpful.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

If you end up doing some research on what people recommend, please report back.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Here's a site that sells region free players for U.S residents (might ship internationally)

http://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-blu-ray-players.html?dir=asc&order=price&price=89-150

e: after looking at that site a bit more (pulled it from the avsforums), you have to add region free in the purchase screen and it adds to the price. the 99 player with region free is about 140.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 22, 2017

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah if any UK users have recommendations for region-free players that would be great. All I've been able to find is third party sites that whack a whole extra amount on top.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still have a multi region sitting in my parents house in the U.K. that I'll happily sell cheap to a goon next time I'm flying there, it's just not going to be for a while.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

EL BROMANCE posted:

I still have a multi region sitting in my parents house in the U.K. that I'll happily sell cheap to a goon next time I'm flying there, it's just not going to be for a while.

I'll take you up on this.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Picked up the Frankenstein, Dracula, and Mummy Blu Ray sets while they're on sale at Amazon for around $20 each. Great deals.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No probs, next time I know I'm heading back I'll signal you in here (or PM if I ever bother buying that back).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

For those who don't want to go region free, the Scream Factory release of Carrie uses the same 4K restoration. The extras also seem to be generally identical, too.

Daniel Bryan posted:

Picked up the Frankenstein, Dracula, and Mummy Blu Ray sets while they're on sale at Amazon for around $20 each. Great deals.

I'm on the fence for the Dracula and Wolf Man sets. I have the excellent 8-disc set with the main films and the Frankenstein one, so these sets overlap really badly. I really want Dracula's Daughter and Werewolf of London, but She-Wolf of London, House of Dracula, and Son of Dracula are all pretty bad movies.

At least the Mummy one doesn't have any overlap, but I recall all the sequels kind of stink.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Egbert Souse posted:

For those who don't want to go region free, the Scream Factory release of Carrie uses the same 4K restoration. The extras also seem to be generally identical, too.

Oh thank god, I was worried about having to double dip.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The first "sequel" is pretty good. The rest of the are actually sequels of that and do stink. The titles don't have anything to do with anything in the movies.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Speaking of region free, the BFI UK release of the silent Phantom of the Opera is about :10bux: USD right now on Amazon UK.

It has the Photoplay Productions restoration of the "1929" cut with Carl Davis' orchestral score, plus the only true 1080p remaster of the 1925 cut worldwide. It's also region free. Extras include original trailers, the surviving reel of the true 1929 cut, a deleted scene, and the documentary Lon Chaney: A Thousand Faces.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Phantom-Opera-Disc-Dual-Format/dp/B00E65SIL8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1506128826&sr=8-5&keywords=phantom+of+the+opera

The US Kino edition has a different transfer of the "1929" cut with different scores, an upscale of the 1925 cut, and a reconstruction of about 60 minutes of the true 1929 version assembled from sound discs and corresponding footage in the surviving prints.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
[quote="“Egbert Souse”" post="“476667303”"]
I’m on the fence for the Dracula and Wolf Man sets. I have the excellent 8-disc set with the main films and the Frankenstein one, so these sets overlap really badly. I really want Dracula’s Daughter and Werewolf of London, but She-Wolf of London, House of Dracula, and Son of Dracula are all pretty bad movies.

At least the Mummy one doesn’t have any overlap, but I recall all the sequels kind of stink.
[/quote]

I have no earthly idea why Universal thinks everyone needs at least 3 copies of Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein. It's a really good movie but c'mon. I hear good things about "Meet The Mummy" so I'm excited to pop it in eventually.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 23, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

UV code for Shin Godzilla. Please post if you take it so others don't bother: TAKEN.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 23, 2017

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Sir Kodiak posted:

UV code for Shin Godzilla. Please post if you take it so others don't bother: FGZW686XN15S4UH3.

I took it. Thank you!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Daniel Bryan posted:

I have no earthly idea why Universal thinks everyone needs at least 3 copies of Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein. It's a really good movie but c'mon. I hear good things about "Meet The Mummy" so I'm excited to pop it in eventually.
The alternative is people bitching that Universal made them buy a set or two of movies they didn't want.

Any ideas when more collections will come out?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Casimir Radon posted:

The alternative is people bitching that Universal made them buy a set or two of movies they didn't want.

Any ideas when more collections will come out?

They haven't announced any but it'd be nice to get The Invisible Man and Creature sets on Blu Ray soon.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Daniel Bryan posted:

They haven't announced any but it'd be nice to get The Invisible Man and Creature sets on Blu Ray soon.

They'll probably come next year since they did Dracula and Frankenstein last year with The Wolf Man and The Mummy this year.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Get Out is down to $10 on Amazon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I, Butthole posted:

Get Out is down to $10 on Amazon.

$10 at Best Buy as well, bought it there yesterday

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Arrow is releasing Wilder’s The Apartment in the US and UK in December. New 4K restoration and packed with extras, including a 150 page book.

https://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=the%20apart&product_id=1052

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Liquid Sky preorder is Thursday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
We’re running a 24-hour flash preorder for our Limited Edition Blu-ray release of LIQUID SKY and our (2) secret limited edition Black Friday releases. The flash preorder is scheduled for THIS THURSDAY September 28th atVinegarSyndrome.com. It will run for 24 hours, starting at 12:00 AM EST 'till 11:59 PM EST. There will be three different purchase options:
• LIQUID SKY
• LIQUID SKY + (2) Secret Black Friday Blu-rays
• Just the (2) Secret Blu-rays 

We can't reveal what the secret Blus are, but we can say that both are highly-requested direct-to-video horror films that were shot and finished on film and have never been available in film sourced editions. One is making its DVD and Blu debut and the other is making its Blu-ray debut, but no past editions of either have been film sourced.

Please note:
• Due to the fact that these are limited edition releases, we will require payment upfront.
• All preorders placed during this 24-hour period will be fully guaranteed, leaving you to enjoy a stress-free VinegarSyndrome.com Black Friday shopping experience.
• If you place additional orders during our Black Friday sale, everything will ship in one package and any additional shipping charges will be refunded.
• As an added incentive, these preorders will be the first to ship following our Black Friday sale (!!!).
• 2017 Yearly & Halfway Subscribers will receive these releases in their final shipment of the year.

• Locked thread